Does Fade hate it or love it?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Dear Fade. MMO's?
Hate them. Well. That's not entirely true. Every so often I find myself wanting to return to the game, and I try it again. Then I get bored after about 2 weeks. I don't like the whole mechanic. The "kill X of Y" or "collect 3 blanks that drop 1/100 kills" bit is really tedious and really repetitive. You sit there and hit the same keys in the same rotation over and over again. They're so easy, too. Even if you die, it's a minor setback at best. I have tried WoW, CoX, and DDO. Out of all of those, I liked CoX the best, but mostly on mood and story elements. Despite the Trade Channel bitching on WoW, they're more or less the same mechanic and the same classes. I think the music and mood of CoX is more immersive, and you get a better feel for actually RPing a superhero (starting with the excellent character generator), whereas on WoW, I rarely even read the quest text, even when I tried to care. Plus PUGs actually exist(ed) in CoX, whereas everyone seems to solo in WoW, despite the 11 million or whatever subscribers.

You know what I do hate? That when I complain about WoW, fanboys tell me something annoying like "the real game starts at 80". Really? So what's the point of 1-80? The real game should start when I double-click the WoW icon the first time. I shouldn't have to do what amounts to work before I have fun. The furthest I've gotten in CoX was about 45, and the farthest I've gotten in WoW was about 51 (a troll shaman). It pained me greatly to do that, and at the end I felt like I was playing because I was too cheap to let the subscription sit unused.

You know what else I hate? All the thought and time people invest in the game trying to squeeze that last 1% out. Or how there's only One True Talent Build. Or calling people out on trade chat because they didn't lead the instance the way you wanted. Etc. etc. It's supposed to be fun, but I guess I covered that above.

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 AM ----------

Oh, I also hate the linear scaling and the homogenizing of them. It almost doesn't matter what class you play, because they're so homogenized. Leveling essentially amounts to changing the pretty lights on the screen, because the monsters level at the same rate, and stay about at the same comparative difficulty. No, those calls don't come from hyper-analyzing numbers, because I don't care. They come from playing multiple classes, and basically feeling like I'm doing roughly the same thing, but with different lights.

And that brings me to another thing I hate. Twinking out your low-level character. Or making alts just for professions or bank slots. That makes an easy game even easier. Why bother playing at all? Just get one of those birds that rocks back and forth and aim it at the "Lightning bolt" or "fireball" or "wrath" button.

Can't say I argue with you at all, Fadester. I used to play CoX a lot when it first came out. It gradually became a once in awhile thing to a once a week thing then a take a break for a few months thing and then eventually never looked back thing. Tried WoW and found it was the same grinding crap, only with no fun of character creation.

Now that we got that outta the way: Gremlins! (1, 2 or both). Love or hate?

Please do keep in mind that this is on my list of "Will Fade be dead to Nick?"

E

Element 117

Dear Fade
Do you like the fact that I hate everything you like?
I hate that because I like you, and I like to like you, therefore the hate.[/QUOTE]

You hate MMO's. I like them. it is the way of the universe. Officially, I suppose I hate you on a professional level, just to keep the yin and yang in balance. ;)

fade

Staff member
You know what fade hates? Seeing "pointless off-topic comments" on my reputation list every time I log in. I don't get angry too often, especially regarding internet posts, but that one gets under my skin because if you click on it, it goes to a post that directly addresses the topic of the thread. I mean, "off-topic" couldn't be more wrong. Maybe you disagree with my opinion, but that hardly makes my opinion either pointless or off-topic.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I know I made a big to-do out of that in the cosplay thread already, but I just saw it again, and I really don't want to go back to the cosplay thread, because apparently I'm not allowed to find Belle Chere's bland, doughy face bland and doughy. She does have a beautiful body, mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.