Canadian Politics

I'm trying to decide which is worse between a Trudeau majority and a Conservative minority. Either way nothing positive is likely to happen between now and the next election, whenever that ends up being.
I'm not fan of Trudeau or Liberals (I often vote NDP or Green), but Conservatives having any power at all would be an unmitigated disaster.

Meanwhile, my father said the person he wants to vote for is Liberal, but he doesn't want to vote Liberal. And at first said he wouldn't vote at all until I convinced him to vote NDP instead. So that's something.

He also said he wanted to vote for this person because she was Lebanese. Then he said he was voting for her because she was a woman. I asked what about her platforms and he said those were the only two reasons he wanted to vote for her. To which I said, it was kinda racist and sexist, though in a twisted positive way (I couldn't think of how to word it any better). Like, it's GOOD that he wants to vote for an immigrant or a woman, but don't make that your primary reason. There are plenty of female politicians in every country who are absolutely horrible, but not because of their gender.

To be clear, I absolutely don't want the Conservatives to gain at all, and I understand that the two options I presented aren't the most likely outcomes here, but in terms of potential for harm to the country I don't see major differences between nominally-Left Trudeau having unchecked power or the Conservatives having a minority that has to cater to one of the Left-leaning parties to get things done. At least with a Liberal minority there's some pressure for the Liberals to make some effort towards positive outcomes.

I voted NDP, so at this point I'm just watching to see how disappointed I'm going to be in the country for the next few years before we get to do it all again.

That's a snoozer of an election aside from two great takeaways: not one seat went to the PPC, and the PPC leader didn't win his seat. So really it's one great takeaway, but it feels so nice I said it twice.

That's a snoozer of an election aside from two great takeaways: not one seat went to the PPC, and the PPC leader didn't win his seat. So really it's one great takeaway, but it feels so nice I said it twice.
Getting 5% of the vote as the explicitly xenophobic, racist option still says some bad things about a whole lot of Canadians, though.

You can find 5% of Canadians that would vote for a ham sandwich, but that doesn't mean they're prepared to eat it. While the local PPC supporters to me are indeed....exactly what you say they are....they have never had a hope in hell of winning. Their candidates are weak, their leadership is hilariously incompetent, and their ground game is non-existent. Judging from the signs I saw, I would have expected a closer election here in Portage-Lisgar, and it wasn't even close. Hell, they almost got beat by the NDP which is basically Satan here.

Also, fuck O'Toole for somehow acting like he hasn't been demanding an election for months. Also, proclaiming that you're the party that founded Canada. Fuckface, the CONSERVATIVE PARTY OF CANADA has only existed since 2003 since the dickhead reformers trashed the PCs.

Apparently Chinese-Canadians, who are normally staunch Conservative voters, and the reason they have any seats in metropolitan areas have all but abandoned the CPC.

Last edited:
If you are an MP you have to serve 6 years before getting your pension. The election was called in a timeframe that would make most of the Trudeau 2015 winners just short of 6 years served.

This is a classic Canadian tradition of whipping people to campaign like mad in a very polite fashion.

I voted NDP and I like Jagmeet Singh, but he needs to step down as leader. Mother fucker, I don't want to be your friend, I don't want to have drinks and hang out with my politicians. I want you to present a God damned humanitarian platform that isn't focused on siphoning as many tax dollars from people to corporations as possible. This whole election was embarrassing. He's shown twice now he fucking sucks at campaigning. I DON'T CARE IF YOU CAN DO A KICKFLIP OR HOW NEAT YOUR ANIMAL CROSSING ISLAND IS. How do you only gain one seat when no one can fucking stand Trudeau and O'Toole is the most literal name ever given to a human being. Being likeable isn't enough.

I voted NDP and I like Jagmeet Singh, but he needs to step down as leader. Mother fucker, I don't want to be your friend, I don't want to have drinks and hang out with my politicians. I want you to present a God damned humanitarian platform that isn't focused on siphoning as many tax dollars from people to corporations as possible. This whole election was embarrassing. He's shown twice now he fucking sucks at campaigning. I DON'T CARE IF YOU CAN DO A KICKFLIP OR HOW NEAT YOUR ANIMAL CROSSING ISLAND IS. How do you only gain one seat when no one can fucking stand Trudeau and O'Toole is the most literal name ever given to a human being. Being likeable isn't enough.
I..actually like that stuff about him. Ot makes him fun and it's an attempt to appeal to young voters. And I personally WANT platforms that tax corporations and the rich.

But...much as it pains me to say it, too many in Canada are unwilling to accept him or vote for due to his ethnicity. Too often, I see racist attacks against him. He's a great guy, and I often vote NDP because of him, but not everyone sees it that way.

I also want corporations and rich taxed. What I meant by not wanting money siphoned to corporations is I don't want the status quo Liberal Con corporate welfare.

He's very likable (in fact, despite the loud racists, most Canadians like him) but twice in a row that's proven to be worth less seats than the Bloc.

He's not a great political leader.

I also want corporations and rich taxed. What I meant by not wanting money siphoned to corporations is I don't want the status quo Liberal Con corporate welfare.

He's very likable (in fact, despite the loud racists, most Canadians like him) but twice in a row that's proven to be worth less seats than the Bloc.

He's not a great political leader.
My biggest issue with him was during the 2019 election, he had been leader for 18 months and I knew zero about him.

I would like to think even the imposter(s) would've been fed up enough to toss McConnell out an airlock by now.

--Patrick
McConnell is the player who keeps getting caught using vents but has enough buddies playing with him that there are never enough votes to toss him out.

Really there are a few imposters and half the people are like “yes I am a blood sucking alien trying to murder you” except instead of murder they want to turn the government into a fascist theocracy.

If you are an MP you have to serve 6 years before getting your pension. The election was called in a timeframe that would make most of the Trudeau 2015 winners just short of 6 years served.

This is a classic Canadian tradition of whipping people to campaign like mad in a very polite fashion.
It was 4 weeks until the 6 yr mark. Ouch.

And did you know that if you don't get re-elected you get a half years pay. Which is fair.

So women just conquered Alberta in the municipals. Both Calgary and Edmonton have POC mayors. City councils of Edmonton, Calgary, Medicine Hat, St. Albert and a bunch of other small-big cities are all dominated by women now. It's a HUGE shift.

Very funny in St. Albert where every dude running for mayor or council had one goal, to put a stop to the solar farm being debated right now. All old white dudes with mustaches campaigning on how strong they are and they all had the exact same goal.