FUCK apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
smurf apple

Denbrought said:
Steam needs you to get online to download the game, but have you heard of offline mode?
Unless you're online or you've run Steam while online recently offline mode doesn't work.

smurf apple

Cat said:
Denbrought said:
Steam needs you to get online to download the game, but have you heard of offline mode?
Unless you're online or you've run Steam while online recently offline mode doesn't work.
Yeah that makes sense... Generally you have to get online to get digitally distributed games online...

To play in offline mode you download the game through steam and run it once while online and then you can play it offline, you have to run it once so it authorizes the game.

smurf apple

Cat said:
Denbrought said:
That is completely untrue in my experience, as stated in the other thread. There are a few games where this is true because the PUBLISHER has online verifications incorporated into the game.

smurf apple

Cat said:
Denbrought said:
I haven't had problems when my internet went suddenly wonky for good lengths of time with the games I usually play/played on Steam.

C

Chazwozel

smurf apple

Espy said:
Bowielee said:
Well, I did luck out. I just plugged in my backup drive and it does have all my itunes stuff on in, but I still think it's fucktarded that you can't re-download your purchases. I can't think of any other digital distribution media that doesn't let you re-download what you've purchased.
As far as I know neither Amazon nor iTunes allows redownloading, at least not without a sob story (like in my case).
Glad you had your stuff backed up, that always makes life easier. I've had to learn the hard way to many times before I got an auto backup program. Why did you wipe it without making a backup though? Talk about living dangerously... :Leyla:

I would have done the same and assumed that you can redownload songs you bought. I only backup, you know, actually important data (which all fits nicely on a 128 MB flashdrive).

smurf apple

JCM said:
Shegokigo said:
JCM said:
Just trying to understand your confusing standards, defending terrible DRM like Steam and Amazon´s, and complaining over having to send Apple an email. :heythere:
I can tell you right now, DRM and STEAM have nothing to do with each other.
Authorising a game online is a form of DRM. Even an 8-year old (aka my brother) knows that.
:facepalm:

smurf apple

New funny turn. I was re-downloading the applications that I purchased. Guess what?

They let you re-download the apps for free.

I find that hilarious.

OK, I've been away, let's throw in my €0.02.
Backing up non-essential, downloaded files, should be completely unnecessary. Why? Because they're ALREADY backed up - on the servers of iTunes. Why should I make yet another copy of them? It's like printing out a copy of every mail you receive. Don't do it. It's a huge waste of my time, HD space, etc, to back them up. I buy the rights to a song, let me have my damn song.
Besides, backing up isn't always easy to do. I use my laptop almost exclusively now. There's one physical hard drive in there. I don't hook it up to 17 devices wherever I go - you really think I should devote 3 to 4 hours a week to backing up every little thing on there on a NAS or something? Good lord. I back up some 200 MB of personal files every week or so, and any larger things I'm working on very actively (usually papers, stories, thesis,... that I spend days and weeks on) every day and on several different places (mail them to myself, put a copy on a flash drive, burn one to a CD, whatever). My own stuff needs backing up, of course, but, just like no sensible person takes the time to back up stuff you can jsut reinstall (back up the save games, not the game content!), I don't see why I should back up stuff iTunes would give me, anyway.

(I only have MP3s that are copies of my physical CDs, but I'm a dinosaur on the issue of music.)

C

Chazwozel

smurf apple

Guys you're all missing the important logic here. It's not like Apple doesn't know that they can allow people to redownload songs they already purchased. They damn well know it's possible and fair to the customer. They just would rather fuck you over and have you pay for your music again.

Bowlie, if you hadn't found your music backup, I do believe you would be legally allowed to download the same song through *ahem* alternate means...

C

Chazwozel

smurf apple

Shegokigo said:
Funny how that's hard for some people in this thread to grasp huh?

The shining white knights of Apple, you mean?

smurf apple

Chazwozel said:
The shining white knights of Apple, you mean?
I am a Mac fangirl to some extent, I'll admit, but FFS I also admit when they engage in dumbfuckery.

Yeah, I've been in this situation. Massive HD crash, lost hundreds of songs. I also was in the middle of downloading an album I paid for when my internet died on me for about 15 minutes. I had to send an e-mail to them and waited a few days before they allowed me to get it without paying again.

