Detective Comics is fucking awesome right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detective Comics is smurfing awesome right now

I have figured out why JCM is right and we're all wrong: we like something he doesn't! It doesn't matter what we say, what flaws we point out in his arguments, or even that certain aspects of this are a matter of opinion...he doesn't like it, we do, ergo we're wrong.

And he's right. We don't need separate books for Batwoman, Red Robin, and Batman. It doesn't matter that their stories barely intersect at all...they all share a setting! And why the fuck couldn't that hack J.K. Rowling fit the "Beedle The Bard" story into the normal Harry Potter books? Or the Quidditch Handbook and Creature Encyclopedia spin-offs? And why couldn't that Tolkien just finish the Ring's story in "The Hobbit"? And really, shouldn't everything from "Superman The Animated Series" through "Justice League Unlimited" have been told as a part of "Batman: The Animated Series"? Why did we seven different shows to tell the stories of one group of characters? It doesn't matter that these stories have little to do with each other. They all need to vie for time in one series. Because that's all a fictional universe deserves. One. Series. :eyeroll:

And just to make things easy for Mr. M:

"Ignorant fan boy whines because I'm right and he's not"

Can we ban JCM from any comics discussion. He takes any simple conversation we have about comics and twists it into his own personal vendetta against american comics.

Bowielee said:
Can we ban JCM from any comics discussion. He takes any simple conversation we have about comics and twists it into his own personal vendetta against american comics.

JCM?

J

JCM

Shegokigo said:
Which one?

V league with Earth 5-V who has been retconned to be F, the V and SuperA, R (where the ex-Vboy now has to handle being the new V), Alphabet comics starring Y, Vgirl, the London syrens, or the All Star V?

Bowielee said:

Bohooo JCM comics discussion is making fun of us.
Guess youre new here, Im as active as anyone in comics, heck I was reading them while you were still pooping in your diapers, but the truth is that the direct market is 90%old IPs and the same heroes are the only way they can survive.

Keyword, direct market, that one for investors, now man-babies, not the graphic novel market.
Go buy a good graphic novel.

I said, this is my opinion on the direct market and its man-babies and old IPs, I agree to disagree, you get your Batman jammies in a twist and insist on trying to prove the BS that DC and Marvel arent whoring, well, be prepared to prove it, heck sales figures and comparisons to other industries have all been posted.

Not that I expect anyone to be able to say anything but the equivalent of "Son Gohan, Bulma and the alternate earth son Goku MUST have their own stories, theres so many to be told" or do like the other nerd and cry "JCM doesnt like Dragonball!"
some idiot who cant read sales figures and see that only american comics survive mainly on old IP said:
And he's right. We don't need separate books for Batwoman, Red Robin, and Batman. It doesn't matter that their stories barely intersect at all...they all share a setting! And why the fuck couldn't that hack J.K. Rowling fit the \"Beedle The Bard\" story into the normal Harry Potter books?

Yes, I was too busy smoking old Liefeld comics to notice that 90% of books sold are new IP, while the opposite is hapening in comics.
You forgot All Star Harry Potter, shadow of the wand, Wizard stories, Pottergirl, Hogwarts syrens and that crossover with Twilight.

Sorry kid, If you had been at school instead of the comic shop, you´d see that other media do the same, but what american comics are special at, is that 90% of the market and sales is the same old shit.

Grow up manbaby, wanna compare 7 harry potter books, two small books and one guide to-

Batman -back to monthly
Detective -back to monthly
Batman and Robin - New monthly
Red Robin - New Monthly
Batman Streets of Gotham -New Monthly
Gotham City Sirens (featuring Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn -New Monthly
Batman Confidential - Ongoing
Batgirl - New Monthly
Azrael - New Monthly
Outsiders with Alfred
Superman/Batman

Plus the several appearances he and his supporting cast in several comics?
Laughable comparison. Comics were in every drugstore, newstand and convenience store. Now most only make it to the comic store, which Chuck Rozanski has published the following estimates(http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg36.html)

Number of comics shops worldwide, 1992: 11,000
Number of comics shops out of business, 1993-99: 4,000
Now? I can easily bet we´re down by another thousand. But hey, enjoy yet another "bat title" from that "hot writer", its the nerds that are making DC buy it all

interview with Denny ONeil said:
http://www.comicsbulletin.com/features/96718680087355.htm
LDI: The number of Bat-books available to readers has skyrocketed in the past decade. At present, I believe we stand at twelve monthlies (including the two animated-style titles), with a Harley Quinn title on the horizon. With prices substantially increasing in the past five years alone, I know of several readers who've had to drop certain titles, merely because they can't afford to keep up with them anymore. Is the market now oversaturated with Bat-related tales? Can too many titles be a bad thing for both the consumer and DC?

