Export thread

Did someone order tacos?

Calleja

Calleja

Cause I have an order of them made like 5 years ago ready.

How's everyone!?

phil

phil

Well, hungry for tacos now.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Do they have cheddar cheese on them?

Celt Z

Celt Z

On Taco Tuesday, no less!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Cause I have an order of them made like 5 years ago ready.

How's everyone!?
OMG! I was just thinking about you today. How the hell are ya?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Buenos tardes! Como estás?
Having exhausted about 50% of my Spanish, happy to see you :)

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Great to see your name pop up! What’s up mi amigo?

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope you didn't want chocolate ones.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fulfill all our wishes with taco flavored kisses?

Denbrought

Denbrought

Yo dawg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Are we West of Acapulco?

bhamv3

bhamv3

SUSAN!

Dave

Dave

@Calleja you old fart! How ya been? I see you on Steam every once in a while and am always tempted to say yo but I never do.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ooo! I think I just scared myself.

--Patrick

phil

phil

He's gone above and beyond I'm showing his disdain for this in the past.

bhamv3

bhamv3

My apologies.

CALLEJA!

drifter

drifter

:waves:

General Specific

General Specific

Hey friend! Welcome back!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

First Mathias comes back, now Calleja. What's with these returns? Who's next? Shego? Gusto? Shannow? Espy? Allen Who is Quiet?

Bubble181

Bubble181

First Mathias comes back, now Calleja. What's with these returns? Who's next? Shego? Gusto? Shannow? Espy? Allen Who is Quiet?
JCM? Oh wait, he never left.

Zappit

Zappit

Calleja- now there’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time...

MindDetective

MindDetective

"..now there's a sausage I haven't heard in a long time."

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

"Maclunkey*"

*maclunkey means sausage

Krisken

Krisken

Yo.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Here's the Taco I ordered

Calleja

Calleja

THERE'S NOTHING WEST OF ACAPULCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, so many people from pre-HF days still around, damn!

I have been thinking of you guys a lot lately too, the other day my Firefox suggested the URL and, even weirder, the very next day we were moving stuff around the apartment and I found an old notebook where I doodled the face and as I type this I decided to upload a picture of it:
20220727_190326[1].jpg

And I think of North_Ranger a lot too, I'm glad to see some threads he started still hanging alive.

I've been good this past few years, it's going to be 10 years living in Mexico City with the concubine after 11 years together which is fucking crazy. Had a nice cushy job doing Quality Assurance for Ogilvy & Mather Mexico (in case anyone knows about big marketing agencies), lost that job in November 2019, did my third 48 Hours Film Project that same month and went on to win the whole goddamn thing (Mexico City) and got to go to Amsterdam to compete with the rest of the city winners from around the world (Paris' entry was *CRAZY*, they won)... won nothing, but that was March 2020. Literally days after I landed the world shut down.

So I've spent almost 2 years in the apartment, doing remote work, just got a full time job doing QA remotely aaaand... I guess that's it.

Oh we adopted a puppy a year ago and the fucker is the love of my life now. His name is Maxwell F. Calleja but we just call him Max. The F stands for "fucking demon".

So what's new around here? I just gotta ask about the drama I clearly missed.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Here's the Taco I ordered

As someone that's still on a diet... I fucking would. I so would.

Calleja

Calleja

If the "tortilla" is described as a "shell", you're just eating a crooked tostada, goddamit.

But I can't complain about the heresies they call "taco" these days. I've grown. Evolved. We put avocado on pizza down here. And jalapeño on sushi.

Just don't come at me with a yellow liquid chemical that's somewhat cheese-like and use the spanish word for cheese to create a whole industry around it. That's just wrong.

GasBandit

GasBandit

If the "tortilla" is described as a "shell", you're just eating a crooked tostada, goddamit.

But I can't complain about the heresies they call "taco" these days. I've grown. Evolved. We put avocado on pizza down here. And jalapeño on sushi.

Just don't come at me with a yellow liquid chemical that's somewhat cheese-like and use the spanish word for cheese to create a whole industry around it. That's just wrong.
To this day, restaurants still charge more for "queso" than cheese.

Calleja

Calleja

To this day, restaurants still charge more for "queso" than cheese.
And I've seen "queso blanco" starting to pop up like a "fancier" queso...

THAT JUST MEANS "WHITE CHEESE"!!

How you've been, Gas? Still on radio?

(goddamn the new avatars are throwing me off)

GasBandit

GasBandit

And I've seen "queso blanco" starting to pop up like a "fancier" queso...

