Detective Comics is fucking awesome right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCM

Who? Johny Depp?

Cat said:
May check out later but I can agree with some of JCM's issues with American comics, though this is the wrong thread for it.

Batman Comics especially have a ridiculous history with crossovers. It was very common to have the next part of almost every story arc to be told in yet another Detective Batman: Gotham Legends of the Dark Bat Knights and Friends spin-off. I could have sworn DC said they would end the extra Bat series after RIP but why would they?
I cant say much for the past year and "New Batman" storyline, as I gave up on comcis after Civil War, but I must agree on the previous year.

On the opinion that 10 monthly comics are needed, I agree to disagree, I grew up during the best years of american comics, and never needed 10 books to understand what was going on with a character and his supporting cast. If you enjoy it, fine with me. :)

Detective Comics is smurfing awesome right now

Novel Series =/= Comic book series.

Where would you put Batwoman's solo stories, if I may ask? She has a different focus, supporting cast (who we're only just meeting), and rogue's gallery (a fledgling one, admittedly) than Batman and Robin. While I can see where an outsider to the American comic book scene might not get or see the desire/reason for four titles starring Batman himself per month, I can't see why Batwoman, Red Robin, The Question, Manhunter, and The Gotham City Sirens should be folded all into one book per month by being related in setting to Batman.

Additionally, you are applying a phenomenon that applies to a relative minority of characters published on a monthly basis. Hell, even Spider-Man only appears in two ongoings per month and the Superman Family of titles are related but not intrinsically so (IE, you can enjoy one without reading all of them). American comics are a different animal than those of most other nations, with large interconnected universes. We like it that way. Doesn't make us stupid. Asshole.

JCM said:
On the opinion that 10 monthly comics are needed, I agree to disagree, I grew up during the best years of american comics, and never needed 10 books to understand what was going on with a character and his supporting cast. If you enjoy it, fine with me. :)
1) Where the FUCK was this live and let live attitude this morning when you were calling people like me dumbfucks?! 2) You don't HAVE to read ALL the series to keep up with, to use the example that started this, Batman? Batwoman isn't even really a Batman supporting character! I'm not even entirely certain that she's met any member of the Bat-Family but Nightwing. And to keep up with Dick and Damien as the Dynmaic Duo, pick any one of the three core bat titles. Each has it's own, unique unto itself story. That's all you need.

C

Chronos[Ha-G]

Kissinger said:
what the fuck is anyone talking about i don't even know
Very badly, I want to contribute to the original discussion that was supposed to go on in here. Unfortunately...I haven't read the book in question. However, I will see if I can read it, now that you've mentioned it.

Chronos[Ha-G said:
]
Kissinger said:
what the smurf is anyone talking about i don't even know
Very badly, I want to contribute to the original discussion that was supposed to go on in here. Unfortunately...I haven't read the book in question. However, I will see if I can read it, now that you've mentioned it.
It does rock. Kissinger is right on the money.

Plus: The Question is the back-up feature!

Man, I haven't read the new Detective Stuff at all but holy fuck do I love Frank Quitely on Batman and Robin. He could draw Youngblood and I would buy it.

J

JCM

Dorko said:
Novel Series =/= Comic book series.

Where would I survive if publishers had to go back to newstands, instead of pretending an investor market still exists in comic stores that cant even get buy sellling just comics.
Again, every damn fucking industry in the world doesnt need ten titles for one character and his supporting cast.

American comics before the 90s and comic stores and "collectors", didnt need that shit, and variant covers and all.

Just because you bought some shitty propaganda to warrant the existence of something that was never needed, doesnt mean its needed.
Additionally, you are applying a phenomenon that applies to a relative minority of characters published on a monthly basis.
Which make up for more than 90% of total sales of your two top companies, which through barely-legal monopoly and killing off distributors kind to indepedents with an exclusive contract with Diamond.

