[Gaming] E3 2016

Oh good, surely this will not bring out anyone's inner overlord.
Skyrim ... I did not think it could look more gorgeous and I was so very wrong.

I haven't double-dipped with all these upper console re-releases, but I must with this. I will get it right when it comes out. I cannot fucking wait. I will put myself on forcible no-Skyrim for the next few months just to make it all the more special.

I already love this E3 so much.

fade

Staff member
Maybe it's just me, but I kind of liked the "before" images better than the "after" on those Skyrim clips.

Is that it? I know today was Microsoft's day, so I was kind of a skip day anyway.

They apparently have there own .5 system planned, and have already announced their next console.

Last Guardian (with a release date!):

Silent Hill Resident Evil VII:

[DOUBLEPOST=1465875940,1465875855][/DOUBLEPOST]Frank West is back, baby:

New, untitled Spider-Man game by Insomniac Games!

So yeah, holy shit. Between this and Horizon, I may have to break down and get a PS4. Might wait until they release a Slim version, though. Surely that's coming at some point.

Yeah, the more I see for PS4 the more I think I'll have to bite the bullet. Plus I know there's a couple shooters my dad would love to play that aren't coming out on PS3.

Is that it? I know today was Microsoft's day, so I was kind of a skip day anyway.
They apparently have there own .5 system planned, and have already announced their next console.
They also bought LinkedIn today for 26 billion dollars. It's been a busy day for them.
Might wait until they release a Slim version, though. Surely that's coming at some point.
I don't know about a Slim version, but I know they're releasing a PHaT version (the PS4 Neo, or PS4k I think they're calling it?).

--Patrick

Yeah, looks like I'll be finally coming into the NEXT GEN with one of those beefed up PS4 Neos or whatever they're calling them.

Can't wait to finally play The Last Guardian and probably cry!

God of War looks almost unrecognizable. I'm not sure how the feel of it will be, but it's definitely an interesting route to take the series.[DOUBLEPOST=1465899878,1465899650][/DOUBLEPOST]Resident Evil VII I'll need to see some gameplay, and Spider-man I'll need a demo to know if it feels right in how you handle him.

That's something I'm curious about. Is this new God of War tied at all with the original series? The main character looks like Kratos, but the setting looks more Scandanavian than Greek.

fade

Staff member
I like PS4 exclusives. It gives the devs the chance to play to the console's strength. I enjoy PC gaming, but I have also always liked my PlayStations. If this convinces any of you to give it a whirl, I highly recommend anything by Naughty Dog that they published exclusively for PlayStation. Great story games with fun gameplay and interesting puzzles.[DOUBLEPOST=1465910502,1465910263][/DOUBLEPOST]That Spider-Man game really showcases his agility, which was always his coolest superpower in my opinion.

Laughing at Twitch chat freaking out when they find out Link can jump. :p

So far the graphics seem to be Windwaker-ish. At the very least they are cel shaded.

Weapons break. :(

Last edited:
That's something I'm curious about. Is this new God of War tied at all with the original series? The main character looks like Kratos, but the setting looks more Scandanavian than Greek.
I'm guessing that since there are no more Greek gods, they decided for him to take out the Norse ones now.

figmentPez

Staff member
I wan tot be excited about Zelda... I really do. But all the crappy decisions in Skyward Sword that made it a pain in the ass to play, at points, make me very wary of how an open-world Zelda is going to pan out. I'm getting a little sick of Nintendo not learning from other game companies experience in making games.

I noticed that he had the Omega symbol as a buckle on his clothes, which makes me believe it is Kratos, just several years after he's killed the Greek gods.

Yeah, I'm assuming he might be nigh-immortal thanks to the whole War God temp job thing, so it could be decades or more after the events of the last GoW.

Still bummed that Nintendo's reaction to doing a female main character essentially boiled down to...

- "We don't want a male Zelda." She doesn't have to be male, you nimrods. Zelda and Link don't always hook up in the end... they were brother and sister in Zelda 3!
- "If Zelda is the main character, what are we going to do with Link?"

Gee... I don't know... how about having Link rule the kingdom instead and he's being held hostage by Gannondorf? Or hey, let's switch things up even more: maybe Link is the villain. Link's Courage could have been corrupted into recklessness and now he's unleashed some ancient evil while seeking a new challenge, so now it's up to Zelda to use her magic to try and save the day while Gannondorf (who is using his Power justly for once) and his army of Garudo warriors to hold the line until she can defeat the evil. It literally took me 5 minutes to think of that and I STILL think I put more effort into it than Nintendo did.

It's alright to follow an iconic formula, Nintendo, but don't treat us like idiots. Just say "that's not the story we want to tell", not "there is no way to tell that story".

I wan tot be excited about Zelda... I really do. But all the crappy decisions in Skyward Sword that made it a pain in the ass to play, at points, make me very wary of how an open-world Zelda is going to pan out. I'm getting a little sick of Nintendo not learning from other game companies experience in making games.
This is where I'm at. Between the new jumping, gathering, hunting, weather stuff, open world ... it's like The Legend of Zelda: Fallout New Vegas Survival Mode. Which would be fine, except a ton of these things are new concepts for Nintendo and I feel like they've bitten off more than they can chew.

Yesssssssss, give it to me now. Finally not going to be tied down by previous-gen consoles:

Daaaaaaaaang, WayForward looks to be delivering hard on their KickStarter for this.

Finally watched the Zelda trailer.

Dat music! Dat open world! Dat art style!

100% on board.

Is it just me or does this definitely have a "Failed Hero" timeline feel? The lonely vibe and free overworld seems like the direct sequel to the original NES Zelda and Adventure of Link.

Is it just me or does this definitely have a "Failed Hero" timeline feel? The lonely vibe and free overworld seems like the direct sequel to the original NES Zelda and Adventure of Link.
I think you're right, especially with the premise that this time Link is piecing together what terrible thing happened to Hyrule, exploring the aftermath and ruins.

I will probably buy this for Wii U because at this point I can't see myself buying the next Nintendo home console and maintaining self-respect. My wife and I bought the Wii U, now and then play a Nintendo game we wanted to play, and then the Wii U goes months collecting dust until the next Wii U game we want to play comes out. Compare this to the 3DS, PS4, or even the friggin PS3, each getting year-round use because they have games we keep going back to, or new games we want to play coming out regularly. Unless the NX is a hybrid console/handheld as has been rumored, I'm not sure I'd be buying it.