August Contest - Halforums Cooking Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dinner tonight was so tasty I thought I should share especially since it looks so delicious.

In there I have carrots, a sweet onion, zucchini, yellow, red and orange sweet peppers, snow peas, spinach, and bean sprouts cooked with some extra virgin olive oil. Then I put it over a bed of brown rice and voila.

now my family thinks I am strange for bringing a camera to the table and egotistical to boot since I only took a picture of my cooking. Enjoy

W

Wasabi Poptart

This is the dinosaur cake I made for my son's birthday party. The white things around the cake are meringue bones.

Cajungal

Staff member
That is adorable! And little sin, how in the hell do you make such a delicious-looking fat-free cake?! I'm guessing egg whites, skim milk, and banana?

W

Wasabi Poptart

If LS made the cake I think she did, I'm pretty sure it has diet lemon-lime soda in it.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I have the recipe bookmarked! I was going to make it for my son's birthday last year, but ended up doing something else. Was it hard to put together?

Confession time: This is the second time I tried to make it! The first cake fell apart because I under baked it.

So...yeh. There was a minute of frustration...make you you let the damn thing bake long enough and then set!

Appetizer time! :)

Start with shrimp

peel some avocado

Add some onion, parsley, and a nice lemony vinaigrette

Wait...cherry tomatoes?

Shrimp-stuffed cherry tomatoes

The eldest kid kept coming in for samples as I was making them. I hadda chase him out of the kitchen :)

Entree: Parmesan and cracked black pepper crusted pork chops with apple sauce
Soup: Squash and leek soup, topped with bacon and lemon-infused crème fraiche

I'm confident in my entry. Plus I might whip a lil' something something up to tip the scales.

/plots tin's downfall.

W

Wasabi Poptart

I just haven't had time to make something nice or when I have had the time I've scorched it. Now we're trying to use up all the food in the house since we're moving out next week. That does not make for pretty food. :\

I'm a little busy preparing for the new school year, but I'll try to get some stuff on ASAP. I will not part without at least one entry!

C

Chibibar

work has kept me busy :( plus all the stuff over the weekend that I need to do :(

The last few dishes have been good, but no real presentation. This time, I made a simple dish, but with a fancier presentation.

Braised round steak and rice tower with gravy paired with roast zucchini.

So we recently went to a meat market and got a 'combo pack' of various meats. They always give you a ton of ground beef with these things, and I get really tired of tacos, Hamburger Helper, and chili.

So, tonight on the "cheap eats" menu:
Albóndigas soup (Mexican meatball soup)

With carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, a touch of tomato, chili powder, cayenne, and a hint of cumin.

Awwwwww yeah baby, if there's one thing I know it's how to treat a lady right weather that's in the bedroom or out. They say that the fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach, but baby it's 2010 and these things aren't gender exclusive anymore. But baby, I don't want just your heart, I want all you have to offer me.

To start, we have some chicken prepared in a most sexually satisfying way. What way is that, you ask?

Dino nuggets baby. Dino nuggets.

But you know that the sexiness of the dinosaurs isn't enough to satisfy your....hunger baby so that's why I added a recreation of their demise.

A mashed potato meteor that paves way for the future to bloom like our love, baby. But this isn't going to bring about a mass extinction baby but a mass ex-sex-tion. Awwwww yeah.

What's that you hear baby? The thunder? Well that might just be the sound of our love making rolling in like a quiet storm. Or it might be the sound of the Dr. Thunder that'll go with our platter of passionate love making foods.

It might say 10% more free but I'm sure it just means that there's 10% more free love to be made. Statistical impossibility or not, I've got 110% love to give you, baby.

Ain't no need to be nervous, baby. Body is my primary language and let me tell you, the way you rock yours I'll have all sorts of jobs for you. Mmmmmmhmmmmm awwright baby now why don't you go sit your pretty little thang down and we'll get ready for course one of an all you can love buffet.

Stay sexy, baby. Awwwww yeah.

Duck breast marinaded in red wine, served with rice and a side of roasted bell pepper, zucchini, sundried tomato and fresh basil fried up in the duck's fat.

Bonus closeup shot:

It may not have been as fancy as Tinwhistler's dessert, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a good meal.

(Possible other entry next week, but for now I'll stick with this)

Tin, your stuff is so amazing looking that I have begun to truly hate you with the full depths of ressentiment.

I hate you out of jealousy. I can cook fairly decently, but it is very simple stuff and I don't have anything like your presentation techniques. If you ever feel a green-hot burning on the back of your neck, that is my ENVY-RAY.

Add another to the "what to do with ground beef?" category. I made dirty rice.

Heat olive oil in a large pot, add caribbean jerk spice, 2 cubes of beef bullion (crumbled), garlic powder, chili powder, coarse ground pepper, and salt. Cook until the aromas are released.

Add two diced bell peppers and one diced onion. Cook until soft.

Add one pound hamburger. Cook until firm...that means cook it until it's 'grey' (which is where most people consider it done) and continue to cook it until it's actually brown.

Add 1 drained and rinsed can of red kidney beans, 4 cups of water, and 2 cups of rice. Stir. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes.

So freaking awesome. Especially with a little tabasco.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Note to self: take pictures of food tomorrow.

Tonight: Ranger's leftover special.

Start with yesterday's leftover bolognese sauce. A pound and a half of ground beef, Heinz ketchup, flour, water, paprika, oregano, basil, pepper.

Pick up two slices of graham toast.

Lather 'em liberally with the sauce.

Grate some cheese on top. I know, I know, it's cheapo cream cheese.

Pop in the microwave oven for a minute, minute and a half...

Serve immediately. NOM NOM NOM.

My pizza recipe:

crust:
3 cups AP flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup water
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons dry active yeast, bloomed in warm water.

Combine ingredients in mixing bowl, mix until dough is smooth to touch.
Cover, let rise for 1 hour. Deflate dough (punch or poke it down), let rise again, roughly 40 minutes.
Halve dough into two lumps, roll out each on floured surface to desired thickness.
Place dough on baking sheet and preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Add pizza sauce, oregano and basil to taste, red pepper flakes, 1 cup shredded mozzarella and 1/2 cup shredded provolone on each pizza, as well as any toppings you desire.

Bake in 425 degree oven for 23 minutes or until cheese has bubbled and is browning. Remove from oven, slice, and enjoy.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Got a hankering for some late night snack. But I didn't want anything heavy, so I took some bananas, an apple and a piece of watermelon I had bought today (it's a rare treat since watermelon can get crappy so easily)... and I made me some fruit salad:

Dave

Staff member
There's only a week left - shit, not EVEN a week left! - in the contest. Civ V, people!

Zucchini filled with ground beef and cheese, served with a spicy tomato/thyme sauce and mustard-mashed potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.