Export thread

A Hat?

Gusto

Gusto

I've never owned a hat before, at least not one for blocking the sun, like a ball cap or whatever.

What's a cool hat that I could conceivably get within 2 weeks?

Recommend shit to someone who doesn't know better!

ElJuski

ElJuski

look into your favourite spourt team. You guys have stickball, or whatever, right?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Go get a 12 pack of Corona and collect the free hat! Think of it as a starter hat.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Whatever you do, do not get a fedora.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

He could totally rock a top hat.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

https://www.google.com/search?q=flo...dee735bb3&q=english+ivy+cap&safe=off&tbm=shop

These in many colors and patterns do I don upon my crown.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I used to have a skunk skin hat, until my dog got ahold of it one day.

... but that was also when I lived in Colorado. Would have been WAY too hot for Texas.

Gusto

Gusto

Rest assured, I'm not a sports guy and I will never wear a fedora in public.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Whatever you do, do not get a fedora.
Well, if he got a real fedora, like, proper size and fur-felt material, and wore a suit, like he was walking out of the 1950s all the time... Man, that'd be cool. I actually have a really nice black fur-felt fedora (but basically never have cause to wear it).[DOUBLEPOST=1376518073,1376517947][/DOUBLEPOST]
A colleague of mine rocks a variety of these. He buys a new one every time he travels somewhere, as sort of a practical souvenir. A lot of his friends wear them too so it's funny when they're out with us for drinks or something, since they all look like they're in some kind of club.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I never wear hats except when it's super-cold. (It's never cold in Texas)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nope, found it. Here's your hat (and goggles accessory).

Gusto

Gusto

I typically only wear fedoras when I'm already pretty drunk and have snatched it off someone else's head.

I also wore my Opa's once but that one was legit and from the 40's.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I've never owned a hat before, at least not one for blocking the sun, like a ball cap or whatever.

What's a cool hat that I could conceivably get within 2 weeks?

Recommend shit to someone who doesn't know better!

What is the intended purpose of said hat? Fashion? Function? NEED MORE DATA!

For working outside in hot weather I'm partial to a nice boonie hat myself. If it's for something more active like bicycling or hiking I prefer ballcaps. I do enjoy wearing my cowboy hat when it's Stampede time here.

Gusto

Gusto

This ain't helpin', yo.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh just go down to the mall and look in the skater/surfer stores for a baseball cap with a humorously subversive icon on the front. Bend the bill into approximately a 135 degree curve (no more than 150, no less than 100, CERTAINLY NOT ZERO OR 180), remove ANY AND ALL STICKERS AND TAGS, and be done with it like a normal person.

Gusto

Gusto

What is the intended purpose of said hat? Fashion? Function? NEED MORE DATA!

For working outside in hot weather I'm partial to a nice boonie hat myself. If it's for something more active like bicycling or hiking I prefer ballcaps. I do enjoy wearing my cowboy hat when it's Stampede time here.
Ultimately I want it to block the sun from my eyes. I can do that with literally anything so mostly fashion.[DOUBLEPOST=1376518728,1376518705][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh just go down to the mall and look in the skater/surfer stores for a baseball cap with a humorously subversive icon on the front. Bend the bill into approximately a 135 degree curve (no more than 150, no less than 100, CERTAINLY NOT ZERO OR 180), remove ANY AND ALL STICKERS AND TAGS, and be done with it like a normal person.
This guy's speaking my changuage.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Wear a concrete slab with an industrial sewing machine on it. Sitting at that sewing machine is a Chinese girl who is too young to work. She is making hats that will be sold cheaply in the US.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I will say it's worth it to find a cap with a buckle back instead of fitted or the plastic peg-and-hole strap. Looks like this:

Makes it much easier to achieve a comfortable fit to your head.

Gusto

Gusto

Except the "humourously subversive icon" part. I'll likely end up getting a flat colour ball cap.[DOUBLEPOST=1376519048,1376519021][/DOUBLEPOST]
I will say it's worth it to find a cap with a buckle back instead of fitted or the plastic peg-and-hole strap. Looks like this:

Makes it much easier to achieve a comfortable fit to your head.
Good tip, thanks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Except the "humourously subversive icon" part. I'll likely end up getting a flat colour ball cap.
An article of clothing with no logo or symbol or message on it can also be considered subversive. 90% of my T-shirts have absolutely nothing on them but the one shade of whatever color they are dyed.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

This is your new hat.

You personalize it by sticking items in the band, like keys or matches. And whenever anyone asks you tell them that "it's a story for another time."

GasBandit

GasBandit

This is your new hat.

Dude, that is the hat worn by the president of New Mexico Tech's anime club in 1997. I gave up anime for 4 years because of the kind of people who wear that hat.

