Export thread

amagurumi and other crochet stuff

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I know there are other crochet folks here, so feel free to post in this thread if you want :) I don't consider it "mine"

As a reminder from the other thread, my first fox amagurumi I made ended up a bit crooked, so I put his ears on a bit crooked so it hopefully looked like he was tilting his head.
1634672436906.png

Fox #2 is already coming out a bunch better than fox #1. And faster! Everything you see here, I did today.
1634672372130.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Still have the tail and ears to go. I might actually get done today.
1634680806624.png

Emrys

Emrys

Do a doomweasel!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Do a doomweasel!
Once I don't suck, I might take requests :)

Not gonna finish tonight. I'm on the last ear. I've made 3 that were fine...and on this last one, i keep making crap after crap and having to trash them and start over. Pissy and frustrated, so it's clear I need to take a break. sigh

1634690188954.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Couldn't get that last ear quite right this morning either. I think if I make this one again, the ears are going to be done in all orange to avoid the black yarn magic loop and the color change before the magic loop is even finished. So frustrating! Instead, I'll embroider on the black tips like I embroidered on the nose.
complete 10-20-2021 sm.jpg
complete profile 10-20-2021 sm.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Do a doomweasel!
I've saved a couple of patterns for when I think I can do them justice
1634758546090.png

1634758562934.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Definitely coming back to me more and more. I started this guy just last night. He's gonna be a dinosaur. I am more than halfway through.
1635276257613.png

Emrys

Emrys

Definitely coming back to me more and more. I started this guy just last night. He's gonna be a dinosaur. I am more than halfway through.
View attachment 39263
You have a different definition of "halfway" than the rest of the world.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

You have a different definition of "halfway" than the rest of the world.
I was on row 14 of 20. I still gotta do the tail and stuff, though.
1635295454134.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

It's a bean!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's a bean!
It was....now it's...very nearly finished. I'll finish it up tomorrow. 3 more spikes along his back, and then a bit of embroidery on his belly.
1635309962263.png

Each one of those yellow spikes along his back requires a magic loop and then just a single row after that. They're such a pain in the ass. The wee arms, on the other hand, weren't nearly as difficult as they seemed at first.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

After all that bitching, the last spikes came out really easy. Only took me like 20 minutes to finish the entire thing once I was off work. He's so cute!

1635374121899.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

First one I completed in a single day....and now I have to wait for a while for more materials to get here!
10-29-2021 full.jpg

That mane, though..it had just about as many stitches in it as everything else combined!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

New addition to the growing family. Peep peep!

1635878628002.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

That's quite an ark you got there, Noah.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Getting faster the more confident I get in making the stitches..this little guy took about 2.5 hours to do.
The goal *isn't* speed, of course. It's consistent stitches. I think this guy is the first one I did where every row looks fairly parallel, so I'm super happy with it.

But with the consistency and the confidence comes speed. My first one took about two days to do, working like 5 or 6 hours each day. So I'm down to about 1/5 the time, and I can make a simple one in just part of a day working on lunch and breaks.

1635964301041.png
1635964318642.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, if anyone has become intrigued by my crochets, all of those animals are from TheWoobles. They sell beginner kits which have everything you need, along with patterns and step-by-step very thorough video instruction.

They just came out with some nice and chunky looking beginner no-fray yarn, which I would have loved to have started with!

If you think you might want to get into crochet or learn to make some cute amigurumi, I have an affiliate link. It'll give you $5.00 off your first order, and in the interest of full disclosure, will give me $5.00 off a future order, too.

I've already got all of their beginner kits, which means to re-do them, all I really need is yarn and plastic eyes. And I've got those already too--it's how I made a 2nd fox without buying another kit. But I wouldn't mind re-buying a couple to just try out that new yarn.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Little penguin amigurumi complete!

1637329775396.png

I have a cat kit and a unicorn kit still to complete from the Woobles company, and then I'm gonna just start going off on my own. They have a really nice looking axolotl kit, but it's been sold out forever. But, I'm feeling pretty confident that I've learned enough skills that I could make that one by referring to the patterns that I've already built from them. The body is pretty much the same as the fox or the chick, and the belly is the same as the fox or the penguin. I can embroidery the VV mouth pretty easily, and I think I could refer to the lion's mane instructions to make the gill structures. So, I'm thinking I'll give that a shot once I finish out the last two kits I already have.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, after making 7 amigurumi using beginner kits from TheWoobles, someone asked me if I could make a baby beanie. I dunno if I can, and I was slightly terrified of doing anything on my own without videos and stuff to hold my hand at every step. But I was determined to break out of my hand-holding, so I looked up a pretty simple pattern. Eek, I have to learn a new stitch: the double crochet!

When I first thought I wanted to learn to crochet, I bought a 'beginner kit' with a bunch of sample yarn (about half skein sized), and various hook sizes. I was told the baby liked purple, and I happened to have some. My kit also had the appropriate sized hook.

A quick YouTube tutorial showed the double crochet wasn't that hard at all. And since it makes big chunky rows, I'm finding it easier to deal with than single crochets. Those beginner kits really helped my confidence and ability to just jump right in on this project.

1637524785490.png

1637524915615.png

4 rows down (3 shown in picture). 8 rows to go. It'll end up being about as many stitches (500-ish) as one of those little amigurumi, so maybe I'll finish tomorrow or day after.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Something to work towards:
1637530475345.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

sorry, I can only offer you this
1637538240650.png

1637538281534.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

sorry, I can only offer you this
View attachment 39502
This makes me think you should try to do the little guys from Trivia Murder Party.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

This makes me think you should try to do the little guys from Trivia Murder Party.

--Patrick
Those would eminently doable if I had a pattern. The only thing I can find, though, is someone bragging on pinterest and reddit that she made them freehand. And I'm not up to that yet.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

20211122_182904.jpg

4 rows to go

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

All done. It was a simple pattern.. new stitch, repeated 512 times with some simple slip stitches and chain stitches to join rows
20211123_001607.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Omg. What have i gotten into? This is the first 1.25 rows of a "beginner" blanket kit. I can't see what I'm doing!

1637778449286.png

Bubble181

Bubble181

Omg. What have i gotten into? This is the first 1.25 rows of a "beginner" blanket kit. I can't see what I'm doing!

