[Comics] DC's new 52 (Comics; Nick, help!)

I like the redesign. I also like that this frees up Gail Simone. While it doesn't sound like it was a bad split from DC, it sounds like she's not doing any work with them for now. Personally, I hope she breaks out with her own creator owned project at Image or Dark Horse. It's high time she joined Brubaker and Rucka over at Image.

I know the artist is making her look a little younger than 23 (sort of. I've known enough 23 year olds that could still easily pass for teens), but I otherwise love the outfit! It seems far more practical than the average hero costume, but still clever and characteristic. I love the jacket description, too.

For once I am happy that they lowered the sexiness quotient, since she is underage...
Only in the drawings they've showed yesterday. She's consistently in her low to mid-20s. On the Batman & Robin age range (from which you can guesstimate anyone in the DC universes age) she's younger than Bruce Wayne, older than Dick Grayson (although they've evened out over the years).

If it wasn't for the hair I would keep thinking that's Stephanie Brown in that costume.

I haven't read comics in years. So they just put her back to an older age than she was when she was crippled, then rebooted?
She was a cripple right to the end of the previous universe. I think she was de-aged a little bit (like to Nightwing's age) for the reboot. I don't think she was meant to be THIS young, but I'm not sure. I haven't read the book.

The events of The Killing Joke still occurred in the New 52 universe, but she somehow got better from a bullet shattering her spine.

I believe she was officially Oracle in the new timeline for about a year. In the first issue after the reboot, it's her first time back out in the field after her rehabilitation.

The boots break it for me. The rest of the outfit looks sensible and practical, but those boots look too heavy for crimefighting (this could just be because they also look a couple sizes too large).

--Patrick

They have also announced that Lobo is getting a new title later this year. It is, however, centered around the "real" Lobo that DC has introduced, instead of the awesome original.

MUTTONCHOPS! Where are the glorious muttonchops?
images.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

That illustration @filmfanatic posted above shows a complement of weapons, but with that character design, I keep expecting to see a gunblade.

--Patrick

Look at the pistol on the left side. It has a blade on the butt of the handle.
I saw it, but given its placement I wasn't sure if it was part of a three-piece fishing rod-type arrangement that included the katana as the rod and the gunhook as the fishhook, or if it was just overlap from the items he is already holding.

--Patrick

As part of Convergence, DC's big event for next Spring featuring every DC universe colliding with other, all of the regular titles will go on hiatus and DC will publish 40 2-issue mini-series. These series include a number of callbacks to the pre-52 universe including Wally West as Flash, Stephanie Brown as Batgirl, Barbara Gordon as Oracle, Renee Montoya as the Question, and a certain married couple.

(via io9)

Is anyone else getting tired of these big, universe-changing crossover events?
I don't waste my time/energy/emotion on them so no. I'm really more annoyed with people complaining about them constantly. Particularly as they're lining up to buy them. So much good comics out there to enjoy, even from the big 2.

As part of Convergence, DC's big event for next Spring featuring every DC universe colliding with other, all of the regular titles will go on hiatus and DC will publish 40 2-issue mini-series. These series include a number of callbacks to the pre-52 universe including Wally West as Flash, Stephanie Brown as Batgirl, Barbara Gordon as Oracle, Renee Montoya as the Question, and a certain married couple.

(via io9)
"Hey kids, remember back when people liked our comics more? Well, here's a small teaser of that. But then we're going right back to trying too hard to be like 90's Image Comics."

I just don't care anymore. This feels more like a blatant slap in the face for people like me who hate the new DCU. At this point, I'm more a Marvel fan than I am DC.

I don't waste my time/energy/emotion on them so no. I'm really more annoyed with people complaining about them constantly. Particularly as they're lining up to buy them. So much good comics out there to enjoy, even from the big 2.
Outside of Swamp Thing and Animal Man, I ain't bought shit from DC since Blew fifty dudes.

"Hey kids, remember back when people liked our comics more? Well, here's a small teaser of that. But then we're going right back to trying too hard to be like 90's Image Comics."

