Champions Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannow

Staff member
Anyone else in the beta? I was underwhelmed with it back in Feruary, but there have been a lot of changes, suppsoedly, so I am redownloading it now and updating it. Just wondering what to expect from anyone else in it.

E

elph

I have a friend that's in it and his opinions weren't too hot. This was months ago though, so I'll have to ask if he's still bothering with it.

Shannow

Staff member
elph said:
I have a friend that's in it and his opinions weren't too hot. This was months ago though, so I'll have to ask if he's still bothering with it.
yeah, thats what I got out of it then. Meh, if I still dont like it, I will jsut sell the beta account. People seem to want them.

If Jack Emmert's still involved, I don't have high expectations. He got a rep of holding the CoX community hostage to his "vision" of what the game should be.

My son is in the beta and I've played around a bit. I liked it better than CoH/V.

GasBandit

Staff member
I applied to the beta like a year ago... went back last week, to find they didn't have a record of me applying, so I reapplied. Grumble, grumble.

B

Batdan

I've never played CoH, but I signed up for the betat of this and got in. I haven't been playing it much since they only send the email of days you can play the night before and I schedule my days before that. Anyway, the reason I like it is that I get to play a superhero like I always wanted to as a kid. Other than that it's just a typical MMORPG from my viewpoint.

S

Singularity.EXE

I would like to see what this game is about, I signed up for Beta, but have got nothing in response. How "completely customizable" is it?

Shannow

Staff member
Well, today is another open day. It is DL'd on my laptop and updated, so I am goign to give it a go here at ym desk at work between things to do.

Yes, the characters are insanely customizable.

All in all I had some fun with it.

Like a few MMOs, it really starts you out slowly. You pretty much have one power you can use from the start, and the way to activate and deactivate the powers can get a little bit confusing. I sometimes would hit the power only for nothing to happen, not like it mattered much though since most bad guys were ineffectual. Killing things can sometimes be a downright chore, and while I understand the need to make it so the creatures are not pushovers they went the wrong way about it. Creatures do almost no damage to you, but you in turn do very little damage to the creatures, so in the end I find myself sometimes sitting around just shooting blast after blast after blast before what I was fighting goes down, even though he hit me as hard as a wet noodle. There were a few times this worked, like when I fought a "boss" with another hero inside the Champions Hall, that was pretty fun, but the zillions of aliens outside were not.

The interface takes a lot of advice from WoW, but the menus can sometimes be confusing. It took me forever just to figure out where, and how, I could equip items, and could use some tutorials or just better marking. The overall animations feel "clunky" to me, like I don't really feel I am touching the ground when I run. It is hard to explain. Even just adding skills and other stats felt like more of a challenge then it should have been.

My computer is not bleeding edge, so I was not able to turn on all the little bells and whistles, but I did turn them up to kind of get a feel for the graphical engine at its best, and it really looks cool once you can add the highlights, comic coloring, and edge filters. I bet I would like the graphics more then I did if I could play with those, but they made my computer sputter to a crawl, so I had to turn them off. The game looks very low grade when you turn the specs to any medium setting or lower, even by other MMO standards.

Other then that, the creation system is very detailed, just like CoH. I found myself just wanting to go back and make new heroes more then actually play the game, and as a nice little bonus, the character select screen is a little "comic" with a screenshot of your hero in a dramatic pose, a nice little touch that really makes you feel like the hero you made is from a comic, rather then just for a game with a generic selection.

The ability to customize powers is also a very nice touch. I made a flame powered hero and was able to make the flames themselves any color I desired. You want a pink hero that shoots pink laser beams? You are crazy, but you can do it. The ability to gain a travel power so soon in your levels is also a plus, however I wish they had a way to alter the powers after you choose them. I found myself not really liking the "flame flying" power, but they don't let you see it before you get it, and once you do get it that's it, you are locked with it. The ability for your character to spread his wings while flying is also a nice little touch. (That is, if you give him wings during character customization.) I have yet to see if rocket packs do the same.

I think I may need more time to really see if I will like it, and maybe a better computer so I can see it with the graphic enhancements it was meant to be played with. Otherwise I have the same feeling I had with CoH, cool in some ways but just to slow in others for my gaming style, which graphics and animations that just feel clunky in motion.

S

Singularity.EXE

Shannow said:
Well, today is another open day. It is DL'd on my laptop and updated, so I am goign to give it a go here at ym desk at work between things to do.

Yes, the characters are insanely customizable.
What precisely is an open day? Is everyone allowed to give it a shot, or is that just for the people in the Beta?

Shannow

Staff member
ScytheRexx said:
I think I may need more time to really see if I will like it, and maybe a better computer so I can see it with the graphic enhancements it was meant to be played with. Otherwise I have the same feeling I had with CoH, cool in some ways but just to slow in others for my gaming style, which graphics and animations that just feel clunky in motion.
Thats what I got out of it. i was able to crank up the settings on my home pc, and it did look nice, but I do not think it will be my cup of tea. I am going to try it again though, since it has been out for 6 months and updating. See what it is like now, but I am definitely getting a CoH/V vibe from everything in it.

Singularity.EXE said:
Dammit.

Gimme!
Shannow said:
Wanna buy mine?

I'll be waiting until next month's open Beta, but I'm watching this game very closely, like most CoX players. Our Devs have really dropped the ball as of late and I'm considering switching to another game, like most of my VG.

ScytheRexx said:
Otherwise I have the same feeling I had with CoH, cool in some ways but just to slow in others for my gaming style, which graphics and animations that just feel clunky in motion.
That's exactly how I felt (except that I love CoH). Was not impressed at all.