View attachment 39541
Careful or your next delivery is fake feathers on a string to make the Hedwig a bit more life like:p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

once I got off the first row of chain stitches, and onto real crochet stitches, it got a lot easier to find where to put the hook. 5 rows in...still got about 8.5 skeins of yarn to go. lol

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's the never-ending crochet

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

--Patrick
I tweeted the idea of crochet patterns @ Jackbox. Maybe something will come of it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

almost 2 skeins of yarn in the blanket so far..7 skeins to go.
1637960024987.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

OMG, I need to get back to making the little amigurumi I can make in a couple of days. These blankets are gonna kill me. I might be able to make 10 blankets before I die of old age :)

Anyway, WIP update: 5.5 skeins of yarn in, 4.5 to go. I can only manage 3-4 rows at a time before my hands get tired, because I have to push the hook through all that fur, and because I have to feel around for the next stitch with my yarn hand (since you can't see them due to the aforementioned fur).

1638540826737.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Just think of it as Shaolin training.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I tweeted the idea of crochet patterns @ Jackbox. Maybe something will come of it.
@PatrThom No reply from Jackbox. So I asked on reddit, and got pointed to the facebook page of someone who'd made them before. Contacted them, and...
1638548730755.png

So...sooooon! :D

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, I have learned that in crochet, to undo your work is called "frogging". Because it means to rip out your stitches, and if you say "rip it, rip it" it sounds like a frog. Cute.

I mention this, because I see so many people on crochet boards that I'm on recommending frogging back to the beginning when someone messes up. And while that may be the right answer, every time I see it, I cringe. So I made this meme.

1638741352703.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Yesterday, i had 4 skeins of yarn to go. I *really* wanted this to get done this week. So I put on movies yesterday and today, and just powered through.
1638762041201.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Can't post this one on FB or Instagram yet..it's a Christmas present to a cat lover :)

20211206_152757.jpg
20211206_152814.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Last amigurumi I needed to make for Christmas. Time to take a much-needed break :)

1638905285562.png
1638905267473.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Time to take a much-needed break :)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I didn't take a break. lol
It's hard to believe I've been doing this for only 2 months.

Axel the Axolotl!
20211209_001331.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Started this one last night and just finished it. Big yarn, and double crochets mean that I worked this up in only 13 rows. By comparison, most of those little stuffed animals are 20 rows + add-ons.

I have a bunch of 'impulse buy' yarn. I got this Yarnspirations color-changing O'Go hat making yarn--it was supposed to have enough yarn for 2 caps. Got home and noticed the instructions were for knitting, not crochet. Bummer!

Not caring a whit, and wanting to eat up some yarn, I grab a beanie tutorial on YouTube. Partway through I realize that this yarn is WAY bigger than her yarn, so I just start adjusting on the fly. I made less rows than her pattern called for. I started decreasing about 4 rows before the end so it's not too loose on my head. It all seemed to work out ok. And I used exactly half of the yarn, so I can make another one in a different color

Could have have been a disaster. But I don't mind how it turned out. Next one will be a little better.
1639180827607.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

hat turned out better 2nd time around. It helped that I had enough yarn to make the decorative bottom stitches to roll up.

1639503660803.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Last beanie for a bit..this one is a gift :)
Amigurumi are mostly single crochet, but these beanies are double-crochet, so it's a good way to get practice in on the new stitch while still making something nice to gift someone.

1639681428448.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I decided to get....ambitious...last night.

1639844263115.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So I posted in the Random Crap thread: I met a group of crafty women on NextDoor. Crafty as in "makes crafts" and not as in "spies for a foreign government." They invited me to come over and do crafts with them as a social group on Saturdays. It was exactly what I thought it'd be: A bunch of single women from 40-65 years old, so I got a lot of attention. They all wanted to feed me and several asked for my phone number.

Everyone brings a craft they're working on, but there was no way I was schlepping that blanket out to work on at someone's kitchen table. It would just be too unwieldy. So I started a little polar bear amigurumi while I was there. Things really do fly by when you're chatting and having fun while crafting. I got all of this done in a couple of hours. He only needs the snout and scarf to be finished.

1639870367213.png

There were a couple of ladies there who did crochet, but neither of them did "in the round," which is how all amigurumi are made. they were blown away when I just looped up some thread, and did some free-standing crochet stitches on the loop, and then pulled the free tail end to close it into a hole-free start to my pieces (a "magic loop"). Made me feel super accomplished, even though I've only been doing this about 8 weeks now.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

WIP update. This yarn feels like crocheting with a bath robe. It's so thick, one stitch = about 1 inch.

Each of these rows is about 59 stitches across. By comparison, one row on a little amigurumi's about 32 stitches across at it's widest point. That means this stuff is working up *fast*

1639948823133.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I ran out of yarn for the blanket. :'(
So, while I wait for the resupply to arrive, I had time to kill.

20211220_173630.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

He needs a tiny Coke.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

He needs a tiny Coke.
Yeah, for sure. It's obvious where the idea came from. I've heard that sentiment from others :D
1640046053856.png

The pattern is named "Lola Loca the Bear" though...probably so they don't get in trouble with the Coke police. :D

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, someone asked for one of those fur blankets in bi pride colors. So, I ordered "blue bengal", "violet starling" and "pink poodle". I must say, I'm pretty disappointed in these colors. The purple is nice and purple. But the blue isn't blue at all. It's white fur tufted onto a blue yarn, so hardly any blue shows through at all. And the pink? It has a distinct orange-ish cast. I'm glad I'm not charging for this thing. :(

2/3 done. Got one row of 'pink' in before I decided to be done for the night. Will probably finish it up tomorrow. The rest of my yarn for the big blanket showed up today, so I'll probably be working on that for the next week or so.

1640327530156.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

For reference, this is what the blue and pink were supposed to look like...nice muted colors like the purple, but definitely, you know, blue and pink.
1640371357094.png

1640371404759.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Maybe they figure that's what'll happen after a few washings?

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

For reference, this is what the blue and pink were supposed to look like...nice muted colors like the purple, but definitely, you know, blue and pink.
View attachment 39890
View attachment 39891
I hate when you order something online and the color looks completely different. Still, I think you're making a nice blanket!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I hate when you order something online and the color looks completely different. Still, I think you're making a nice blanket!
Well, the pink is definitely more 'peach' in real life. And the blue does show a little more than is evident from this picture. The blanket was a gift, and she was a bit sad that the colors didn't turn out as depicted online, but she loved it anyway.

The different colors had different amounts of springiness, so the purple tended to shrink in the middle. I was going to block the piece (pin it to foam board, and steam it) to set all the edges straight, but she showed up on lunch yesterday and didn't want to wait for the procedure because it'd mean she would have to wait another day to take it home :D

1640852887597.png

Bonus pic: 4 skeins of yarn left to go on the king-sized bedspread I'm making for myself. Should be done tomorrow, just in time for winter to actually hit here.