THAT JUST MEANS "WHITE CHEESE"!!

How you've been, Gas? Still on radio?

(goddamn the new avatars are throwing me off)
Not any more. In 2019 I changed jobs. I program A/V automation and control now.

Oh and here's something that'll bake your noodle -
Emrys and I are a thing now.

Calleja

Calleja

Not any more. In 2019 I changed jobs. I program A/V automation and control now.

Oh and here's something that'll bake your noodle -
Emrys and I are a thing now.
Holy shit, that's noodle bakin' indeed!! Are you both in Texas?

Is this the first intra-HF romance that begun post-HF??

Are there... are there Gas Weasels running around the place now?

General Specific

General Specific

So what's new around here? I just gotta ask about the drama I clearly missed.
Oh, not much, really

Calleja

Calleja

Just read the whole thread, glad to see you so happy and picturey! You were always just the General to me so I don't think I'll have a hard time with the pronoun change anyway :D

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Lets see...let me summarize my little world.
December 2017, wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, February 2018 2nd opinion at MD Anderson in Houston, late February stated Chemo on a clinical trial, finished Chemo in late July, removal of left breast in August, she spent a little over a month in Houston in September/October for radiation treatments twice a day. Bought a house in December, moved during week between Christmas and New Year. 2019 went well, ended the year with a celebration trip to Walt Disney World and got to meet @Celt Z and Little Z. World turned upside down in March 2020, wife had reconstructive breast surgery in May, October got a rescue Husky/Border Collie from my daughter in Missouri met her in Oklahoma City in an ice storm to get her, Bed Bath & Beyond job ended in December due to closing my store. 2021 moved our daughter back to Texas from Missouri in a snow storm, February Texas froze over for a few days, started working with my father in law doing electrical water system controls for small towns in the area, and had covid in August. 2022 so far has my wife having her last corrective surgery for her breasts, getting to meet @Tinwhistler, and the hottest driest summer in 11-12 years. Loving life, having fun where we can and doing what we want to do.

PatrThom

PatrThom

(in case anyone knows about big marketing agencies)
Yes, I used to date someone who worked for O&M NYC when I was still living in NJ.

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

Glad to see you're doing well, Calleja.

I'm good, vacation to Punta Cana in 2 weeks, at good job for 7 years, wife is kicking ass at hers and is finally appreciated. Pandemic has been weirdly good for us.

Zappit

Zappit

The last few years...okay...

I ended Supervillainous in 2019 - 624 comics and a fully completed webcomic with a complete webcomic.

Bought a new car - my first brand new car - in early 2020. Then I got transferred to a new position five minutes from home. Then the world shut down. Two years alter and I haven’t even put 1,500 miles on it yet.

The kidneys finally failed in early 2021. Won an award at work and then started dialysis on an emergency basis a few weeks later - my creatinine was 14.9 and jumped up five points the month before. For reference, a creatinine level of 20 is irreversible and fatal.

I was on PD dialysis for almost six months. That is a kind where they pump medicinal fluid into your perineum. I was carrying two liters of fluid inside me for most of the day. It was painful. It was uncomfortable. It was hell.

Then I got a new kidney last October. My mother was my donor, and they found breast cancer during her screening. It was very early and she’s in the clear, which allowed her to still donate.

Had some rejection complications that required getting a chest catheter that ran into my neck. It was used to cycle out my blood and remove rejection antibodies. It worked. They are under control and on pace to hopefully just vanish for good.

Started a new webcomic - Huzzah! - and I’m enjoying doing that.

Work tried to fire me twice after getting the transplant - clearly medical discrimination - and I’m in the process of moving to a new job.

Got a girlfriend. She’s brilliant, kind, pretty, and I’m crazy about her.

Calleja

Calleja

I'm so glad you guys are (mostly, damn some scares there) ok, and that this little community has held strong for so freaking long. I joined 14 years ago, that's literally over a third of my life. (Actually I think it's 37% cause I'm 37, that's funny).

I've been lurking and posting here and there and the new avatars really throw me off but there were also some user changes? steinman is strawman but he's not around much anymore? I know he and I bumped heads last time I was around here but that still surprised me.

Who else changed their name!?

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm so glad you guys are (mostly, damn some scares there) ok, and that this little community has held strong for so freaking long. I joined 14 years ago, that's literally over a third of my life. (Actually I think it's 37% cause I'm 37, that's funny).

I've been lurking and posting here and there and the new avatars really throw me off but there were also some user changes? steinman is strawman but he's not around much anymore? I know he and I bumped heads last time I was around here but that still surprised me.

