[Funny] BAN EVERY CHICKEN SANDWICH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ty Cobb was a huge openly racist asshole.

ESPN said:
How mean was Ty Cobb? On May 15, 1912, the Tigers were in New York to play the Yankees. A fan named Claude Lueker, who had lost one hand and three fingers on the other in a printing press accident, was heckling Cobb. The two traded insults for a couple of innings. After one exchange, teammate Sam Crawford asked Cobb if he was going to take that. Cobb charged into the grandstand and proceeded to beat and stomp Lueker. When somebody said he has no hands, Cobb shouted, "I don't care if he has no feet."
Link

Here's my basic take on it
Pointing out that there are other greater injustices in the world one might let slide does not indicate that one should give up protesting a lessor injustice. Belittling people because of their hypocrisy is rather shortsighted.

That is just Tosh .0 all over again.

And so what about him being a racist or an asshole. He hated everybody. Then opened charity hospitals and took care of old ball players that were stupid with their money.

I've never even thought about that. That is something worth protesting. Heck, I even know people who are against gay marriage that would get behind a protest against that.[DOUBLEPOST=1344366165][/DOUBLEPOST]

Case in point: Have you eaten at Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, or KFC recently? Then you've supported candidates that are against gay marriage.

I'm sure that other companies everyone uses all the time are the exact same way.

That's not a terribly compelling argument. There are lots of reason to support a candidate, and looking at that list, none of them are aimed specifically against gay marriage. You're also overlooking the fact that YUMS! has given money directly to politicians with a pro-gay rights voting record. You just linked to PAC/party donations.

The owner for Chick fil-a, however, has donated millions specifically aimed at that cause.

Ugh, looking through the list he's also donated to the Exodus Foundation, which is one of those "we can rehabilitate the gays" groups.

S

Soliloquy

Pointing out that there are other greater injustices in the world one might let slide does not indicate that one should give up protesting a lessor injustice. Belittling people because of their hypocrisy is rather shortsighted.
The difference is... this is the same injustice he's talking about, but a more blatantly harmful form than a company owner supporting his beliefs. This bandwagon bashing has accomplished little (and in many ways backfired, since many free speech advocates are taking the side of Chick-fil-a and showing it support)

That's not a terribly compelling argument. There are lots of reason to support a candidate, and looking at that list, none of them are aimed specifically against gay marriage. You're also overlooking the fact that YUMS! has given money directly to politicians with a pro-gay rights voting record. You just linked to PAC/party donations.

The owner for Chick fil-a, however, has donated millions specifically aimed at that cause.

Ugh, looking through the list he's also donated to the Exodus Foundation, which is one of those "we can rehabilitate the gays" groups.
Yeah, looking into it I guess you're right. Chick fil-a is a bit more egregious in its donations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that all this started when the Chick-Fil-A owners answered a question by reporters about whether they support the traditional definition of a family or whatnot.

They answered in the affirmative. They didn't say anything specifically about gay marriage, or go on any rants, or anything like that. They just said that this was their view, and everyone pro-LGBT starts rallying in against them (to the extent of the Chicago Mayor denying them the right to open more stores in the city due to their stated views, which is blatantly illegal).

In response to that, all the hateful anti-LGBT people started rallying in their favor.

Meanwhile all Chick-fil-a did was answer a reporter's question and leave it like that.

So if you want to not go to Chick-Fil-A for that, that's within your rights. But unless I'm missing something, Chick-Fil-A hadn't exactly been actively promoting hatred, or even been a symbol of it until everyone reacted to a simple answer to a question during an interview.
I think the comment has more to do with the multitudes of morons that came out of the woodwork during it basically saying, "I don't care if Chick-Fil-A hates gays, love that chicken!" and the like.

Seriously, this works, and works well (look at how the music industry is scrambling right now).
The only trouble is getting enough people to go along.

--Patrick
I wouldn't call it a boycott, I'd call it more "people always would rather have something for free than pay for it."

So the guy who set fire to the cheerios on General Mills' lawn has been fired and is under criminal investigation.
Probably a good thing. Anyone stupid enough to film themselves starting a fire on the lawn of a major corporate headquarters and then running is probably not someone you want on the payroll.

If he was on public property, and performed the burn in a safe, controlled manner it wouldn't have been any different than protesters burning the flag, and thus still a statement protectd by free speech.

However he was on private property, performed the burn in an unsafe manner, and at minimum damaged the landscaping with the fire. Further he left the scene of the fire he started without attempting to alert authorities. It's possible he could be charged with arson.

I am waiting for that guy to make a freedom of speech argument against his employer.
:facepalm:
Every person who tries crying "freedom of speech" against private companies neds to be beaten for an hour with a copy of the first amendment...

...wrapped around a baseball bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.