You know, other than grandpas.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Dude, that is the hat worn by the president of New Mexico Tech's anime club in 1997. I gave up anime for 4 years because of the kind of people who wear that hat.

You know, other than grandpas.
So, Gusto?

'round here it's worn by people that want to express their outdoorsiness who have never spent a minute outdoors.

Gusto

Gusto

I'm neither of those people, and don't want to wear that hat.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

This is basically the exact hat I own, and wear (quite successfully) though mine's in better shape

Gusto

Gusto

Alright thread closed. @GasBandit is the only one who gets me. ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alright thread closed. @GasBandit is the only one who gets me. ;)
GasBandit is the only one who gets a lot of stuff.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

My brother always wears these:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Or how about....

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Gusto, what do you have against wearable child labor?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Look, I have just never seen anyone look good in a baseball cap. I like my Aussie hat. It is soft, it's good in all sorts of weather... mmhmm.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Look, I have just never seen anyone look good in a baseball cap. I like my Aussie hat. It is soft, it's good in all sorts of weather... mmhmm.
Never, ever, ever take any sort of fashion advice from this man.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

PatrThom

PatrThom

21008-2.jpg

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Idiot hipsters. Ruining fedoras for those of us who know how and when to wear one properly.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm pretty sure I've seen DarkAudit's awesome hats. Listen to this man, he knows his stuff.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Didn't we used to have a HalForum shop? As in, the one I bought my awesome big mug from? It had caps and hats with the durr logo on it.

That aside, fedora's rock. The people who've taken to wearing them are asshats. It's a crying shame.

And I think you need to listne to @Yoshimickster , he's obviously got awesome hat taste.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think you need to listen to @Yoshimickster
I'm pretty sure even Yoshi would agree that this phrase has never been said, ever.

Also, maybe the forum is messing up for me, because I can't see him as having posted in this thread.

Bubble181

Bubble181

He hasn't yet. I'm going by his avatar hat ;)

Dave

Dave

ElJuski

ElJuski

Idiot hipsters. Ruining fedoras for those of us who know how and when to wear one properly.
Do you mean Indiana Jones, or never?

Never is probably the most correct way to wear a fedora.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sez you...

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The only acceptable hat in Texas..

but unless you wear the giant belt buckle, they'll all know that you're a poseur.

(the sad thing is that only one of these things is a novelty item...)

Espy

Espy

Good grief. Gusto, don't listen to all these idiots.
Only one way to go, and that is the Heisenburg:
heisenberg.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Good grief. Gusto, don't listen to all these idiots.
Only one way to go, and that is the Heisenburg:
View attachment 11572
This is also known as a porkpie hat, and is indeed awesome.

It's also the hat that Yogi Bear wears, so there's that.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Don't get a hat that seems too stiff - it will sit oddly on your head.
Don't get the trucker mesh hat - the early 2000s have come and gone.
Don't get a hat made out of leather/suede/fur/felt - stick to cotton or a cotton-poly blend or linen.
Don't get a New Era flat billed baseball caps - those are ridiculous.

DO get a hat with either an elastic-fitted band or a velcro band - avoid the plastic snap kind.
DO get a hat that is neutral in color and logo - unless you have a hockey club that you support.
But, avoid giant logos or large embroidered logos.

For a plain ball cap, I'd go with one of these Amazon ball cap

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Never, ever, ever take any sort of fashion advice from this man.
Kid, I dress so well you don't even know. With your goddamn adidas sandals. Feh. It's not like I wear a kangaroo leather hat to my office. But it's a good outdoorsy hat, and damn if I don't look good wearing it.

Gusto

Gusto

Yoink! Purchased. XL, Navy.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Yoink! Purchased. XL, Navy.
Good choice! I have a black one. It's a bit faded now, but I've had it for nearly 10 yrs. Cheers!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Kid, I dress so well you don't even know. With your goddamn adidas sandals. Feh. It's not like I wear a kangaroo leather hat to my office. But it's a good outdoorsy hat, and damn if I don't look good wearing it.
Actually, I haven't worn adidas sandals in a while, the little woman has had me step up to these... I don't know what they are but they're a lot nicer and more expensive, have memory foam insoles and whatnot. Logo is a Q with 4 dots under it.

Does that ragged ratskin you put on your head have memory foam? I didn't think so.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Don't get a hat that seems too stiff - it will sit oddly on your head.
Don't get the trucker mesh hat - the early 2000s have come and gone.
Don't get a hat made out of leather/suede/fur/felt - stick to cotton or a cotton-poly blend or linen.
Don't get a New Era flat billed baseball caps - those are ridiculous.

DO get a hat with either an elastic-fitted band or a velcro band - avoid the plastic snap kind.
DO get a hat that is neutral in color and logo - unless you have a hockey club that you support.
But, avoid giant logos or large embroidered logos.

I feel like this needs to be set to music.

--Patrick

Gusto

Gusto

The great thing about Amazon is that there's a depot like 45 minutes from my house. So the cheapest kind of shipping that should take 6-10 days means that I'll have my hat on Monday, if not tomorrow, having ordered it less than an hour ago.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Actually, I haven't worn adidas sandals in a while, the little woman has had me step up to these... I don't know what they are but they're a lot nicer and more expensive, have memory foam insoles and whatnot. Logo is a Q with 4 dots under it.

Does that ragged ratskin you put on your head have memory foam? I didn't think so.
It does not.

I do like memory foam.

Gusto

Gusto

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I feel like this needs to be set to music.

--Patrick
I'll cut some vinyl soon. :notes::cool:

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

He hasn't yet. I'm going by his avatar hat ;)
Despite what my fabulous avatar may imply, I ain't much of a hat person besides the occasional baseball cap. Though I have always thought I could rock a bowler cap.

Gusto

Gusto

I rocked a bowler once. It was for Halloween but still.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I rocked a bowler once. It was for Halloween but still.
Just an evening with the droogs?

--Patrick

Gusto

Gusto

PatrThom

PatrThom

Close enough.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Don't get a hat made out of leather/suede/fur/felt
Those are the highest quality and longest lasting hats. Why would you want to steer him so wrong?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Those are the highest quality and longest lasting hats. Why would you want to steer him so wrong?
He seemed to want a plain ball cap, and a ball cap made out of that stuff will make your head literally sweat a ton.
If it was a cowboy hat, bowler, fedora, etc., then sure get the beaver pelt. ;)

strawman

strawman

...make your head literally sweat a ton...
I was about to slap you with a disagree, but figured I'd better check... just in case. Aaaaaaand given that the average human head sweats about one cup per day, and the hat should last over ten years, then yes - you may sweat a literal ton of water if you wear it daily, all day and night, in a warm environment.

However, that will happen whether you're wearing the cap or not. The question is does the cap allow the moisture to wick away and evaporate, or provides enough ventilation to allow evaporation of at least 1 cup per day. Leather and similar materials don't breath through the material, but a properly made hat with a simple sweatband and a few holes on the top will provide enough wicking/airflow to handle average sweating.

Remove the sweatband, shave your head (for a good seal) and seal the holes, however, and you'll have about a cup of sweat sloshing around up there after a 24 hour period.

And that's literally disgusting.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

Literally as emphasis is an acceptable use of the phrase and you're literally an overly pedantic dinosaur if you complain about it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Literally as emphasis is an acceptable use of the phrase and you're literally an overly pedantic dinosaur if you complain about it.
I will strangle you with your own tongue, you linguistic vandal.

strawman

strawman

Using literally for emphasis is like using your shoe as a hammer for roofing nails, as a fly swatter, and as something to throw when you're too lazy to get up and hit your friend in the head with your fist. It may get the job done, but if you have a sufficiently large vocabulary then you can use the correct emphasizing word that provides additional value and meaning to the conversation.

It is the vocal equivalent of using 'like' in your sentences, or adding zucchini to your brownies. No flavor is added - merely fluff and nonsubstance.

Like, you know?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done because it's being used incorrectly. I'm saying it shouldn't be done because it's a lazy word.

figmentPez

figmentPez

now-do-you-like-my-hat1sm.jpg

strawman

strawman

btw, I'm just in an argumentative mood, I don't actually care about word usage anywhere near as much as my previous post may suggest.

Though I will shoot you where you stand if you use "could of" - that's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I miss the days when @allen flipped tables over similes.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

"Could of," "should of," etc. drive me insane. But I literally couldn't care less about your stance on "literally."

strawman

strawman

I literally couldn't care less
AMBIGUITY!
:aaah:

GasBandit

GasBandit

But I literally couldn't care less about your stance on "literally."
You, sir, are figuratively worse than Hitler.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Does figuratively mean the same a literally?

Emrys

Emrys

Sure, why not?

GasBandit

GasBandit

NOW.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It literally does.

See? You don't know what this means, do you? THAT'S WHY!

Gusto

Gusto

I'm just gonna go ahead and Unwatch this train wreck.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm just gonna go ahead and Unwatch this train wreck.
What? Why? This could literally become the next " oh @Gusto " moment in history.

Also, we require pics of you in your new hat to feed our hunger.

Feed us!

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Ushanka. Also known as "bear pussy".

Gusto

Gusto

My hat came today, and it fits perfectly! Thanks again for the tip, @drawn_inward . :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

My hat came today, and it fits perfectly! Thanks again for the tip, @drawn_inward . :)
We can't wait for you to update your avatar to reflect your recent purchase.

--Patrick