A.I. is B.S.

Basically they invented CEOs
There's a reason many articles about A.I. in the workplace claim that, based on what A.I. seems to be good for, it's not the rank-and-file employees who need to worry about being replaced by algorithms--it's the executive staff. Because much like how chemistry starts to fall apart once you get the quanta small enough, it's much easier to build a predictive model around things that happen on a more macro scale...suuuch as the one where CxOs operate.

--Patrick

hunwhistle.jpg

"professional wrestler matilda the hun playing a recorder whistle"
Her broken finger gives her an advantage when hitting those low notes.

--Patrick

I got a wild hair to put a somewhat simple but abstract concept into chatgpt 4.0. I'm kinda impressed

I have a nonsense word: drelm. Figure out what drelm means from the context and explain it to me

John was feeling drelm because his grandmother had just died. He didn't particularly like her very much when she was alive. But she had left him a million dollars in her will
Chatgpt says
In the context provided, "drelm" appears to describe a feeling of complicated or mixed emotions. Given that John is feeling drelm due to his grandmother’s death, despite not being close to her, it suggests he is experiencing a blend of emotions—perhaps confusion, guilt, or ambivalence—about the situation. The sudden inheritance of a million dollars adds another layer to his emotional state, complicating his feelings further.
Re- interpret drelm as if John loved his grandmother when she was alive
If John loved his grandmother when she was alive and is feeling drelm, it could indicate that he is experiencing a complex mix of grief and emotional overwhelm. The term "drelm" might convey a deep sense of sorrow combined with the weight of her passing and the sudden change in his life due to the inheritance. He could be feeling both the loss of someone he cherished and the emotional impact of the significant financial windfall.

While this is funny and all, this still frustrates me because it illustrates the disconnect between what generative AI does and what people -think- it does. This person didn't win an argument against chatgpt because chatgpt doesn't -know- anything. It's just an elaborate parlor trick that manages to spin sentences that appear to make sense.

And I know you know this, I'm just venting into the void while we continue to spiral downward into the stupid apocalypse.

I put your question into ChatGPT and got the following response:
"Are we spiraling downward into a stupid A.I. apocalypse?"
ChatGPT said:
It's natural to have concerns about the future of AI and its impact on society. While there are certainly challenges and risks associated with AI, it's not necessarily the case that we're spiraling into an "A.I. apocalypse."

The development of AI brings both opportunities and risks. On one hand, AI has the potential to solve complex problems, improve efficiency, and create new possibilities in many fields. On the other hand, there are legitimate concerns about issues like job displacement, privacy, security, and ethical use.

Many experts and organizations are working to address these concerns by developing guidelines, regulations, and best practices to ensure that AI is used responsibly and ethically. The future impact of AI will depend on how we manage its development and integration into society.

It's important to stay informed, engage in discussions about the ethical use of technology, and support efforts to guide AI development in a positive direction. By doing so, we can work towards a future where AI benefits everyone rather than leading to negative outcomes.
There, you see? A.I. has investigated itself and found nothing wrong.

--Patrick

I worked with someone once who didn't watch animated movies and whose opinion was that the actors in those movies should never be nominated for/receive any awards because "...they're not really acting. It's the animators/artists who do all the 'acting,' they're just doing a voice."
When he transferred to another location, I gifted him a DVD copy of The Iron Giant. No word on whether it swayed his opinion, or whether he even ever watched it, though.

--Patrick

Amazon Games boss says AI won’t take away work, because ‘we don’t really have acting’

SAG-AFTRA union is currently striking against video game companies over their A.I. policies.

I think it's time programmers and artists start striking over so-called "artificial intelligence" as well, because there sure as heck isn't any intelligence going on with the leadership of game companies.
The reason I've played all of the Dragon Age games multiple times each (and pre-order the sequels) is not because of any amazing thing about the game mechanics or combat, it's because of the characters, specifically how the voice actors brought them to life like they're friends you're having adventures with. No AI-voiced Bull is going to say "MAYHEM!" with the mischievous joy of Freddie Prinze Jr. No AI is going to give us the masterclass of voice acting that Miranda Raison gave us over the end credits of Inquisition (Miranda voicing Cassandra imitating the other characters is *chef's kiss*). And yes, a lot of the characterization came from the writers, too, but they're also in danger of being replaced with AI by idiot CEOs (as are artists and programmers.)