1640852992126.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

All done, just in time for the new year.
1641009061722.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Love the color!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Love the color!
thanks! That color green is one of my favorites

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Had some rewards vouchers, and Michaels was having a sale...plus they give military discounts. So I made away with this haul for...$1.43
1641100486323.png
1641100502977.png

It seemed like a mighty fine time to start on this cunning hat...

1641100630510.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Had some rewards vouchers, and Michaels was having a sale...plus they give military discounts. So I made away with this haul for...$1.43
View attachment 39963 View attachment 39964

It seemed like a mighty fine time to start on this cunning hat...

View attachment 39965
A man goes out with a hat like that, people know he's not afraid of anything!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

A man goes out with a hat like that, people know he's not afraid of anything!
1641153931815.png

Soon, I will fear nothing.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's pretty cunning, don't you think?
1641251480973.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Shiny.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I got on a Firefly kick while making it--played the series on the Plex while crocheting. Then I got excited and ordered all this crap from amazon.
1641252810307.png

Guess I'll be going to Dragon*Con (provided they don't cancel it for Covid or somesuch) as a fat Jayne Cobb. First time cosplaying anything other than ren faire gear.

Point of note: My camera brightened up the selfie pics. The colors are a lot more drab, like in the first progress pic I posted above...the yellow is really more of a dirty gold color.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Next project: Fingerless gloves. This one has a couple of new techniques for me to try out, plus I really am getting a kick out of making wearables.

The wrist cuff has single crochets, which I'm well acquainted with, but done in "back loop only" style, which causes that ribbed effect, which I like and is new to me. Where the wrist joins the glove has half-double-crochets, which are new to me, followed by double crochets, which are not. But there's a "3rd loop" in half double crochets, and working into those (instead of the standard top loops) creates two decorative stripes of "V"s near the wrist.

I'm liking this project..it's always fun to make something new and learn something new at the same time. This glove's about 80% done. Should be able to finish it tomorrow and get a start on the right-hand glove.

1641362825959.png

drifter

drifter

I really am getting a kick out of making wearables.
I wonder how much one could make on Etsy selling crocheted merkins.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

First glove done. There's a small error in one stitch about 6 rows from the fingers. But I'll be damned if I'm gonna undo everything to fix it ;)

1641405552899.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

There's a small error in one stitch about 6 rows from the fingers.
Imagine what it would look like with spikes around the wrist and studs on the knuckles.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Imagine what it would look like with spikes around the wrist and studs on the knuckles.

--Patrick
yeah, someone on FB suggested making it in grey as part of a chainmail set

Celt Z

Celt Z

It looks likes it's missing some Infinity Stones.

PatrThom

PatrThom

yeah, someone on FB suggested making it in grey as part of a chainmail set
No, no. Keep it 100% obviously crocheted in bright colors. Just with spikes.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It looks likes it's missing some Infinity Stones.
Someone made that observation, too :) The original pattern was much daintier, but I used a heavier yarn and marginally larger hook because I was more interested in 1) being warm and 2) fitting my big man hands. Plus, I picked a rough and rustic looking yarn--and, well, my stitches are still a little rough.

Here's the pic from the original pattern at https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fingerless-gloves-218
1641425962053.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

As is usually the case, the 2nd time around doing new things, the stitches are a little cleaner and tighter, and the fit is a little better.

1641485765576.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The most satisfying thing? This yarn was in a 1 pound skein, which was just too much and too unwieldy. So I wound off a smaller cake. At some point, I said "that's enough" and cut the cake off. This is what's left of that cake. So satisfying!

1641491077282.png

big 7 oz skein for comparison. 1lbs is slightly more than double this size.
1641491136650.png

Yarn wound into cakes with a yarn winder
1641491224122.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ahh, if you had only started this thread a few years ago. My MIL closed her company December 2019, which was a high-end knitwear company. Funny enough, one of the items they sold was a glove similar to the one your making. Anyway, they had to get rid of SO. MUCH. YARN. So may colors, so many types. I could have shipped you skeins that you could have opened your own Etsy shop.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

This one was a real challenge. It's not perfect, but considering that I used two different types of yarn from two different brands (red is acrylic, white is cotton) that were slightly different weights, I think it didn't turn out half bad. Part of the challenge was translating the pattern from Danish to English and hoping I didn't screw anything up.

New technique in this one: Blocking. This is where you pin pieces to a foam board and use water or steam to set the shape. Both the red and white bits wanted to curl something fierce, and there was no way I was going to be able to braid/assemble them without blocking. Luckily, I already had a clothes steamer from when I moved to TX and put all my stuff in luggage.

resized 20220108_143851.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Started Ralph the Reindeer on New Years' Eve but since Christmas was already over, I didn't feel any great rush to finish him up.

Since I'm between projects, I figured I'd finish up the snout and antlers and get 'er done.
20220109_230533.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Those are some teeth on Cletus the Reindeeer.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Those are some teeth on Cletus the Reindeeer.
I have to get ready for work right now, so let's all just pretend I wasted an hour here putting together lyrics for "Cleetus, the Slack-Jawed Reindeer."

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, I figure, how can I learn to crochet if I don't learn granny squares? They're like, the bedrock of the craft. But before I get into that, I had a pattern for a "granny heart", which is made very similar to a granny square, but ends up as a heart shape. Plus, it had a new stitch for me to work on.

New technique for this: The treble crochet.
20220110_131707 sm.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm going to an LGBTQ event later this afternoon. It's outdoors, it's supposed to be 30 degrees outside, and I gave away all my beanies.

So, I stayed up late making this fabulous beanie for the occasion.
20220115_032612.jpg
20220115_032539.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's a built-in icebreaker.
"Cool hat!"
"Thanks! I made it myself."

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's a built-in icebreaker.
"Cool hat!"
"Thanks! I made it myself."

--Patrick
I had much the same thoughts :D

Edit: Sadness!
1642267828351.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Teeny tiny hook and teeny tiny yarn make for a teeny tiny head
1642548257573.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

And...the rest of him :D
20220120_225319.jpg
20220120_225226.jpg
20220120_225231.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Are you guys tired of me yet? lol I know I've been going like gangbusters, but I don't have much else to do at the moment ;)

1643242759597.png
1643242772092.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ooo! Now make Timon!

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Ooo! Now make Timon!

--Patrick
The lion and warthog was already with a thread and hook size far smaller than I'm accustomed to. To do Timon so that he matches the sizes of those two, I'd need to use embroidery thread and a .5mm hook, I'm sure :(

Celt Z

Celt Z

To do Timon so that he matches the sizes of those two, I'd need to use embroidery thread and a .5mm hook, I'm sure :(

C'mon! That's quitter talk!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I've been putting off making a cable scarf, because I'm not ready for it. All my test runs on scrap yarn are terrible. It requires a lot of front post and back post double crochet stitches to make the cable pattern, and I need practice. But you know what I'm ready for that also uses those stitches (on the decorative bottom rows)?

