[Rant] dave you do realize that deleting every mention of (redacted)

what..the...fuck....can we go a week without a royal shit storm and people going SCREW YOU GUYS IM GOING HOME. in anycase im flabbergasted.

It's far beyond time to give Charlie a permanent muzzle. There's only so many times you allow a guest to take a dump on the living room floor before you take action. And that action isn't pinching your nose and pretending the smell isn't there.[DOUBLEPOST=1452611153,1452611040][/DOUBLEPOST]
I didn't censor! I told him to open another thread and talk about it there! Sheesh!
Sanctioning a guy who is blatantly going "fuck your rules, and fuck you too!" isn't censorship.

Dismissing his work and the effect he's had on society because he's done some terrible things along the way isn't wrong, but it essentially means you cannot accept anyone's work or contributions to society. It's a very isolating, and lonely, standard to hold.
There's "taking the moral high ground," and then there's outright Tumblrism.
Everyone has committed atrocities. Everyone. Yes, even Him. Perhaps the end justified the means, perhaps it did not, and one can go full Machiavellian, one can (conspicuously or inconspicuously) shun/deride the perpetrator or one can shockingly fall somewhere in between. How one chooses to reconcile deeds with people is a very personal thing, but one cannot expect another to automatically adopt the same stance merely because of how vehemently or how frequently one voices one's opinion.
Halforums is no hug box, it is a place where many intelligent people of differing opinions come to mingle while enjoying a lower requirement for social niceties due to the semi-anonymity. I rather enjoy it. I hope you do, too, dear reader. Let's all have opinions, but let's also respect one another and play by the rules and not be a shithead when we don't get our way, whatever it might be.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I will say that Charlie calling "hugbox" is hilariously ironic.

If he had his way, this would be the snuggliest hugbox of all the Internet.

I will say that Charlie calling "hugbox" is hilariously ironic.

If he had his way, this would be the snuggliest hugbox of all the Internet.
charlie is and always has been a fucking parody of himself and the average sjw. so when he uses terminology that derides his cause against others it always amuses us who live here in the real world. disclaimer-I am a horrible moderate take me with a grain of salt.

a place where many intelligent people of differing opinions come to mingle while enjoying a lower requirement for social niceties due to the semi-anonymity. I rather enjoy it. I hope you do, too, dear reader. Let's all have opinions, but let's also respect one another and play by the rules and not be a shithead when we don't get our way, whatever it might be.

--Patrick
As long as we can all agree that our opinion is right, and theirs isn't. Different definitions of "us" and "them" depending on thread, topic, time of day, period of the month, season and other circumstances, of course.

I realize in my post above (and in many others) I may sound like the kid trying to keep mommy and daddy from fighting, or like Rodney King ("Can we all get along?"), but my aim is not to try and convince y'all to avoid conflict, instead it is an attempt to say, "We are all adults! There will be unavoidable conflict! And as an adult sometimes it is your job to suck it up!"

--Patrick

But you don't understand, I just NOW realized that said celebrity may have possibly done something bad 40 years ago. This is the most important issue that I need to discuss on his death right now! This makes him a massive shithead and I am going to shout it loudly at passers-by in the hopes that the very temporary solidarity created as a result of his death is diminished for my own personal superiority.

GasBandit

Staff member
But you don't understand, I just NOW realized that said celebrity may have possibly done something bad 40 years ago. This is the most important issue that I need to discuss on his death right now! This makes him a massive shithead and I am going to shout it loudly at passers-by in the hopes that the very temporary solidarity created as a result of his death is diminished for my own personal superiority.

fade

Staff member
I realize in my post above (and in many others) I may sound like the kid trying to keep mommy and daddy from fighting, or like Rodney King ("Can we all get along?"), but my aim is not to try and convince y'all to avoid conflict, instead it is an attempt to say, "We are all adults! There will be unavoidable conflict! And as an adult sometimes it is your job to suck it up!"

--Patrick

It's far beyond time to give Charlie a permanent muzzle. There's only so many times you allow a guest to take a dump on the living room floor before you take action. And that action isn't pinching your nose and pretending the smell isn't there.
I've wondered about this for a while too, but then I realized some ppl just like to have a resident troll around, it provides entertainment and/or an outlet for ourselves to vent our rage, roll our eyes, etc.

So in a way, we're all Charlie :drunk:

You know, in the past a certain Halforums member (who I won't name, but others might know who I'm referring to) was temporarily banned more than once, and later perma-banned (for a while), for going into threads and saying things to get a rise out of people. And no, it wasn't always direct attack, but the mods knew what he was doing and still considered it harassment. Lately Dave's been having to babysit Charlie here and there, but hasn't wanted to go the harsher route.

But after those harsher methods, that other Halforums member hasn't been harassing anyone.

I don't see why Charlie should've been getting special treatment.

Cajungal

Staff member
Funny, I seem to remember people a small group of people pouting over said person getting banned, complaining that it was too harsh, threatening to leave or actually doing it. So it seems like Dave can't escape babysitting no matter what he does.

Dave

Staff member
Damned if I do....damned if I don't. We lost a LOT of people when I banned "Chaz". There was more to it then than Charlie's situation - like the head-butting between Chaz and N_R.

But that's ancient history. Even by my standards.

no matter what he does.
This has always been true for people in a position of power. There will always be people who think you're too strict, and/or not strict enough. Just look at politicians flailing around the migration topic in Europe, or weapons in America, or whatever. Some want strict enforcement, some want lax acceptance, some sometimes want one, sometimes the other. People will disagree with decisions, and there will be kerfuffles. The only thing you can try is to make a line you feel comfortable with, communicate it clearly, and stick to it, even when you doubt yourself. The worst thing is seeming randomness - two people do the same thing, one gets banned, one doesn't. Of course, situations are rarely exactly the same - I don't think Chaz and Charlie are equal, though there are some similarities.

Dammit Dave... that post of mine you deleted also had a question about Under Pressure... now i have to look for the answer myself... like an animal.

Damned if I do....damned if I don't. We lost a LOT of people when I banned "Chaz". There was more to it then than Charlie's situation - like the head-butting between Chaz and N_R.

But that's ancient history. Even by my standards.
Sorry, Dave, you're right. There was a lot more going on back then than I at first remembered.

Regarding Bubbles' Zero Esc's suggestion that a ban somehow altered my behavior. Nope. I didn't really care that I was banned. The only reason I came back was because Dave invited me back, and lifted it after NR's passing. I didn't even think about this forum after a few days of being banned 'till that email. I've mellowed out more due to finding myself more productive at getting a point across without being unabashedly blunt (as I had set out Chazwozel to embody). In other words, I've matured enough to understand humility and empathy. Keep in mind, I've been around since the beginning, and essentially throughout my mid to late 20's. It's not the ban that changed me, it's just growing the fuck up. Looking back 10 years ago at myself, all I can think of is the scene from Good Will Hunting, "And look at you... I don't see an intelligent, confident man... I see a cocky, scared shitless kid."

And you know what? Charlie is, in fact, a scared shitless kid. And I'll admit, recently I've let him get the best of me until I realized that I shit bigger than him, so why worry about what a little piss-ant says?

Last edited: