Democratic Primary: Crisis of infinite candidates

That timing's just...odd. The day before Super Tuesday?
That just reeks of someone higher up pushing reeaally hard to convince him to stop to give Biden his shot at keeping up with Sanders.
I mean, everybody knew perfectly well Buttigieg wasn't going to be the nominee this time around. But picking up some more delegates would've made for a stronger case for a plushy job later on - or a presidential bid 4-8 years from now.

Yeah, they're doing all the can to torpedo Bernie. If he loses, that's fine. If he goes in with the majority of delegates and they super delegate him out, that's literally going to tank the Democratic party for a long fucking time.

That timing's just...odd. The day before Super Tuesday?
That just reeks of someone higher up pushing reeaally hard to convince him to stop to give Biden his shot at keeping up with Sanders.
I mean, everybody knew perfectly well Buttigieg wasn't going to be the nominee this time around. But picking up some more delegates would've made for a stronger case for a plushy job later on - or a presidential bid 4-8 years from now.
My guess: Biden/Buttigieg ticket if Biden comes out on top.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, they're doing all the can to torpedo Bernie. If he loses, that's fine. If he goes in with the majority of delegates and they super delegate him out, that's literally going to tank the Democratic party for a long fucking time.
That's exactly it. Watch in the next day or few days as he backs Biden and throws his delegates that way. That gives Biden Iowa as well as a tie in New Hampshire.

These people REALLY want to see Trump get term #2, even if it implodes the country. Can't have a progressive like Bernie get the job. That's scary to the elite.

Dave

Staff member
That's exactly it. Watch in the next day or few days as he backs Biden and throws his delegates that way. That gives Biden Iowa as well as a tie in New Hampshire.

These people REALLY want to see Trump get term #2, even if it implodes the country. Can't have a progressive like Bernie get the job. That's scary to the elite.
And in today's news, Dave is right again.

It would be sad if it weren't so comically transparent.

Dave

Staff member
And immediately endorses Biden.

You tell me that someone in the DNC isn't telling these people they are done and to back Biden. I just don't believe they dropped out on their own the days before super Tuesday. Amy was slated to possibly win Minnesota and pick up delegates.

This stinks. It's basically full on war now between the DNC and Bernie.

If Bernie could only win against a divided party, then it would just cause a lot more division. If he wins with the party consolidating behind one candidate, it will give him better ground in the main. So why cry about it?

Why is it so surprising that moderates back moderates? It’s common sense, not some conspiracy.

If the only way Bernie wins is if the moderate vote gets split, how does that reflect what the party as a whole wants?

And honestly, for Mn, this might help Bernie more than anything. Without Klobuchar I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes for Bernie.

I've said before that my personal preference as Buttigieg, but that I placed Bernie over Biden. And I stand by that - I'm really quite aware that Bernie's not a commie pinko or whatever. Given the choice between Bernie, Biden and Bloomberg, I'd choose Bernie...though I'd honestly rather choose someone else than any of those three. The fact that the only 4 remaining candidates for the presidency are white, straight, "Christian" men in their seventies, who are all at least millionaires, is horrible.
That said, I honestly don't see why some Bernie fans are already calling it "theft" and "stealing the nomination" and so on. It's tactical play, sure - but it's not Evil. Warren should pretty much do exactly the same and support Bernie at this point.
If Bernie wins by having 30% of the Democrats behind him, and the other 70% split into 4x17% for moderates, to exaggerate, that doesn't mean Bernie is the Big Winner or the Best Choice - it means the others were playing as idiots.
Now, to be clear, Bernie > Biden > literally anyone in a surprise bid after the first round of voting, a surprise Michelle Obama nomination, a surprise Chelsea Clinton nomination, heck a surprise @Dave nomination >>>>> Bloomberg.

After Tuesday, we'll have a clearer picture - a lot of moderate votes will still go to "waste" due to early voting and mail-ins and whatnot going to the drop-outs. Will Bernie make a huge impression and take California and Texas? Will Biden make a big comeback and take the whole South? Will Bloomberg seriously hurt Biden and make Bernie stand out as the strongest? We'll see.

Yes it's a bit too early to tell honestly. Everyone seems to assume that the Pete and Amy votes would automatically go to Biden, which can be a bit of a leap. I have seen lots of Amy and Pete voters that had Bernie as their second choice.

