3 dead in shooting at U. of Alabama-Huntsville

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WolfOfOdin

countdown till former lawyer jack thompson blames vidya gamez

S

Skinny Santa

Apparently she didn't get tenure. Besides the loss of human life which pisses me off enough thats a shitty reason on any scale.

I was gonna ask why she had a gun in a goddamn college campus then I realized it was Alabama.

I was gonna ask why she had a gun in a goddamn college campus then I realized it was Alabama.
I couldn't find weather or not it was legal to carry a firearm on a college campus in Alabama but for the most part of the us it is illegal so I'm assuming it is in Al as well. Do you think she was worried about breaking the law when she went in their and killed people? hell no! It doesn't matter if it was against the law or not to carry a firearm onto a campus in Alabama that woman was going to do it regardless. A "Gun Free" zone only applies to people that follow the law. if you are a criminal are you going to not bring a gun because it's a "gun free" zone? That's like going to a store and they have a sign up that says "No Robbing" yeah like that's going to work. The only thing that is prevented by "gun free" zones is a law abiding citizens right to protect themselves, or a third party. In other words, I believe that was incredibly narrow minded of you.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

And another thing, that's like saying that you wondered why some guy went and killed a 4-month old infant and injured the mother with an ax in the city. Then you remembered it was Las Vegas. Citation: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35371791/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

C

Chibibar

I couldn't find weather or not it was legal to carry a firearm on a college campus in Alabama but for the most part of the us it is illegal so I'm assuming it is in Al as well. Do you think she was worried about breaking the law when she went in their and killed people? hell no! It doesn't matter if it was against the law or not to carry a firearm onto a campus in Alabama that woman was going to do it regardless. A "Gun Free" zone only applies to people that follow the law. if you are a criminal are you going to not bring a gun because it's a "gun free" zone? That's like going to a store and they have a sign up that says "No Robbing" yeah like that's going to work. The only thing that is prevented by "gun free" zones is a law abiding citizens right to protect themselves, or a third party. In other words, I believe that was incredibly narrow minded of you.

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

And another thing, that's like saying that you wondered why some guy went and killed a 4-month old infant and injured the mother with an ax in the city. Then you remembered it was Las Vegas. Citation: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35371791/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts[/QUOTE]

sadly that is true. This is one of my reason that gun ban doesn't really help (at least in the U.S.) criminal elements can still get guns.

Hell China and Taiwan has gun ban and guess what?? only the Triad and Mafia and police have guns..... yay.

M

makare

You guys are worse than the ones who instantly make it about video game violence or some shit. Can't we just focus on the fact that somebody went nuts and now people are dead without turning it into the same stupid gun argument again?

C

Chibibar

You guys are worse than the ones who instantly make it about video game violence or some shit. Can't we just focus on the fact that somebody went nuts and now people are dead without turning it into the same stupid gun argument again?
not trying to make it a gun argument really. I should be more clear. Basically it is reduce to human nature. This teacher seems unstable and no one really look much into it (even student complain some and other faculty) she is brilliant (according to her peers and graduate from Harvard) in her field and probably very skilled and knowledgeable. She didn't get what she wants (tenure) and decides to snap and kill her co-workers. What else is there? What solution do you suggest? On one side I guess people could keep an closer eye on each other and tell big brother when you think they are going to have issues but then it might cross into privacy.

I don't think these faculty member really thought a brilliant eccentric professor could just snap and start shooting people.

edit: Of course we can look at society as a whole and maybe we can figure WHY these things are happening? Is it too much stress at work? competition? lack of "human empathy"? lack of communication? In our society (well the U.S. anyways) a lot of people are so concern of getting the next paycheck to pay for their necessities and some of their lifestyle, that people neglect themselves. People may start not seeing the where they are heading and sometimes a "drastic" recourse is the only solution they can come up with. I don't know. It is a pretty complex issue if you really think about it.

The only reason I mention the gun issue is because someone might say that we need tighter control and thus things like this won't happen, but I just want to point out that gun control would not stop this women from killing her co-worker. We would need to look at our community as a whole and fix it (if anyone willing to do that) in order to resolve these issues. I mean there are more and more of these ourburst of crime at the school areas lately. Why is that? We don't hear many of these while I was in middle and high school. Is there something in the water? the food? (those crazy mystery meat) or something in our society has change so much in the last 20 years that cause kids to be more violent and blood thirsty as a whole.

I

Iaculus

I don't think these faculty member really thought a brilliant eccentric professor could just snap and start shooting people.
"RIIICHAAARDS!"

On a more serious note, best wishes to the victims' families.