K

Koko

Played the beta for ~5 hrs.
Pretty mediocre gameplay, interesting features but isn't fun to play.

S

Singularity.EXE

Koko said:
Played the beta for ~5 hrs.
Pretty mediocre gameplay, interesting features but isn't fun to play.
Wanna gimme your key then? =D

I like CO, its a fun game.

The bad thing about it is.. there's a few decisions that really feel bad to me. It could be a truly excellent game if they'd just listen to their beta testers in regard to a few key features, but as launch comes closer and closer i'm starting to lose faith they will.

Draxo said:
I like CO, its a fun game.

The bad thing about it is.. there's a few decisions that really feel bad to me. It could be a truly excellent game if they'd just listen to their beta testers in regard to a few key features, but as launch comes closer and closer i'm starting to lose faith they will.
The lead designer of the game is notoriously pig-headed and uncompromising in his vision. It's one of the reasons he left CoH... it was no longer the game as he envisioned it, so he didn't want to have anything to do with it.

AshburnerX said:
The lead designer of the game is notoriously pig-headed and uncompromising in his vision. It's one of the reasons he left CoH... it was no longer the game as he envisioned it, so he didn't want to have anything to do with it.
Statesman can suck my dick. :finger:

ZenMonkey said:
AshburnerX said:
Statesman can suck my dick. :finger:
Too bad his character is so central to the story of so many characters... they should have retconned him out/killed him off a long time ago and just made Positron or Manticore take his place.

I'm still hoping issue 17 is amazing. If it's anything less than I17: Hookers and Blow, I'm out of here.

AshburnerX said:
ZenMonkey said:
AshburnerX said:
Statesman can suck my *. :finger:
Too bad his character is so central to the story of so many characters... they should have retconned him out/killed him off a long time ago and just made Positron or Manticore take his place.

I'm still hoping issue 17 is amazing. If it's anything less than I17: Hookers and Blow, I'm out of here.
I'm pretty sure she's referring to the developer, not the character itself.

Bowielee said:
AshburnerX said:
ZenMonkey said:
AshburnerX said:
Statesman can suck my *. :finger:

I'm pretty sure she's referring to the developer, not the character itself.
I'm aware of that. I'm simply pointing out that, considering the circumstances involved with the developer leaving the company, the character that was designed by him to be his in-game avatar should have been written out of the game... especially considering how much the player base hates him.

AshburnerX said:
I'm aware of that. I'm simply pointing out that, considering the circumstances involved with the developer leaving the company, the character that was designed by him to be his in-game avatar should have been written out of the game... especially considering how much the player base hates him.
Sounds about right.

Shegokigo said:
AshburnerX said:
Sounds about right.
Thirded. Only time I ever got pissed off in an MMO about balance issues was when I got my blaster to level 50.

Complaint from tons of people: "We're supposed to be the glass cannon, but--given that we're mezzed and then one-shotted in the end-game--your 'risk-versus-reward' doesn't work at all."

Statesman: "Fine, here's Defiance." (NOTE: First incarnation sucked, second's more useful)

People: "That doesn't work at all, since we're dead before we get to use it!"

Statesman: "So? I don't have time for this, I need to upgrade tankers."

Enresshou said:
Shegokigo said:
AshburnerX said:
Sounds about right.
Thirded. Only time I ever got pissed off in an MMO about balance issues was when I got my blaster to level 50.

Complaint from tons of people: "We're supposed to be the glass cannon, but--given that we're mezzed and then one-shotted in the end-game--your 'risk-versus-reward' doesn't work at all."

Statesman: "Fine, here's Defiance." (NOTE: First incarnation sucked, second's more useful)

THIS is why I don't play my Elec/Elec/Elec Mastery Blaster anymore. Even with the Defiance changes, I get killed much too quickly to do anything except use my 2 AoEs and Nuke to clear a -single- spawn.

AshburnerX said:
Enresshou said:
Shegokigo said:
AshburnerX said:
Sounds about right.

THIS is why I don't play my Elec/Elec/Elec Mastery Blaster anymore. Even with the Defiance changes, I get killed much too quickly to do anything except use my 2 AoEs and Nuke to clear a -single- spawn.
Makes me sad they nerfed our nukes. I still have a picture somewhere on my hard drive back when you could hit ungodly numbers of things if they were close enough, and tanks would herd the entire map of ninjas for powerlevelling.

I helped the tank clear the map once by dropping next to him, capping out on accuracy and damage, pushed my nuke button...and my computer froze for the next twenty seconds. I killed somewhere between seventy-five and ninety ninjas, and a friend still has the picture of about thirty ninjas being hurled backwards from the explosion.

...and MAN I miss old City of Heroes :(

Enresshou said:
I killed somewhere between seventy-five and ninety ninjas, and a friend still has the picture of about thirty ninjas being hurled backwards from the explosion.
And then there was just one ninja left, and he was death incarnate.

R

rvdleun

Enresshou said:
Makes me sad they nerfed our nukes. I still have a picture somewhere on my hard drive back when you could hit ungodly numbers of things if they were close enough, and tanks would herd the entire map of ninjas for powerlevelling.

I helped the tank clear the map once by dropping next to him, capping out on accuracy and damage, pushed my nuke button...and my computer froze for the next twenty seconds. I killed somewhere between seventy-five and ninety ninjas, and a friend still has the picture of about thirty ninjas being hurled backwards from the explosion.

...and MAN I miss old City of Heroes :(
Ach, I'm a relative on-and-off newcomer to CoH/V, and never did quite see this in action. Can you post the screenshots? I'd love to see 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.