Assassins Creed 1 or just go on to 2 and Brotherhood?

Should Espy bother to play Assassins Creed 1?

• Yes, it's actually a really good game

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No, it's about as good as North Korea's department of human rights

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been told that it's not really worthy my time to play AC 1 and to instead just watch the story stuff on youtube and then play AC 2 and Brotherhood which are, according to my friends MUCH better games.

So what you say gamers of halforums, should I bother with AC 1?

J

Jiarn

I personally got alot of fun out of AC1, I'd recommend it. It can be a bit repetitious but very satsifying.

I found both 1 and 2 fantastic games while very repetitive. The second less so but it does still drag a bit eventually, I found. I've been playing a tonne of the multiplayer from Brotherhood recently though I've yet to touch the single player so I can't exactly comment on that portion.

I couldn't get into Assassin's Creed 1. As Far said, I found it pretty repetative. One of these days, I might give it a second chance, but...I doubt it.

I'm more on the side thinking that you should play AC1. It is not a great game by any stretch but I think it did the time outside the Animus the best. It definitely solidified Desmond as my favorite character of the series.

But if you don't like it you could be put off the entire series. So I'd compromise and say if you can borrow it from a friend or rent it play or at least try the the first otherwise just go to the second.

If you play the first one, be careful riding the horses. Anything but the lightest of slow gallops cause the guards on the roads to freak the fuck out and start trying to murder you.

AKA: I think the first game is terrible.

Both are fine thought 2 is a finer product that I really enjoyed.

I'll play Brotherhood once it hits the PC.

figmentPez

Staff member
Depends on what platform. If you're on PC, don't bother with AC1, it's a very sloppy port of a game I found to have mediocre gameplay. The graphics and world are pretty amazing, but the controls sucked.

I've never played the second as I object to it's DRM.

J

Jiarn

Really? I played mine on PC with little issue, I used an Xbox wireless controller for it.

PS3.

Thanks for the input guys... I might try and pick it up on the cheap in case it sucks. I already bought 2.

I actually had a lot of fun screwing with the guards on the horse. Angle it just right, and go knocking them down like bowling pins.

figmentPez

Staff member
Really? I played mine on PC with little issue, I used an Xbox wireless controller for it.
I'm surprised it recognized your controller. It wouldn't recognize mine, and I had to play through the game without the trigger buttons because it wouldn't let me assign them to anything useful. Not only was it too stupid to recognize that my Madcatz controller is a 360 controller, it also refused to allow me to assign the trigger buttons as buttons and lacked rumble support. That's a damn sloppy port, because a lot of other titles have gotten that just fine (Overlord and Trine most notably).

J

Jiarn

So it was a sloppy port because you were using a Madcatz controller?

Yeah I'm not so sure I can agree with that.

figmentPez

Staff member
So it was a sloppy port because you were using a Madcatz controller?
It's a 360 controller. Windows recognizes it as a 360 controller. Overlord and Trine recognize it as a 360 controller. Even if AC can't see that it's a 360 controller, it should still allow for any gamepad to assign shoulder trigger to button actions. It should support all the Logitech and other PC gamepads out there. (Also, the port of AC2 originally didn't support the wireless version of the 360 pad. I don't know if that got patched, but it just shows they didn't learn their lesson from the first game.)

J

Jiarn

So then yes, your complaint about the game is that it doesn't recognize your controller. Not exactly a basis for calling it "controls that suck".

figmentPez

Staff member
So then yes, your complaint about the game is that it doesn't recognize your controller. Not exactly a basis for calling it "controls that suck".
Oh, that was just my biggest complaint about the controls, and what was specific to PC. I also found battle to be bland and sluggish, especially compared to Batman Arkham Asylum. Using throwing daggers was severely flawed, with targetting being hit or miss and it was way to easy to throw a dagger when you didn't want to, and hard to switch targets. I thought that the free running AI was monumentally stupid, I'd often jump over hiding places that I was running straight towards, which caused me to get spotted again. Not sure why, but I had a very hard time jumping in the direction I wanted to go, I'd often end up at a different angle than I had been headed for before hitting the edge. (Never had that in any other game I've played on this PC. Not Psychonauts, not Batman:AA) Camera angles when climbing were anything but helpful, so climbing ended up being a boring trial and error excercise, when it should have been an exciting mental challenge. Furthermore, I hated how the game stole control of my camera after I rescued every citizen. I'm busy trying to get away, and my camera is locked onto something other than the main character. Bad game design! Taking control away from the player while the player is in danger is a dick move.

J

Jiarn

I really don't meant this to sound like it most likely will, but it seems more to me like you were just bad at the game. I think I had a quarter of those problems playing the game, which was vastly outshown by how smoothly the game did run for what it was. An amazing stealth, kill and run to hide game. I can't remember more than a handful of times that the game didn't go where I wanted it to, or the camera angles were off. I'll even go so far as to load it up and play some tonight.

I had no control issues with Assassin's Creed in any shape or form. Nor did I use a controller to play the game.

If you play the first one, be careful riding the horses. Anything but the lightest of slow gallops cause the guards on the roads to freak the fuck out and start trying to murder you.

AKA: I think the first game is terrible.
I'm actually really enjoying it, I decided to go for it.

HOWEVER. The controls are great 98% of the time but sometimes it's just like... WTF. Suddenly I'm using my sword instead of the assassins blade I had selected so the guards are alerted not to mention all the times I'm trying to jump or climb and the controls just go all kinds of wonky. You are right however the horse thing is total bullshit. Do these guys just auto kill anything moving over 2 mph? What the hell...

It's just comically ridiculous. I can't help but laugh at how fast they spring into action when you aren't moving at a snails pace.

Lol, oh yes, my favorite thing is when I'm trying to sneakily assassinate a guy and I get shoved by a nutcase into someone and BAM! The guards are on you!

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's a link to my full review of Assassin's Creed 1.

I gave it a B. It's a decent game. If you really want the full story experience you can go ahead and play it, but all the game elements of AC1 are present and/or improved upon in AC2. While you might be missing out on some backstory if you just jumped right to 2, I don't think it would be otherwise harmful to the gaming experience... IE, you don't need AC1 to play AC2 well.

C

Chibibar

I gave it a B. It's a decent game. If you really want the full story experience you can go ahead and play it, but all the game elements of AC1 are present and/or improved upon in AC2. While you might be missing out on some backstory if you just jumped right to 2, I don't think it would be otherwise harmful to the gaming experience... IE, you don't need AC1 to play AC2 well.
no but you need constant internet connection to play AC2 well ;)

GasBandit

Staff member

no but you need constant internet connection to play AC2 well ;)[/QUOTE]

Nnnnnot exactly ;)

But this is immaterial to the question. Playing 2 is a given in the original question. The only variable is whether or not he plays AC1 first.

figmentPez

Staff member
Lol, oh yes, my favorite thing is when I'm trying to sneakily assassinate a guy and I get shoved by a nutcase into someone and BAM! The guards are on you!
Oh, and don't forget that you are a master assassin who can defend himself against whole crowds of armed guards, but is somehow defenseless against the town drunk. Gah! I can counter a broadsword, but there's no defense against a stumbling idiot?

Honestly I just started looking for the alleys the crazy dudes hung in so I could stab them in peace.

Finished 2 the other day. Damn. Now THAT is how you make a sequel. Need to get Brotherhood now... Anyone playing it?

Yeah I'm playing it on the PS3 as well. My brother in law got me Force Unleashed 2 for Christmas so I just finished that yesterday. Thank God he payed for it. Fun as hell game but 60 bucks for what, maybe 5 hours of gameplay max? Jeeze guys. DLC anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.