A

Alucard

It's weird though that the shooting was done by a woman this time.
Maybe she just got pissed and decided to go on a shooting spree

Necronic

Staff member
"RIIICHAAARDS!"

On a more serious note, best wishes to the victims' families.[/QUOTE]

According to Emily Post the term 'Best Wishes' is generally used to comment on a happy occasion, like a birthday or wedding, whereas for a sad occasion the term 'My Condolences" or, 'My heart goes out' is more appropriate.

Apparently she killed her brother in 1986 and no one cared too much.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933...Text+-+Latest+Headlines)&utm_content=My+Yahoo

An Alabama university professor accused of fatally shooting three colleagues at a faculty meeting this week shot her younger brother dead at their home in the Boston suburbs more than 20 years ago, but records of it are missing, police said Saturday.

Amy Bishop shot her brother in the chest in 1986, Braintree police Chief Paul Frazier said at a news conference. She fired at least three shots, hitting her brother once and hitting her bedroom wall, before police took her into custody at gunpoint, he said.

Before Bishop could be booked, however, the police chief back then called officers and told them to release her to her mother, Frazier said. The shooting of the brother, Seth Bishop, was logged as an accident, but detailed records of the shooting have disappeared, he said.

\\"The report's gone, removed from the files,\\" he said.

The Harvard-educated neurobiologist who became an assistant professor at the Alabama school in 2003 has been charged with capital murder, and other charges are pending.

Police said a 9 mm gun was found in a restroom in the science building on the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus, where the shootings occurred Friday afternoon.

She was taken Friday night in handcuffs to the county jail, and said as she got into a police car: \\"It didn't happen. There's no way. ... They are still alive.\\"

District Attorney Ron Broussard said he did not think Bishop has a lawyer. Her husband, James Anderson, was detained and questioned Friday, though he has not been charged.

Ray Garner, a spokesman at the Huntsville campus, said Bishop had been denied tenure — a type of job protection afforded academics — months ago, and this was to be her last semester.

Some have said the professor, who students said was bright but had difficulty explaining difficult concepts, opened fire because of a dispute over the issue.

Students' assessments of Bishop varied. Some recalled an attentive, friendly teacher, while others said she was an odd woman who couldn't simplify difficult subjects for students. Sammie Lee Davis, the husband of a tenured researcher who was killed, said his wife had described Bishop as \\"not being able to deal with reality\\" and \\"not as good as she thought she was.\\"
Related Stories
Motive in Question as Professor Faces Murder Charge in Alabama Campus Shooting

Davis said his wife was a tenured researcher at the university. In a brief phone interview, Davis said he was told his wife was at a meeting to discuss the tenure status of another faculty member who got angry and started shooting.

Davis' wife, Maria Ragland Davis, was among those killed, along with Gopi K. Podila, chairman of the biological sciences department, and another faculty member, Adriel Johnson.

Bishop had created a portable cell incubator, known as InQ, that was less expensive than its larger counterparts. She and her husband had won $25,000 in 2007 to market the device.

Andrea Bennett, a sophomore majoring in nursing and an athlete at UAH, said a coach told her team that Bishop had been denied tenure, which the coach said may have led to the shooting.

Bennett described Bishop as being \\"very weird\\" and \\"a really big nerd.\\"

\\"She's well-known on campus, but I wouldn't say she's a good teacher. I've heard a lot of complaints,\\" Bennett said. \\"She's a genius, but she really just can't explain things.\\"

It was not clear if anyone at the campus of Bishop's bother's shooting.

Frazier said people who worked for the police department then remember the shooting of Bishop's brother and he planned to meet with the district attorney over the possibility of launching a criminal investigation into the report's disappearance.

The former police chief, John Polio, said Saturday in an interview at his home that he was astonished at any allegation of a coverup. He said he didn't call officers to tell them to release Bishop.

\\"There's no coverup, no missing records,\\" he proclaimed.

Attempts by The Associated Press to track down addresses and phone numbers for Bishop's family in the Braintree area weren't immediately successful Saturday. The current police chief said he believed her family had moved away.

GasBandit

Staff member

Yeah, she "accidentally" shot her 18 year old brother... three times. These days it just doesn't seem to register on people's radar who the wack-jobs are.

The start-up I work for was created because a female professor was denied tenure. She fought tooth-and-nail to transfer her grants to the private sector and found a company. I guess she wasn't creative enough to come up with the "shoot people" course of action.

