Blackest Night hit today

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rubicon

wait which [spoiler:hhbhb4cz]Hawkman/Hawkgirl[/spoiler:hhbhb4cz] are they using? They're continuity is so fucked up.. they'd have to retcon some stuff for them right?

Just went out and got this today. I lucked into the last copy in the store so WIN.

Anyways, I enjoyed it but I gotta wonder when DC became such a fan of gore and violence. Marvel too. Like, stop killing everything just so you can bring them back later as total out of character assholes and make a mint out of the glorious "Return of" whoever event.

...which is basically what this will be. Except evil.

I am a weak person.

Mav said:
wait which [spoiler:6ywm86qc]Hawkman/Hawkgirl[/spoiler:6ywm86qc] are they using? They're continuity is so smurfed up.. they'd have to retcon some stuff for them right?
All of them. Kind of.

Basically, the most recent retcon has been that ALL of Hawkman's previous incarnations were just previous lives. So he remembers being them all at one point or another. It's probably the easiest, cleanest way to retcon the whole mess.

R

Rubicon

LittleSin said:
Just went out and got this today. I lucked into the last copy in the store so WIN.

Anyways, I enjoyed it but I gotta wonder when DC became such a fan of gore and violence. Marvel too. Like, stop killing everything just so you can bring them back later as total out of character * and make a mint out of the glorious "Return of" whoever event.

...which is basically what this will be. Except evil.

I am a weak person.
This is what I enjoyed about Civil War. It was a story that changed the status quo of a universe, but then it just became generic-event-with-some-characters-dying crap.

While GL is my fav and the Corps right along with'em, I'd love to see a bigger story where its not revolved around death. Sure the origin Crisis had some deaths but they were few and far between and the overall story was epic. Not every "event" can be Crisis-level written but just killing people off.. I mean I still dont get why they axed Steve Rogers in the MU. Especially in the midst of America still fighting the war in Iraq, the Superhuman Registration Act, etc it was a prime time to keep Steve around even if he was being incarcerated. Nope, kill him off instead.. *facepalm*

Well, they offed Cap because that was just part one of a 3-act story that Brubaker was wanting to tell. He'd been planning the death for quite awhile, with or without Civil War.

Picked it up a couple days ago (along with the giveaway ring, which makes me happy), and I'm going to be following this.

Two things. One: I REALLY want to go as Green Lantern this Halloween. Does anybody know any good costume sites so I could make a (hopefully budget) GL costume?

Two: Never really read much GL stuff before, although I've got a good idea of the basics (Abin Sur, destruction of Coast City, Mongul, Parallax, etc). Any 'essential' paperbacks I should read?

You could probably pick right up to speed with GL: Rebirth. If you want some other backstories, Emerald Twilight contains the story with Hal going nuts and Kyle taking over. The Sinestro Corps War stuff is pretty fun.

Some more classic ones, I'd recommend either Emerald Dawn or The Road Back. Or one of my favourites, Emerald Knights.

They fucking should have Bruce Wayne be the big Black Lantern.

That would be awesome.

Also, if this is the case, awesome, if it isn't, boo! I haven't read it yet.

Frankie said:
They smurfing should have Bruce Wayne be the big Black Lantern.

That would be awesome.

Also, if this is the case, awesome, if it isn't, boo! I haven't read it yet.
Am I just on crack, or am I the only one who noticed that Batman never actually died in the final crisis, he just got transported to the dawn of time, if the last page is any indication.

I could be wrong, I haven't read Batman RIP.

no bowielee, you didnt hallucinate that. grant morrison did. then put it in print. they just haven't picked up on it yet. its a bit vague on what darkseid actually DID to him. 'The Omega Sanction traps the organism in a series of alternate realities, each worse than the previous one. Also, the ability has been shown to transport those struck by it through time and space'

and as for GL stories, they recently did a 'secret origins' story for hal jordan, retelling his origin story, and adding more stuff for blackest night. its freaking awesome.

Anyways, I enjoyed it but I gotta wonder when DC became such a fan of gore and violence.

TA-DAAH

A

Aisaku

I sustain it's all part of the Omega Sanction...

On a side note, I just read Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader, parts 1 and 2 by Neil Gaiman. It was beautiful.

Bowielee said:
Am I just on crack, or am I the only one who noticed that Batman never actually died in the final crisis, he just got transported to the dawn of time, if the last page is any indication.

I could be wrong, I haven't read Batman RIP.
Bruce Wayne may not be "dead", but there was that mumifed corpse that was left behind after he was zapped. Since Darkseid's powers have included being able to create exact (but soulless, at least when Kirby wrote it) copies of those he Omega Beams to death, it is possible that this is what happened to make a Bat-Corpse.

J

JCM

Green Lantern Corps is one of the few reasons I havent dropped buying DC books (I <3 vertigo too BTW), but damn, Elongated Man ripping Hawkman's heart out made the Red Lantern Corps seem tame.

-- Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:59 pm --

BTW
BLACKEST NIGHT #4
Written by Geoff Johns
Art and cover by Ivan Reis & Oclair Albert
Variant cover by Ethan Van Sciver
Sketch variant cover by Ivan Reis

[spoiler:w087ip8o]Summer's hottest event explodes in this critical issue!

Hold on to your power rings, because the secrets behind the Blackest Night finally stand revealed! While Earth is evacuated, Hal Jordan embarks on a brave journey to the darkest depths to uncover the truth behind the Black Lanterns! You won't believe what he uncovers!

Continuing the best-selling epic from superstars Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis![/spoiler:w087ip8o]

Retailers please note: This issue will ship with three covers. For every 25 copies of the Standard Edition (with a cover by Ivan Reis & Oclair Albert), retailers may order one copy of the Variant Edition (with a cover by Ethan Van Sciver). For every 100 copies of the Standard Edition, retailers may order one copy of the Sketch Variant Edition (with a cover by Ivan Reis). Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

On sale October 21 - 4 of 8 - 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Aisaku said:
I sustain it's all part of the Omega Sanction...

On a side note, I just read Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader, parts 1 and 2 by Neil Gaiman. It was beautiful.
It wasn't bad, but I really wish they hadn't named it after What ever happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

fade

Staff member
twitchmoss said:
no bowielee, you didnt hallucinate that. grant morrison did. then put it in print. they just haven't picked up on it yet. its a bit vague on what darkseid actually DID to him. 'The Omega Sanction traps the organism in a series of alternate realities, each worse than the previous one. Also, the ability has been shown to transport those struck by it through time and space'

and as for GL stories, they recently did a 'secret origins' story for hal jordan, retelling his origin story, and adding more stuff for blackest night. its freaking awesome.

Anyways, I enjoyed it but I gotta wonder when DC became such a fan of gore and violence.

TA-DAAH
That's about right. And Infinite Crisis continued the bloodfest with the Secret Society and Superboy-prime's rampages. And the weird part was how ironically self-aware the very Infinite Crisis storyline was about the whole gore thing.

And funny enough Psycho Pirate is going to be a Black Lantern. There's a cover around somewhere, showing that he has a giant, fist-shaped hole in his head and one dangling eye.

ThatNickGuy said:
And funny enough Psycho Pirate is going to be a Black Lantern. There's a cover around somewhere, showing that he has a giant, fist-shaped hole in his head and one dangling eye.
for consistency they should have it scarred over with black goo, like they did for Black Hand.

J

JCM

Bowielee said:
Zombie black lantern vs Black Adam?

I´d buy and frame that.

so. #2 is out. and...

holy shit on a pancake.

[spoiler:1lzdeaej]zombie aquaman[/spoiler:1lzdeaej] and [spoiler:1lzdeaej]ZOMBIE SHARKS.[/spoiler:1lzdeaej]

[spoiler:1lzdeaej]ABIN SUR![/spoiler:1lzdeaej]

and oh shitbiscuits[spoiler:1lzdeaej]black lantern spectre[/spoiler:1lzdeaej]

[spoiler:khx7qxpj]The spectre was kidnapped by the black lantern Crispus Allen.[/spoiler:khx7qxpj]

Shannow

Staff member
Read em all this morning, great stuff, as expected! :thumbsup: The Deadman arc in Batman was just great too.

R

Rubicon

twitchmoss said:
so. #2 is out. and...

holy poop on a pancake.

[spoiler:3fezgz7b]zombie aquaman[/spoiler:3fezgz7b] and [spoiler:3fezgz7b]ZOMBIE SHARKS.[/spoiler:3fezgz7b]

[spoiler:3fezgz7b]ABIN SUR![/spoiler:3fezgz7b]

and oh shitbiscuits[spoiler:3fezgz7b]black lantern spectre[/spoiler:3fezgz7b]
oh dear lord in oa..

ill be back im driving to the comic shop NOW

Shannow

Staff member
yeah, everyone pretty much knew that already. they even asked Johns about it at Comic con, where he said no, but no one believed him. [spoiler:2kx7ve5y]I mean, look back at the old GLs where Raynor fights him, and its said right there that he runs pretty much purgatory, and when folks come back from the dead, or when an immortal dies, hthe window to this universe opens more and he can reach out and try to escape.[/spoiler:2kx7ve5y]

R

Rubicon

So is he a by product of the Lantern war? I mean if Black Hand is the 'leader' of the Black Corps, is he just like a side effect of the current ongoing awesomeness?

Interesting, wiki says that it's not the first time Nekron used death to fuel power rings...

@Mav

I'm thinking he's more like Parallax, the embodiment of the power they used. Also, check the wiki link.

Shannow

Staff member
Yeah, he is the main power behind the whole thing. pretty much everyone called it when this started. He runs death, and Johns is jsut giving him a revamp since his lsat appearance. I got the comics here somewhere. Kyle had to fight dead lanterns he brought back at one point when he was the only lantern left.

If you're still on the ropes about picking up this incredible series, look at this page from the most recent comic.

If you're not drawn in, then it's not for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.