Who else changed their name!?
Well, I'm JCM.

Calleja

Calleja

Well, I'm JCM.
MY NAME IS NOT PRONOUNCED CASHEJA, YOU BRAZILIAN FUCK!!

I mean HEY BUBS!

Bubble181

Bubble181

MY NAME IS NOT PRONOUNCED CASHEJA, YOU BRAZILIAN FUCK!!

I mean HEY BUBS!
We all know it's pronpounced Call-eh-ya for the Americano's. :p

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Really? It's always been cal-lay-HA! in my mind. Or 42 sometimes.

Calleja

Calleja

Dammit Hucgulnss (that's how I pronounce your name), It's pronounced "Cah-yeh-ha", the LL sounds like a non-vowel Y as in Yard.

But I'm thinking of changing my username to what I'm using recently in most games and Twitch when I streamed last year.

See, I got really really into mechanical keyboards. As in I bought a soldering iron and started buiding them from scratch for friends. Collecting switches and keycaps.

The word for keyboard in spanish is "teclado". My last name is Calleja.

So I've become.. TECLALLEJA

That's easier to pronounce, right!?!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm from Texas. I know how it's pronounced lol

Calleja

Calleja

I've been to Texas, tin.

It is NOT a given. In fact the most mangled pronunciation I've heard was in the Dallas airport where the TSA agent read my passport as "collegiate".

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ooh! Cah Yee Ha! Like a pair of handsome moonshiners and their drop dead gorgeous cousin outwitting Southern Sherrifs!

Calleja

Calleja

Ooh! Cah Yee Ha! Like a pair of handsome moonshiners and their drop dead gorgeous cousin outwitting Southern Sherrifs!
That's... actually closer haha.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wait wait wait.

It's not pronounced Cal-eh-jah?

Everything I thought I knew was a lie! :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I've been to Texas, tin.

It is NOT a given. In fact the most mangled pronunciation I've heard was in the Dallas airport where the TSA agent read my passport as "collegiate".
You should be happy that they could read at all. :D

Calleja

Calleja

Wait wait wait.

It's not pronounced Cal-eh-jah?

Everything I thought I knew was a lie! :p
NICK CAM AHN MAHN NOT YOU TOO

But I guess it's expected in this weird language where pronunciation and spelling are unrelated and people can't even agree on if it's jiff or giff (fun fact, spanish dictionaries don't have pronunciation guides BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS SAID HOW IT'S SPELLED)

I'm like 96.5% certain I even uploaded an audio file of me pronouncing it because everyone was just too confused by that LL sound (right around the time JCM insisted I was prononuncing my own name wrong because he had an argentinian friend who told him)

I'm really curious how "Teclalleja" would be parsed by americans actually.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Tecla-yay-ha

Bubble181

Bubble181

To be fair, I think most of us do know how it's supposed to be pronounced and are just yanking your chain.
Having said that, it's clearly techno-cauliflower with the F silent, right?

Calleja

Calleja

Tecla-yay-ha
That's close, but the middle syllable doesn't end in "y" too, it's just ye-, closer to the first syllable in "generous" (short e is how it's called I think)

Tecla-yeh-ha

To be fair, I think most of us do know how it's supposed to be pronounced and are just yanking your chain.
Having said that, it's clearly techno-cauliflower with the F silent, right?
I'll show ya a silent F :mad:

Funny thing is english speakers pronounce my first name with an F weird too, Fernando. THERE'S NO "OUGH" AT THE END DAMMIT, IT DOESN'T RHYME WITH DOUGH

I blame Abba.

MindDetective

MindDetective

1659036078261.png

Post automatically merged:

The blue planes indicate the "bread" on the food, btw

Calleja

Calleja

A real taco starts out at what the graphic calls "toast" on the plate and becomes what's called "Taco" in the chart ONLY WHEN HELD.

See, tortillas are FLEXIBLE and BEND. They can be rolled into what you call taquitos straight from the comal that makes them.

They do NOT crunch. They do NOT break.

Tostadas do, though.

Bubble181

Bubble181

A hot dog is a taco.
Practically every pie is a quiche.
Most meat pies are calzones.
A Big Mac (the real ones, with a slice of bread in the middle) is a cake.
Lots of types of pastry are suddenly sushi.

Myeah, I've seen the image before, and I'm still not impressed :-P

blotsfan

blotsfan

What’s your opinion on taco holders?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

20220728_163823.jpg

Says taco on the box, so is taco!

