Back in the saddle again :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose since they have met, you could always ask you ex for advice.
No. No no no. NO. Absolutment non. If you'd been browsing the boards over the past couple months you'd know the ex and I are NOT on good terms. Gross misinterpretation of social cues on both our parts, combined with persistent and unavoidable contact (same friends, same campus, same class hall) contributed to a train wreck by every definition. By the way, the two of them never even spoke to each other at the party but it was obvious they didn't like each other. Perhaps some of you might have some advice on how to get two girls to fight in a tub of pudding? Haha I kid.

And I don't buy flowers because very few girls I know actually want them. I did get her a box of chocolate-covered macadamia nuts for Valentine's Day, though, and they were very well received.

M

makare

Who doesn't want flowers? All the girls I know love getting them. Well, unless they have gotten them so often for every conceivable special occasion that they have become perfunctory instead of special.

Women like to not say what they mean to men, as a test. No, you don't have to get me a Valentine's (OK BUB, no chocolates... no chance.) No, I don't like flowers as a gift (I die a little each time you forget flowers for major occasions.)

Men are so clueless we miss what is going on in the thought bubbles.

M

makare

It's not a test. It's a desperate attempt not to seem "needy" or "whiny" or god forbid, "spoiled". The woman says, that's ok I don't want something. Not because she really doesn't want something or to test the guy, but because she doesn't want him to think she expects too much. But she can't help but WANT to be appreciated and recognized, so gets upset about him not thinking of her even though it is her own fault he did what he did.

Those holidays, like valentines, where the expectation to GET a gift is so great really affect women. They don't want to ruin the validity and specialness of a gift by having too much expectation but there is this great pressure (you know from other women and whole women's media apparatus) that ties up a woman's worth in what she can get from the guy in her life. Love isn't love unless he shows it and he has to show it in this specific way. Women know that's bullshit but it is hard to ignore the look of pity women get from their girlfriends after the question, "what did he get you for Valentine's day?" is followed by, "Nothing actually." "Oh," "But BUT I told him I didn't want anything!" "Sure, ya did honey."

So don't attribute to maliciousness what is actually the product of confusion and pressure.
That's my little rant.

Cajungal

Staff member
^Gotta agree with some of that, makare. It's hard for me to ask for anything without feeling bratty or something. I don't have trouble dealing with women who give those judgmental looks at that sort of situation. I've had to justify usually going dutch to most of my girl friends, even though it was my idea. Really, my girly wishes for flowers and whatnot are constantly at war with my practicality.

M

makare

As long as someone is happy in a relationship I don't see why things like that matter. The only time I have ever told someone something negative that I thought of their relationship based on gift giving was a friend of mine whose boyfriend said to her something like "what the *expletive deleted* makes you think you deserve me to buy you anything?" when she asked why he didn't get her anything for her birthday. Even then though there were other things seriously wrong with that relationship and he was generally an abusive ass.

Cajungal

Staff member
Honestly *is* important, but for most women, the truth IS that they'd prefer to be grateful for the good men they have and their own gestures of love--whether or not they're precisely what the girl wants. I have a guy who's very generous and sweet; I'd rather focus on that than the iota of my brain that, for some reason, likes pretty, unnecessary things. Most people will hide a small truth that they find unimportant rather than risk belittling all the wonderful things a person does or making them feel like they're not doing enough when they are. I know for a fact that he's done the same sort of thing to spare my feelings.

Until this Valentine's Day I'd never had someone to celebrate it with, so I never needed to buy a present. But I had somebody this time, remembered to get something, and her face lit up so much when she saw the chocolates.

And while I might be new to relationships, I know enough to never forget a girl's birthday present. And they all say I have a knack for finding the best gifts. Not necessarily the most expensive, cheapest, most practical, most fun, or longest lasting, but the BEST. You know what I mean? Unfortunately, this girl's birthday is in the Fall so I'll be in Texas by then.

Cajungal

Staff member
I know what you mean! *waves arms* ^_^ When you know someone really well, you can find the perfect thing, and it has nothing to do with price or practicality.

The ladies do raise a very valid point, gift giving is also very much about how you give the gift as opposed to what you give.

Cajungal

Staff member
Wow, you put it a lot more neatly than I did... but yeah. Even a really weird gift can represent a great deal of love and thought.

M

makare

I would rather have that quirky gift that shows he knows me than the expensive perfunctory gift that shows he went shopping.

Cajungal

Staff member
Man... I'd love to post a pic if I had it on my comp... One time the fella spent half an afternoon digging "I love you, Les'" out of that Super Mario 2 sand that you had to dig out of to get through some levels. It was so adorable... Talk about quirky and extremely sweet.

You wanna know something about my presents? I wrap them myself so they're genuinely MAN-WRAPPED. The paper is wrinkled and repeatedly folded over because I always use too much. All that's missing is a bungee cord instead of tape to hold it together. At least it's easy to pick my present out of a pile :).

Women like to not say what they mean to men, as a test. No, you don't have to get me a Valentine's (OK BUB, no chocolates... no chance.) No, I don't like flowers as a gift (I die a little each time you forget flowers for major occasions.)

You have a promising future as every shitty standup comedian of the last 20 years

C

Chibibar

heh. I gave my wife an umbrella samurai sword, a heart warmer toy, and iphone pen. She love the heart :) It is not the monetary value of the gift, it is the meaning behind it :)

You have a promising future as every shitty standup comedian of the last 20 years[/QUOTE]

Gee, I am so sorry that I don't please you... I'll leave your little corner of the world wide web forever. And I better hurry too before you bring in your little "me too" army.

Status
Not open for further replies.