[Comics] DC's new 52 (Comics; Nick, help!)

figmentPez

Staff member
Lois kinda got the shaft there.
No kidding. I get that DC hates marriage right now, so they didn't include the wedding of Clark Kent and Lois Lane (which was a pretty damn big moment in Superman history), but have they completely forgotten what an amazing character Lois Lane is? She's the one who gave Superman his name, for goodness sake!

A history of Superman shouldn't give more screen time to the Super Pets than it does to Lois Lane. She is not just a figure in an adoring crowd, she is a central part to the life of Clark Kent and Superman.

No kidding. I get that DC hates marriage right now, so they didn't include the wedding of Clark Kent and Lois Lane (which was a pretty damn big moment in Superman history), but have they completely forgotten what an amazing character Lois Lane is? She's the one who gave Superman his name, for goodness sake!

A history of Superman shouldn't give more screen time to the Super Pets than it does to Lois Lane. She is not just a figure in an adoring crowd, she is a central part to the life of Clark Kent and Superman.
Zack Snyder was involved, can you really be surprised they left out one of the greatest female characters in comics?

I saw it as a showcase of the respective eras rather than the characters, and to that end, I thought it jumped waaaay too quickly from N64 to Doomsday.

--Patrick

Holy shit that's overwritten. So much so it's almost as unreadable as the comic it's trying to comment on.

[edit] I take that back, it's completely unreadable. BREVITY IS THE SOUL OF WIT!

figmentPez

Staff member
I just saw a few panels from the comic DC gave out yesterday for free comic book day.

No. No, no, NO. Not enough "no" to know how much "no" I want to no.

And since free comic book day is the best time to put out something to draw in new readers, especially younger ones, DC put out something with this in it.

BRAVO DC. GOOD JOB.

Jesus christ, that's horrible. Way to venerate one of the classic DC heroes.[DOUBLEPOST=1399293447,1399293303][/DOUBLEPOST]Why does DC seem to think that no one cares about any character outside of the Big Three? Say what you will about Marvel, but they do at least care about their second string characters a little bit.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wow. When you thought they couldn't do anything more offensive than "fridging", they come up with "rib-caging".
They're literally treating their superheroines as nothing but body parts. :puke:

The other panels I've seen from the comic aren't any better. Here's a few others on Linkara's Tumblr. Including hands and arms getting chopped off; as well as Wonder Woman as some grotesque spider-bot getting torn to pieces by the Flash. Keep in mind that bleak, hopeless future, combined with body horror and brutal death is all wrapped up with Batman Beyond on the cover. Oh, and some places even bundled both of DC's offerings together. The other comic? A reprint of the same Teen Titans Go! comic they put out last year. What a wonderful goodie bag for the kids.

It seems to be in service of a pretty standard post-apocalyptic time-travel plot, too. DBZ Abridged is working on the Android/Cell sagas right now, did that trigger someone at DC? Or have they just been rewatching the Terminator series?

...I'm guessing that the folks at DC seemed to have forgotten the early '90s, considering they seem to think that grimdark sells well.

Considering that my kids gravitated to Mouse Guard and Spongebob on Free Comic Book Day (well and $70 of MLP comics -_-), I did not even notice this. Our comic shops only allows 3 free comics per person.

There's only one LCS in my area, and the line to get inside was an hour long, if not more. I decided to skip out on Free Comic Day as I didn't want to stand out in 100+ degree weather.

Sounds kinda like in All Star, when Superman went all evil and Jimmy Olsen infected himself with Doomsday. Only that was a single issue, and this story will go on longer than it satan-damned should.

Also, who/what the hell is Baka? He looks like a gray Nightcrawler.

fade

Staff member
The sad part is that countdown actually made me care. Then they spoiled the momentum.

I keep hoping the real DC heroes show up and are all like, "What the hell, guys?!"

Which is ironic, because that's pretty much Infinite Crisis.

There's an interesting credit on the Special 75th anniversary edition of Detective Comics:

io9 (and others) have reported that this is the first time Bill Finger has received a cover credit for a Batman Story.

There's an interesting credit on the Special 75th anniversary edition of Detective Comics:

io9 (and others) have reported that this is the first time Bill Finger has received a cover credit for a Batman Story.
Yeah, but it's only because it reprints one of his stories. Bob Kane effectively blocked Finger from ever getting credit for his part in the creation of Batman (you know...everything about the character except the name).