GasBandit

GasBandit

The chart is missing cobbler, where the top square is the only one in blue.

Dave

Dave

A real taco starts out at what the graphic calls "toast" on the plate and becomes what's called "Taco" in the chart ONLY WHEN HELD.

See, tortillas are FLEXIBLE and BEND. They can be rolled into what you call taquitos straight from the comal that makes them.

They do NOT crunch. They do NOT break.

Tostadas do, though.

In the end, though, it's basically the same ingredients arranged in slightly different ways with the wrapping/food holder of choice being floppy or crispy.

Calleja

Calleja

In the end, though, it's basically the same ingredients arranged in slightly different ways with the wrapping/food holder of choice being floppy or crispy.

Of course, but the arrangement is literally one of the most important things in food definition. This is getting into "hot dog is a sandwich" (great podcast) territory, but 99% of mexican food is just corn in different configurations, doesn't mean a tostada is the same as a tortilla.

Or are you gonna tell me a New Yorker isn't gonna spit in my face if I tell him Chicago style pizza is the same as new york pizza, just thicker?

Far

Far

Not this New Yorker. Full loogie for that one.

Calleja

Calleja

What I learned recently is that the most egregious thing about pizza in Chicago is not the deep dish.... people from Chicago don't eat deep dish on a regular basis, it's more of a tourist or special occasion thing.

But what they DO eat regularly, like when they order a pizza to their home, is they're usually CUT IN SQUARES NOT TRIANGLES

LIKE IT'S A KIDS' BIRTHDAY PARTY OR SOMETHING

THE CRUST TO CHEESE RATIO IS ALL FUCKED IN CHICAGO, ALL THE TIME, FOR EVERYONE, NO WONDER IT'S INFAMOUS FOR VIOLENCE EVERYONE IS FIGHTING OVER THE BEST PIZZA SQUARE
1659060301612.png

Frank

Frank

It will probably stick with me forever that Allen's final posts were getting angry at criticisms towards Kurtz's laziness. His last post was literally calling me stupid.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It will probably stick with me forever that Allen's final posts were getting angry at criticisms towards Kurtz's laziness. His last post was literally calling me stupid.

Wow. Flipping out, insulting, and rage quitting over a comic strip.

I'd say that's kinda out of line, but I'd be a hypocrite since I've lashed out over dumb shit, too. Usually because of various unrelated stressors going on in my life at the time.

Calleja

Calleja

Allen who is Quiet had a penguin avatar, right?

I'M SORRY MY MEMORY IS VISUAL AND I REMEMBER MOST OF YOU BY THE CLASSIC AVATARS, GAS BANDIT NOT BEING A CAN OF BEAN IS STILL WEIRD TO ME

Who else left the forum? is HowDroll still around? What about moz? I know ZenMonkey isn't, but I lost her handle on twitter, is she ok these days?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Allen who is Quiet had a penguin avatar, right?

I'M SORRY MY MEMORY IS VISUAL AND I REMEMBER MOST OF YOU BY THE CLASSIC AVATARS, GAS BANDIT NOT BEING A CAN OF BEAN IS STILL WEIRD TO ME

Who else left the forum? is HowDroll still around? What about moz? I know ZenMonkey isn't, but I lost her handle on twitter, is she ok these days?
I switched avatars years before you left. I retired the can of beans in early 2014 when I started producing youtube videos that people actually watched.

The current avatar was drawn by Celt Z and was inspired by some HF gaming night shenanigans.

HowDroll and ZenMonkey haven't been around in a long time unfortunately. A lot of people drifted away over the years. Every few years someone pops in to say hi, but they seldom stay.

Calleja

Calleja

I switched avatars years before you left.
That's not quite true, even though I had a couple of pop-ins after, I left as a regular poster in 2013, still in can-era.

evilmike

evilmike

Of course, but the arrangement is literally one of the most important things in food definition. This is getting into "hot dog is a sandwich" (great podcast) territory, but 99% of mexican food is just corn in different configurations, doesn't mean a tostada is the same as a tortilla.

Or are you gonna tell me a New Yorker isn't gonna spit in my face if I tell him Chicago style pizza is the same as new york pizza, just thicker?
So, you're basically saying a hot dog is a taco? :)

figmentPez

figmentPez

Hey, you're the one who is saying that an American-style fried taco shell is the same thing as a tostada, despite the shapes being radically different.

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's easier to pronounce, right!?!
It's easier than "Tecladora the Explora," I suppose.
Besides, didn't we already have a thread on this?

