Football vs. Football/Soccer - Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking lately, given the World Cup going on right now.

Pretty much everyone outside of the U.S. calls soccer "football". But then we have the American sport of football, or pigskin or gridiron or "kill the other dude with a shoulder tackle".

So, if soccer is supposed to be called football, what do you call football (the NFL kind)?

I've been thinking lately, given the World Cup going on right now.

Pretty much everyone outside of the U.S. calls soccer "football". But then we have the American sport of football, or pigskin or gridiron or "kill the other dude with a shoulder tackle".

So, if soccer is supposed to be called football, what do you call football (the NFL kind)?
American Football ("fútbol americano" in spanish and "futbol americà" in catalan.)

I just meant that it wasn't just the Americans that call it soccer, we do too. I'm fully aware TNG is aware of it, cause he's a card carrying Canuck as well. But I thought it was worth mentioning that we also have our own crazy rules to football and we also call it soccer.

Also, as a side note: outside of here in Oakville, I've never seen anyone give a rat's ass about soccer. This place is crazy. Every 4 years, there are more Italy flags on Canada Day than there are Canadian ones here. Just yesterday I saw cars waving South Korea, Italy, and Greece flags all over the place. And yet when we won Olympic gold in hockey, the one sport on earth that matters, nobody seemed to care. Makes me miss my small town.

It's not too much of a point of confusion, since they're not played during the same time of year at all
Since when? MLS is one of the only leagues that plays mostly during the summer. Most everyone in the rest of the world does the start in fall/end in spring season.[/QUOTE]

I think that is his point exactly. Canadian Football is played Spring/ Summer with the championship in late fall.

I call it football, like 90% of the rest of the world does. I call the other less important shit, American football.

The world has to be wrong right? God bless America.

C

Chazwozel

Damn right the World is wrong. Kiss the brownest part of my white American ass, World.

Association Football: 1848 The Association formed in 1863.

American Football: 1868

It is only 20 years younger and an ocean apart. So by time that soccer came to America we were already playing Football.

So other than kicking and punting, when do you football? Better name would be Handball? Or ballcarriage? Tossingball? throwingball?

Venezuela Fan :

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

Rugby Football looks to be a bit older than Association Football. So using your feet exclusively seems to be invented later for Football.

C

Chazwozel

Kinda funny. I type in "Football" in google and the first search back is NFL.

Honestly, who gives a crap?

I will occasionally watch American Football. I avoid hearing anything about soccer, because quite honestly, I'm not interested. It's a bunch of dudes running and kicking and sometimes, but only sometimes, something happens. Of the 37 hours the average soccer game seems to last, there's maybe 90-120 seconds of something that isn't guys in shorts chasing a ball like a bunch of border collies. Zidane's headbutt was literally the best moment in soccer of that year.

C

Chazwozel

I will occasionally watch American Football. I avoid hearing anything about soccer, because quite honestly, I'm not interested. It's a bunch of dudes running and kicking and sometimes, but only sometimes, something happens. Of the 37 hours the average soccer game seems to last, there's maybe 90-120 seconds of something that isn't guys in shorts chasing a ball like a bunch of border collies. Zidane's headbutt was literally the best moment in soccer of that year.
Soccer is a lot like baseball. Both are kickass fun to play, but boring as hell to watch.

Soccer is a lot like baseball. Both are kickass fun to play, but boring as hell to watch.[/QUOTE]

Except in a 1-0 baseball game there's still great plays being made.

What? There's also AWESOME plays in 0-0 football matches.
yep the mid-fielder passes the ball backwards to the fullback, who will then pass it to the left midfielder who will then bomb it down the field to the other team, only to have them repeat 5 passes before it gets booted to the other team....

C

Chazwozel

Soccer is a lot like baseball. Both are kickass fun to play, but boring as hell to watch.[/QUOTE]

Except in a 1-0 baseball game there's still great plays being made.[/QUOTE]

Eh, both are great physical and strategic games in my opinion. Football (real football) takes the cake in terms of strategy and physical play, and that's why I think it's so much more entertaining.

What soccer needs is another prodigy player like Pele' to make it interesting for the U.S. Pele would do crazy shit like scissor kicks, ball juggling, and amazing dribbling during matches. You just don't see much of that anymore.

No, instead you have Wayne Rooney, a thug who makes Shrek look refined, trudge upfield until the other team literally runs into him, so someone else can pass the ball, and they'll move it upfield, then pass back, and then zzzzz.....

If they wanted to make soccer interesting, they'd rule out fouls entirely and put Ramon Dekkers on the field. That, I'd watch.

Wait, that's.... no, how did they get nearly five times the population of earth to watch? :shocked:

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

Ok, maybe they're adding all the games' viewers?

Well, since the Superbowl's JUST ONE GAME, yeah, it would have less viewers than the entirety of the World Cup. That's comparing apples and combine/harvesters.

The World Cup was first televised in 1954 and is now the most widely viewed and followed sporting event in the world, exceeding even the Olympic Games. The cumulative audience of all matches of the 2006 World Cup is estimated to be 26.29 billion.[1] 715.1 million individuals watched the final match of this tournament (a ninth of the entire population of the planet). The 2006 World Cup draw, which decided the distribution of teams into groups, was watched by 300 million viewers
LMAO, the DRAW for the world cup.. that is the boring group selection process that's basically an old guy taking papers out of a hat (not really but you get the idea) had more viewers than the super bowl!! Wow... more viewers than the Olympics. This is even bigger than I thought.

C

crono1224

Olympics are multiple games that have no 'end all championship' game, so for # of people for one game i wouldn't be surprised to see that. Being bigger than the super bowl is silly, that is between two American teams, it's not really international at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.