[PC Game] Bioshock Infinite (beware of spoilers)

Just started playing the game. My laptop can handle Very high graphics, apparently. I have a feeling this is going to melt my face off.

Switching between the DX11 and non-DX11 effects is night and day. Holy crap.

I feel for you on this one console peasants.

So, initial impressions. This game's intro is just as jaw-droppingly rad as Bioshock's was.[DOUBLEPOST=1364275811][/DOUBLEPOST]
I assume you're talking about dynamic shadows and ambient occlusion.
And yes, also the post-processing as well. I wish the V-sync wasn't set to 30 fps though. It's either 30 fps or way over 100 with crazy screen tearing. I guess I could set that stuff in my video card's options.

Holy fuck, the combat is grisly.

I am in, hook, line and sinker.
Me too. Oh damn.

I seem to run it fine @ very high settings, though it every so often slows down for a few seconds and what seems seemly random times, then the FPS goes back up.

It runs screamingly well overall. This game is fantastically optimized. Any graphical "shortcomings" are easily eclipsed by the sheer magnitude of it's amazing art direction too.

Oh god... what time is it? What time did I have to be at work? Maybe I'll call in sick, I mean what are they going to do, fire me?

This game is GOOD. And holy shit is it beautiful. My PC is starting to age a little, but this game runs on max smooth as butter, they've done a fantastic job at optimization.

I have a spinny claw hook that sets people on fire while grinding their faces off!

I need to stop reading this thread. It's making me want to buy and play this game. And that'd be bad because:
1. My computer sucks and will probably burst into flame if I try to run it
2. I have neither the money nor time

I get between 30-50 FPS on the preset "Very High" setting. Sometimes it tanks down to about 18, but only for a few seconds, and then it'll go back up.

"Casually opens Nvidia control panel"

"Looks at SLI configuration"

*SLI disabled*

*SLI disabled*

*Enable SLI*

*restart computer*

*Open Bioshock*

*Set graphics to Ultra*

My rig is handling ultra graphics without an issue so far. I love that the combat feels like Bioshock, but is actually an improvement on bioshock.

Also, Murder of Crows plus upgrade to it that causes people killed by crows to spawn crow traps, plus sniper rifle equals pwnage.

The game key came in last night, though it didn't count for preorder bonus (didn't expect it to) and my system is loaded up. Just waiting for the graphics card tonight. Thinking about skipping work tomorrow...

"Casually opens Nvidia control panel"

"Looks at SLI configuration"

*SLI disabled*

*SLI disabled*

*Enable SLI*

*restart computer*

*Open Bioshock*

*Set graphics to Ultra*

Truth man. After Crysis 3 made my computer it's bitch something fierce (while not looking all that good, seriously, it's got good graphics, but it's optimized for shit) I was worried. This game runs at like 12 trillion fps and is jaw dropping.

Ugh, I normally do a normal and hard mode run for games I like and decided this time "why not start on hard mode?". Now I know why, replaying the same section several times distracts from the experience and just focuses on beating the gameplay challenge. Got a couple of hours in before work, loved what I've seen, but haven't even gotten to Elizabeth yet. Tonight I'll tweak my controls a bit and give my current spot another shot or two, then just revert to medium difficulty if need be, come back to hard later.

figmentPez

Staff member
I need to stop reading this thread. It's making me want to buy and play this game. And that'd be bad because:
1. My computer sucks and will probably burst into flame if I try to run it
2. I have neither the money nor time
I know those feels bro.

Just picked up my pre-order. So hard right now...

...to resist playing.

I also got the Season Pass and I'm hoping I won't regret it considering how crappy and tacked-on the DLC was for the original Bioshock.

Alright uhm...I'm...I'm gonna take a break. Think i got pretty far. Kinda..tired now. I've already been playing it for about 8 hours so...zzzzz

Just picked up my pre-order. So hard right now...

...to resist playing.

I also got the Season Pass and I'm hoping I won't regret it considering how crappy and tacked-on the DLC was for the original Bioshock.
Goes to show, I don't even remember the original Bioshock having DLC.

Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2 was better than Bioshock 2.

Goes to show, I don't even remember the original Bioshock having DLC.

Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2 was better than Bioshock 2.
I don't think it got much attention. I didn't even know about it until I was on the PSN store and saw there were challenge maps.

Needless to say I didn't buy them. I think the only game I'd really want challenge maps for is Dishonored.

If anyone can stop playing long enough to answer this without spoilers, I'd appreciate it:

Is the opening game a "watch, don't play" cutscene or is it hands-on like the original Bioshock? If the latter, is it a lot of running and gunning, or just moving for a little while?

Trying to gauge whether I start this while eating dinner.

If anyone can stop playing long enough to answer this without spoilers, I'd appreciate it:

Is the opening game a "watch, don't play" cutscene or is it hands-on like the original Bioshock? If the latter, is it a lot of running and gunning, or just moving for a little while?
Hands on, just moving around for a little while, a little moreso than the original Bioshock.

Trying to gauge whether I start this while eating dinner.
The opening is hands on, with a lot of exploring and introducing you to the world. The run and gunning doesn't happen until a bit after.

You'll enjoy exploring Columbia, it's an amazing place.

After BioShock 2, I was sure this game was going to suck. I'd been avoiding it. Then I read this thread...

Damn you, Halforums. *pulls out Visa card*

Fair warning to someone thinking about getting this game. Did you like Bioshock? No? Don't touch this game with a ten foot pole. Everyone else, touch this game with a ten foot pole.[DOUBLEPOST=1364346742][/DOUBLEPOST]How many psuedo-modern songs have you guys come across done in the turn of the century style. So fucking weird and really adds to how off this world feels. Hearing Tainted Love in old timey style is something else. Every time I come across one I have to listen to the whole thing.

Fair warning to someone thinking about getting this game. Did you like Bioshock? No? Don't touch this game with a ten foot pole. Everyone else, touch this game with a ten foot pole.[DOUBLEPOST=1364346742][/DOUBLEPOST]How many psuedo-modern songs have you guys come across done in the turn of the century style. So fucking weird and really adds to how off this world feels. Hearing Tainted Love in old timey style is something else. Every time I come across one I have to listen to the whole thing.
"I've never heard that song before"

"I don't think anyone has".

Yeah, that was actually a modern song. I'm talking about the modern songs done in the style of the time.

There was that barbershop quartet in the beginning, during the parade, singing God Only Knows by the Beach Boys.

Also, I didn't like Bioshock, and I love this game.

Had to update my bios to install the video card drivers, and now the game crashes occasionally. Turning the video settings down has decreased the crash frequency, but obviously I have a bit more work to do to make it play smoothly. Probably should updat all my motherboard drivers....

Still, what I've played through so far is a lot of fun!