Its not a minority, when the only pathetic comics to sell above 100,000 are basically Superman/Batman/Xmen/Wolverine/Spiderman, or something with the aforementioned in them. :smug:

A

Aisaku

Wasn't batman... dead?

Oh, wait he got better...

Moral of the story: Comics are products like any other the current supply of them is simply the response to the market's demands. The pissing contests between fans and detractors alike only fuel the interest in comics as a whole and thus keeping them alive. So no matter how you look at it, shock value stories are good in the bigwig's book regardless of their quality.

Actually, Bruce Wayne is still "dead" as far as everyone is concerned. That's long time Green Lantern villain Black Hand in that picture.

Dick Grayson has become the new Batman.

And JCM, if comic book publishers moved exclusively to news stands (which would hurt independents more than the the Big Two and drive sales even further into the realm of X-Men and Batman), I'd buy them there. And I'd obviously cut back on what I buy because there'd be fewer published monthly (I'd likely save no money, since I'd just buy TPBs and back issues...dear lord, Icon and Hardware are coolest things to come from 1993...aside from my sister). Personally, I enjoy my three Batman titles a month. Paul Dini, Grant Morrison, and Judd Winnick all have distinct writing styles with their own pros and cons. I *le gasp* ENJOY these stories. If Winnick starts to suck (which he very well might), I will drop "Batman". Red Robin is already on the bubble because I'm unsure of the new characterization they're doing...and dropping Red Robin will literally have no effect on the stories in ANYTHING else.

And I again point out that the various X-Titles have only two or three (out of literally twenty or more) overlapping characters, each Bat title is self contained, Spider-Man is the titular character of only ONE comic (albeit published thrice a month), and none of the Avengers teams overlap. In other words...while there are six bat books, you only have to read the one you like to enjoy it.

A

Aisaku

Dorko said:
Actually, Bruce Wayne is still "dead" as far as everyone is concerned. That's long time Green Lantern villain Black Hand in that picture.
Thank goodness it isn't Batman's mind in there, if it were the Black Lanterns would have a shot. You know, how Batman can defeat anything with enough prep time.

Dorko said:
Dick Grayson has become the new Batman. And Damien, Bruce and Talia Al Gul's all knowing punk kid is Robin.
Which, after reading the first few issues, I wholeheartedly approve. THIS is how you make big changes to the status quo. It's so well written and natural that I wish it could last.

Aisaku said:
Dorko said:
* Grayson has become the new Batman. And Damien, Bruce and Talia Al Gul's all knowing punk kid is Robin.
Which, after reading the first few issues, I wholeheartedly approve. THIS is how you make big changes to the status quo. It's so well written and natural that I wish it could last.
Oh sweet lord I agree. Wholeheartedly. I don't mind Bruce Wayne returning from the stone age, but give him Detective Comics and have him travel the world with Talia fighting the League of Assassins and the Club of Villains and whatever. Leave Dick Grayson alooone!

Or better, keep Bruce jumping through time Quantum Leap style (but with each life lasting a while) and having adventures that cement the DCU's history and the fact that no matter how bad it gets Bruce never quits... there's at least 10 years worth of content there. Prehistoric Bats -> Victorian Caped Crusader.

@Li3n said:
Or better, keep Bruce jumping through time Quantum Leap style (but with each life lasting a while) and having adventures that cement the DCU's history and the fact that no matter how bad it gets Bruce never quits... there's at least 10 years worth of content there. Prehistoric Bats -> Victorian Caped Crusader.
Oooooo, not a bad idea sir. It would result in more fan boy outrage, but could lead to some good stories. Maybe make Vandal Savage and Ra's Al Ghul his recurring foes throughout time. Maybe a guest app in Booster Gold telling Booster that he wasn't to see this through himself.

Well Morrison said something to that effect when talking about Batman "dying" in Final Crisis... the question is if they actually let him do it...

I enjoy the new batman and robin. HATE the art (this has been discussed), love the story. glad Morrison is back to writing a coherent story rather than something that made me feel I was missing entire pages between panels.