Yup, another beanie.

This one is in a bulky weight alpaca wool blend and it's super warm! It took me about 3 hours all told to make, so I'm getting better/faster at them.

1643404409018.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

The angle of the photo makes it look like a hat one of my Strawberry Shortcake dolls would wear. I think it's the thickness of the band.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The angle of the photo makes it look like a hat one of my Strawberry Shortcake dolls would wear. I think it's the thickness of the band.
I can totally see that

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I had yarn left over, but not enough to make anything big. So I pulled out that old penguin pattern from the first page. The yarn weights were totally different. So, I had to use a different hook, and it ended up nearly an inch taller than the original penguin. So, because I was using smaller weight yarn for the belly and beak, I had to freehand extra rows and just use my experience to know when to increase stitches.

Since I was on a roll, I decided to add some more creative additions, freehand--the under-eye feathers help the eyes pop, I think. And I used a heavily modified version of the one-row heart pattern I made for my beanies, so that it made a clover shape instead of a heart shape, which worked great for feet. I'm so happy with how this turned out, and so proud of myself for being able to just one-the-fly make creative decisions that worked out .

1643440347967.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's a tiny Totoro!

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I got an email today with a new Woobles kit in it. And I looked at it and went "I think I already know how to make that!" So I did. No pattern, no kit mailed to me. I'm probably the first person in the world (besides the company owner/employees) who has made this thing because I didn't buy it and wait for the mail :) I'm awful proud of myself.

I did it in size 3 yarn I had lying around it the appropriate colors. These are usually done in size 4 yarn, so I'm including a pic comparing its size to the latest penguin I did in size 5 yarn. Their bodies are the exact same pattern to make the egg/potato shape.

1643752892173.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

A good choice, considering the date!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

A good choice, considering the date!
That's why I made it :) The Woobles company sent out a "limited edition lunar new year tiger" kit email, but looking at the pic in the email I said to myself "I'm pretty sure that I can make this already just from looking at the picture. I don't need their kit" :D Every design element on the tiger, I've already done from one or another of their kits. It was just a matter of going "ok, ears like the fox, cheeks like the lion, tail like the cat" etc

PatrThom

PatrThom

"ok, ears like the fox, cheeks like the lion, tail like the cat" etc
Hey it's one tiger, not five lions.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I posted my pic on a facebook group dedicated to the Woobles company, and everyone's freaking out about how I got my kit so fast...lol

PatrThom

PatrThom

everyone's freaking out about how I got my kit so fast...lol
There are people who can follow directions, and there are other people who can figure out the reasons behind those directions.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

"ok, ears like the fox, cheeks like the lion, tail like the cat" etc
That's how wwe ended up with gryphons and sphynxes and chimeras and stuff :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Little pink lovebird for Valentine's day. As an experiment, I used 2mm paracord for the pink, to see if it was easier to work with than yarn. I figured the woven cord wouldn't split like yarn can, but it came with a whole host of other problems--notably being extremely stiff. That made it super-hard to work with. My hands hurt something fierce, and I've already put the remainder of the paracord in the trash.

That said, I think it turned out pretty cute!

1644539426057.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Dipping my toe in to the "corner to corner crochet" waters. It's a way of making blankets/afghans from, you guessed it, corner to corner instead of row by row. Because this yarn is variegated, it makes the steaks of color pool up in the clusters that this form of crochet uses. This is going to be a baby blanket for a family friend.

1644897743230.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I should do these long projects more often, so I quit spamming you guys lol

Baby blanket is done, but could use some blocking to even out the borders.
20220220_143613.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Bless the Maker and His water.

1645637777927.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Some things don't need to be knit! Fear is the mind-killer, indeed...

Emrys

Emrys

Bless the Maker and His water.

View attachment 40715
That is awesome!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Did I buy a lightbox just so that I could get better pictures of my amigurumi?

Mayyyybeee.. :D

1645734202694.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

If I didn't know better, I would swear this belongs in the NSFW forum.

Which would be a repeat for you, of all people.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

If I didn't know better, I would swear this belongs in the NSFW forum.

Which would be a repeat for you, of all people.
That'd be a whole new kind of dentata fetish, for sure.

Incidentally, everyone is making phallic references...
1645736701775.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

That'd be a whole new kind of dentata fetish, for sure.
It's an untapped market, a void waiting to be filled.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

... a void waiting to be filled.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It's been nearly two weeks. I thought I'd cut you guys a break. But I'm back :D
Lookit the cute little stingray!

1646780427931.png

Edit: I'm getting more and more sure with making oddly shaped pieces. I think I may be ready to tackle one of those ferret pieces I bought, soon.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sooooo I might have a request

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Do you have a pattern? :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

Do you have a pattern? :D
Alas, no. And this was an etsy one-off that is already sold and gone. I don't think the maker shares their patterns.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Alas, no. And this was an etsy one-off that is already sold and gone. I don't think the maker shares their patterns.
ah well...maybe one day I'll be good enough to make my own patterns. But I'm still a noob

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1647174793080.png

When us boys were very young, my family didn't have a lot of money. To help make ends meet, my mom would make all kinds of crafts and sell them at the flea market. Ceramics, candles, etc. Sock monkeys became a bit of a hit at her stall, and I remember her making a ton of them at the kitchen table.

So when I ran across this pattern I had to make it for her, as a way of letting her know that I remember those days and that I appreciate all she did for us.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Who thinks owls are cute?
Who? Who?
it's @Bubble181, that's who

1647904098835.png

1647904116023.png

(him's got a cute little owl tail!)

Celt Z

Celt Z

Bubble the Huggable!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Bubble the Huggable!
... But.... But.... I'm huggable too :oops:

PatrThom

PatrThom

... But.... But.... I'm huggable too :oops:
Pics or it didn't happen.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Pics or it didn't happen.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Bubble the Huggable!
More like Bubble the Squeezable...it's about the same height as your banana-man, so it's...stress ball sized?