I just don't care anymore. This feels more like a blatant slap in the face for people like me who hate the new DCU. At this point, I'm more a Marvel fan than I am DC.
Let me know when they start being like 2000's Image Comics. You know, the stuff I buy the hell out of because it's all pretty much great?

I just realized something else:

Not only will they likely use this event in order to show how superior the new universe is, they'll likely kill off a number of characters from the old one in order to hype up this big threat.

A lot of us got pulled into the excitement at first. Even me, whose first comment in this thread showcases my distaste for The Big Two. I wound up getting caught in the excitement, but it slowly dwindled.

I get the feeling Rebirth won't be much different. I'm curious to see what people's opinions will be on it in a few years and compare it with the New 52 universe. Everyone's still riding pretty high with it at the moment, but like New 52, I get the feeling that goodwill (and sales) will dwindle.

If anything, I think Rebirth has been even messier than the New 52. It's not a complete reboot and yet they still rebooted all the titles, acting like it's a fresh reboot. Yet it carries all the continuity from the last five or so years. People keep telling me to read the current Superman book and I'm just completely disinterested. DC hasn't earned my faith back and I doubt anything will at this point.

A lot of us got pulled into the excitement at first. Even me, whose first comment in this thread showcases my distaste for The Big Two. I wound up getting caught in the excitement, but it slowly dwindled.

I get the feeling Rebirth won't be much different. I'm curious to see what people's opinions will be on it in a few years and compare it with the New 52 universe. Everyone's still riding pretty high with it at the moment, but like New 52, I get the feeling that goodwill (and sales) will dwindle.

If anything, I think Rebirth has been even messier than the New 52. It's not a complete reboot and yet they still rebooted all the titles, acting like it's a fresh reboot. Yet it carries all the continuity from the last five or so years. People keep telling me to read the current Superman book and I'm just completely disinterested. DC hasn't earned my faith back and I doubt anything will at this point.
Don't ... worry about Superman right now. While it's cool to have the old Superman back and see him interacting with his son, while he and Lois and kid hide out on a farm under the guise of the Smith family, all signs point to a complete return to the old status quo. If they were going to keep a new thing going of Superman deciding farm life was for him with his wife and son, that'd be cool, but they're introducing elements to essentially pave the way to get both parents back to the Daily Planet, with the only difference now being that they have a 10-year-old (who will be in a series with Batman's son and possibly Batcow--now that's a comic I can get behind! :p)

There are some solid series going on with excellent writers,, but will they be left alone to do their thing? We'll see.

The best thing I've seen to come out of the New 52 was a 12-issue maxiseries The Omega Men that DC tried to cancel at issue 7 because it wasn't selling, because as you stated at the beginning of this thread, the really interesting stuff never seems to sell ... until it's collected in its trade and then makes the New York Times bestseller list -_-. DC, you almost screwed yourselves out of money again, and us out of an excellent book.

The only things I'm still curious about from New 52 are the initial run of The Flash (and even DC knows it went crappy after the starting team left, since they're collecting an omnibus of only those issues) and Animal Man (up until its starting team left too ... man, after a couple years New 52 became "abandon ship!" for a lot of these titles).

I'll admit SOME gems came out of New 52. Lemire's Animal Man and Snyder's Swamp Thing were two big wins to me. I own the trades for both of their runs. As I stated early in the thread years ago, I dug OMAC and I still have that trade on my shelf. I don't know how it turned out in the long run since I stopped buying it, but I wouldn't mind re-reading Demon Knights. And if DC ever does a new series of trades for Snyder's Batman, collecting them in in some easier to follow volumes (or just ones that would look nicer on the shelf, labeled something like "Scott Snyder's Batman, Volume 1, 2, 3, etc").