DO’N: When people stop buying the Battitles, we'll know there are too many. Sure, I worry about saturating the market, but there are no signs that we have, yet. Two words: X-Men
-:smug:

J

JCM

Lets just hope the conversation gets back to Quitely´s art, instead of the comic book nerds screaming in the face of a shrinking industry that one MUST have a Bat spinoff book, and round and round we´ll go as I invent spinoffs for every other media and comic industry that *GASP!* gets tens of millions of sales because they can do something other than yet another batbook.

You ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, there a shit ton of cultural factors causing the shrinking of the comic book industry? I can think of three major ones:

1) Kids today, generally, don't like to read. They pretty much learn to read...then only do it when forced.

2) The vast majority of comic books today (and for the past 20-30 years) are geared at adult audiences. Which leads us to...

3) Comic books are considered by a VAST majority of adults to be "kid stuff" or stuff for nerds only. The ticket sales of films like Iron Man and The Dark Knight show that these "old IPs" that "only manbabys care about" can still draw millions of people to them...just not the comic book.

Your point is also kind of strange to me...you say that the only things keeping the American book industry alive are the "same old IPs". And you say that they need to stop publishing them so that originality can flourish. But...if you stop publishing the only thing keeping it alive, wouldn't that, y'know, kinda kill it? Stuff like "V For Vendetta", "Watchmen", "Top 10", "Invincible", "The Walking Dead", "Hellboy", and all the other amazing graphic novels and ongoing series' that do come up with new characters and are "original" are great but they can not even approach the numbers and popularity among the public at large of the "same old IPs".

Also, and this going to be dismissed as anecdotal or called a lie, I happen to have been friends with a guy named Val Staples. He owns the website He-Man.org, is a comic book colorist, and for a short time he was part owner of a comic book company called "MV Creations". They published several series, including a tie into the new Masters Of The Universe cartoon. When he was asked why the didn't try selling the comic at newsstands, drug stores, grocery stores, and the like (which would certainly seem like where their target audience would find it) he replied that comic book companies were ceasing that practice because of the comic sent to those stores were eventually returned unsold.

Americans are just moving away from comic books. It's a shame. But it's not because there are too many Batman comics published per month.

J

JCM

Dorko said:
You ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, there a shit ton of cultural factors causing the shrinking of the comic book industry? I can think of three major ones:

1) Kids today, generally, don't like to read. They pretty much learn to read...then only do it when forced.

2) The vast majority of comic books today (and for the past 20-30 years) are geared at adult audiences. Which leads us to...

3) Comic books are considered by a VAST majority of adults to be "kid stuff" or stuff for nerds only. The ticket sales of films like Iron Man and The Dark Knight show that these "old IPs" that "only manbabys care about" can still draw millions of people to them...just not the comic book.
1)BS. Harry Potter and Twilight sales show that teenagers may read, and if you havent seen sales figures posted, Book, Manga, French BD and Manhua sales are doing just fine. Even american graphic novels sales are increasing. Its just the US direct comic (aka mostly superhero from big two) that is shrinking.

2)Which sell well NOT in the comic store, but as graphic novels in bookstores, where Marvel and DC cant choke them out.

3)Comic book store comics and superhero comics are considered so, graphic novels are getting more and more respect. Oh, and we didnt have 5 Batman movies a year, heck, I loved Batman when it was just 2 monthlies in the newstand.
Dorko said:
But it's not because there are too many Batman comics published per month.
Not Batman´s , but Dc and Marvel.

You youngsters forget easily (or werent alive) when Marvel and DC pulled out from the newstands, which killed comic orders, then the two getting behind Diamond exclusively killed other distributors, then with the investor crash, Marvel and DC´s sales plummeted and most comic stores went out of business. Thankfully, the graphic novels managed to get in bookstores due to the whole investor market bringing comics into the highlights, and are here to stay.

The graphic novel market wasnt even 1% during the 90s, now its almost half of overall american comic sales. American comics arent dying. Theyre merely moving away from superman and the comic store, to the bookstore along with every book. Feel free to read the sales figures (specially the direct market vs graphic novels) in the previous pages and in the Xmen pages.

Oh, and Quitely rocks.

JCM said:
Lets just hope the conversation gets back to Quitely´s art, instead of the comic book nerds screaming in the face of a shrinking industry that one MUST have a Bat spinoff book, and round and round we´ll go as I invent spinoffs for every other media and comic industry that *GASP!* gets tens of millions of sales because they can do something other than yet another batbook.
PST, you're the one who derailed the thread, assmaster.

figmentPez

Staff member
Someone should write a novel where Robert Heinlein's characters all cross-over with each other, and then visit the land of Oz... Oh wait, Heinlein already did.