That said, I have another owl pattern I've already started on. I picked up some Bernat Blanket O'Go yarn on sale, and couldn't think of anything to make with it. Luckily, there's a website: Yarnspirations, where you can search by all kinds of things for free patterns--including yarn. I found a pattern that reminded me a lot of the scholastic owl clipart every elementary school teacher seems to use some variation of. Since I had the yarn, and the pattern was free, I figured what the heck.

clipart.png
1647966517257.png
1647966634209.png
1647966659466.png

This is blanket yarn. It's in the "super bulky" category. Meaning that for the same number of stitches, I'm getting a stuffy that's easily 2-3 times the volume of the little stress ball owl. This one will be huggable :D

Expect an update in a few days.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1648097635006.png

His eyes are a little goofy, but I guess he's owl right. I've taken to pinning these things before I sew them, but they still shift :( I may end up having to secure then with a couple drops of hot glue first, just to make sure that doesn't happen.

And a size comparison, with my hand, to show the relative differences.

1648097678594.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Been working on a pair of booty shorts for a female friend off and on since February. At one point, I realized they were too big, so I ripped all the stitches out and started over.

So, I brought her over, stripped her down so that the measurements would be precise, and wrapped my foundation chain around her hips, adding a few at a time until it was a perfect width. I have one leg to go. Should finish them today.
1648314561750.png

As it so happens, because girls are curvy in the hips, and I'm just fat, we share a very similar hip size. So, I decided to give them a try before I bring her over to try them on. I felt naughty and just a little gay trying them on for fit.
20220326_113715.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

How you doin', Grimace?

GasBandit

GasBandit

How you doin', Grimace?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

How you doin', Grimace?
Lol, she likes purple (shrug).

Finished, not worn shorts
1648336269380.png

MindDetective

MindDetective

FB_IMG_1648344059490.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Sorry..this one's not mine, but this is the kind of twisted shit I love to see on reddit.
1648354635559.png
1648354654319.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

He's not wrong.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

they look so much better on her.
1648680319366.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Appreciate how you angled that shot to show off more skein.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

This pattern was marked as 'easy'. Let's just agree to disagree, Yarnspirations.

Little elephant sure is cute though :D

20220401_000556_sm.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

On the other hand, this cute and chunky jellyfish actually was easy. And actually took less yardage of yarn than the elephant--even though I could probably stuff 20 of those elephants inside of it.

1648930395189.png

evilmike

evilmike

On the other hand, this cute and chunky jellyfish actually was easy. And actually took less yardage of yarn than the elephant--even though I could probably stuff 20 of those elephants inside of it.

View attachment 41120
Are we just ignoring the skulls of its victims?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm finally starting to get pretty happy with how my stuff is turning out.
20220404_160038.jpg

Emrys

Emrys

I'm finally starting to get pretty happy with how my stuff is turning out.
View attachment 41135
Would you consider selling it and if so, how much?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Would you consider selling it and if so, how much?
Oh man...I dunno. I don't even know what a fair price would be. I've already stuck him in the place of honor among my other Cthulhu collectibles.
20220404_164234.jpg

He's this sized ^^ and took me about 8 hours to make. I should note that this is more of a "sculpture" than a "toy". The eyes aren't safety eyes, so I had to glue them on, for instance, so it wouldn't withstand rigorous 'use'. I have plenty of materials to make another one, so maybe?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Besides Emrys, I've had a couple of inquiries on the little guy, so I figured I should make another one just in case it turns out that one of them has to fly the coop. I have to have one for myself, after all! I chose a different set of eyes from my 'dragon eyes' collection, and I'm liking how it's going so far.

20220406_092732.jpg

Edit: It occurs to me that I could use this same basic body, and if I put a shell on the back and a mask on the front, it could be a ninja turtle :D

edit 2: That yarn snarl in the background was a pile of all his various attachments. Here he is with them added on
20220406_114952.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I could use this same basic body, and if I put a shell on the back and a mask on the front, it could be a ninja turtle :D
Or chibi Abe.

abe.jpeg

Just need to add the crosshatches for the mouth.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Seems kind of related

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Seems kind of related

True for others, not for me. :D
On r/crochet, everyone complains how they have too many unfinished works in progress. Me, I work on, at most, 2 things at a time. And that's only if one of those things is a very long project like a blanket. I never...never...have 3 things going at once. :D

PatrThom

PatrThom

I never...never...have 3 things crochet projects going at once. :D
FTFY

--Patrick

Dirona

Dirona

True for others, not for me. :D
On r/crochet, everyone complains how they have too many unfinished works in progress. Me, I work on, at most, 2 things at a time. And that's only if one of those things is a very long project like a blanket. I never...never...have 3 things going at once. :D
I generally have 1 crochet project + 1 embroidery/cross stitch project on the go... + the 1 massive kit I'm working on that was a gift, but it will take at least a year to finish at best.

But the temptation to start new shiney things is real.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, we had another tornado watch. So I sat in the tub and finished these rainbow colored booty shorts. Don't look if you have trouble resisting temptation. :unibrow:

1649817275033.png

20220412_212017.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

(first pic) "That's no moon..."

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Different kinds of buns :)

I've made lots of little woobles and other projects, and have ended up with a few odds and ends of white yarn. Rather than throw them away, I combined them all and made these cute steamed buns. (Which also explains why that one changes color and texture slightly partway through)

1649948653884.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I had enough of that 'honey' colored blanket yarn left over from making the plush owl to make this fat Easter bunny (lowercase B)
1649998264458.png
1649998292288.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Heh heh... butt.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heh heh... butt.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm getting much much faster at these things. Two peas in a pod. Bonus pic showing my 6 month progress on single crochet rows. That pink inset is the very first thing I ever tried to crochet. I barely recognize the green rectangle as mine, because I still think of myself as that pink crochet beginner.
1650085719109.png

1650085760243.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Little snail made from leftover yarn bits.

20220417_092320.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Made with embroidery floss. Will try again with actually crochet thread when it gets here from amazon, and maybe it'll be a little neater. I had to break out the Metal Earth magnifying glasses for this one.
1650307900964.png

1650307927429.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Whenever I'm quiet here for a long time, it means I'm working on a big project. 12 of 43 rows to go. But because of the way shawls work, each row is considerably longer than the last. For instance, my next row has 186 stitches. the final row will have 344.
So, I'm really just about halfway done.

1650654547329.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Need to crochet the hat to go with it.

—Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1650906620191.png
1650906633614.png
1650906650947.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Lookin' good, granny!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Here I thought you were going for the whole "Man with no name" but crocheted.
Wait, now I have an idea for a cosplay of sorts...

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Here I thought you were going for the whole "Man with no name" but crocheted.
Wait, now I have an idea for a cosplay of sorts...

--Patrick
I'm not sure I'll ever do a full-fledged poncho. It'd probably take me a month.
Post automatically merged:

Lookin' good, granny!
Thankfully, it's going to an actually granny lol

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I've been saving this pattern forever, for when I felt like I had enough skills to get it done. I guess that day is today!
I really like how this turned out!

