Bi(cycle)curious lololol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fixed-Gear Bicycle

Pros:

They're really light, relatively easy to repair, and in a flat urban environment can go a little faster for the effort put in. They also supposedly promote more efficient cycling.

Cons:

You can't coast with them, so they can be really dangerous to use if you don't know what you're doing, particularly in traffic. And they make hills pretty much hell.

Also, a lot of stupid as hell hipsters only get ones which have no brakes because they're more "pure". And since most hipsters aren't experienced bike messengers, being anywhere near a hipster on one of these can be hazardous to your health (or your car's health).

Apparently I have a fixie then. I used to have a bike with gears back when I went to high school, but after about my 10th gear related brakedown I gave up on it.

Reading up on that wiki link, it's fun to see how a basic mode of transportation here, is considered hipster culture across the pond. A fixie is quite the common sight over here, though most if not all by now are equipped with decent back pedal brakes, rather then none. Riding around with no brakes is of course against the law and pretty damn stupid to boot.

I've always thought the spelling of bicycle is all backwards... pronunciation wise. "Cycle" looks like it should sound like, well, the WORD "Cycle", it'd be better if it was like icicle and made it "bycicle" or maybe even "bicicle"... no?

I've always thought the spelling of bicycle is all backwards... pronunciation wise. "Cycle" looks like it should sound like, well, the WORD "Cycle", it'd be better if it was like icicle and made it "bycicle" or maybe even "bicicle"... no?

I know, I know, it's a language with no rules or logic whatsoever, that has just as much exceptions for the rules they DO teach than the cases it's valid for.

I before E except when it's not and all that. Still, with bicycle you have the letters RIGHT THERE, it's like a typo or something.

Bicycle has never bothered me. I mean, there are words I have wondered about but... Cylinder, cyclical, cycles, recycle... So many 'round' words use 'cyc' that it doesn't bother me at all. Bi means two in dozens of English words... Nah, that one I'm down with.

I call bull on relax though. You can't lax in the first place!

Cylinder and cyclical don't have the same "cy" sound than "cycle" and "recycle"! That's what's stupid, how the exact same letter configuration can have vastly different pronunciations depending on context. You know how hard that makes it for people to learn them? Few languages NEED a pronunciation guide in their dictionaries like english does.

"re", on the other hand, is used as a prefix in DOZENS of words that don't mean to "do again", rectangle, repository, repair... and so on and so forth.

Cylinder and cyclical don't have the same "cy" sound than "cycle" and "recycle"! That's what's stupid, how the exact same letter configuration can have vastly different pronunciations depending on context. You know how hard that makes it for people to learn them? Few languages NEED a pronunciation guide in their dictionaries like english does.

"re", on the other hand, is used as a prefix in DOZENS of words that don't mean to "do again", rectangle, repository, repair... and so on and so forth.
Actually, of those examples, only rectangle uses "re" in a way that does not mean "do again". :p

K

Kitty Sinatra

. . . I think you've lost it, Mex. "Re" as a prefix means something akin to "do again." None of those listed words has a prefix

Oh I see what you mean in terms of pronunciation. Funny how I miss that. I think about words in terms of their spelling and so it just doesn't faze me. And you raise a valid point with 're'. I think it was one of those things that I asked as a kid and it just always stuck with me because no adult could give a valid answer.

Edit: I change my answer to Sinatrabeard's. It's totally about the prefix. I rescind (can you scind?!) my concession that your point was valid! BWAHAHA.

red, rent, rescue, reach, read, render... pick your own!
Most of those work, since "re" isn't a prefix for most of them.

Except "rescue". "re" is a prefix meaning "do again" for that one. Ironically, it's the rest of the word whose meaning has changed over time.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

. . . I think you've lost it, Mex. \\"Re\\" as a prefix means something akin to \\"do again.\\" None of those listed words has a prefix

..which is exactly the point I'm making, "relax" doesn't have a prefix. Duh?[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. :toocool:

K

Kitty Sinatra

But it is horrible, in that words that look like they have a prefix don't. After all "refuse" doesn't mean put a new fuse in.

[/COLOR]
. . . I think you've lost it, Mex. \\\"Re\\\" as a prefix means something akin to \\\"do again.\\\" None of those listed words has a prefix

..which is exactly the point I'm making, "relax" doesn't have a prefix. Duh?
Incorrect. :toocool:[/QUOTE]

Fine, an historical prefix that DOES NOT mean "do again". The point is "re" means "do again" very rarely if you take into account all "re-" words.

Yeah, wow, it's like language and pronunciation change as you move to different places and time periods or something.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Speaking of fucked up languages . . . what gender is a Mexican bicycle? Is it the same as a French or Italian bicycle?

(And a vibrator's male, right?)

C

Chazwozel

Fixed-Gear Bicycle

Pros:

They're really light, relatively easy to repair, and in a flat urban environment can go a little faster for the effort put in. They also supposedly promote more efficient cycling.

Cons:

You can't coast with them, so they can be really dangerous to use if you don't know what you're doing, particularly in traffic. And they make hills pretty much hell.

Also, a lot of stupid as hell hipsters only get ones which have no brakes because they're more \\"pure\\". And since most hipsters aren't experienced bike messengers, being anywhere near a hipster on one of these can be hazardous to your health (or your car's health).
More 'pure'? Since when the fuck did this trend of hipsters thinking they're the authority on bikes start?

S

Steven Soderburgin

Hipsters co-opting some aspect of culture and declaring themselves supreme arbiters of that item is nothing new.

C

Chazwozel

Hipsters co-opting some aspect of culture and declaring themselves supreme arbiters of that item is nothing new.

This really explains why I've noticed so many douchenozzles in the Philly metro area riding around on fixed gear bikes. They like to gather at the 'love' park outside of city hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.