Canadian Politics

Well, we know why the Alberta UCP has been so keen on closing and privatizing so many public parks now. Especially now that they've stripped protections against open mining that have been in place since the 70s. Since oil is on the decline, Alberta is now going full gear into the future, COAL!

Such a dumb fucking province.

Well, we know why the Alberta UCP has been so keen on closing and privatizing so many public parks now. Especially now that they've stripped protections against open mining that have been in place since the 70s. Since oil is on the decline, Alberta is now going full gear into the future, COAL!

Such a dumb fucking province.
Watch what you say. If the environment minister is anything like the health one they might come to your driveway and scream cry at you.

Good morning, everyone.

I want to start by addressing the situation that’s unfolding south of the border, which is also having an impact here at home.

For far too many Canadians, the images and stories coming out of the U.S. are all too familiar.

As a country, we can’t pretend that racism doesn’t exist here.

Anti-black racism is real.

Unconscious bias is real.

And systemic discrimination is real.

And they happen here in Canada.

Over the weekend, we saw thousands of people gather across the country to join peaceful protests against anti-black racism.

By standing together – and denouncing the few who would try to derail these demonstrations – Canadians are sending the message that they will never tolerate injustice.

To young Black Canadians:

I hear you when you say you are anxious and angry.

When you say that this brings back painful experiences of racism that you’ve faced.

I want you to know that I’m listening.

And that your government will always stand with you.

Together, we will keep taking meaningful action to fight racism and discrimination in every form.

The status quo – where people face violence because of the colour of their skin – is unacceptable.

No parent should have to once again explain to their kids that they, or their friends, might face racism.

It is time – it is past time – for this to change.

As leaders and allies, we must do the hard work needed to listen and learn.

We must ensure that everyone is safe and respected.

That includes journalists, who need to be able to do their work on the frontlines to expose the truth and tell the stories we need to hear.

And we must, as Canadians, always keep working together, to build a fairer, better, more equitable country for all.

It has been a very difficult spring for many people.

And although the path forward won’t be easy, things will get better.

Over the last month, we’ve started to see promising signs that the curve is flattening in Canada.

Now, the situation remains very serious, but the more we can control the spread of the virus, the more we can begin restarting.

In many parts of the country, this is already happening.

In others, where the situation remains more uncertain, steps are being taken more slowly.

Every province and territory will have its own approach.

But as we move forward with restarting the economy, we must keep working together.

On Thursday, as part of our weekly call, I spoke to the premiers about collaboration on the path ahead.

I’m working closely with them – just like with mayors and other leaders – on what this approach should include.

Because there are a whole range of issues that will require us to take action together.

As I’ve said before, to keep Canadians safe, to give businesses the confidence to reopen their doors and people the confidence to walk through those doors, we need to cooperate on country-wide testing and contact tracing.

And on this front, we’re making good progress.

At the same time, our government is ready to be a partner for the provinces and territories in supporting vulnerable people, securing personal protective equipment, and working on childcare, to name a few.

In other words, we’re ready to be a partner in a safe, effective restart of the economy.

And today, we’re demonstrating a first step forward, with support for municipalities as they face a cash crunch.

From testing clinics to programs for seniors, cities and towns provide essential services.

So it’s crucial that they have the resources they need.

In response to COVID-19, we will make available $2.2 billion for municipalities in the coming weeks, through their yearly federal support with the Gas Tax Fund.

Normally, municipalities receive these payments in two instalments, but we know that cities and towns need this money right away as they deal with COVID-19.

That’s why we’re making the full 2020/2021 payment available now.

Minister McKenna has sent letters to all of her provincial and territorial counterparts to outline how this accelerated process will work.

But here’s the bottom line:

This is strong support to keep Canadians safe and our communities strong.

And it’s support that will give businesses the confidence to reopen, getting hardworking Canadians back on the job.

This is a start.

We know there’s more to be done to support municipalities and to support the entire reopening process.

There is still a lot to do to get our communities up and running again, to get our businesses open again, and to get people back to work.

In the days and weeks to come, we’ll keep working with the provinces and territories on this, and on a whole range of other measures.

But I know that we can do it, together.

Thank you.

21 second pause while he figures out a way to not call the leader of Canada's largest trading partner and closest ally a fucking racist tin pot dictator with delusions of godhood who is covered in cheeto grease.

