Forum Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
1) I vote for keeping post counts. There is truly no reason to remove them and I find them helpful.

2) I hate change, and this place isn't home, and I don't know why we moved in the first place, but I'll cope.

3) Too many subforums. Nobody's going to post in half of them.

What are postcounts helpful for?

There's no real reason to keep them as there is to remove them. For me, anyway. Who cares Ed has like seven-thousand posts? Or that Ame has only two-hundred? Does it make a difference?

doomdragon6

Staff member
My arguments:

They take up NO SPACE. Why remove them? Why remove information that causes no harm?

I saw a post by someone in the old forums (Why'd we move, again?) who sounded like he might've been new and was explorin the forums a bit, but I didn't know. I was very curious as to how many posts he had, as it is a decent indicator of who's been around and who's participated, who's a lurker, etc. It's fun seeing a lurker post.

Still don't know how I feel about these new forums but I don't guess it matters a whole lot. Kind of hope it isn't the end of us.

R

Reboneer

Actually, I vote for leaving post counts on for a while, to test it out a bit... with new posters incoming, I thought it might be a good gauge of who's new and how much so we can cut them some slack with the whole "in-jokey" thing.
I would think the join date would be a better gauge of who's new.

good work guys.

Not a huge fan of any of the themes, but I've been a subsilver guy on most of my forum using experience so any theme change is going to take getting used to. Love some of the features vBullitin offers. although I just noticed, where are the spellchecking squiggles?

Dave

Staff member
Wow! Thanks, Ame! I had to go to bed and I worried about getting up this morning to a pile of requests/complaints. You helped out a shitload!

fade

Staff member
Bleh, I don't like having to click something to activate the quick reply box. Why can't it always be active?

I agree with Shego. I usually set my bookmark to the egosearch, and I'm not sure what the URL is in vBulletin.

Dave

Staff member
Bleh, I don't like having to click something to activate the quick reply box. Why can't it always be active?

I agree with Shego. I usually set my bookmark to the egosearch, and I'm not sure what the URL is in vBulletin.
I hate, hate, HATE the Quick Reply box! I will be changing it as soon as I find a viable workaround.

Just because you dislike the Quick Reply box doesn't mean it should be disabled. :)

I'd also like to see this option enabled by default for quick replies. I'd consider it #1 priority as it affects posting. :)

I'd also fix avatars to be at max 150 by 150.

Seems like its fixed now. Good stuff. :)

Now to my next problem : Is it normal that I lose all "unread topics" status when I switch from my home PC to my work PC? Under the old forums, if I didn't read a topic, it stayed unread on any PC until I read them or marked them read. Now, when I logged on my work PC this morning, it automatically marked everything as in read. Thus an entire page of updates are already marked as read and I gotta read them and count on memory. Anyone else get this? New posts do show properly though.

Dave

Staff member
Seems like its fixed now. Good stuff. :)

Now to my next problem : Is it normal that I lose all "unread topics" status when I switch from my home PC to my work PC? Under the old forums, if I didn't read a topic, it stayed unread on any PC until I read them or marked them read. Now, when I logged on my work PC this morning, it automatically marked everything as in read. Thus an entire page of updates are already marked as read and I gotta read them and count on memory. Anyone else get this? New posts do show properly though.
Interesting. I have no idea. Time to research and learn something new.

I'll have to see if it's a 1 time thing or will happen again, I'll keep you updated. Definitely not a priority.

It can do some harm; newbies being mistreated, post mongers being viewed as 'elite', and the ones that post for the sheer fact of upping their post count. Not saying that always happens, but it does to some extend. That's simple forum life. You could still check post count by clicking on someone's profile if you are really curious.

Only people with 500 posts can have an opinion, imo.

How about the 'automatic subscription' problem? So far I haven't made many posts here (like maybe four or five) but every new topic I've posted in automatically subscribed me to said topic. I tried turning it off but didn't see an option anywhere.

Dave

Staff member
How about the 'automatic subscription' problem? So far I haven't made many posts here (like maybe four or five) but every new topic I've posted in automatically subscribed me to said topic. I tried turning it off but didn't see an option anywhere.
Oi! That would suck! Anyone else getting this?

Is there an option to turn on that it warns you that posts have been created to the thread you're replying to?

Dave

Staff member
Is there an option to turn on that it warns you that posts have been created to the thread you're replying to?
I see what you mean! You're talking about like what we had in the phpBB forum where if someone posted before you hit submit it would let you know. Is that what you're asking

Yeah, when you posted, someone people posted in the thread in the meantime... it was very useful.

M

Mutiny

I'm having trouble finding the emoticons.

For that matter, I can't find any of the buttons that put tags in. Halp.

Nevermind, I found them. Someone hid them from me. :(

I find the location - and the colour scheme, on all themes - of the "new post" images (not in the thread list; in a thread) to be bothersome. They're all the way over there in between the avatars! Gah!

Also, The fact that no theme offers links back to General or whatever subforum you're in on the bottom of the page means having to scroll all the way back up after every read tghread? :(

M

Mr_Chaz

Dave, is it possible to get a link back to the forum you're in from directly under the last post of the thread?

Currently when I read the last post I either have to scroll right to the top to the link there, or scroll down to the drop down box to click Go. Is it possible/practical to get a link back that's closer to the text? I find it makes life a lot easier. Not a vital change, but a nice one if it's not too troublesome.

EDIT: Huh, and looks like Bubble just had the same notion.

I have to admit, I'm annoyed.

The "See your own posts" and "See new posts" is nowhere near as indepth as the old boards. I'm not sure what the timeline it uses for "See new posts" but it's not exactly very detailed and "See your own posts" aka the old Ego search is even worse.

Any word on if that's just going to stay that way or ?

Also, why is my PM box permantely full? I delete everything in there and it mysteriously fills up again.

Maybe this was covered before, but I was curious what sparked the change of board programs in the first place. These ones seem a bit rigid and every time I look at the image of the little planet with a chain below it in the message options I can't help but be reminded how dated it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.