Doctor Who: 11th Doctor's costume revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rubicon

no offense to matt smith but he'd have to be jesus to be a better doctor than david tennant

Mav said:
no offense to matt smith but he'd have to be jesus to be a better doctor than david tennant
Funny, that's what a lot of people said about Tennant after Eccleston.

Calleja said:
Mav said:
I find that offensive.

Jesus would NOT make a good Doctor :humph:
Healing the sick and all that? Not a good doctor?

Oh wait, I see what you mean now.

C

cvgurau

Mav said:

And even then, it'd be kinda iffy. :eek:rly:

ThatNickGuy said:
Mav said:
Indeed.

But then Tennant went and established himself even more strongly than Eccleston had before him. I think if we had seen Eccleston stick with the role for a few more seasons we might have seen greater resistance than we did.

Matt Smith may have an... unusual look, but with the new companion around I don't think it will be an issue :unibrow:

It will be a pleasant change from Catherine Tate

Kovac said:
ThatNickGuy said:
Mav said:
Indeed.

But then Tennant went and established himself even more strongly than Eccleston had before him. I think if we had seen Eccleston stick with the role for a few more seasons we might have seen greater resistance than we did.

Matt Smith may have an... unusual look, but with the new companion around I don't think it will be an issue :unibrow:

It will be a pleasant change from Catherine Tate
I dunno, Tate really grew on me after a few episodes. It was nice to finally have a companion he could just banter with as opposed to one who was all doe-eyes over the Doctor every episode. [spoiler:2lm5jhsq]Also what they did to her at the end of s3 to keep her alive mad me[/spoiler:2lm5jhsq] :explode:

She never stopped bugging me unfortunately.

Whenever they had a Donna centric episode I was hoping for her to die a horrible horrible death.

But then they went and gave her a fate worse than death :rofl:

Mav said:
Dude! God damn it! I love Tennant and everything, but his characterisation has been all over the damned place. The only thing that defines him is that he talks fast, shouts a lot and we're constantly told that he's wonderful. This is not Tennant's fault, the man is a fantastic actor. It's just the way the character is written.

Leaving my admittedly minority opinion about the 6th Doctor's greatness aside, Davison and Troughton were more interesting and consistent Doctors. Hell, in many ways, Eccleston was much much much better than Tennant.

Damn, sometimes I hate that they started that show again... grumble grumble grumble...

R

Rubicon

CynicismKills said:
I dunno, Tate really grew on me after a few episodes. It was nice to finally have a companion he could just banter with as opposed to one who was all doe-eyes over the Doctor every episode. [spoiler:1qu38wau]Also what they did to her at the end of s3 to keep her alive mad me[/spoiler:1qu38wau] :explode:
She did grow on me too. Thats one thing I hated about Martha, like 8 episodes into her season as a companion she was all in love with the Doctor so easily and quickly. Hated that.

And who didn't love DoctorDonna?

R

Rubicon

Lamont said:
Mav said:
Dude! God damn it! I love Tennant and everything, but his characterisation has been all over the damned place. The only thing that defines him is that he talks fast, shouts a lot and we're constantly told that he's wonderful. This is not Tennant's fault, the man is a fantastic actor. It's just the way the character is written.

Leaving my admittedly minority opinion about the 6th Doctor's greatness aside, Davison and Troughton were more interesting and consistent Doctors. *, in many ways, Eccleston was much much much better than Tennant.

Damn, sometimes I hate that they started that show again... grumble grumble grumble...
But he's THE Doctor. When I think of the Doctor, I don't think of the kinda half serious half goofy version Eccleston did, I think of the unbridled rage filled Time Lord who's lost everything and anything he's loved. Or as Marie Antoinette would say "such a lost and lonely little boy".

B

Biardo

Mav said:
Lamont said:
Mav said:

Leaving my admittedly minority opinion about the 6th Doctor's greatness aside, Davison and Troughton were more interesting and consistent Doctors. *, in many ways, Eccleston was much much much better than Tennant.

But he's THE Doctor. When I think of the Doctor, I don't think of the kinda half serious half goofy version Eccleston did, I think of the unbridled rage filled Time Lord who's lost everything and anything he's loved. Or as Marie Antoinette would say "such a lost and lonely little boy".
damn it Mav every time you or someone else mentions the girl in the fire place I get such a desire to watch it again that by tonight I'll probably just give up and watch it like the thousand time

Mav said:
He's THE Doctor right now, but others feel that THEIR Doctor is Paul McGann or Eccelston or Tom Baker or Peter Davidson, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I love Tennant as The Doctor, but Who is the ONLY show where you can have a revolving cast on the SAME character. Matt Smith is the next one and he certainly won't be the last.

Tennant is MY Doctor. I look forward to watching the new guy (especially with Stephan Moffet at the helm), but Tennant shall always be my favorite.

R

Rubicon

Biardo said:
damn it Mav every time you or someone else mentions the girl in the fire place I get such a desire to watch it again that by tonight I'll probably just give up and watch it like the thousand time
Best. Episode. Ever. "There comes a time, Time Lord, when every little boy must learn to dance."

CynicismKills said:
I still wish Eccleston had gotten another season, myself.
He could have, he chose to quit after 1 season cause he didn't want to be typecast as The Doctor for the rest of his career.

yea cause he's done such diverse stuff since. Like Hamlet for the Royal Shakespeare Compan...oh wait that was the guy who stuck with the show for 4 years.

R

Rubicon

Covar said:
yea cause he's done such diverse stuff since. Like Hamlet for the Royal Shakespeare Compan...oh wait that was the guy who stuck with the show for 4 years.
Exactly.. I mean prior to D.W. I've seem him in two things

A) the villain from Gone in 60 Seconds (which was a minor role since he got such little screen time..)

B) the military leader dude from 28 Days Later

sure he's done other stuff recently, he was great as Claude in Heroes but that was a small part in season 1. He was good in The Dark Is Rising but it barely got any attention and who knows how big his part is in the upcoming G.I. Joe movie..

he shoulda stuck with D.W. if he were smart. but alas if he did that we might not ever haven gotten Tennant

Mav said:
Covar said:
Exactly.. I mean prior to D.W. I've seem him in two things

A) the villain from Gone in 60 Seconds (which was a minor role since he got such little screen time..)

B) the military leader dude from 28 Days Later

sure he's done other stuff recently, he was great as Claude in Heroes but that was a small part in season 1. He was good in The Dark Is Rising but it barely got any attention and who knows how big his part is in the upcoming G.I. Joe movie..

he shoulda stuck with D.W. if he were smart. but alas if he did that we might not ever haven gotten Tennant
Well he's Destro, so I assume he's got a decent part. However this is a GI Joe movie, not anything he's probably going to get his bick American movie break in, sadly.

A

Aisaku

Also, pertaining to the Jesus comment, Eccleston WAS Jesus, or at least a modern day messiah, the role he took just before Doctor Who. I also think there were stories left to tell with Eccleston's Doctor.

The only thing I ask from Matt Smith is he doesn't try to follow Eccleston's or Tennant's take on the Doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.