I don't know if I ever said it on here, but I think I know what bothers me the most about the classic Superman returning: it feels rushed. What bothers me isn't that he's back, but that DC didn't really earn it in my eyes. They literally skipped years of character development for Lois, Clark, and their son. We didn't see her learning she was pregnant. We didn't see them struggle with the idea of having a child or even if they should (or if she could carry through). We didn't see them visit Kent Farm to excitedly tell Martha (which they can't now because she's dead in this universe). I think the baby was born at the end of Convergence, but then they jumped to the kid being 5 or 6. There are years of storytelling skipped because they decided, "Welp, let's kill off this Supes and bring back the classic. Oh, and then we'll kill of this Lois, too, even though her new Superwoman title was supposed to star her." It all felt so rushed and inorganic. Not to mention that their entire story is muddled with crossovers like Convergence and Flashpoint, events like Rebirth, and other universes. I might have been interested if I could've caught up on the years that happened in between, with the issues of Action Comics that didn't come out because they decided to just return to the original numbering even though we've had 50-some issues focusing on the other guy.

Oh, and as for Omega Men, I plan on reading that in its entirety at some point. I'll have to check if the whole thing is collected yet.

EDIT: Oh hey, look at that. Welp, that's wish listed.

I'll admit SOME gems came out of New 52. Lemire's Animal Man and Snyder's Swamp Thing were two big wins to me. I own the trades for both of their runs. As I stated early in the thread years ago, I dug OMAC and I still have that trade on my shelf. I don't know how it turned out in the long run since I stopped buying it, but I wouldn't mind re-reading Demon Knights. And if DC ever does a new series of trades for Snyder's Batman, collecting them in in some easier to follow volumes (or just ones that would look nicer on the shelf, labeled something like "Scott Snyder's Batman, Volume 1, 2, 3, etc").
Snyder's Batman is the whole New 52 run; he never left the title during that phase. I think they just released volume 9 a week or two ago. It'd be nice if they collected them into fewer but larger volumes since he had a five-year run of the title, though. Same with Animal Man; I'm willing to buy the five Lemire volumes, but it'd be nice if they just put them in one or two omnibus covers.

Though not too big. I just got the 52 omnibus this past week, about 1200 pages in one hardcover. This is the best home defense I've ever had :p.

I don't know if I ever said it on here, but I think I know what bothers me the most about the classic Superman returning: it feels rushed. What bothers me isn't that he's back, but that DC didn't really earn it in my eyes. They literally skipped years of character development for Lois, Clark, and their son. We didn't see her learning she was pregnant. We didn't see them struggle with the idea of having a child or even if they should (or if she could carry through). We didn't see them visit Kent Farm to excitedly tell Martha (which they can't now because she's dead in this universe). I think the baby was born at the end of Convergence, but then they jumped to the kid being 5 or 6. There are years of storytelling skipped because they decided, "Welp, let's kill off this Supes and bring back the classic. Oh, and then we'll kill of this Lois, too, even though her new Superwoman title was supposed to star her." It all felt so rushed and inorganic. Not to mention that their entire story is muddled with crossovers like Convergence and Flashpoint, events like Rebirth, and other universes. I might have been interested if I could've caught up on the years that happened in between, with the issues of Action Comics that didn't come out because they decided to just return to the original numbering even though we've had 50-some issues focusing on the other guy.
That's actually a really good point. Though there is a mini-series about them hiding on Earth post-Convergence, all those stories you listed were never told and probably won't be until someone does a Birthright-style graphic novel of that time period to "redefine" it. Which they should do because otherwise those stories will never be told.

Oh, and as for Omega Men, I plan on reading that in its entirety at some point. I'll have to check if the whole thing is collected yet.

EDIT: Oh hey, look at that. Welp, that's wish listed.
Yeah, and for being a poor enough seller that DC wouldn't commit to just five more issues, NYT bestseller. I bought it and read it the release week. It's one of those books that should be brought up years from now. The guy who wrote it is on Batman now, so at least he can tell his stories without worrying DC is going to cancel the book this time.