Haven't read Detective comics yet. Might try it because of Rucka, but I really hated the Batwoman character in 52. She was way overhyped (did you know she's a lesbian?), a bit of a mary sue (did you know she's a lesbian?) being a character plopped down into the universe who is already as rich if not richer that Bruce Wayne, So hot that Nightwing instantly forgot about his fiance (did you know she's a lesbian?), and is just as skilled as a member of the Bat-family despite the years of training and experience that they have (did you know she's a lesbian?). The worst part is getting called a bigot when you try and point out the characters absurdity.

I'm told she gets better after 52 and actually starts becoming a character, and with the Question backup its worth reading at least the first couple of issues.

Covar said:
I enjoy the new batman and robin. HATE the art (this has been discussed), love the story. glad Morrison is back to writing a coherent story rather than something that made me feel I was missing entire pages between panels.

Haven't read Detective comics yet. Might try it because of Rucka, but I really hated the Batwoman character in 52. She was way overhyped (did you know she's a lesbian?), a bit of a mary sue (did you know she's a lesbian?) being a character plopped down into the universe who is already as rich if not richer that Bruce Wayne, So hot that Nightwing instantly forgot about his fiance (did you know she's a lesbian?), and is just as skilled as a member of the Bat-family despite the years of training and experience that they have (did you know she's a lesbian?). The worst part is getting called a bigot when you try and point out the characters absurdity.

I'm told she gets better after 52 and actually starts becoming a character, and with the Question backup its worth reading at least the first couple of issues.
I get the same vibe about Rene Montoya's Question (did you hear she's a lesbian?) I was doing a little research on Vic's Question and heard he died of cancer. At least in the 80's he was killed by a pellet gun, but he got better.

Then I heard Detective Montoya got the job, I though great! to have a Latina as a tough as nails crime fighter. I really liked the character in Batman the Animated Series. Then they write her to be a Lesbian. That just seems to be the go to position for many of the new female characters over the past few years...

Covar said:

Man, I can't believe anyone could diss Quitely's art. The man is a God damn master.

sixpackshaker said:
Covar said:

I get the same vibe about Rene Montoya's Question (did you hear she's a lesbian?) I was doing a little research on Vic's Question and heard he died of cancer. At least in the 80's he was killed by a pellet gun, but he got better.

Then I heard Detective Montoya got the job, I though great! to have a Latina as a tough as nails crime fighter. I really liked the character in Batman the Animated Series. Then they write her to be a Lesbian. That just seems to be the go to position for many of the new female characters over the past few years...
Montoya gets more of a pass for me because she actually has more of a history as a character.

Also, Streets of Gotham needs more Bullock.

EVERY Gotham book needs more Bullock.

You know what would be awesome? A regular Bullock series, done by Darwyn Cooke. Imagine him doing Bullock in his detective kind of style of art like he did with Slam Bradley.

...I just want Darwyn Cooke to do more. :)

ThatNickGuy said:

You know what would be awesome? A regular Bullock series, done by Darwyn Cooke. Imagine him doing Bullock in his detective kind of style of art like he did with Slam Bradley.

I'd like to see a Lt. Gordon book done with the BA version of Gordon from Batman Year One.

J

JCM

Frankie said:
Man, I can't believe anyone could diss Quitely's art. The man is a God damn master.
This.

Shannow said:
JCM said:
Frankie said:
This.
Agreed.
I dunno, when I was younger I hated Quitly's artwork. The.....rough lines turned me off. Even now, it takes two pages or so for me to get over that and re-find the appreciation.

A

Alex B.

ThatNickGuy said:

Have you heard about the Parker graphic novels he's doing? That stuff looks absolutely amazing. [strike:1xg9w0gb]I'm not sure when the first one comes out.[/strike:1xg9w0gb] Wait, I think it might be out now!

Because I don't feel like typing out my explanation again.

