aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Thread starter Steven Soderburgin
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GeneralOrder24

And the number one movie in America was called "Ass," and that's all it was, for two hours.

Egads, don't start that again. We'll have 24 pages of insistence that bad movies are proof the world is getting dumber.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Even though these people are generally siding with me on this, I have trouble taking anyone who brings up Idiocracy in a discussion on culture seriously.

I heard that JGLevitt is pretty freaking insane as Cobra Commando. Even though I know it's going to be a horrible movie dude has earned his cred. I'll see it one way or the other just to see him.

Kissinger said:
Even though these people are generally siding with me on this, I have trouble taking anyone who brings up Idiocracy in a discussion on culture seriously.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Espy said:
I heard that JGLevitt is pretty freaking insane as Cobra Commando. Even though I know it's going to be a horrible movie dude has earned his cred. I'll see it one way or the other just to see him.
See, this is sort of where I am. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a really solid actor who tends to make some pretty brave choices. I certainly don't begrudge him this paycheck, and I'm curious what he'll do in a big time blockbuster. Also of note in this movie: Channing Tatum, a fine young upcoming actor.

Still probably gonna skip this unless someone makes a very compelling argument for it.

Espy said:
Wait, how did I miss this? I might have to check it out (on vid, of course). He's been pretty good in everything I've seen him in.

I've seen the toy for Cobra Commander and I really have to ask WTF? did they even do any film tests of his actuall masks? I have a hard time believing that the napkin would have looked that terrible on film.

Shakey said:
Tress said:
Shakey said:
It's GI JOE. Of course it's going to be crap wrapped in explosions.
But it doesn't have to be crap. I think some of the recent comic book movies have shown that movies based on source material previously reserved for children can rise above and become quality movies themselves. Iron Man and the first two Spiderman movies are good examples.
True, but those comics already had some fairly good story lines to work with. GI Joe never had that. The only thing that made GI Joe great was our memories of playing with the toys and watching poop blow up.
That's a fair point. Still, and I may be overly-optimistic here, I would like to think some good writing and directing could overcome the lack of source material. Instead, we've got shallow crap that is just as bad (if not worse) than the cartoon ever was.

At the risk of sounding Jingoistic, GI Joe should be a group of US soldiers. After all that is what the term means. If you want to have a UN/NATO force, come up with another property to use in that way.

sixpackshaker said:
At the risk of sounding Jingoistic, GI Joe should be a group of US soldiers. After all that is what the term means. If you want to have a UN/NATO force, come up with another property to use in that way.
:rofl:

While I understand where you're coming from, THAT is the least of this movie's problems.

I clearly remembering looking over to my woman after the seeing the trailer finished and saying, "I just felt Hollywood stick a huge black dildo in my ass because in no way, shape or form does this movie resemble G.I. Joe."

Not opening to critics? Ouch, is it really THAT BAD?

Kissinger said:
I must have missed the post you're referring to. Who invoked Idiocracy?

Kissinger said:
read some of the reviews that disagree with you
This is the main thing I go to Rotten Tomatoes for. I want to see how a movie rates on average, obviously, but I also want to know WHY people didn't like a movie that caught my interest. I read a smattering of negative reviews, then a couple of positive reviews and decide on my own.

R

Rubicon

Living in Charlotte, I have noticed a lot of tv promos for G.I. Joe, like more so than your usual movie hype, guess that explains why. Like every other commercial on tv has been for the movie.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Rob King said:
Kissinger said:
It was dis guy
GeneralOrder24 said:
And the number one movie in America was called "Ass," and that's all it was, for two hours.
That's a reference to the movie, which features a movie theater playing a film called "Ass"

Kissinger said:
Rob King said:
Kissinger said:
It was dis guy
GeneralOrder24 said:
That's a reference to the movie, which features a movie theater playing a film called "Ass"
Oh, alright. I thought you might have skimmed my post and concluded that that was what I was doing.

Tress said:
Shakey said:
Tress said:
Shakey said:
It's GI JOE. Of course it's going to be crap wrapped in explosions.
But it doesn't have to be crap. I think some of the recent comic book movies have shown that movies based on source material previously reserved for children can rise above and become quality movies themselves. Iron Man and the first two Spiderman movies are good examples.
True, but those comics already had some fairly good story lines to work with. GI Joe never had that. The only thing that made GI Joe great was our memories of playing with the toys and watching poop blow up.
That's a fair point. Still, and I may be overly-optimistic here, I would like to think some good writing and directing could overcome the lack of source material. Instead, we've got shallow crap that is just as bad (if not worse) than the cartoon ever was.
Personally I'd rather leave my childhood memories as just that. I really don't care what they do to anything I enjoyed as a kid. Like I said before, the only reason I really liked any of these shows was because they had some kick ass toys. My imagination was what made them enjoyable. I don't expect anything to change.

S

Steven Soderburgin

MindDetective said:
Pfft. Imagination is for...uh...people who...are...uh...dumb.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this post, if any.

Kissinger said:
MindDetective said:
Pfft. Imagination is for...uh...people who...are...uh...dumb.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this post, if any.
Use your imagination.

-- Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:55 pm --

In reality, I wasn't making any point. Just joking around. Did you think a point was warranted on the subject?

S

Steven Soderburgin

I thought that you might be trying to say that people who criticize movies like this don't have any imagination or something like that.

Kissinger said:
I thought that you might be trying to say that people who criticize movies like this don't have any imagination or something like that.
Oh lord, no. If anything, I'd say that movies that don't leave any room for your own interpretation (at least in some respect) are lacking. I'd rather not have a film that treats me like I can't fill in the pieces. Less is more, and all that.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Good! Yes! A great movie will respect the intelligence of its audience and actually excite the imagination! We're on the same page, there. :)

A

Alucard

Going to see it at the drive in this weekend as a hold over to District 9 and Inglorious Bastards

Greatly looking forward to seeing another Torantino film

Kissinger said:
Espy said:
See, this is sort of where I am. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a really solid actor who tends to make some pretty brave choices. I certainly don't begrudge him this paycheck, and I'm curious what he'll do in a big time blockbuster. Also of note in this movie: Channing Tatum, a fine young upcoming actor.

Still probably gonna skip this unless someone makes a very compelling argument for it.
Please, say that was sarcasm. Channing Tatum is a shitty, shitty actor. He's another Marky Mark, Ashton Kutcher, etc. It makes sense that he is in this movie.

I do agree that Levitt has some talent, and has made some interesting movies.

Charlie Dont Surf said:
Haha, wow, Channing Tatum might have the worst IMDB filmography I've ever seen
Well sure he was in Step Up and Step Up 2: The Streets, but that just means that when he's captured by Cobra, as shown in the tv commercials, he'll be able to dance his way out! It'll be great. Him and a bunch of Joes sent in to rescue him have a dance-off with Cobra Commander, Destro and others. The winners get the McGuffin. IT CAN'T FAIL!

S

Steven Soderburgin

drawn_inward said:
Please, say that was sarcasm. Channing Tatum is a shitty, shitty actor. He's another Marky Mark, Ashton Kutcher, etc. It makes sense that he is in this movie.

I do agree that Levitt has some talent, and has made some interesting movies.
Nah, I think he's got a lot of unrealized potential. He's certainly been in some bad movies, but I don't think he's the reason those movies were bad. I could be wrong about him, though. I suppose we'll see as his career develops.

EDIT: And yeah, he definitely doesn't have a very impressive IMDB profile, but he was noticeably good in A Guide To Recognizing Your Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.