[Rant] dave you do realize that deleting every mention of (redacted)

Regarding Bubbles' suggestion that a ban somehow altered my behavior. Nope. I didn't really care that I was banned. The only reason I came back was because Dave invited me back, and lifted it after NR's passing. I didn't even think about this forum after a few days of being banned 'till that email. I've mellowed out more due to finding myself more productive at getting a point across without being unabashedly blunt (as I had set out Chazwozel to embody). In other words, I've matured enough to understand humility and empathy. Keep in mind, I've been around since the beginning, and essentially throughout my mid to late 20's. It's not the ban that changed me, it's just growing the fuck up. Looking back 10 years ago at myself, all I can think of is the scene from Good Will Hunting, "And look at you... I don't see an intelligent, confident man... I see a cocky, scared shitless kid."

And you know what? Charlie is, in fact, a scared shitless kid. And I'll admit, recently I've let him get the best of me until I realized that I shit bigger than him, so why worry about what a little piss-ant says?
Wait, what, me? I didn't say anything like that :confused:

Wait, what, me? I didn't say anything like that :confused:

Doh! Zero Esc.[DOUBLEPOST=1452800985,1452800670][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, there was plenty of spillover, and let's not pretend political bologna was the only thing I did that irritated people.
Yeah, but you were never really bull-by-the-horns in any flame war. The irritating part about your bullshit has always been your calm demeanor, despite being more stubborn than a constipated mountain goat.

I find it ironic actually that, politically, I'm almost the opposite spectrum as you and I identify mostly on Charlie's turf. Yet, I'd rather have political discourse with you any day over Chuckles.

I find it ironic actually that, politically, I'm almost the opposite spectrum as you and I identify mostly on Charlie's turf. Yet, I'd rather have political discourse with you any day over Chuckles.
If we're putting Gas and Charlie on opposite ends of the political spectrum (even though I'm sure there's an overlap in values between the two) Charlie pushed me towards Gas's Ayn Rand* fantasy more than Gas ever did. And I'm as leftist as they come.

*I don't actually remember Gas ever liking Ayn Rand, but at least I didn't confuse her for Anne Rice this time.

If we're putting Gas and Charlie on opposite ends of the political spectrum (even though I'm sure there's an overlap in values between the two) Charlie pushed me towards Gas's Ayn Rand* fantasy more than Gas ever did. And I'm as leftist as they come.

*I don't actually remember Gas ever liking Ayn Rand, but at least I didn't confuse her for Anne Rice this time.
JCM vs Invader would probably be a better "left vs right" fight. Charlie trolls either direction just to troll, ad Gas is somewhere off on a tangent to the axis :p

GasBandit

Staff member

Charlie's the best friend the political right ever had. Often I've wondered if he wasn't just a giant walking intentional caricature meant to exasperate people away from leftist ideology.

As for me, Ayn Rand is ok. When it comes to political fiction, though, I prefer the older works of Heinlein (Especially The Moon is a Harsh Mistress). Libertarianism is a lot easier when you can chuck meteors at your oppressors :p[DOUBLEPOST=1452808830,1452808509][/DOUBLEPOST]
JCM vs Invader would probably be a better "left vs right" fight. Charlie trolls either direction just to troll, ad Gas is somewhere off on a tangent to the axis :p
It's more like this...

Regarding Bubbles' Zero Esc's suggestion that a ban somehow altered my behavior. Nope. I didn't really care that I was banned. The only reason I came back was because Dave invited me back, and lifted it after NR's passing. I didn't even think about this forum after a few days of being banned 'till that email. I've mellowed out more due to finding myself more productive at getting a point across without being unabashedly blunt (as I had set out Chazwozel to embody). In other words, I've matured enough to understand humility and empathy. Keep in mind, I've been around since the beginning, and essentially throughout my mid to late 20's. It's not the ban that changed me, it's just growing the fuck up. Looking back 10 years ago at myself, all I can think of is the scene from Good Will Hunting, "And look at you... I don't see an intelligent, confident man... I see a cocky, scared shitless kid."
I didn't mean the ban had changed you, but I can see how my post looks like that. (It also was me trying not to call you Chaz, since you said before you didn't like that.) Just that because later there wasn't bannable stuff happening, bans didn't happen. But back when there was bannable stuff happening, there were bans. Hopefully that sounds like what I mean.

And I know Charlie temp-bans himself at times, but still. I think Dave handled this situation and the steinman thread appropriately. Charlie isn't concerned with the issues he mentions. Charlie's concern is Charlie, and he says the things he says to make our conversations about Charlie. The sooner we stop taking that bait, the better.

(This thread getting a pass because being about Charlie is actually on-topic for a change.)