Snyder's Batman is the whole New 52 run; he never left the title during that phase. I think they just released volume 9 a week or two ago. It'd be nice if they collected them into fewer but larger volumes since he had a five-year run of the title, though. Same with Animal Man; I'm willing to buy the five Lemire volumes, but it'd be nice if they just put them in one or two omnibus covers.

Though not too big. I just got the 52 omnibus this past week, about 1200 pages in one hardcover. This is the best home defense I've ever had :p.
Heh. It's like when Neil Gaiman got his copy of the first Absolute Sandman. He could stop a burglar with it. When the police ask what happened, he'd say, "I killed him with dreams." :D He said all that in a tweet or blog once.

But yeah, that's basically what I mean. I'd like his run in fewer, but larger volumes like Gail Simone's Secret Six or how DC is now finally re-collecting Greg Rucka's run on Wonder Woman. Given the popularity of Snyder's run, I'm sure it'll get re-collected some time in the future. I'm in no rush. I agree on Lemire's Animal Man. I actually only have the first three volumes (up to the Rotworld crossover with Swamp Thing), but borrowed out the last two at the library. I'd love to see a full, two-volume collection. They did one complete collection for Snyder's Swamp Thing, actually, though to be fair, his run stopped at the end of Rotworld.

Does that 52 omnibus include commentary in between each issue? I have the 4 softcover volumes that came out years ago which includes that. It has commentary from Rucka, Johns, Morrison, Waid, AND Giffen. Some really great insights. I thought about getting the newer 2-volume editions, but flipping through them, I saw the commentary wasn't included, which I thought was a huge loss.

Heh. It's like when Neil Gaiman got his copy of the first Absolute Sandman. He could stop a burglar with it. When the police ask what happened, he'd say, "I killed him with dreams." :D He said all that in a tweet or blog once.

But yeah, that's basically what I mean. I'd like his run in fewer, but larger volumes like Gail Simone's Secret Six or how DC is now finally re-collecting Greg Rucka's run on Wonder Woman. Given the popularity of Snyder's run, I'm sure it'll get re-collected some time in the future. I'm in no rush. I agree on Lemire's Animal Man. I actually only have the first three volumes (up to the Rotworld crossover with Swamp Thing), but borrowed out the last two at the library. I'd love to see a full, two-volume collection. They did one complete collection for Snyder's Swamp Thing, actually, though to be fair, his run stopped at the end of Rotworld.

Does that 52 omnibus include commentary in between each issue? I have the 4 softcover volumes that came out years ago which includes that. It has commentary from Rucka, Johns, Morrison, Waid, AND Giffen. Some really great insights. I thought about getting the newer 2-volume editions, but flipping through them, I saw the commentary wasn't included, which I thought was a huge loss.
I hadn't actually started it yet, but I flipped to the ends of a couple issues (these are nice thick pages; Marvel should take notes) and there is sketches, concept art, a little word blurb here and there. I don't know if it's the same commentary as the books you have, but there are some small extras.

I hadn't actually started it yet, but I flipped to the ends of a couple issues (these are nice thick pages; Marvel should take notes) and there is sketches, concept art, a little word blurb here and there. I don't know if it's the same commentary as the books you have, but there are some small extras.
Just read a review on Amazon for the omnibus and nope, it doesn't include the commentary. They were in between each issue and were 1-2 pages long each time. Damn shame. Still a great comic and I imagine the omnibus is gorgeous, but to not include the commentary is crazy. It was really insightful looks into the behind-the-scenes stuff. Like how a sudden, throwaway comment from Morrison during a meeting decided on the series' big villain.

Just read a review on Amazon for the omnibus and nope, it doesn't include the commentary. They were in between each issue and were 1-2 pages long each time. Damn shame. Still a great comic and I imagine the omnibus is gorgeous, but to not include the commentary is crazy. It was really insightful looks into the behind-the-scenes stuff. Like how a sudden, throwaway comment from Morrison during a meeting decided on the series' big villain.
Nope, nothing like that. Lots of sketches/concept art and blurbs, but no big commentary aside from at the very beginning that summarizes Infinite Crisis. For the most part, it's just the story.