[Gaming] Best and Worst Game Endings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to list things and do some bitching. Important note: good games and bad games alike can have good and bad endings so don't limit yourselves just to games that betrayed you in the end. Also, probably spoilers. I'd appreciate if people would list the game's title before anything else.

Good:
I think Final Fantasy IX is overall a colossal mess, but the ending gets me every time.
I'd almost go so far as to say that it didn't earn its ending because I didn't care much about Zidane and Garnet, especially when he left her to fail at saving fucking Kuja. Still, I love seeing the play bookend, Garnet's run, and the reunion.
The music is fantastic and almost convinced me I'd experienced a much better story than I really did.

Bad:
Mass Effect 3.[/thread]

Assassin's Creed: Revelations certainly wasn't the best of games, but the ending got me choked up.

No books... no wisdom... Just you, fratello mio. Requiescat in pace, Altaïr.

Final Fantasy 3's (6) ending was pretty smagical. It gave some closure to most of the characters. Even a little to the optional ones.

Jurassic Park for the SNES has one of the worst endings in any game. That game, with no save points or passwords or anything, took anywhere for 8+ hours to beat in a sitting and was hard as fuck to boot and required hide and seek with a shitload of hidden dinosaur eggs before it would let you complete it.

Here is the ending you earned after the fucking ordeal, you reach the helicopter landing pad and:

The game was actually pretty rad for it's time, though the first person shooter segments are pretty unplayable today.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations certainly wasn't the best of games, but the ending got me choked up.

No books... no wisdom... Just you, fratello mio. Requiescat in pace, Altaïr.
Hated that game, but the ending was great, especially if you love Ezio.

I love when he talks to Desmond and talks about how they live fortunate lives, transcending time and death.
[DOUBLEPOST=1363217915][/DOUBLEPOST]
Final Fantasy 3's (6) ending was pretty smagical. It gave some closure to most of the characters. Even a little to the optional ones.

Jurassic Park for the SNES has one of the worst endings in any game. That game, with no save points or passwords or anything, took anywhere for 8+ hours to beat in a sitting and was hard as fuck to boot and required hide and seek with a shitload of hidden dinosaur eggs before it would let you complete it.

Here is the ending you earned after the fucking ordeal, you reach the helicopter landing pad and:

The game was actually pretty rad for it's time, though the first person shooter segments are pretty unplayable today.
Wow ... that is some shit.

Without a doubt, Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals is one of my favorite game endings, and even made me cry a little.

Maxim defeats who he believes is the leader of the Sinistrals, and his group thinks they've saved the world. There's a timeskip and Maxim marries Selan, and together they have a son. Not long after, their son is kidnapped and they find the culprit works for the Sinistrals, who are still alive. Skip to the final confrontation with Daos, the main Sinistral:
Most of the good stuff is in Part 1. Part 2 is worth watching too, though.

Worst? Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage. Game is hard as balls, and when I finally beat it as a kid? You basically get a Thanks For Playing screen, and that's it. Terribly unsatisfying.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm a big fan of the "badadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadadaddadadaBOOOOOOOOOOM" endings of many classic games, for instance the ending of the NES version of Bionic Commando. As a matter of fact, I'm a fan of most games that require you to fight your way out of a collapsing base/exploding spaceship/whatever. I like seeing the ways the developer can get creative to show the tortured structures rending themselves apart around you as you dodge and scramble your way to freedom.

Anyone else feel cheated by the "It was all a dream" ending of Super Mario Brothers 2? (Don't bother telling me its the Doki Doki Panic ending I don't like. This shit is canon in the U.S.)

Anyone else feel cheated by the "It was all a dream" ending of Super Mario Brothers 2? (Don't bother telling me its the Doki Doki Panic ending I don't like. This shit is canon in the U.S.)
Of Mario 1-3, only the first one happened. Two was a dream, and three was a stage play about the first.

Necronic

Staff member
CoD:MW 1 & 2 had pretty damned good endings if my memory serves.

As for bad endings...there's a lot but in games I've played recently I found borderlands 1 to have a subpar ending.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've seen many with a lot worse endings than borderlands 1. At least you got exposition, a reveal, and even a little humor/foreshadowing.

Now me personally, I'd say the ending of Spyro year of the dragonfly was awful. Of course...the whole GAME was awful but still.