1651112708158.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Mini baphomet. Working in black yarn is *such* a pain. You can't really see your previous stitches to put the hook in the right place.

baphomet 2.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

more ocean life...

1651686433242.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Happy little onigiri. I follow CG over on Instagram, and she's been making these (for reals!) lately, and it inspired me.

20220505_100719.jpg

General Specific

General Specific

Happy little onigiri. I follow CG over on Instagram, and she's been making these (for reals!) lately, and it inspired me.

View attachment 41382
So cute!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

This one took me a bit over a week to finish. So fiddly. But here she is: Twilight Sparkle!
1652807988430.png

(And no, I'm not a Brony)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

As eye bleach for those of you who saw the rainbow shorts on me up there, my female friend came and got her pair today.
1652906301561.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

You know when I spend a week without posting, I'm working on something bigger.
1653505212197.png

I had 8 skeins left of this yarn because I was a total n00b when I bought it, and didn't know how many skeins to buy so I got like 13 or 15.
Baby blankets take like 4 skeins to be the proper size (though the first couple I made were slightly smaller). So I decided to make another one with a new stitch (to me)--the waffle stitch.

The texture makes the blanket so soft, chunky and squishy feeling. I'm in love with it. And, all of my previous baby blankets went to new or expectant mothers, so I need at least one in my inventory for the next baby to come along. This is 2 skeins in, 2 skeins to go.

Because of math, 2 skeins makes about 26 inches per side (676 sq inches). 2 more skeins will about double that (1350ish square inches) which ends up being 36 inches per side. These kinds of projects that grow as you make them (because you start at the center and work out) are maddening, because you seem to make so much progress at first, and then the bigger they get, the more you work to add marginally to the finished size--and everything just seems to slooooow down. In theory, I could probably stop at 3 skeins at 32 inches per side and it be an acceptable baby blanket. And, you know, I may just do that. :D

MindDetective

MindDetective

Do some food patterns next!

1653505784150.png

1653505899827.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Do some food patterns next!
I've done steamed buns (baozi), peas and onigiri recently :D
I think this baby yoda pattern I've had a while is going to be next, and then I may just be brave enough to tackle that irish cable scarf that I bought the pattern and yarn for way back in October.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Last skein is on the blanket. It measures in at 33" square. I did pretty good, ending up with this much yarn left over--not enough for another row:
1653858017936.png

First, a jaunty angle to show off those texturally squishable chunky waffle stitches.
20220529_155555 (Medium).jpg

And another shot of the full blanket:
20220529_155602 (Medium).jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I did not have the yarn weight in the pattern (DK/sport) and I wasn't gonna go buy new yarn when I already had yarn in the right colors, so I guessed at hook sizes. Grogu came out fine. The robe...maybe a little big :D

1654315883973.png

1654315899254.png

evilmike

evilmike

I did not have the yarn weight in the pattern (DK/sport) and I wasn't gonna go buy new yarn when I already had yarn in the right colors, so I guessed at hook sizes. Grogu came out fine. The robe...maybe a little big :D

View attachment 41686
View attachment 41687
I'm sure he'll grow into it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Rainbow necktie
1654657749253.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

6 months ago, I tried to learn this stitch and failed. I've tried again every couple of months (give or take) ever since.
I think I may have finally gotten the hang of it.
Presenting, the jasmine stitch:

1654830885347.png

This stitch eats up a ton of yarn and takes longer than a normal stitch, obviously. Finishing this thing will take me 5 more skeins of double-length cakes (so 10 normal skeins) and about a week to 10 days.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Looks warm AF tho

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Looks warm AF tho
That waffle stitch blanket felt chunky and squishy. This is even more so. It's a good half-inch thick with all that puffery.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's a good half-inch thick with all that puffery.
At this rate, you might as well craft yourself up a set of crochetin' mail.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

4.5 skeins into the blanket and I got bored, so I did this today instead of working on the blanket.

20220619_220149.jpg

20220619_221137.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Finished the blanket. Perfect "lap-ghan" sized: 42" x 49". Why did this take me 3 weeks? Because it took a full mile and a quarter of yarn. No exaggeration. This stitch really eats up the yarn.

20220626_135557 (Medium).jpg
20220626_135537 (Medium).jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

Bet it has plenty of loft, though.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I have a friend who likes dolphins, so I thought I'd challenge myself with a higher level pattern. It doesn't *look* more complicated than a lot of the other stuff I've done. But trust me, it was. :D

This also happens to be my 50th project for the year, which is the goal I set for myself in January on the Ravelry Challenge. I'd only been crocheting a couple of months, so I didn't know if I could meet the goal at the time.

1656910471905.png
1656910482870.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Craft room is built out enough to be functional, and while I have more work to do on the house, I decided to take a break. I haven't really been crocheting for the last few weeks and I miss it.

1661365770617.png

evilmike

evilmike

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

One of my friends wrote to me and said she wanted that octopus to pin to her ren-faire hat. I guess she thought it was a tiny amigurumi, like I usually make. So I had to send her this pic to show her what it'd look like on your head:rofl:

1661489644016.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

Maybe she thought it was only going to be the size of a brain slug.

—Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

OMG, this project may have been a wee bit ambitious. All these bobble stitches make my hands cramp, and I'm using a hook half the size that I'm used to. I can only do a couple of rows before I have to take a break. siiigh

1665535675587.png

1665535659113.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

It just hit me tonight that I'm going to Ireland soon, and I never did finish my cable crochet scarf. And now, I don't have time to finish it.

I was so close to buying a scarf on Amazon, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it when I have yarn in the stash. So, I decided I needed to make something simple and quickly. I bought Tunisian crochet hooks back in December of 2021, but never have used them. But, from what I've read, they seem to be able to work up rows quickly, so I figured I'd stretch, learn a new skill, and hopefully get this scarf knocked out in a few days.

Not bad for my first attempt so far, I think! 6 rows in 30 minutes, but the first couple of rows was spent going slowly and watching a youtube vid on the Tunisian simple stitch. Hopefully I'll average closer to 2-3 minutes per row going forward.

I hate having more than a couple items in the WIP pile, but this is an emergency, so I'm gonna cut myself some slack.

1665635911602.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

90 rows on the scarf, 60-ish to go. I needed a mental break, so I spent an hour knocking this guy out.

20221016_022424.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1666019655717.png

Finished the scarf last night. Washed and blocked it this morning and added fringe. It's super warm on my neck

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

11 hours of flights means lots of free time

20221108_181212.jpg

20221108_181154.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

What, no sheep?