C

Chibibar

She was also a suspect in a 1993 mail-bombing! http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/15/alabama.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1

Holy fuck! How was this woman able to stay free and own guns?
Well, she is a genius so it wasn't tied to her. I don't understand the shooting of her brother tho. Now sure how you accidentally shot your brother THREE times. Once, yes, two.... that is pushing it, but three?? unless it is an automatic weapon set to burst fire (3 shots per pull usually) well..... that is no accident IMO.

I

Iaculus

She was also a suspect in a 1993 mail-bombing! http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/02/15/alabama.shooting/index.html?hpt=T1

Well, she is a genius so it wasn't tied to her. I don't understand the shooting of her brother tho. Now sure how you accidentally shot your brother THREE times. Once, yes, two.... that is pushing it, but three?? unless it is an automatic weapon set to burst fire (3 shots per pull usually) well..... that is no accident IMO.[/QUOTE]

Merciful Odin, have these people never read a comic book?

GasBandit

Staff member

Because these are the days when you CANNOT JUDGE. You hatemonger.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Well, she is a genius so it wasn't tied to her. I don't understand the shooting of her brother tho. Now sure how you accidentally shot your brother THREE times. Once, yes, two.... that is pushing it, but three?? unless it is an automatic weapon set to burst fire (3 shots per pull usually) well..... that is no accident IMO.[/QUOTE]

It was a shotgun. Only the second blast hit the brother. The first went into a wall, the third into the ceiling.

C

Chibibar

It was a shotgun. Only the second blast hit the brother. The first went into a wall, the third into the ceiling.
Was it an autoshotty? ;) most civilian base shot gun you actually have to cock it after each fire. So if she accidentally shot her brother on the 2nd shot, it has to be "intentional" (I put into quotes since it was deemed accidental)

C

Chazwozel

She's not a genius. She's got delusions of grandeur. Her colleagues are even quoted in stating that she's not as good as she thinks she is.

Was it an autoshotty? ;) most civilian base shot gun you actually have to cock it after each fire. So if she accidentally shot her brother on the 2nd shot, it has to be "intentional" (I put into quotes since it was deemed accidental)[/QUOTE]

my dad has a semi-auto 410 (it cocks itself and loads another shell after each shot)

T

Twitch

We're probably going to implement a gun law here in AZ that will allow Profs. to carry concealed firearms.

doomdragon6

Staff member
I go to the University of Alabama. Not in Huntsville though, so that story might as well be in a different state to me..

C

Chibibar

We're probably going to implement a gun law here in AZ that will allow Profs. to carry concealed firearms.
In this case that would be just as bad since this WAS a professor![/QUOTE]

How would that be just as bad, Dave?[/QUOTE]

They can shoot back?[/QUOTE]

So being able to defend themselves is bad?[/QUOTE]

not necessarily. If they are trained in handling the weapon properly, probably can limit death, but if not, they could be all dead (stray bullets, panic, etc etc) instead of just 3.

C

Chazwozel

The start-up I work for was created because a female professor was denied tenure. She fought tooth-and-nail to transfer her grants to the private sector and found a company. I guess she wasn't creative enough to come up with the "shoot people" course of action.
To be honest though, getting to a tenure point professorship position at any university is borderline with your chances of becoming a pro-athlete. Actually I think the chances of someone who's good at football are far better at going pro than someone who's good at science getting a tenured professor position. I give Fade and Mind Detective mad props for getting where they are.

C

Chibibar

To be honest though, getting to a tenure point professorship position at any university is borderline with your chances of becoming a pro-athlete. Actually I think the chances of someone who's good at football are far better at going pro than someone who's good at science getting a tenured professor position. I give Fade and Mind Detective mad props for getting where they are.[/QUOTE]

It is a very prestigious position to obtain, but going "nuts" over it and killing people? not so sure about that, but then again, we are more "sane" thinkers so we probably won't do that.

C

Chazwozel

To be honest though, getting to a tenure point professorship position at any university is borderline with your chances of becoming a pro-athlete. Actually I think the chances of someone who's good at football are far better at going pro than someone who's good at science getting a tenured professor position. I give Fade and Mind Detective mad props for getting where they are.[/QUOTE]

It is a very prestigious position to obtain, but going "nuts" over it and killing people? not so sure about that, but then again, we are more "sane" thinkers so we probably won't do that.[/QUOTE]

The sad truth is that so many scientists devote 110% of their lives to the profession that often times they forget that it's not the end of the world if you don't make tenure. I've seen grad students get completely dumbfounded when I tell them I had no interest in being a post-doc. Unfortunately, it's a result of being brainwashed into thinking that post-doc/ academic research is the only thing in this world worth living for. Take that concept and mix it with a person with antisocial disorders and you get Alabama lady shooting up the joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.