Bachelor Parties (NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tinwhistler said:
jason said:
I don't understand all this bachelor party hate. It's not like the guys are the only ones who can have fun. There are some bride-to-bes that vastly out-party their grooms.
No shit. Google up "bachelorette party" and see how many cock-themed party favors exist.
That would precisely be the reason why I've attended 12 Bachelor parties and 0 Bachelorette....

Shegokigo said:
Tinwhistler said:
jason said:
I don't understand all this bachelor party hate. It's not like the guys are the only ones who can have fun. There are some bride-to-bes that vastly out-party their grooms.
No shit. Google up "bachelorette party" and see how many cock-themed party favors exist.
That would precisely be the reason why I've attended 12 Bachelor parties and 0 Bachelorette....
I'm totally down with you on that score. Last thing I want at my parties is to be drinking through a swizzle stick in the shape of a dick.

fade

Staff member
Lally said:
fade said:
Lally,

I don't think anyone really thinks of it that way. It's more or less a tongue-in-cheek "all in good fun" thing. Yeah, we joke about the ol' ball and chain, and all that. That's an excuse to go out and party and look at boobies for the most part.

Now. That being said, no matter who you are or what you do, your life will change when you get married. You will have time obligations that you didn't before. Your wife doesn't have to be a uber-controlling to cause that change either. But I can't just go on with making decisions solo once I'm married. I wouldn't want to--I made the decision to share my life with someone. (All of which I know you know--not trying to insult your intelligence.) That's why a bachelor party is like a mock-funeral. I think the miscommunication is that you're seeing it as a real funeral.

Again, all that being said, it's not the stripper but what she represents--sexual freedom--that is coming to an end, and what's being lamented and celebrated. I love my wife and I'm happily married, but I'm not going to lie and say that I don't miss sleeping around. I'm a dude. I'm programmed by nature to want to sleep with as many women as possible. I'm not going to sleep with the stripper, but my friends ARE going to give me * about being stuck with one woman.
Unless you have an arranged marriage and meet someone the day you get married, there has to be some place where sexual freedom ends that's before you hit the altar, and that's my point. If you think there are boundaries that shouldn't be crossed after you're married, then you shouldn't be crossing those boundaries mere days before you get married. If your buddies are making fun of you because you're stuck with one woman, where were they when you and your wife made the agreement to be exclusive? They should have been making fun of you then. To address your other point, once again, unless you meet your wife the day you get married, there's going to be a point where more of your time is devoted to that person, and there's going to be a point where you're making major life decisions together. In my case, my boyfriend and I have been living together for two years, and even before that we already made important financial decisions together. We're living as if we were married, holding off marriage until we have the money to throw the wedding ceremony we want. We're not a unique couple in that respect. Many couples we know either live that way, or lived that way prior to being married. I guess my whole point was, the way relationships are evolving, the concept of relationships before and after marriage are changing too. So why are we still chained to an out-dated "tradition?"

The answer I know is coming: because guys like boobs. :eyeroll:
So you're saying that the day of the actual marriage has lost meaning? If your answer is "no", then why is a celebration of the end of bachelorness odd? Or for that matter a celebration of the upcoming marriage the way guys like to celebrate? I just don't get it.

Short version: Whether or not you've been living together, there is a HUGE psychological difference between married and not-married for probably the bulk of human beings.

You can use your own argument against the act of marriage, too. Why get married? The act of marriage is a symbolic thing (setting aside the legal aspect for a moment) at that point, since you're already doing all that stuff. It's the same thing with the party. It's just a "ceremonial" celebration, whether or not it's already happened. Is the bridal shower also redundant? Why not? It's celebrating the new life together. But, again, that's already happened, so why celebrate now? Boobs and beer are somehow less than cake and presents?

Regardless of all that, it's really just a fun party before a guy gets married doing something that guys like to do. Really, all of the things I'm saying are looking for meaning after the fact. No one thinks about that. They're just going out and having fun before marriage.

L

Lally

You may be surprised to know that my answer to that question is "yes!" I guess I should have added to my little diatribe that I actually don't care about getting married, and would be just as happy if I never did. I am not religious, I'm not real big on "hey everyone let's all focus on me!" and I could go tomorrow and get a court marriage for the legal benefits and be perfectly satisfied. I suggested it to my boyfriend and he kinda flipped out a little, and I know that it's important to both of our parents' that we follow these traditions, so I'll go through with it.

So no, cake and presents are not any better than booze and chicks.

Tinwhistler said:
Shegokigo said:
Tinwhistler said:
jason said:
I'm totally down with you on that score. Last thing I want at my parties is to be drinking through a swizzle stick in the shape of a dick.
I may have been wearing a penis necklace and a tiny penis sombrero, but I saw more boobs that night than any other night of my life. Worth it.