Me in the Hey nerd said:
To clarify my stance on Quitely (after all i should provide more than just "its ugly"). I find his art to look "muddy" if that makes any sense. I think this stems from his inability to draw a steady line. I find the tiny swiggly lines kills any sense of texture in his art. On top of this I've yet to see him draw any person that would be a 5 or higher If I ran into them on the street. He made Emma Frost and Jean Grey look like ugly old hags when he was on New X-men. Which is actually a good lead in to my biggest issue with Quitely; his speed. I'm not saying he should be as fast an artist as Jack Kirby was, or even as fast as Mark Bagley (both of whom IMO put out better quality art), but the man can't even come close to a monthly schedule and yet continuously gets himself put on "monthly" titles.
Just want to add. if the man wasn't slow as molasses I think he would make a great layouts guy.

See, now I'm the opposite with Bagely. I fucking hate Bagely's art. I couldn't stand Ultimate Spider-Man mostly because of him.

fade

Staff member

Quitely is hit or miss. Sometimes his characters are nicely realistic with fat rolls in realistic places. Sometimes Robin looks like a monkey. With Robin there, he failed that lesson about age and number of lines on the face. His Lois Lane has eyes on her forehead. Most of his faces have that "squished down" quality about them. When he's good he's good. But his lack of anatomy and over hatching reminds me incredibly strongly of one Rob Liefield.

JCM said:
Again, every damn fucking industry in the world doesnt need ten titles for one character and his supporting cast.

Maaan when you exagerate this much you start to make no sense, you know?

First of all: what character has ten titles going on? No, wait. 5 titles? none? Maybe a couple (Superman?)?
So, the usual now is 2-3 instead of 1-2. Is that such a big deal??

Also, in the specific case of Batman your rant makes even less sense: The only proper batman titles are batman and batman and robin, which is not exaggerated at all. Red Robin is a spin off, and yes it has something to do with Batman, but well... Okay, I'll let this one go, maybe it is indeed unnecessary (but the story is pretty different to what's going on in the other titles, so I don't see why it should be so bad... it's all right if it ends up being a short series). And in the case of detective comics... Man! It doesn't have anything to do with the bat-family other to the name!! The character and story come from 52 and not any bat title.

Sooo... just try not to treat people like idiots, because it doesn't get your point across and sometimes you end up ridiculing yourself more than them.

Other than that, yes, we'll just agree to disagree.

YOU FOOL!!!! WE HAD JUST LULLED THE BEAST DOWN TO SLEEP!!!!! QUICK SOMEONE TRY AND START A DISCUSSION AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN GET IT ROLLING BEFORE ITS TO LATE!!!!!

So Legion of Super-heroes. I hope XS survives legion of three worlds (which has been all kinds of awesome). Archie Legion was the stuff that got me into LOSH (Legion Lost needs to be traded damn it) and I would hate to see that entire continuity to just disappear again.

Covar said:
legion of three worlds (which has been all kinds of awesome).
It's been awesome but Jesus Christ, it's taken FOREVER for it to come out. :devil:

A

Aisaku

fade said:
Quitely is hit or miss. Sometimes his characters are nicely realistic with fat rolls in realistic places. Sometimes Robin looks like a monkey. With Robin there, he failed that lesson about age and number of lines on the face. His Lois Lane has eyes on her forehead. Most of his faces have that \"squished down\" quality about them. When he's good he's good. But his lack of anatomy and over hatching reminds me incredibly strongly of one Rob Liefield.
When I saw that cover I immediately thought that robin looked like alfred e neuman. Fortunately the rest of the comic doesn't have this problem. Why did DC let this slip? I have no idea.

are you kidding? The very first picture you see of Robin inside the book makes him look like a 70 year old midget. DC lets that stuff slip because its Quitely.

Also I'm pissed with the lateness of Legion of 3 Worlds. I know Perez is capable of a monthly book. I'm also saddened by the complete lack of attention and love that the book had/has been given by Didio and the marketing people at DC.