I was listening to Canadian radio and fucking Doug Ford was giving this smug statement about how much better Canada is doing with coronavirus than the US, and I just want someone to say "the only reason for that is because Canada isn't completely run by people like Doug Ford."

And Ford is actually better than Kenney in Alberta, as fucking insane as that sounds.

Jason Kenney LOVES Trump style bullshit, except he's an asexual religious bigot who's spent his entire life stripping away as many rights and as much wealth from the lowers classes as he possibly can.

I was listening to Canadian radio and fucking Doug Ford was giving this smug statement about how much better Canada is doing with coronavirus than the US, and I just want someone to say "the only reason for that is because Canada isn't completely run by people like Doug Ford."
So inappropriate of him. If he feels his province is doing so well, then it’s more appropriate to share how they found that success and any spare supplies they might have.

Have I mentioned in the last few minutes how much I despise the UCP?

TLDR: Our Government has decided it's allowed to take money directly out of the victim's of crime fund, which is meant to be used to financially support victims of crimes that are in need. Use it for what? Policing of course!
Our (former) government has also stolen the EI surplus and the various pension surpluses and then has the gall to complain that they aren’t terribly profitable.

Our (former) government has also stolen the EI surplus and the various pension surpluses and then has the gall to complain that they aren’t terribly profitable.
Well of course they aren't very profitable. If they were, they wouldn't have to keep stealing surpluses, would they?

--Patrick

Supreme Court has ruled that we can not be discriminated against because of our genetics.

Which is nice.
I'm sure the reasoning behind this was to prevent discrimination by insurers and such based on predisposition to certain diseases, but let's watch and see whether this becomes a foothold to also wedge in the eventual end of discrimination due to race or sex, since these happen to also be things which are fundamentally determined by genes.

One can hope.

--Patrick

but let's watch and see whether this becomes a foothold to also wedge in the eventual end of discrimination due to race or sex, since these happen to also be things which are fundamentally determined by genes.
Is that not already illegal in Canada?

Its actually a riveting story. The bill to prevent genetic discrimination was brought forward by back benchers who like you mentioned wanted to protect people from insurance companies using genetics against you. But it did not have the support of cabinet, ie the people in charge, who felt it was procedurally unconstitutional. But the backbenchers got it passed anyway with the support of other parties. Bill passed and instantly challenged in Quebec on the grounds that the constitution reserves that pervue for the provinces, Quebec court rules in favour of Quebec motion. A group of citizens then take it to the Supreme Court to everturn the Quebec ruling and win.

Based on French civil law whereas the rest of Canada is based on English common law.

if I remember grade school social studies correctly?

Fucking lol at Ontario's Bill 197, which is a covid-19 response omnibus bill but is filled with insidious bullshit like removing the requirement of the Minister of Education having an education in...education.

Possibly « we want this person so hang the rules »?

I hate that one. I am currently being held to a double and much higher standard because of that one at work.

Well, bill 32 passed in Alberta, making it perfectly legal for companies to not pay overtime, change your schedule with no notice, deduct your pay with no notice and hold off on paying you what they owe you if you're fired.

WHAT A WIN FOR LABOUR IN ALBERTA!

Our extremely well managed government at work once again. The UCP have stolen billions from Albertan's pensions all to build a pipeline to ship worthless crude. Kenney's one term fucking looting of Alberta so far is a lesson Albertan's will 100% heed FOR SURE next election. Devastated healthcare with doctors fleeing the province in record numbers. Devastated education with the cut of 20000!!!!!!!!!! education jobs. Pensions left looted with terrible investments after the UCP ripped control away from who was supposed to be in charge through as we've learned, DUBIOUSLY legal methods.

My beating the dead horse is that Kenney is legitimately the worst premier in the history of Alberta.

Who would have thunk a political grifter from Ontario with a high school education would be bad at this (or good at this if being good at this is literally kleptocracy at light speed, in which case he's a fucking genius.). Alberta will likely never recover from this economically. He undid all the work the NDP did to set-up Alberta for a less resource dependent future by stripping away their tax breaks for tech companies and other businesses wanting to set up shop here. Only oil and now fucking coal.

I cannot put into words how fucking angry I am about this government.

Last edited:
I don't know that oil and coal need to disappear "right now" as some on the left line to claim. But heavily investing in and gambling time future on the oil and coal industry is just plain idiotic.