Ender's Game

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: Ender's Game

Tagline: This is not a game.

Genre: [GENRE]Action[/GENRE], [GENRE]Adventure[/GENRE], [GENRE]Science Fiction[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Gavin Hood[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Asa Butterfield[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Hailee Steinfeld[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Harrison Ford[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Abigail Breslin[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Aramis Knight[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Moisés Arias[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Jimmy "Jax" Pinchak[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Viola Davis[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Ben Kingsley[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Suraj Partha[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Khlylin Rhambo[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Conor Carroll[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]2013-11-01[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]114[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]Based on the classic novel by Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game is the story of the Earth's most gifted children training to defend their homeplanet in the space wars of the future.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

GasBandit

Staff member
An acceptable transfer of the basic story to the visual media. Really, I am not sure how it could be improved as a movie, but the book still outshines it by far.

A pretty terrible adaptation of the book, that relies quite a bit on the audience having read the book. Nothing is done in the movie to actually make you care about the characters, the setting, or the stakes. Plenty of EMOTIONAL MOMENTS that are only setup within the novel. Taken by itself, separated from its source material, everything in the movie just falls flat.

Even though it's not a particularly long book, it's packed. There is no way to easily make a movie out of it and contain the most important aspects of the story within just a couple of hours.

While fans of the book will wish the movie were more than it is, the movie stands well enough alone. Like most book adaptations you'll find they put things in the movie which aren't necessary to understand, but will become more meaningful upon reading the book.

Decent action and acting. The score wasn't remarkable. Worth watching once, whether a fan of the book or not, it does cause one to think about the balance between maintaining security and revenge, child soldiers, and redemption.

The universe Card created could use a more significant treatment, but until that is done, if ever, this movie is a decent representation of the conflict and themes at the heart of the universe.

I just watched it last night, and it seemed to fall pretty flat for me. I haven't read the book, so that could be why. The reasoning behind using children didn't seem really fleshed out, and it didn't make much sense to me. They also seem to make a technology jump from jets to full on inteplanetary space travel and giant fleets of space ships in 50 years.

Necronic

Staff member
They did as good as they could have for a movie. Which is terrible. I rated this 2 stars (would not walk out) but in fact I stopped watching it after 45 minutes.

It should have been an HBO miniseries.

My wife hasn't read the book, and she really enjoyed the movie. She's watched it twice already.

She enjoyed it even more once I fleshed out some of the backstory after her second viewing.

I'm not very fanboyish, and tend to be pretty forgiving of (most!) movie adaptations. I enjoyed the movie as well, and feel that they did a pretty good job of it, and it was really entertaining.

I don't think so. They could have written a script that wasn't littered with "emotional moments" that had absolutely no context within the movie.
That's how an adaptation is supposed to work. You don't cherry pick scenes from the source without giving them their build-up unless you're making The Last Airbender.