A

Aisaku

Rechecked... I guess he does look out of proportion, I thought that was just his style... but then in the next page he looks normal almost like a standard robin way back. There's something more disturbing about that picture though, neither wear seatbelts or any other protection gear... are they magnetically fixed to the seats or something?

J

JCM

tegid said:
JCM said:
Maaan when we fanboy idiots defend DC whoring 10 bat titles and Marvel shoving wolverine in another 10 this much you start to make no sense, you know?
:bush:
tegid said:
First of all: what character has ten titles going on? No, wait. 5 titles? none? Maybe a couple (Superman?)?
So, the usual now is 2-3 instead of 1-2. Is that such a big deal??
How many fucking bat appearances, and bat-books do you have a month? Talk about fanservice to :pud: fanboys.

But hey, one must read Hogwarts adventures, Magic comics, Potter girl, the Slytheen syrens, The Wand (formerly known as potter boy), The Wand´s group the teenage warlocks and also who can forget Potterman/Superman and the Wizard league.

Also, in the specific case of Potter your rant makes even less sense: The only proper Potter titles are Harry Potter and Batman Potter and Snape, which is not exaggerated at all. Old Bumbledore is a spin off, and yes it has something to do with Potter, but well... Okay, I'll let this one go, maybe it is indeed unnecessary (but the story is pretty different to what's going on in the other titles, so I don't see why it should be so bad... it's all right if it ends up being a short series). And in the case of Magic comics... Man! It doesn't have anything to do with the Potter-family other to the name!! The character and story come from the issues of Harry potter and not any bat title.
See how laughable it is when I apply the comicbook guy´s arguement to any established brand?

Not to mention you leave out books that spun off Batman, like books with previous Robins, Batgirl, villains now becoming "sirens", spin-offs, crossovers and team books with the character, heck, to have every Batman appearance and supporting character, I can bet you´d need at least 10-20 comics a month.

But hey, of course Snape´s old ex-girlfirend who now is Magic girl and is being done by that "hot writer/artist" team!!

Agree to disagree, and laugh at how laughable it is for a company to spend the past ten years depending 90% on grown men going to a comic store (which was created because of the investor market) buying spinoffs.

Be back to apply lame defenses to other media "Hey, we need Dragonball adventures, Gokuboy, Goku Girls, the Sayan Syrens, et al...." to show the ridiculousness of american comics.

My advice, go buy a graphic novel. Its where good stuff is, minus the fluff for fanboys.

L

Le Quack

Is it so much to wish for a DC universe that only has batman and batman villians?

J

JCM

I still want the Davinci Crisis
"Davinci crisis"?

Robert Langdon from Reality-5 has to discover a way to stop Robert Langdon Prime from killing Sherlock Holmes, Passepartout´s clone, and Hercule Poirot, who returned to life after Dark Miss Marple ripped across the dimensional pages of detective reality. (All its effects so intelligently spread accross all "Davinci Crisis tie-ins; Detective League, Mike Hammer, Mike Hammer Corps, Langdon and Jesus girl, Langdon Man of symbols, Sam Spade, P.I. comics, the New Hardy Boys and the Hardy Boys:Classified).

I heard it has 5 variant covers, and if you buy them all and put them upside down side-by-side, it´ll show a mysterious figure in the background who seems to be NancyJr Dakkar, the daughter of Nancy Drew and Captain Nemo, who was killed by Langdon and Gandalf.

Dont forget, its being written by that new hot teen writer Stephenie Meyer, with art by Harry Potter´s own Mary GrandPré, who now have signed on to head the Detective League books and the Dr Jekyll vs Marley special.
-- Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:36 am --

Frankie said:
See, now I'm the opposite with Bagely. I fucking hate Bagely's art. I couldn't stand Ultimate Spider-Man mostly because of him.
He´s good at posing Spiderman and and twsiting bodies, but somehow his faces seem they are drawn by an intern.

Status
Not open for further replies.