[Informational] Board Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Added & Tested Bejeweled Blitz and Xeno Tactic - a Tower Defense game.
Added at: 10:26
Added Battle Logan. A weird little game. I tested it out a bit but don't know how popular it'll be.

Dave

Staff member
Added a few tower defense type games. Haven't been able to test all of them yet, but they seem to be working. Note that the Art of War records the score but has the WORST ENDGAME ANIMATION EVER!!!!

Dave

Staff member
They got reset days ago. Maybe even weeks. November 15, to be exact. Didn't have a choice. There's a new dev on the Arcade team and he screwed up the version number. So I had to uninstall and reinstall the new update.

Dave

Staff member
Ladies and Gentlemen...Shoot the Gems Hard.

More coming soon now that they are getting teh scoring fixed little by little.

Dave

Staff member
I know, right? I'm adding a bunch of games today...but I have a whole shitload that I don't know how good they are or whether or not they are worth it. I got a HUGE pack of them but I don't know exactly what they are. So if they suck let me know.

Oh, and I know the Arcade doesn't have that nice look/feel yet, but please remember it's Beta0.0.7 version. Right now they are working scoring and the importing process...which right now sucks.

1. Admin Panel - Install New Game
  2. Enter Game name, slug value (which has to be exact or it'll err out) and attack image file.
  3. Hit Continue.
  4. Click game list, find the game you just entered.
  5. Add swf file and any other files.
  6. Save and test.
It's kind of a pain in the ass.
Coming soon, though, will be Mochi Games interaction, which will ratchet up the games by a factor of 11.

Heh. Was checking to see if the reason I haven't been able to post from work for the past two days was because of a filter setting on my end or my browser. It was the browser.

Dave

Staff member
Xenforo.com wants to know if you have any addons installed for your IE9 setup.
Added at: 17:30
Ooh! And they want to know if you can create an account and post to xenforo.com. They need to know if it's a Xenforo bug or something breaking with this site.

Well, the good news is I now know why IE asks me every morning if I want to disable some browser addons to speed up my browsing experience. The bad news is, I can't turn any of them off because they're all required by MSIT. List of addons and their states is as follows:
Adobe Flash Object - Adobe Systems Inc - Enabled
Adobe PDF Link Helper - Adobe Systems Inc - Enabled
Microsoft Silverlight - Microsoft - Enabled
Bing Bar (ugh) - Microsoft - Disabled
Lync Browser Helper - Microsoft - Enabled
Search Helper - Microsoft - Disabled
Windows Live ID Sign in Helper - Microsoft - Enabled
Messenger Companion Helper - Microsoft - Enabled
Office Document Cache Handler - Microsoft - Enabled
Bing Bar BHO - Microsoft - Disabled
Lync Add-on - Microsoft - Enabled
Research - Microsoft - Enabled
Messenger Companion - Not Available - Enabled
Blog This in Windows Live Writer - N/A - Enabled
Send to OneNote - N/A - Enabled
OneNote Linked Notes - N/A - Enabled
Research - N/A - Enabled
Discuss - N/A - Enabled
Search Providers - Bing
Accelerators - Email with Windows Live, Map with Bing, Translate with Bing.
I just created a Xenforo account and was able to successfully post there. I'm also posting this from IE - so it looks like it was a temporary issue; the worst kind.
Edit: Better upgrade that from temporary to intermittent. <sigh>
Edit 2: Testing to see if I can edit an existing post in IE.
Added at: 08:37

Dave

Staff member
*sigh* XenForo just announced a massive upgrade to their search functionality...for a price. Not sure how I feel about this.

XenForo Enhanced Search

In our previous development update, we talked about our "big board search" system. We are now ready to release XenForo Enhanced Search, designed to give significantly better search performance and additional search options to your users.

First and foremost, it is built on top of elasticsearch, which is in turn built on top of Lucene. This gives excellent performance, even with millions of pieces of content. Elasticsearch allows nearly infinite scalability and redundancy by silently allowing searches to be run across multiple servers.

Additionally, you benefit from a very small stopword list and no minimum word length, allowing nearly any search to return meaningful results.

Elasticsearch also provides support for returning results based on how relevant they are to your search. You can select relevancy ordering on the advanced search page.

XenForo Enhanced Search has been running on XenForo.com for an extended period of time, so you've probably used it already.

XenForo Enhanced Search will be made available for purchase next week (the week of January 16th). It will cost $50, with an update-and-support renewal cost of $10. Add-on renewal costs are linked to your XenForo license renewal, meaning that all purchased add-ons will be renewed with your license. (For clarity, this means that with XenForo Enhanced Search, your license renewal would currently be $40 + $10.)
Thoughts?

Can't even use the search from my proxy, so it's been forever since I touched the thing... not to say it's not useful, just not for me.

...significantly better search performance... very small stopword list and no minimum word length...
These are the only two I've run into the past that would make a difference in the future. But I use search maybe a few times a month, and it has everything I really need (search by user, for instance, during the secret santa).

I honestly don't like the business model they're pursuing, though, and I'd recommend ignoring it and sticking with the basic search. I'm not a fan of businesses that nickel and dime you for things that should be standard features. Moving from vbulliten with a lot of promises that things will be better, and now they've got people locked in they start pretending that they are adding significant value by making search actually useful? It's not increasing the functionality of the forums by 25%, so why are they charging that much?

But I'm just whiny. First world problems and all.

From a technical standpoint, it's worth taking a look at the logs to figure out how often search is used, and if it's sucking more CPU than you'd like - better performance generally means less CPU for a given search, so if that's an issue it could be cheaper than upgrading to the next server level. I'd be surprised if it was, though...

Dave

Staff member
Apparently this is more for big, huge, GIGANTIC boards and we're not the target demographic anyway. So I no longer care that much. :D

Good thing it's not an amazon one click purchase...

At $50/10, though, there's room for someone else to make a profit by releasing a better search for less.

Dave

Staff member
Looking at some of the other big board searches, this is actually a deal. I was a bit put out at first but now I know it really doesn't affect us.

Status
Not open for further replies.