GasBandit

GasBandit

What, no sheep?
I mean, he's not visiting Wales.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I mean, he's not visiting Wales.
True. I've seen cattle and horses, but no sheep so far

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I brought 4 kits with me to work on during down time. Here are the other two. No fancy 'out in the world' pics. It's been raining during the day, and, well, it's dark at night lol

20221109_020536.jpg

20221110_054826.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Turns out there was a Trad Fest in Ennis my last day (and today and tomorrow and monday, dang it) so Tank the Shark ended up out on the town with me.
1668310015977.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I almost sent this to my secret santa recipient this year, because they had NSFW stuff marked 'yes' and I've been looking for an excuse to make this for months. But, I didn't want to seem creepy and I got invited to a white elephant party where I feel like it would go over well, so that's where I'll take it. :D

1669582850315.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Another X-mas gift completed.
20221216_155220.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Tom Anks the Ankylosaurus was quite the challenge, and put him down several times over the last few months. But finally, he is finished!

1675017564676.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ankylosaurus!!! :heart:

The name is too perfect.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Double Tunisian stitch scarf. This stitch is lacier than the Tunisian simple stitch, so it has a bit more drapiness, and doesn't use as much yarn to get to the same length.

20230202_235034.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Rubber ducky...you're the one! You make bath time so much fun!
1675958885754.png

1675958900417.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

These were so cute and easy, I made a few more. And then I had to make a mama.
1676074633776.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

ok..done with duckies for a while...5 ducks, one mama
20230213_145651.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

ok..done with duckies for a while...5 ducks, one mama
View attachment 43902
... no goose?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

GasBandit

GasBandit

He does not like the cobra chicken.

klew

klew

Saw this instagram ad and thought something was familiar
Screenshot_20230305-192212.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Finished my last scarf until next fall, when I'm sure to be making more as gifts.
20230311_174245.jpg
20230311_174456.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Next up..finding something I can make with those yarns @bhamv3 got me for Secret Santa :)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

and so it begins...
1678832908077.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

How are you supposed to clean that?!?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I want to see him finish the rest of the bed frame.

—Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

@Celt Z
Maybe It'll look less like a butt plug to you now. Maybe. You have a surprisingly dirty mind ;)

1678924563439.png

Dirona

Dirona

@Celt Z
Maybe I'll look less like a butt plug to you now. Maybe. You have a surprisingly dirty mind ;)

View attachment 44207
far too absorbent anal beads? just to continue the theme of course.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

far too absorbent anal beads? just to continue the theme of course.
To let you know that *all* my friends think I'm a degenerate, not just you guys, one of my friends sent me a pattern for those
1678933683627.png

But..what I'm working on now is the wrong shape :D

PatrThom

PatrThom

Make one.
Hang it in your shower.
Wait for guests to mention it.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1679874047436.png

about 40% done.
This yarn is like sport weight (size 3) so I'm having to use a smaller hook. Any time I have to make one of those narrow bits, it tires my hands out.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Got like 6 little sausages made so i took a break

IMG_20230401_212611_182.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

20230403_135833.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

How are you supposed to clean that?!? ;)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Receiving blanket in "mini-v" stitch. About 10 rows in, I noticed I'd dropped a stitch about 5 rows back. I figured the baby won't notice and didn't want to frog it. But I started taking my own advice and use stitch markers at each end for the rest of the blanket.
1683388039613.png 1683388059914.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I downloaded a pattern for crochet sushi. I didn't like the techniques or how they worked up. And i thought the shrimp looked pretty terrible. So, i said "Meh, I've been doing this like a year and a half. Surely I can design my own." Voila.

20230508_205239.jpg 20230509_114801.jpg 20230509_125653.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Onto the next project. Gotta make about 70 little skulls, turn them into granny squares, and then make something from those squares. It's actually going faster than I anticipated.

20230511_114658.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Sushi plating boat arrived today, so I can show off the sushi crochet as God intended. Of course, i had to make some ginger and wasabi.

1683918425168.png

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yummy!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Zug Zug @GasBandit

20230515_192254.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Zug Zug is orcish, poodoo!
Ewoks are "Yub nub." :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Zug Zug is orcish, poodoo!
Ewoks are "Yub nub." :p
lol, whatever :)

GasBandit

GasBandit

lol, whatever :)
Everybody sing!

Far

Far

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm doing things more relevant to HFers interests these days...quick build: Dragon scale dice bag, big enough to hold a couple standard sets of dice.

1684377431380.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

20230524_124916.jpg

Tinwhistler's new groove :D

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

to follow up on the granny square skull thing I mentioned a few posts back: I decided to make pants, and found a model for those pants. So, now that I have measurements I can move forward with that project. Here's a bunch of granny square skulls laid out kind-of pants-like.

1685133130529.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

soooo tiiired of making skull granny squares. 75% done. Taking a break with a tiny little narwhal

20230530_140323.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

soooo tiiired of making skull granny squares. 75% done. Taking a break with a tiny little narwhal

View attachment 45238
He looks ready to drop a kart back onto the track.

—Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Need something to keep you busy?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Need something to keep you busy?
That's super cool :) I wish I was good enough to reproduce stuff from pictures without a pattern. But I'm still a noob.

As it so happens, I bought an official pokemon crochet pattern book a few days ago owing to the fact that my local friends and I are getting back into pokemon go. I don't think it has all of these, though.

I also have recently gotten a book of little monsters where you flip the head/torso/legs for thousands of variants. Kind of like those flip books I used to play with as a kid, but for crochet.
1685977830206.png

I've pre-ordered a similar book that's coming in April where you can mix and match features.
Amazon product

1685977918899.png

I don't normally pre-order anything, but I've bought a number of patterns from this designer in the past, so I feel confident that I'll like what she has, and the mix and match feature is really appealing to me.

MindDetective

MindDetective

TIL about the Octo Project, crochet octopuses that preemies can cling to instead of pulling out their IV tubes. It started in Denmark but has a US group on Facebook.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I joined the FB group but had to nope out. They use 2.5mm hooks and small yarn to make super-tight stitches. Which, I totally get. But my eyes are too old for that shit :(

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, it's taken about 6 weeks, but I'm almost done. I just have to weave in about 300 ends of yarn. I put most of them on the inside for the picture's sake. But right now, that shit has more fringe than 80's heavy metal kid's moccasin boots.

1688085754008.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Pants are done, and my model has the 'rona. I guess it'll be a couple weeks before I can show you pics

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

On to the next project.

So far, every renaissance festival hood (with or without cloak) I've gotten has been absolutely huge. When they're pulled all the way up, the front comes way down past my nose. I can't freaking see! I can try to let them rest further back on my face, but then they invariably fall off or creep forward. I blame Lord of the Rings for this aesthetic.