A buddy of mine was super-nervous about his wedding. He was very happy to be getting married, but he also has a hyper-inflated sense of responsibility and obligation. Normally, this is no bad thing, but the run up to the wedding, and the prospect (in his head) of needing to take on further responsibilities (will I be a good husband, will I be able to provide for my family, etc.) was basically making him mentally hyperventilate.

A strip club was right out, because he'd have been more likely to just feel guilty, so since he was a theater-and-costume geek, we took him Medieval Times (since he'd never gone), bought him tons of shit, had his wedding announced over the arena, and then afterward held an all-night gaming session in his apartment.

Relaxed him completely.

And then on the day of his wedding, the groomsmen ambushed him with nerf guns as he came out of the shower.

Good times. :)

fade

Staff member
Lally said:
You may be surprised to know that my answer to that question is "yes!" I guess I should have added to my little diatribe that I actually don't care about getting married, and would be just as happy if I never did. I am not religious, I'm not real big on "hey everyone let's all focus on me!" and I could go tomorrow and get a court marriage for the legal benefits and be perfectly satisfied. I suggested it to my boyfriend and he kinda flipped out a little, and I know that it's important to both of our parents' that we follow these traditions, so I'll go through with it.

Well, that explains your perspective then. I think most people view marriage as more than a formality, whether they're religious or not. I'm not religious, but I can tell you for sure that there was an enormous difference between being single and living together and being married. There's a psychological locked-in-ness associated with marriage. I can respect your decision not to see it as any different, but the answer to your question about why people do bachelor parties is probably because most people do see marriage as a big commitment. A psychological commitment is s strong one that alters your perception, and for many men especially it begins on that day when they slip on that ring. At least at a much stronger level than it did before, living together or not.

jason said:
I may have been wearing a penis necklace and a tiny penis sombrero, but I saw more boobs that night than any other night of my life. Worth it.
At a bachelorette party, that's all you'd get to to do too. "See". While being surrounded by penis.

Yeah, I'm going with the one where I get a face full of everything, have my hands everywhere and get some private time in the bedroom. :slywink:

Shegokigo said:
jason said:
I may have been wearing a fireman necklace and a tiny fireman sombrero, but I saw more boobs that night than any other night of my life. Worth it.
At a bachelorette party, that's all you'd get to to do too. "See". While being surrounded by fireman.

Yeah, I'm going with the one where I get a face full of everything, have my hands everywhere and get some private time in the bedroom. :slywink:
Do you prefer them real? Built for speed or comfort? What'd you do with them? Motorboat? You play the motorboat? *makes sputtering motorboat noise* You motorboatin son of a bitch! You old sailor you!

Ah yes, we had a great bachelor party, lots of video games then late night cigars and beers by the lake with my buddies. Never really felt the need for a "final wild night" myself.

Lally said:

So what's wrong with seeing both as just an excuse to party, then? Ok, if you're doing things at a bachelor party that you wouldn't do while married, that's pretty damn stupid. But I think plenty of people on this thread have already shown that you can have a great bachelor party without going over the line. I've been to a couple, and they were basically just good friends, good food, good booze, and lots of fun. Moreover, you get to do all these things with friends you might not have seen for awhile, as they live in far off cities. What's wrong with any of that? It's a great excuse to have fun, and personally I think most such excuses should be siezed with both hands.

Meh.

I do not trust my future best man (who is a woman) to throw something together. She's a weirdo. Much like my birthday, it's something I intend to skip with as little hooplah as possible.

C

Chazwozel

Greetings from Florida.

ITT: A bunch of insecure weenies.

Bachelor parties are whatever you make of them. Hopefully with plenty of titties in your face. You're not any better if you do or don't go to a stripclub with your pals, so get off your fucking high horses and live a little instead of claiming that circle jerking each other till midnight while getting drunk at home is soooo much better than pulling dollar bills out of a stripper's orifices or visa versa. The point of a bachelor party is one last guilt free night of debauchery before slipping on the wedding ring. Yes, of course you can still hang out with your pals after you're married. No, you can't come home at 4 in the morning reeking of booze and stripper perfume. No, you won't really be seeing much more than the same pair of titties for (supposedly) for the rest of your life. And once you have kids, the nights out with the buddies become far and few between (at least until said kids grow up a bit more).

The last one I went to involved the groom being forced to parade around the bars dressed as Superman. That's all I'm at liberty to say about that.

Peace out.

Chazwozel said:
Greetings from Florida.

ITT: A bunch of insecure weenies.

