All your guns are belong in this thread.

PCCs are technically classified as handguns, aren’t they?
...no? My Model 44 is still considered a carbine even though it is chambered for .44 Mag. I think there are lever-action .357’s, too.

Also correction to my earlier comment: “Marlin,” not “Martin.” DYAC

—Patrick

I mean, I would find that hard to believe, otherwise that would mean all those lever-action Winchesters would be “pistols” simply because they are chambered for .45LC.

At the federal level, at least, it is a “long-gun” if the barrel is >= 16in (18in for shotguns) and the overall length including stock is >= 26in. So something like a Thompson/Center Contender would not qualify as a “rifle,” even when chambered for .30-06.

—Patrick

My personal recommendation. I wish I could find one for myself. I want the .357 and shoot .38 special out of it for home defense. So I won't end up shooting too far through the walls.

My current home defense gun. $200 and I hope to never shoot it again.

As much as I love my Henrys, if $700+ is a bit too much of price, the Marlin 336 isn't a terrible option for a lever and it's only $550.

I will echo the Mossberg though. It's practically the Glock of shotguns.

Great gun info, very little politics. I've learned a lot from this website, I was already a gun nut when I went there.

I recommended the Herny because they actually make the .357. Marlin only seems to have it in the catalogue.

My personal recommendation. I wish I could find one for myself. I want the .357 and shoot .38 special out of it for home defense. So I won't end up shooting too far through the walls.

My current home defense gun. $200 and I hope to never shoot it again.
Hmm... Henry's are sold by my local gun shop of choice, so that's a definite plus. Let me root around on Pew Pew Tactical for a bit and see what I wander out of Bi-Mart with (after a successful federal background check, and appropriate waiting period, of course).

They are really good at figuring out what you want to buy. Youtube nutnfancy has good advice about finding out what you want a gun for. Hitchcock .45 is a good channel to see the gun you are interested in action.

My personal advice if you want to own guns. Buy in this order.

Shotgun, .22 pistol, .22 rifle, Glock 9mm, bolt action, AR-15.

A pump shotgun is very good for home defense and hunting if you buy a longer barrel to switch out. Many come with an 18 inch and 24+ inch barrel. .22 pistol or rifle are good to take to the range to learn to shoot. Take classes if you have no experience. I don't personally own a Glock but those guns are indestructible. And they go bang when you want, and do not go bang when you do not. Bolt action is if you are interested in long range shooting or hunting. AR-15 is a right and a responsibility but a terrible gun for a first time gun buyer because of the power.

Magnum Research BFR, otherwise known as the Ranger Sequoia. My god, who would snub that? If you want a gun that big for close work, just get a damn Taurus Judge.

I assume it's the handgun equivalent of the guy who attached a V8 engine to his BBQ grill to turn the spit, or the people who YouTube themselves counting how many ghost pepper chiles they can eat in one sitting, etc.

--Patrick

Well, to get back to actual gun ownership, I bought a Sig Sauer RM-400 today, with an economy red dot scope for it.
Can't show you an actual picture of the gun yet, because the background check hadn't gotten back in by the time they closed, but I'll be picking it up at lunch tomorrow.

Here's an internet pic of the gun, tho.
1597970593967.png

So, I consider myself left of center about many things, but I think a lot of Dem's and libs have their heads up their butts about gun control. It's theater. They don't make laws that actually curb gun violence. My state House passed a bill last year that would've made the above gun illegal because it's an "assault rifle". You know what the real difference between this gun and any other semi-automatic hunting rifle out there is? It looks scarier because it looks 'tactical' or 'military'. It's still just a rifle. For comparison, here's the difference between the ammo my AR-15 shoots (5.56 NATO or 223) vs the ammo my 30-06 shot.
1597970818716.png

Mmm... 30-06...
First time I shot it, it goes "whooom!", and all the guys on the line who were shooting .22's with their kids all look over real slow like "what the actual fuck...". I was not prepared. I totally scoped myself in the eye, and after the one shot, I trekked my ass back up to the gun shop on the hill above the range and bought two layers of gel pads for my shoulder.

First time I shot it, it goes "whooom!", and all the guys on the line who were shooting .22's with their kids all look over real slow like "what the actual fuck...". I was not prepared. I totally scoped myself in the eye, and after the one shot, I trekked my ass back up to the gun shop on the hill above the range and bought two layers of gel pads for my shoulder.
Sounds about right. I've only fired one once, and it was when I was 15 at Philmont. I think I had that kickback bruise for a week at least.

I use a 30-06 for deer hunting, a Savage 114. The gun is great, and I know when I shoot, it’s going down quick.
F2B39678-52D0-4F0C-BD4B-DE33857A96D4.jpeg

Helped my father sight in his 7x57* once as a teen. Later, I pondered whether he had not let me have a turn at it so much as he just wanted to rest his shoulder.

—Patrick
*it may actually have been a 7mm Remington Magnum? I just remember it was 7mm but not exotic.

Sounds about right. I've only fired one once, and it was when I was 15 at Philmont. I think I had that kickback bruise for a week at least.
I was wearing a tshirt with no padding for that first shot. Felt a lot like a horse kick. And if you've never felt a real horse kick, you only think you imagine what that feels like. But you're wrong.

But it only took once for me to learn ;)

GasBandit

Staff member
I used 30-06 to hunt deer back when I did such things. Can attest, that kick learns ya REAL quick to pull that buttstock tight.