Or maybe kill off a famous literary character, and then bring him back after the fans demand that more novels be written... Oh, wait, that happened to Sherlock Holmes.

We'll also not mention the numerous cross-overs between the Hardy Boys and Tom Swift, or the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.

Issac Asimov had his Robot novels cross-over with his Foundation novels, if I'm not mistaken.

Some of these comic cliches you think literature is immune to are more common than you seem to think.

figmentPez said:
Someone should write a novel where Robert Heinlein's characters all cross-over with each other, and then visit the land of Oz... Oh wait, Heinlein already did.

Or maybe kill off a famous literary character, and then bring him back after the fans demand that more novels be written... Oh, wait, that happened to Sherlock Holmes.

We'll also not mention the numerous cross-overs between the Hardy Boys and Tom Swift, or the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew.

Issac Asimov had his Robot novels cross-over with his Foundation novels, if I'm not mistaken.

Some of these comic cliches you think literature is immune to are more common than you seem to think.
Or the flowchart needed to understand the Discworld books. Seriously, someone posted an actual flowchart once and just looking at it scared me enough to never want to check them out.

ThatNickGuy said:
figmentPez said:

Or the flowchart needed to understand the Discworld books. Seriously, someone posted an actual flowchart once and just looking at it scared me enough to never want to check them out.
I hate people with flowcharts... they keep ruining everybody's fun with data!

J

JCM

I hate flowcharts.

Didnt we have that Xmen relationship flowchart as well?

ThatNickGuy said:
figmentPez said:

Except as was said like fifty times in the thread, you don't need the flowchart and really can read them in any order. The books are still very enjoyable on their own.

J

JCM

CynicismKills said:
ThatNickGuy said:
figmentPez said:

Except as was said like fifty times in the thread, you don't need the flowchart and really can read them in any order. The books are still very enjoyable on their own.
Yeah, I forgot that in the 2000s even Marvel and DC couldnt keep track of continuity, and the use of referance to last encounters and that little caption below showing the issue of that encounter was abolished.

After all, with 9 spin-offs, one must be an idiot if he expects any continuity.

JCM said:
CynicismKills said:
ThatNickGuy said:
figmentPez said:

Yeah, I forgot that in the 2000s even Marvel and DC couldnt keep track of continuity, and the use of referance to last encounters and that little caption below showing the issue of that encounter was abolished.

After all, with 9 spin-offs, one must be an idiot if he expects any continuity.
WTF? What has Marvel to do with the fucking DISCWORLD which isn't at all complicated to follow?! Especially since the books are mostly independent and can be enjoyed on their own...

Wait, I'll save you the work:

NERDRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE :Leyla:

(This way you don't need to change my post in quotes, just quote the part you are interested in!)

Also, yeah, flowcharts should be abolished. Most times they actually make things more complicated rather than simplifying them.

tegid said:
WTF? What has Marvel to do with the smurfing DISCWORLD which isn't at all complicated to follow?! Especially since the books are mostly independent and can be enjoyed on their own...

Wait, I'll save you the work:

NERDRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE :Leyla:

(This way you don't need to change my post in quotes, just quote the part you are interested in!)

Also, yeah, flowcharts should be abolished. Most times they actually make things more complicated rather than simplifying them.
Resistance is futile. All threads shall be assimilated to feed JCM's dislike of american comic books.

J

JCM

Bowielee said:
Resistance is futile. All threads shall be assimilated to feed JCM's dislike of american comic book shops and kids who didnt grow up.
Only when the comic fans cant see reality, that their purchasing the same tired IP is basically what turned the monthly comic into THE ONLY media industry that depends 90% on old IP.

I'd post the lists again, as manbabies think that "hating Marvel/DC"=hating all anerican comics, but then since the comic book store is dying out, one day they'll have to go to a bookstore and buy a graphic novel, and join in where american comics shine and dont depend on 12 Batbooks.

tegid said:
NERDRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
Which one?
NerdrageMan,
Nerdrage comics,
NerdrageMan and Manboobin,
Red Manboobin,
NerdrageMan Streets of Nerdcity,
Nerd City Sirens,
NerdrageMan Confidential,
NerdrageGirl,
Nerdrazrael,
Outsiders with Nerdralfred,
Supernerd/NerdrageMan,
or the Mantitus League, which Nerdrageus is a member?

Status
Not open for further replies.