Books every geek should read to their kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Two authors that every child and every aspiring author should read are Roald Dahl and Ray Bradbury. Both know how to weave this dark world that hits you on all five senses. They're also kings of cadence and treating prose almost like some long form poetry. It's a good deviation from "standard" writing, in my opinion (that doesn't mean there's anything bad about other authors, just pointing out that these guys are a nice breath of different air).

I LOVED Ray Bradbury's children's book when I was a kid: Switch on the Night. I cannot find a copy of the edition I had, though. It's easy to find a copy of the book, but the new edition has paintings. I had one from like 1955 with scratchy looking ink drawings that really hammered the story home. Ah, here are the drawings in a Japanese edition. Admittedly, I haven't looked for it much online. Just in bookstores.

Oh yeah Encyclopedia Brown. I love that series.
I loved that series, but man, sometimes the solutions were so obtuse. I remember one that the only clue to solving the mystery was that birds were acting weird because they were eating fermented berries, meaning that the berries had been on the ground for a really long time.

M

makare

I agree but I thought in that one it was one of the Tigers that was feeding the berries to the birds. He kept them in the shed and then fed them to squirrels and birds.

The one that made me go oh come on was the one where the sally solved the crime based on which side of a booth in a diner the people sat on. It was supposed to be gender specific or something. No one ever told me there was a certain side I was supposed to sit on.

That's right, I can't even remember what the actual mystery was, but man, how would anybody think of that. Maybe looking back as an adult, I'd see the answers more clearly, but back then reading then, I think I actually solved 2 or 3 of them.

M

makare

That's right, I can't even remember what the actual mystery was, but man, how would anybody think of that. Maybe looking back as an adult, I'd see the answers more clearly, but back then reading then, I think I actually solved 2 or 3 of them.
Probably not the author wrote another set of mysteries that I read as an adult I think it was called minute mysteries or something. Nothing but wtf most of the time.

fade

Staff member
My mom bought me a Mensa puzzle book when I was a kid, and it bugged the crap out of me, because all the solutions were really subjective like that. That's not a puzzle. That's a test of whether my opinion is the same as yours.

The one that made me go oh come on was the one where the sally solved the crime based on which side of a booth in a diner the people sat on. It was supposed to be gender specific or something. No one ever told me there was a certain side I was supposed to sit on.
A woman was knocked out in the bathroom. The solution says that it had to be someone who looked like a woman, but punched like a man. In short, a man dressed as a woman.

I had the same reaction as you, I didn't realize there was any sort of gender-assigned seating in booths. Must be a 50's thing.

--Patrick

M

makare

Yeah I was trying not to spoiler but I guess if you haven't read it by now....

figmentPez

Staff member
That reminds me of a book my sisters and I loved:
westinggame032808.jpg

"The Westing Game"
I think one of the reasons I loved it so much is because I could never remember all the details. Which was rare for me. As a kid I hated re-reading books because I remembered almost everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.