[Brazelton] Christopher Lee (93)

Nooooooooo! :(

He's been on my radar since I was a little kid and he was King Haggard in The Last Unicorn. That distinctive bass rumble was as much his signature as his acting. 93 (and still working!) is a full life lived, but I will definitely miss his presence on screen.

Welp, there goes the backup plan for Megabyte.
His was a towering presence in acting and his personality was deep. He was definitely someone who had a "knowing smile."

--Patrick

As Celt Z said, 93 and still working, you can't really ask for more....But it's still a shame to see him go. Great actor.

Dave

Staff member
He was in such great health, too. Got a respiratory thing that a 93 year old body just couldn't handle. Sucks, man.

Damn hobbits finally got him...

RIP, guy who could scare you with a look more then any monster from the same film he was in...

Cajungal

Staff member
Nooooooooo! :(

He's been on my radar since I was a little kid and he was King Haggard in The Last Unicorn. That distinctive bass rumble was as much his signature as his acting. 93 (and still working!) is a full life lived, but I will definitely miss his presence on screen.
That was my first experience with him too. When I met Peter S Beagle this year and he talked about the upcoming live movie, I couldn't help but feel a little sad. I figured Mr. Lee wouldn't get to be in it.

He had an amazing life. So many great roles and so many great experiences. Rest well, sir.

Filming a scene in Return of the King (seen only in the extended version), when Grima Wormtongue (Brad Dourif) stabs Saruman in the back on top of the tower, Christopher Lee corrected Peter Jackson on the fact that when a person is stabbed in the back of the chest, they do not scream (as the director wanted), in fact the air is pushed out of their lungs and they “groan” with an exhalation of air, very quietly, as their lungs have been punctured.
From Peter Jackson’s DVD commentary: “When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would, I was explaining to him what he should do… And he says, ‘Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?’ And I said, 'Um, no.’ And he says 'Well, I have, and I know what to do.’”
The crew said that they knew Christopher Lee had been in the British Royal Air Force Intelligence Service in World War Two, and they didn’t really push him for more information about how he knew in such detail exactly what noise a person makes when this is done to them.

I saw and heard him live reading from the Lord of the Rings accompanying the Tolkien Ensemble back in 2008 (had to look that up, how time goes by...).

He was tired because there was a traffic jam on the way to the theatre, but he took the time to for a group picture, as promised, with us extras after the show. A really impressive figure. Tall and stern, and he also managed a nod and a "Thank you" as he turned to leave. What a voice, I'll treasure that moment forever.

I hope I can make it to 93 and be as active and clear-minded. Those are some good genes.

He would have grown up with the new invention of sound in film, and then seen all the amazing changes in film.

He has done so many films; what a prolific career.

Christopher Lee will ALWAYS be the face of Dracula to me. I love Gary Oldman, but those old Dracula films were the basis of my love of horror movies. Not a single vampire has scared me since him.

This is bullshit; he was supposed to be an actual vampire. Maybe this is a cover-up ...

But if not, I'm glad for the memories. He led an amazing life, and shared a little of it with us through his talent. My first experience was Gremlins 2, his 200th movie, and even that was 20+ years ago. No idea what the count was by now.

Y'know, old as he was, I just sort of assumed he was going to live forever. The world was always going to have Christopher Lee, with his deep voice and awesome screen presence. He was never going to die.

Seems... weird... now that he's gone. Like it's utterly unreal and unbelievable.

Can't say I'm really sad about this. I'll miss seeing him in movies, of course, but he had a full life. He did what he loved right up until the end and faced the final curtain with a bow. That's not a bad way to go.

This is bullshit; he was supposed to be an actual vampire. Maybe this is a cover-up ...

But if not, I'm glad for the memories. He led an amazing life, and shared a little of it with us through his talent. My first experience was Gremlins 2, his 200th movie, and even that was 20+ years ago. No idea what the count was by now.
My first experience with him were animated and kids movies even though I didn't know his name at the time. He was the evil king Kato in the movie Mio in the land of Faraway. Sadly the fight with him is a little disappointing

(Skip to 9:20 to see more of him and the fight but be aware that you will see the end of the movie too. And a little bit of trivia, Mios friend is played by Christian Bale.)

He was also King Haggard in the german version of the last unicorn.

And he was Thor and Odin in the german dub of the danish animated movie Valhalla.