August Contest - Halforums Cooking Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tikaa masala, channa masala, rice, flatbread, hummus, papadums

Papadums are kind of neat...when you fry them up, they expand like 33% in the oil.

Chickpeas have a special place in Indian food. The channa masala, papadums, and hummus all have chickpea as a primary ingredient.

The tikka masala is a little spicy. It's got roast chicken in a tomato and yogurt based sauce.

The channa masala has chickpeas and onions in a slightly citrusy sauce with hints of ginger, garlic, and coriander.

The popadums weren't made from scratch, but rather, from a package filled with little wonton looking things that you throw in the fryer.

The hummus was totally from scratch, because that's really the only way to get good hummus. This batch was made with chickpea, olive oil, cracked pepper, lemon and cumin.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Jesus Christ, Tin... where did you learn to cook? Or why is it that everything you make looks so damn festive and restaurant-style?

Well, Tin's got this one in the bag, so I don't see any point in anyone trying to enter. Seriously, his stuff looks better than half the restaurants Gordon fucking Ramsey visits on Kitchen Nightmares.

Oh c'mon now...they're not all that. A lot of my stuff looks pretty plain to me.
To you, but you submitted so many entries you probably eat stuff like this every day! :p I'll have to admit, I was daunted by your entries before my first one. I entered anyway because I love cooking, but still. You, sir, are a mighty fine cook.

What, everyone's conceding the contest to Tin? Well, they might have a point ;)

But still! I had what I thought were some good ideas, so here we go...

First, kind of a steak sushi. I was actually going to do a much simpler steak, rice and veggies thing but then I saw Wahad's entry, so I switched things up a bit. Juicy cuts of ribeye on modified sushi rice (I used red wine vinegar instead of the traditional rice vinegar), along with some seared onion slices in place of the nori. The steak and rice were good, but it was the onion that really tied things together. The dip is a pan sauce of red wine and soy.

Second is a dessert, and the main reason why I decided to enter the cooking contest. A crispy bacon shell filled with honey caramel, dipped in milk chocolate and sprinkled with toasted and salted nuts. Unfortunately, the bacon lost some crispness, but the smoky flavor went rather well with the sweetness of the caramel and chocolate.

Anyway, I hope the pictures look as good as they tasted :p

Dave

Staff member
Wahad and Drifter come in at the end and make this a contest! But I'd be lying if I didn't say the burger on page 1 didn't look good.

Filet Mignon tower, topped with fried onions and capers paired with roasted artichoke hearts and sweet potato fries. I like my fillet bloody. My son likes his well done. I was too ashamed to take a picture of his. ;)

and here's a slightly bigger pic at a different angle hopefully showing better view of the tower structure

Well while my presentation skills may not be up to Tin's (god damnit man, holy crap!), my wife (who also posts here, Dirona) and I still make a good showing in terms of "Nom Nom Nom" factor.

All of the below photos are available at our Home Cooking album on picasa.

First of all, Bean Soup & Cheddar Beer Bread:

And a comparison between the dish and the cookbook it was from:

My Wife made this awesome Carrot & Pineapple Cake:

And then some Gingerbread Men we brought to a Christmas party. We used ABC cutouts for them (Already Been Chewed)

More to come shortly!

Attachments

Continuing from above, our Christmas Dinner we prepared:

The Turkey:

The whole meal:

And then the Valentine's day Crown roast of Lamb I prepared (thank you Alton Brown!)

It's with garlic-parsley roasted potatoes, and asparagus.

And the great dessert my wife made:

Not much more to come, but some!

Attachments

Last entries from my wife and I:

Her awesome Cinnamon buns.
In the pan:

After baking:

My Wife's Gnocchi:

Her Butter Chicken:

Microwave Bread. Yes I'm serious, we made this in the MICROWAVE.

From the first post, we have even more on my picasa page, but these are the "official" entries.

Enjoy all!

Attachments

Christmas dinner? I thought we were supposed to post pics of food we cooked this month.

I got about 50 more pics I can post otherwise ;)

Please don't, Tin. You're already so far ahead that posting again in this thread would cross the line from winning to pure dickery.

Ah shit, I forgot yesterday was the end of the contest. I was going to post my specialty, the 'poche chaude.' A surefire winner. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.