Bachelor parties are whatever you make of them. Hopefully with plenty of titties in your face. You're not any better if you do or don't go to a stripclub with your pals, so get off your fucking high horses and live a little instead of claiming that circle jerking each other till midnight while getting drunk at home is soooo much better than pulling dollar bills out of a stripper's orifices or visa versa. The point of a bachelor party is one last guilt free night of debauchery before slipping on the wedding ring. Yes, of course you can still hang out with your pals after you're married. No, you can't come home at 4 in the morning reeking of booze and stripper perfume. No, you won't really be seeing much more than the same pair of titties for (supposedly) for the rest of your life. And once you have kids, the nights out with the buddies become far and few between (at least until said kids grow up a bit more).

The last one I went to involved the groom being forced to parade around the bars dressed as Superman. That's all I'm at liberty to say about that.

Peace out.
:uhhuh: :thumbsup:

C

Chazwozel

And a big, huge :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: to any woman who thinks her husband had a good, clean, wholesome time with his buddies on his bachelor party. Yeah....that's the story... and we're sticking to it... :ninja: :uhhuh:

C

Chazwozel

Shegokigo said:
But Chaz, THEY'RE man is different! He's not like all the cavemen out there! :zoid:
From my experience, the more wholesome the story has to be the more hookers had to be buried in the desert. :ninja: Anyway, my ol' ball and chain is calling me to get to bed. I have plenty of wholesome activities planned for tomorrow and they all involve dunking her in the wave pool..

Chazwozel said:
Shegokigo said:
But Chaz, THEY'RE man is different! He's not like all the cavemen out there! :zoid:
From my experience, the more wholesome the story has to be the more hookers had to be buried in the desert. :ninja:
So basically I'm going to be running around feeding the homeless and saving kittens from trees, whilst turning water into wine and healing the blind the whole night? :twisted:

figmentPez

Staff member
ZenMonkey said:
Chazwozel said:
The point of a bachelor party is...
...whatever you want it to be.
Damn straight. When my friend got married, I was his best man. He wanted a bachelor party that he and I, as Christians, would not be ashamed of. So we threw it at my parent's house. We had fajitas, played pool volleyball and then Goldeneye and Smash Bros on the N64. Everyone there had a good time, it was exactly what we wanted. If someone has a problem with that, so what? It was our party, they weren't invited.

I agree mostly with Lally on this one. If your future wife does not care if you go to the strip club, then I guess there isn't too much harm done (but harm is certainly subjective).

Personally, I can not imagine going to a strip club for my bachelor party when I get married. That doesn't make me morally superior, but I think it shows a lack of respect for your future wife by going. I know I wouldn't want my fiance to have some random dudes' schlongs waving in her face. :moon:

The party I threw as best man was pretty much like most of the other non-strip club parties mentioned here. Beer, pool, video games, food, chatting, etc. Good times.

ZenMonkey said:
And how many people buy into a worn-out cliché.
How bout just calling it a "Getting Married" party if you're not going to do anything different than when you do get married?

Calling it a "bachelor" party is because you're doing one last round of "bachelor" things.

Because not everyone interprets the word "bachelor" or the term "bachelor party" the way you do. Just because your interpretation matches the cliché doesn't make it better or more correct than anyone else's.

Well, I'm a bachelor, and, oddly, I don't spend my time in strip clubs. I do, however, spend quite a large amount of time going out ith friends, pool, drinks, and video games. Huh. Guess that version's closer to a last send-off of bachelor life, than :-P

If there's no breasts in your face, I give your bachelor party 2 thumbs down. There are limits to the debauchery though, if the dude is tied up, clothes forced up and then penetrated with a strap on, somewhere, somehow, things got a little out of hand. :)

Innocent fun, yes? :thumbsup:

L

Lally

ZM and Bubs said pretty much what I was getting at all along, much more concisely than I did. Like I said before, I have no problem with a party. I'd never prevent my husband-to-be from having a party. I just think it's stupid for it to 1) be forced debauchery and embarrassment, which was the point of the OP, and 2) be the "omg last chance never doing anything fun again omgggg ball and chain" party it has come to represent. It's not because I am some prude that won't let him go to a strip club. I couldn't care less about that, although I do think the "if you don't go to a strip club and see tits you're a pussy" attitude is repugnant.

I guess I should have been more clear from the start. The OP was talking about bachelor parties that get crazy and out of hand because people think you have to do all kinds of "crazy stuff you can never do again omgggg" right before you get married. That particular attitude irks the crap out of me, for reasons I stated earlier. I guess I am taking my irritation out on the tradition in general because of that attitude, when there can be perfectly sensible and fun parties that celebrate the friendship of guys without resorting to pretending that the groom's life is over.

three of my friends are all getting married this year (and with me, that makes 4).
We're all a bunch of morally degraded scoundrels. My fiancee though it'd be a good idea to combine bachelor and bachelorette parties, but now that i think about it, 4 bachelor parties over the next few months sounds like a hell of a good time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.