Freddie Prinze Jr. talked about voicing The Iron Bull in an interview in Gamerant:
He explained that while James Vega was a relatively easy character to voice, Inquisition’s The Iron Bull was his favorite. That wasn’t just his voice acting role either, but his favorite part from across his decades-long career. “But The Iron Bull is the one,” said Prinze. “Like, that’s the voice that’s my favorite character that I’ve ever played, ever.”

The actor almost seemed surprised by what he said, noting how his favorite role was from a video game rather than She’s All That or the Scooby-Doo movie. Freddie Prinze Jr. also gave some insight into his performance in Dragon Age: Inquisition, explaining that BioWare wanted The Iron Bull to sound more like a stereotypical linebacker. However, Prinze didn’t feel like that fit the character and convinced the studio to let him experiment with different voices. After performances inspired by Thunderin Pete from The Micky Mouse Club and Winston Churchill, he settled on a combination of the two.

This is the voice that BioWare ultimately went with for The Iron Bull in Dragon Age: Inquisition. And while both of these influences are apparent if one knows what they are listening for, it’s almost impossible to imagine the giant horned warrior sounding like anything else. It’s therefore not unreasonable to suggest that Freddie Prinze Jr. is a big part of what made the character so beloved.

But yeah, sure, what do we need voice actors for, they don't do anything, let's just replace them all with AI. :rolleyes:

I'm all for replacing CEOs with AI, an AI certainly can't do any worse at the job, plus think of all the money saved getting rid of that bloated salary! Or just replace them with a Magic 8 Ball, it does the same job but won't turn into Skynet.

I'm all for replacing CEOs with AI, an AI certainly can't do any worse at the job, plus think of all the money saved getting rid of that bloated salary! Or just replace them with a Magic 8 Ball, it does the same job but won't turn into Skynet.
I'm sorry, but a magic 8-ball might get it right occasionally, thereby clearly showing it's not doing the same job.

This video was posted to reddit with a caption suggesting that y'know, maybe it might finally be time to think about some kind of formal regulation of A.I.:

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Orlando Bloom Spoke to Director Andy Serkis About New ‘Lord of the Rings’ Movies

Why is this in the AI thread?

“I really don’t know what [they are planning],” Bloom added. “I did speak to Andy [Serkis] and he did say they were thinking about how to do things. I was like, ‘How would that even work?’ And he was like, ‘Well, AI!’ and I was like, ‘Oh, OK!’ It was a pretty magical time in my life, and it’s one of those things where there’s not a downside to it.”
"Well, AI!"
"Oh, OK!"
:facepalm:

I'm actually attempting to make my own AI assistant that sounds like EDI from Mass Effect. Something that runs locally that I can use for voice commands with all my home automation stuff. Not sure if I want it to have any internet access though lol.

"EDI, turn on the lights. EDI, set the colours to Blood Moon. EDI, open the Stargate and dial home"

I'm actually attempting to make my own AI assistant that sounds like EDI from Mass Effect. Something that runs locally that I can use for voice commands with all my home automation stuff. Not sure if I want it to have any internet access though lol.

"EDI, turn on the lights. EDI, set the colours to Blood Moon. EDI, open the Stargate and dial home"
What are customizing to do that?

What are customizing to do that?
It's... complex.

Short answer: Build a PC that can handle one of the smaller large language models (the requirements to run a local copy of ChatGPT are EXTREMELY high so that's off the table). A local copy of a large language model like maybe Llama 3 or something along those lines. AI derived voice profile to sound like EDI (can be cloned from the massive amount of speaking lines EDI has in the Mass Effect games). A hell of a lot of fine tuning to get the responses you would expect from the chat assistant. Voice to text integration with room microphones and then strategically placed speakers. Integration with smart home programs that can control lights, displays, silly dioramas, etc.

I've seen a couple people doing similar projects and all the tools are out there nowadays. This is still a massive undertaking and will be something I work on for quite a while.

I know people here aren't very keen on AI but this is simply a personal project for fun that won't be allowed access to the internet. Think, a customized version of Alexa or Siri.