The biggest fear right now is that Elizabeth Warren will siphon too many votes from Bernie should the majority of Amy and Pete voters shift to Biden.

The fact that the only 4 remaining candidates for the presidency are white, straight, "Christian" men in their seventies, who are all at least millionaires, is horrible.
In spite of what the Israeli lobby would have you believe, Bernie is Jewish.

Also, Bloomberg is Jewish as well. I don't take pride in that though.

I think the most stunning thing I've seen in the news cycles is how quickly they stop talking about Warren. She destroys in a debate - she gets a day. She destroys in another debate - she gets a day. I sat through one of these debates and felt like she was the only one who was completely calm and coherent (I like Bernie, but he definitely gives off the angry old man vibe at times, especially in the debates I've seen). And still, the news covers Bloomburg for being a douche way more than Warren for being...I don't know. I guess anything other than an old white man.

Wait, I might have just figured it out myself...

Dave

Staff member
Do you mean Democrats, or Americans?
Yes.

And unlike the rest of you, I DO see this as an absolute move by the DNC to prevent Sanders from winning. And say what you will that of course it's going to be moderates vs. progressives as the natural order, but the DNC is supposed to be a neutral fixture in all of this that supports the will of their base and if that base wants Bernie then so be it. I do not for an instant believe that Pete or Amy dropped out of their own volition without being promised something from the DNC in general or even Biden specifically. It made NO SENSE for them to do it when they did right before super Tuesday. I think the DNC is again showing their bias towards Business As Usual and fuck all that disagree or want something more.

Am I being tin foil hat? Maybe. But I don't think I am and I don't think I'm wrong.

Watching the Warren and Bernie camps evisterate eachother with hashtags today calling for one to drop out to endorse the other, I better just hunker down for another 4 years of Trump. As much as Republican's are idiot sheep, at least they use their toxic pride as a cohesive unit. Democrats just care about themselves and fuck everyone else, including other democrats.

Yes.

And unlike the rest of you, I DO see this as an absolute move by the DNC to prevent Sanders from winning. And say what you will that of course it's going to be moderates vs. progressives as the natural order, but the DNC is supposed to be a neutral fixture in all of this that supports the will of their base and if that base wants Bernie then so be it. I do not for an instant believe that Pete or Amy dropped out of their own volition without being promised something from the DNC in general or even Biden specifically. It made NO SENSE for them to do it when they did right before super Tuesday. I think the DNC is again showing their bias towards Business As Usual and fuck all that disagree or want something more.

Am I being tin foil hat? Maybe. But I don't think I am and I don't think I'm wrong.
Again though. Consolidating candidates is going to happen one way or another, and it's better for it to happen sooner. Politicians make deals with each other all the time. If they choose to do it right before Super Tuesday, then that's what happens. No one is making voters choose against Bernie. None of the votes those other candidates were getting were going to Bernie before, and now they might. Maybe they will go to Biden. maybe they will go to Warren. But unless the DNC is actually going out and voting for people, you can't really blame them if Bernie loses to a smaller voting pool.

I will say there's a difference between the Biden camp convincing the other candidates to drop out by offering them something like a Secretary role, and the organisation in charge of setting up the election making them an offer they can't refuse to gracefully bow out.
The line can be quite thin, given that Biden is the establishment's candidate of choice, but there is a difference. I for one prefer to think positive.

I will say there's a difference between the Biden camp convincing the other candidates to drop out by offering them something like a Secretary role, and the organisation in charge of setting up the election making them an offer they can't refuse to gracefully bow out.
The line can be quite thin, given that Biden is the establishment's candidate of choice, but there is a difference. I for one prefer to think positive.
This is true.

I do not for an instant believe that Pete or Amy dropped out of their own volition without being promised something from the DNC in general or even Biden specifically. It made NO SENSE for them to do it when they did right before super Tuesday. I think the DNC is again showing their bias towards Business As Usual and fuck all that disagree or want something more.
Party elites don't want you to vote for Bernie Sanders. They made the same mistake in 2016
The article said:
The party elite did something similar in 2016, backing Hillary Clinton and dismissing Sanders, seemingly for the same reasons. And just look how things turned out.
--Patrick