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

HowDroll is married and living the life in Chicago. She’s exceedingly happy and it’s great to see.

blotsfan

blotsfan

What I learned recently is that the most egregious thing about pizza in Chicago is not the deep dish.... people from Chicago don't eat deep dish on a regular basis, it's more of a tourist or special occasion thing.

But what they DO eat regularly, like when they order a pizza to their home, is they're usually CUT IN SQUARES NOT TRIANGLES

LIKE IT'S A KIDS' BIRTHDAY PARTY OR SOMETHING

THE CRUST TO CHEESE RATIO IS ALL FUCKED IN CHICAGO, ALL THE TIME, FOR EVERYONE, NO WONDER IT'S INFAMOUS FOR VIOLENCE EVERYONE IS FIGHTING OVER THE BEST PIZZA SQUARE
View attachment 42134
Oh yeah Chicagoans love to bring up how deep dish isn’t that common and real chicago style pizza is tavern style. When I was visiting my uncle there he said we were having Chicago pizza for dinner and that’s what he got us and let me tell you, when you think you’re getting deep dish pizza and instead you get a cracker with a one micron thick layer of cheese on it, it’s incredibly disappointing.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Oh yeah Chicagoans love to bring up how deep dish isn’t that common and real chicago style pizza is tavern style. When I was visiting my uncle there he said we were having Chicago pizza for dinner and that’s what he got us and let me tell you, when you think you’re getting deep dish pizza and instead you get a cracker with a one micron thick layer of cheese on it, it’s incredibly disappointing.
A month and a half before Covid shut everything down, my company flew (almost) everyone into their corporate office in Chicago for an annual sales/company direction meeting and I was sent on an "Chicago pizza tour" the night before the meetings started.

Only one place of the four we went to did deep-dish pizza - the rest were more "tavern style" or traditional crust pizzas - even the dessert pizza at the last place. The deep dish pizza place was first place on the tour.

Calleja

Calleja

Hey, you're the one who is saying that an American-style fried taco shell is the same thing as a tostada, despite the shapes being radically different.
Tostada literally means "toast", so yeah, the shape is not a big factor, the crunch is. There's sweet tostadas, chicken tostadas, mole dipped tostadas. It's basically another form of tortilla.

As an official and very real ambassador to the entire mexican people, we're ok with you calling "taco" shells tostadas.

Calleja

Calleja

It's easier than "Tecladora the Explora," I suppose.
Besides, didn't we already have a thread on this?

--Patrick
hahahaha wow, I had no recollection of that whatsoever, I was a youngling of 24 back then :')

Tecladora the Exploradora is the name of my new band, btw
Post automatically merged:

Damn sorry, I was expecting posts to merge :Leyla:

Calleja

Calleja

You guys can't even decide if "hot dog" is the sausage by itself or not!

But there's salchicha tacos, basically sausage tacos, with an actual corn, flexible tortilla. So sure! Most things can be tacos... if they're corn and not crunchy :D

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You're starting to sound like Bubba from Forrest Gump.

drifter

drifter

Yeah, that's kind of a dick move. You don't tell an out-of-towner you're having Chicago pizza and not get deep dish. Tavern style is just called pizza. Weird that the cheese layer was so thin, though.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of that style, but that's mostly because all the little squares gets in the way of shoving as much pizza in my mouth as quickly as possible.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You guys can't even decide if "hot dog" is the sausage by itself or not!

Frank

Frank

Now, it might be the edible I took, but I've been watching that gif for 3 straight minutes.

I am definitely no tripophobe.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Hey is it Tuesday already? Good to see you! :drunk:

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Hey Dave hope you and you're family are well buddy. Still doing improv?

Dave

Dave

Hey Dave hope you and you're family are well buddy. Still doing improv?
Nope. No more improv for Dave. Haven't held a microphone on stage since December 31, 2019.

And the family is doing well.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wonder if the two are connected.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I wonder if the two are connected.

--Patrick
No.

evilmike

evilmike

Yes, and...
FTFY

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hi neighbor.

EDIT: Oh, that's right, unless you were paying attention on The Book of My Face, I'm now in that batshit crazy state just north of Sonora.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Only if it's a Sonoran Dog.

Calleja

Calleja

Only if it's a Sonoran Dog.
I've never had one of these (Sonora's like 20 hours away by car), but I have friends from around there that insist they're superior to any other kind. But norteños are very weird about their food, it's like they have al pastor jealousy and are trying to compensate or something.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

20220807_195946.jpg