Export thread

Board Updates

Dave

Dave

Within the next week I have a few things I need to do with the boards that may or may not take it down.

First, the SSL needs to be updated. I'm going to do that tomorrow. Since they aren't expiring they SHOULD have minimal impact. But who the fuck knows? Every time they tell me no impact shit goes south. Cross your fingers.

Second, we are at the end of our server space and we're going to have to move up. This is virtual space so MAYBE we don't have to worry? Who knows? In any event I have a ticket in to DISCUSS changes. Last time I did that the host just went *yoink* and did it without asking. I'm hoping that doesn't happen this time but if the board goes down unexpectedly, please let me know on Twitter or Discord. Preferably both since I don't Discord much during the day but get Twitter alerts.

I have also been looking at upgrading the software, but would need to renew the license and right now I'm being very conscious about money so I'm waiting.

As to that, depending on how my job search goes, October and going forth I might need a little help. If I start getting paychecks before then I'll let you know, but right now I haven't even gotten a nibble from any perspective jobs. So if by September 1 I don't have anything, I'm going to look to you all to help keep the lights on a bit. It's not much - less that $30 a month with the new server - but it'll be hard for me to justify to the wife, you know...

Emrys

Emrys

See my PM.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Dude, if you need some help with the license upgrade or keeping this place up, let me know. I can't always help out in various ways when folks need it...but money is one thing I can do.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

We also sent a message and are happy to help.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm on vacation end of August, beginning of September, but keep me up to date. This place is worth a monthly bit.

Dave

Dave

• I'm good for now, folks, but thanks to all of you who sent messages.
  • The main reason I haven't updated is I have no idea what it would do to our addons. Haven't even looked into that so it would take some studying.
Thanks, folks. Just wanted you to know what was going on just in case.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Been telling you we'd be willing to help out for years now, of COURSE we will.
Hell if I thought our local Internet was stable enough, I would've volunteered (or built!) a quality box for it already.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don’t want to speak for others but I would be willing to pay $30 one month of the year and I would bet there are 11 other people here who would do the same.

Bubble181

Bubble181

As I've said before - compared to the hours spent here, I could easily throw €50 a year this way and consider it my best entertainment money spent, timewise. Very few games offer me hundreds of hours of actually valuable time.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don’t want to speak for others but I would be willing to pay $30 one month of the year and I would bet there are 11 other people here who would do the same.
I would, and happily.

I've just always wished we could get more people on the board. I've tried inviting or recruiting friends, but most folks are happy enough with social media these days.

GasBandit

GasBandit

My offers of the past to help out still stand.

Dave

Dave

WHY IS SETTING UP SSL SUCH A FUCKING PAIN IN THE ASS?!? Nothing ever works the first time and everything is always fucked up and the instructions are always written in hieroglyphics or IT/legal speak. It's fucking stupid.

Dave

Dave

The only way to finish is to get the email. Been an hour and still no email sent.

Dave

Dave

Okay I think I got it. Same thing happened last time. I have to START with the email but then switch to HTML to download a text file, then upload that file in the cPanel. Then it works. Yay me!

But the SSL should be completed. Now on to the server.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

We're all doomed aren't we?

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I just checked - did you bind it as the primary SSL cert? I've still got the one listed that expires tomorrow...
1628271137487.png

Dave

Dave

I THINK I'm done. Maybe the old one has to expire first...?

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Shouldn't have to - you should be able to have the new one get set as the primary before it expires.... But then again, I don't know that specific setup - I've only worked on SSL certs in IIS..

blotsfan

blotsfan

Bubble181

Bubble181

We're all doomed aren't we?
That's " the human condition".

Dave

Dave

After I told them to do the move they haven't responded.

ANY time now...

Dave

Dave

Update complete. Now I have to fix the SSL.

klew

klew

Dave

Dave

Testing testing...

Dave

Dave

Finally. Sorry about that. Thought I had it. The instructions tell me to use wildcards "*.halforums.com" but that is what was causing the issue. I had to specify "www.halforums.com" for it to work.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm getting SSL warnings.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The old cert is still "in effect" but as it expires 8/7, and it's now past midnight GMT... I bet that's making something stupid happen.

I don't think I have the access to fix this, we'll have to wait until Dave gets back from his gig.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

New cert is self signed according to Firefox.

Dave

Dave

Did it fix itself overnight while I slept?

blotsfan

blotsfan

No.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Did it fix itself overnight while I slept?
It changed from an invalid date error to a self-cert error.

Dave

Dave

Weird. I didn’t get an error this morning.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Weird. I didn’t get an error this morning.
Probably the session you started last night where you told it to bypass SSL errors hasn't expired yet. It's definitely still happening right now.

1628430533483.png

Dave

Dave

Blew everything away & started fresh. Uploaded the crt files into the cPanel. I also turned on AutoSSL in the WHM, which will help in the future.

Looks like it all worked....(?)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Blew everything away & started fresh. Uploaded the crt files into the cPanel. I also turned on AutoSSL in the WHM, which will help in the future.

Looks like it all worked....(?)
Looks good to me, now. Nice job.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Looks like it's working fine for me too now, on Firefox.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Had the cert error yesterday on the iPad, but it's been fine today.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah it reports as cert by cPanel now instead of self-signed.

--Patrick