[Gaming] Board Game Praise

Played Apples To Apples for the first time tonight. My brother was reffing, and the word he picked was "Juicy." My hand had nothing good for it, so I went with my best argument.

"'Beethoven'? How is 'Beethoven' 'Juicy'?"
"Well, considering how well he was preserved, he might still be a little 'Juicy.'"

Got a few good dry heaves out of my brother on that explanation.

We tend to distribute the field randomly, the numbers semi-randomly aka "random and then adjust a little bit to avoid clear problems/disasters" - having wood only on 2, 3 and 12, for example can lead to some pretty unfun games, so then you just switch one or two numbers around.
If playing with relatively new/inexperienced players the "base" spread from the manual can be easier/fairer to use.

This is wrong. This is just plain wrong.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/scrabble-dictionary-adds-newb-pwn-and-lolz/1100-6427544/

The iconic word board game Scrabble has added the word "newb" to its official dictionary along with some other Internet-speak terms most gamers will recognize.
Collins, which publishes the Official Scrabble Words dictionary, has added 6,500 words to the board game overall in its first update since 2011.
Some other words you may have seen during an in-game chat include:

• Pwn, meaning to dominate an opponent, is worth 8 points
  • Thanx, which is only one letter shorter than "thanks," is worth 15 points
  • LOLZ, "laughs at someone else’s or one’s own expense," according to Collins, is worth 13 points
  • WAHH, to express wailing, is worth 10 points

I ordered Small World, as my wife wants a game that's fun for both one on one and for a group ... and for some reason got one-day free shipping? Well, I'm not going to say no.

I really like Small World. It's very simple to play and the variety and replayability is high.
We just tried it out tonight. At first I got a little daunted with some of the specialty rules for different races/abilities, but we took it one step at a time through wife's turn, then my turn, read a couple paragraphs, then I turned another page and realized those were all the major rules ... we already knew how to play.

Our only major hiccup was that the Tabletop episode made it seem like you just grab coins and then find out how much they're worth at the end. We corrected this midway through, but it was still weirdly presented in that episode.

Also, ghouls are not a good late game choice :(. Especially against elves.

Small World is the go to game for my group of friends. I have all the race expansions.
Is each one worth getting or are there duds?

There are two games which I will play ANY time anyone asks. A Study In Emerald (which I've posted in the thread previously), and Glory to Rome (my avatar currently).

I'm actually itching to play ASiE again, which is surprising since I played it last month. The game's balance relies heavily on the players and the cards are completely random. I could play this game 3 or 4 times a month and still not be sick of it.[DOUBLEPOST=1440822556,1440822444][/DOUBLEPOST]
Generally all good, though I hear Underworld is very similar to the base game and you could really take your pick of which one you get. And really, they just add to the replayability.

We just tried it out tonight. At first I got a little daunted with some of the specialty rules for different races/abilities, but we took it one step at a time through wife's turn, then my turn, read a couple paragraphs, then I turned another page and realized those were all the major rules ... we already knew how to play.

Our only major hiccup was that the Tabletop episode made it seem like you just grab coins and then find out how much they're worth at the end. We corrected this midway through, but it was still weirdly presented in that episode.

Also, ghouls are not a good late game choice :(. Especially against elves.

I'd say the only one that I think absolutely everyone should get is Be Not Afraid. The rest are good, but not anything that you can't live without or you're super bored with the stock races/powers.

I bought a stack of less intensive games to quickly pass short periods of time with friends:

Bang! (Which I've played a lot of and enjoy every time I get to play it)
Roll for It
The Resistance

I've heard nothing but good things for both Roll for It and The Resistance.

I bought a stack of less intensive games to quickly pass short periods of time with friends:

Bang! (Which I've played a lot of and enjoy every time I get to play it)
Roll for It
The Resistance

I've heard nothing but good things for both Roll for It and The Resistance.
Bang! is a great game, but I would have suggested Bang! The Dice Game. Same theme and you don't run into the long periods where you don't get what you need from the deck.

Has anybody mentioned Citadels here yet. It's one of my faves. There's a bit of chance (in the cards you draw), and a good amount of strategy. With a nice bit of getting fucked over by your opponents.

Rrrrg, why are people so afraid to try anything new?

Dad and stepmom were here. We bought Dixit specifically to play with them. I start explaining the rules, which as those of you who've played it know, are pretty damn simple.

Dad cuts in "let's just play Apples to Apples."

It's the same shit with my mom and stepdad, same shit with friends. Apples to Apples is not the fucking ultimate of quick and easy board games. There other fun options; stop being so damn basic.

I kind of hate Dixit. It's ok, but playing it with my kids kind of ruined it for me because they are not very good at it.

I kind of hate Dixit. It's ok, but playing it with my kids kind of ruined it for me because they are not very good at it.
I was using Dixit as an example, but it's anything, any possibility of another game, it devolves to just playing Apples to Apples. It's ridiculous.

Only my aunts and cousins were willing to try new things and discover they enjoyed them, but that might've been because we'd buy them as Christmas gifts and they felt obligated to give things a chance. Though thinking back on playing Dixit with them, the two kids never won. Hm.

On Tuesday I bought "Exploding Kittens: NSFW Edition" at my local Target and got to play it for the first time last night with my brother and his friends. It was pretty fun. The games don't last very long and the rules are simplistic, but it does get very intense when the draw deck gets near the end and the exploding kitten cards are more likely to come up.

On Tuesday I bought "Exploding Kittens: NSFW Edition" at my local Target and got to play it for the first time last night with my brother and his friends. It was pretty fun. The games don't last very long and the rules are simplistic, but it does get very intense when the draw deck gets near the end and the exploding kitten cards are more likely to come up.
Played it a couple times now, both with 2 players, 4, and 8-9 (and two decks, of course). Definitely plays differently with a different number of players. Not as much fun with 2, honestly.

I watched my wife and her friend play a round, decided to pass on it. Instead I convinced them to play Marvel Legendary. I think we all agreed it was the right choice.

We found the regular version at Target on sunday and @dill616 and I played a few rounds it was pretty fun. Gonna try it out this weekend with a larger group of friends.

Also picked up Sushi Go at the same time and with even two people, that is a lot of fun. It has also been featured on an episode of Tabletop.