Cultural Appropriation - Censorship vs Racism, or not?

I completely agree. PLEASE tell me this is undetected satire... right? I really want to believe that.
Here's the spreadsheet linked in the article, in case you missed it: White-Owned Appropriative Restaurants in Portland

Their definition is unironically steeped in the "whites = illuminati" brand of progressive politics I'm so fond of.
Criteria for Appropriation: Restaurants or food carts selling non-European international cuisine owned *solely* by white people who were not born or raised in the country or region from which the restaurant's cuisine originates. Particularly egregious examples of religious or cultural appropriation in decor or branding are also included.

A different perspective on BurritoGate: Let White People Appropriate Mexican Food—Mexicans Do It to Ourselves All the Time

What these culture warriors who proclaim to defend Mexicans don't realize is that we're talking about the food industry, one of the most rapacious businesses ever created. It's the human condition at its most Darwinian, where EVERYONE rips EVERYONE off. The only limit to an entrepreneur's chicanery isn't resources, race, or class status, but how fast can you rip someone off, how smart you can be to spot trends years before anyone else, and how much money you can make before you have to rip off another idea again.​
And no one rips off food like Mexicans.​
The Mexican restaurant world is a delicious defense of cultural appropriation—that's what the culinary manifestation of mestizaje is, ain't it? The Spaniards didn't know how to make corn tortillas in the North, so they decided to make them from flour. Mexicans didn't care much for Spanish dessert breads, so we ripped off most pan dulces from the French (not to mention waltzes and mariachi). We didn't care much for wine, so embraced the beers that German, Czech and Polish immigrants brought to Mexico. And what is al pastor if not Mexicans taking shawerma from Lebanese, adding pork, and making it something as quintessentially Mexicans as a corrupt PRI?​

The best way I've heard it described is that its an issue if there's a disrespect implied. Like, if there was one dish that was considered a holy meal in some religion and you opened up a restaurant where you deep fried it and covered it in nacho cheese. Cases where it goes beyond food.

I don't see anything wrong with having a good meal down in mexico and trying to recreate it for a restaurant in the US.

GasBandit

Staff member
The best way I've heard it described is that its an issue if there's a disrespect implied. Like, if there was one dish that was considered a holy meal in some religion and you opened up a restaurant where you deep fried it and covered it in nacho cheese. Cases where it goes beyond food.

I don't see anything wrong with having a good meal down in mexico and trying to recreate it for a restaurant in the US.
Yeah, but, dude, have you TRIED deep fried matzo nachos?

GasBandit

Staff member
Something's gotta give those damn things some flavor ;)
That was my little brother's argument about french fries. As far as he was concerned, they were just semi-edible, tasteless utensils for delivering ketchup into his mouth. Sometimes he'd use the same fry more than once without even biting it.

That was my little brother's argument about french fries. As far as he was concerned, they were just semi-edible, tasteless utensils for delivering ketchup into his mouth. Sometimes he'd use the same fry more than once without even biting it.
Your brother is a monster. Ketchup is the damned worst.

Me when there's no more wings but there's some blue cheese left.
This is correct, possibly holy.

I like both ketchup and blue cheese but if any of you mother fuckers puts ranch anywhere near food I'm going to eat I'll shoot you in the face.

I like both ketchup and blue cheese but if any of you mother fuckers puts ranch anywhere near food I'm going to eat I'll shoot you in the face.
Didn't know you were ranch-intolerant. Do you have to ask for food to be cooked in a separate kitchen?