Broke media parsing

The board doesn't embed media from 8tracks.com correctly. Worse yet, it thinks it can, so it tries to process straight links automatically, which causes them to disappear.

I've noticed that certain characters will break the URL conversion. I have not yet experimented to find out what they are, though.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
The board doesn't embed media from 8tracks.com correctly. Worse yet, it thinks it can, so it tries to process straight links automatically, which causes them to disappear.
Can you link me to an example?[DOUBLEPOST=1416723376,1416723279][/DOUBLEPOST]test

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I'm gonna have to open a ticket at their support forum, but my newly registered account there is still pending approval. Meantime, you can prevent the url from getting mangled by embedding it in a code tag, like thus:

Code:
http://8tracks.com/jguer106-39/floating-on-cloud-nine
I realize that's not ideal as it isn't clickable, but at least it lets you communicate the address successfully while I see about getting this fixed.

GasBandit

Staff member
I need @Dave to add my username to his xenforo license in order for me to access the customer support forum, according to their moderator, Brogan.

Alright, I'm gonna have to open a ticket at their support forum, but my newly registered account there is still pending approval. Meantime, you can prevent the url from getting mangled by embedding it in a code tag, like thus:

Code:
http://8tracks.com/jguer106-39/floating-on-cloud-nine
I realize that's not ideal as it isn't clickable, but at least it lets you communicate the address successfully while I see about getting this fixed.
Cool. Thank you.

http://%38tracks.com/jguer106-39/floating-on-cloud-nine

I was able to do this by converting "8" to "%38" (which is the UTF code for "8")
This does not solve the embedding issue, but it does at least render it clickable.
Also, it may shed some light on what logic is ruining the link (can't follow '/' with a number, maybe?).

--Patrick
Nice detective work.

GasBandit

Staff member
They may not be able to help there as this might be a conflict with a third party addon. If that's the case they'll tell us to talk to the addon dev.
Which other addon do you think it might be? BBCode Mediasites pack?

Dave

Staff member
Which other addon do you think it might be? BBCode Mediasites pack?
Don't know. Right now I have 2 BBCode Media things installed because I didn't know what removing the one would do to historic posts. It may be a conflict between them. Or it could be one of them individually. Or it could be XF.

Welcome to my world.

GasBandit

Staff member
Don't know. Right now I have 2 BBCode Media things installed because I didn't know what removing the one would do to historic posts. It may be a conflict between them. Or it could be one of them individually. Or it could be XF.

Welcome to my world.
Hrm, the only other media pack I saw in there was s9e, but according to its community page it doesn't have anything to do with 8tracks.

ERP wait a sec, there it is, it does. Hrmmm..

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's a thought - @Dave do you still have that "practice" installation of the forum that you used to test stuff on? Could try replicating the problem while disabling one media pack, then the other, on it without having to risk mangling older media posts.

Heck, could also use it to see if it does, in fact, break old media embeds to yank s9e.

Dave

Staff member
I haven't been keeping the test forum because on the old host it took up too much room. I could put it back up again.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't been keeping the test forum because on the old host it took up too much room. I could put it back up again.
Might be a good way to tinker without breaking real stuff. Latest from the support forum seems to indicate it is an issue with s9e, and it'd be nice to be able to fiddle and try stuff without hosing everything.