What I *really* want is something close-fitting, like a gamebson hood--those quilted hoods you wear under a helmet. Something that will keep my noggin warm, won't impair my vision. and look decent. I found a "elf hood" pattern that's, you know, big and billowy. But it had the right features, including the neck/collar piece. So I figured I know enough now to make adjustments on the fly to size it how I want it.

So far, it's going well.

1688709057059.png
1688709067168.png

20230707_004444.jpg
20230707_004440.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

That toupe you're knitting looks totally natural. I'm sure no one will notice!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

20230709_154606.jpg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Getting some strong Monty Python vibes. Which, and I'm sure you already know this, all the "chain mail" in the movie was actually knitted. You just need some coconuts!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Of course, I had to re-make this in a light color (to contrast my darker colored costuming), and to ensure the pattern was repeatable.
1689285260939.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

And a picture from Ye Olde Crafte Room showing the costuming I'm pairing it with.

1689370101940.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I've had this 't-shirt yarn' hanging around, with a specific project in mind for it. I decided to quit procrastinating and get-er-dun.
Went really quickly because I've made it before. But man, it came out huge in this yarn.

20230716_225616 (Medium).jpg
20230716_230750 (Medium).png

GasBandit

GasBandit

And a picture from Ye Olde Crafte Room showing the costuming I'm pairing it with.

View attachment 45562
Now crochet yourself a tablet to whack yourself in the forehead with!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Now crochet yourself a tablet to whack yourself in the forehead with!
"I bring you...a shrubbery!"

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

All the young people around me have been having babies. Now, they're getting old enough to start schlepping a little lovey-sized blanket around, so I've started making these.

20230720_113150.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

They look so good!
20230722_192222.jpg 20230722_192256.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

3rd lambie in a row. Black sheep of the family and all that. If I never see another bobble stitch again, it will be too soon.

20230808_132341.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

photo_2023-08-09_15-04-20.jpg
photo_2023-08-09_15-04-21.jpg

1691612675524.gif

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Fun kid's blanket, with hood and hand pockets. Made with spines and trim and tail to look like a dragon.

20230816_150715.jpg
20230816_150644.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

20230825_141858.png

Halloweenie crochet season is upon me.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

20230829_160458.png

I think it needs no explanation for all you nerds :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

View attachment 45937

I think it needs no explanation for all you nerds :D
"You are ~bEaUtIfuL!~"

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

David Attenborough voice: "In their natural habitat, Intellect Devourers are an apex predator. But when they venture into the wider world, there is one predator they fear above all others. Zombies."

1693510291398.png

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Nosferatu. I don't think he turned out as cute as the zombie

20230903 nosferatu.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

More monsters for the spooky season

20230907 Minotaur.jpg

MindDetective

MindDetective

View attachment 45999
Now do a gelatinous cube!

Celt Z

Celt Z

View attachment 45999
Sir, this is Halforums. You know damn-well what's missing from that amagurumi.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I suppose I *could" take a pic up under his loincloth....

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

20230908_125903.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Zero from an officially licensed Nightmare Before Christmas pattern.
20230910_181500.jpg
20230910_181507.jpg
20230910_181524.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

working on a big project. Decided to take a break and see if I could crochet a bracelet out of hemp twine. I think it turned out ok.

20230921_214324.jpg

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Big project I'm working on means making a ton of these...
1696877121427.jpeg

I'm so tired of making them. I decided to take a break and work on a blanket.
1696877146993.jpeg

I figure I can swap back and forth when I grow weary of doing the same thing over and over on each project.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Remember when I used to do crochet? Pepperidge Farm remembers. My girlfriend's youngest has hit the age where he should have a little lovey

1710819301718.png

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

@Tinwhistler your crochet is awesome!!! I checked out the thread as I’ve just started learning.

Was there a specific book or online class you’d recommend?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

@Tinwhistler your crochet is awesome!!! I checked out the thread as I’ve just started learning.

Was there a specific book or online class you’d recommend?
Thanks!

Not really anything specific...I just kept buying Woobles. Each one showed me a slightly different technique, and then I started looking for free amigurumi patterns on the internet. There's a million of them out there :)

When I was ready to get into things like double crochet, bobble stitches, etc, I just youtubed tutorials and watched them over and over. Youtube tutorials didn't cut it when I was brand new, but once I got some experience, I could follow what they were doing.

General Specific

General Specific

My spouse, Dill, is just starting out as well and having some trouble, I mentioned you were fairly good now, are there specific videos you found more helpful?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

All the Woobles tutorials for specific techniques are online for free: https://thewoobles.com/pages/crochet-tutorials
If there's any particular thing, like the magic circle, that they have trouble with I'll be happy to point to a specific tutorial that helped me.

General Specific

General Specific

All the Woobles tutorials for specific techniques are online for free: https://thewoobles.com/pages/crochet-tutorials
If there's any particular thing, like the magic circle, that they have trouble with I'll be happy to point to a specific tutorial that helped me.
I am not certain exactly, but I believe they said they had gotten the magic circle down, it’s doing the bit right after that which is giving them issues. I don’t know the words for it.

I may give my account over to them in a little bit to explain.

Edit: quick update, they say they think they have it worked out now and have been using the wooblies stuff already!

In addition, they love your work, especially the Zero you made above and want to know where you got the pattern from.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I am not certain exactly, but I believe they said they had gotten the magic circle down, it’s doing the bit right after that which is giving them issues. I don’t know the words for it.

I may give my account over to them in a little bit to explain.

Edit: quick update, they say they think they have it worked out now and have been using the wooblies stuff already!

In addition, they love your work, especially the Zero you made above and want to know where you got the pattern from.
You can find almost all my work in any easy to find format here:

Any project that I have the pattern for, I list it in the project notes. I also list any problems, changes, or other notes I have about the pattern. That one, I got from here: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/zero-ghost-dog-2
but the embroidery for the nose is awful because crochet is too chunky for really fine detail. So, i did mine with a sharpie. I also freehanded the pumkin stem as the pattern doesn't have one. If memory serves, I attached some yarn to the top of the pumpkin with a slip stitch, did CH 3, and then did 2SC back down the chain and slip-stitched back into the original attachment point.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Thank you for letting me know about the Woobles. I grabbed a few kits today and got free shipping, a free tin and free Easter crochet hooks. I think I’m getting Cinnamaroll hooks too?

I got the Cinnamaroll pattern as our oldest loves him and the pastel bundle with a chick, a bunny and the tiny versions.

I have an injured hand and those kits and instructions look super helpful.

Can’t wait for them to arrive! Until then, more deformed dish towels/cat toys.