Good ending: Brutal Legend. Where he's just driving off into the sunset not taking the credit and whatnot, just awesome.

Necronic

Staff member
I've seen many with a lot worse endings than borderlands 1. At least you got exposition, a reveal, and even a little humor/foreshadowing.
It may have been a better response to the worst final boss fight. It was just so underwhelming.

On a special note I think its fair to give a nod to Path of Exile. That final level is just so disturbing.

Necronic

Staff member
I first read that as FTFY, then kept reading my post and the quote over and over to figure out what you changed.

Dave

Staff member
Best: Portal or Portal 2. Both were pretty solid, although the song in Portal was better.

Worst: Gosh, there are so many. ME3, I think, must go for the most let-down.

I must admit, though, there are very few games I've actually finished. I get bored really quickly. If a game hold my attention that much it's usually got a pretty decent ending to it.

GasBandit

Staff member
You know, for the time it came out (1994), Under a Killing Moon had a pretty good ending. Granted, today the CGI looks cheesy as hell and some of the acting jobs on the part of minor characters is a bit cringeworthy, but for its time, was a pretty big payoff for playing the game.

GasBandit

Staff member
Did...did that guy outrun a fireball?
With time enough to turn around and look at it while he shut the bulkhead door.

It also used to bug my Dad when he saw the ending that it depicts the bad guys as reciting the Lord's Prayer (the space station being destroyed belongs to a fascist genetic purity cult... kinda like Moonraker)

But for all the (cough) high budget SPLODE going on, the payoff for me was that Tex Murphy, Private Eye ends up right back where he started after "saving the world," a broke, caseless PI who has to give dancing lessons to suspiciously masculine old ladies to make ends meet. I liked Under a Killing Moon a lot, pity I couldn't stick with the sequel, the Pandora Directive, all the way through it.

So true story, I used to play video games super late at night in high school, and so it took me forever to beat Sephiroth because I'd keep falling asleep during summon spells. :p

So true story, I used to play video games super late at night in high school, and so it took me forever to beat Sephiroth because I'd keep falling asleep during summon spells. :p
That's been happening to me lately while playing Bioshock Infinite. I need to play after the kids have gone to bed, and by then I'm getting a little tired myself. I'll get onto a skyrail or Gondola and pass right out.

Worst final boss fight ever:

That's right, you wait long enough and one of your friends/sidekicks kills him for you. You can interrupt his ending speech by shooting him whenever you like as well. He dies in one shot either way.

I hated that ending so much, I traded in the game and never bothered picking up Fable 3.

GasBandit

Staff member
That could be good or bad. On the one hand, hey, Borderlands was good. On the other hand, Aliens: Colonial Marines... You never know what you're gonna get.

Duke Nukem, another IP they bought, turned out brightly too.

My hope is they just GoGify the originals but for the price the paid for the IP, that's not likely.

First person shooter Homeworld incoming.

Christ, I just read that Gearbox outbid Sega for Homeworld (Relic is the original makers of Homeworld and are now under the ownership of Sega). I'm still shocked that Sega has no legal recourse against them over Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Christ, I just read that Gearbox outbid Sega for Homeworld (Relic is the original makers of Homeworld and are now under the ownership of Sega). I'm still shocked that Sega has no legal recourse against them over Aliens: Colonial Marines.
Should they?

Well, Gearbox allegedly funneled a huge amount of the money Sega provided for the production of Colonial Marines into Borderlands 2.

I love the ending of Shadow of the Colossus, anyone who played through it knows the atmosphere and mounting sense of regret and eventually dread that builds throughout the game and boy does the ending fulfill.

I can't think of any endings that I really hate although I am generally disappointed when games have huge stories and lots of build up but then give you a quick 2 minute ending that feels like they ran out of money.

GasBandit

Staff member
I remember now... Neverwinter Nights 2 had an ending that really pissed me off... both the final battle and the ending cutscenes.

The Big Bad tries to turn your party against you, and there is literally no way to keep everyone in your party. In fact, the underlying formulae that dictate who stays and who goes explicitly even states at one point if X stays then Y goes. Made me ticked because I'd spent the whole game trying to be fair and impartial to all my party.

Then, once you beat the big bad and save the day? Cave in! Everybody died! THE END! Sucked.

Oh, and while it isn't technically "the ending," the multiplayer was a step backwards from NWN1.

Status
Not open for further replies.