K

KarateKidMcFly

smurf apple

Sorry, but I don't see where it's Apple's responsibility to recover your music for you. Apple makes a small amount per song purchased (most goes to the record companies) and bandwidth costs money. If you don't back up, the only one to blame is yourself. If your house burns down, and your CD collection goes up in flames, do you expect someone to give you back those CDs?

edit to add: I realize, in the interest of full disclosure, I should add I used to work for Apple; I quit about a year ago. I feel the same for any company providing digital content that can be backed up, though. If they allow you re-download, they're going above and beyond, but it's not something they have to do.

smurf apple

KarateKidMcFly said:
Sorry, but I don't see where it's Apple's responsibility to recover your music for you. Apple makes a small amount per song purchased (most goes to the record companies) and bandwidth costs money. If you don't back up, the only one to blame is yourself. If your house burns down, and your CD collection goes up in flames, do you expect someone to give you back those CDs?
:facepalm:

Because it's exactly the same! A fluctuation in electrical power can burn your cd collection!!

-- Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:30 am --

(I'm sorry, I understand comparisons don't need to be THAT similar, and I get angry when someone doesn't get mine because this kind of things. I do understand what you are saying, but I'm trying to make a point: it is MUCH easier to lose a digital collection.)

smurf apple

KarateKidMcFly said:

edit to add: I realize, in the interest of full disclosure, I should add I used to work for Apple; I quit about a year ago. I feel the same for any company providing digital content that can be backed up, though. If they allow you re-download, they're going above and beyond, but it's not something they have to do.

Actually seeing how they all claim that you don't buy the song, just the right to hear it etc. they shouldn't be allowed to deny you the right to hear it just because you no longer have the songs on you...

Replacing your CD's is another thing because they also would have to give you new pieces of plastic...

And the difference isn't between physical stuff and digital stuff, but between tangible and intangible stuff... which includes ideas and other stuff... which is why theft and copyright laws are different... and why taking a physical copy of a book from whoever owns it that someone wrote in 1756 is still illegal, but making a copy isn't any more...

Shego said:
I can tell you right now, DRM and STEAM have nothing to do with each other.
As much as it pains me to agree with JCM, any type of check, even if it does it only once, to see if you're legit is a form of DRM... Steam just uses a less crappy way of doing it (as long as you have a connection that is).

Even not allowing you to just burn a copy of the original CD is DRM...

C

Chazwozel

smurf apple

KarateKidMcFly said:

They're not losing any bandwidth chief. You download the same song from the same source that they allow you access to.

If your house burns down, your insurance company compensates you for your lost CD collections value. Considering that comparing CD's to MP3s is what got us all in this legal mess of copyright rights, let's stop comparing apples to oranges, shall we?

You pay for the rights to listen to the song, you shouldn't lose those rights if you delete the song. It should be right there for you if you want to listen to it again. I'm so glad I obtain my music through *ahem* alternative means... This exact thing is what turns people off from legit modes of downloading music. The RIAA and Apple both love to fuck people in the ass.

J

JCM

smurf apple

Chazwozel said:
KarateKidMcFly said:

They're not losing any bandwidth chief. You download the same song from the same source that they allow you access to.
Actually it does, 5 computers, 5 downloads of each song, up to 5X the bandwidth.

Its dickish, but I doubt its RIAA´s decision, its Apple´s, just to save bandwidth. Anyway, you can get your music back
http://thecontent.wordpress.com/2006/05 ... usic-once/
But it requires emailing back and forth details, then waiting for someone there to pess the big red button that allows you to redownload them.

So yes, Apple wants you to backup everything, and save bandwidth, so lets throw the
If your house burns down, your insurance company compensates you for your lost CD collections value. Considering that comparing CD's to MP3s is what got us all in this legal mess of copyright rights, let's stop comparing apples to oranges, shall we?
Sorry to goo BowieLee on this, but its a terrible comparison. Does the record company where you bought the cds pay that insurance and give new cds to replace the destroyed ones, or are you suggesting Apple have a "dumb user who unclicked the backup option" insurance? :heythere: I kid.

Its an unecessary step, but the fact is that you can redownload, My doubt is still with BowieLee´s saying that Amazon deleting shit from one´s computer/Kindle without his permission, not notifying him and not giving him an option to download a legal copy to continue reading the book is GOOD BUSINESS, but Apple making you email to get your songs back to save bandwidth is BAD BUSINESS.

To me both seem equally dickish.

smurf apple

Chazwozel said:
The RIAA and Apple both love to fuck people in the ass.
RIAA are dicks! They're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the we are pussies. And Apple is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!

smurf apple

JCM, the reason I'm saying that it's fine for them to have deleted the books from people's kindles is because they reimbursed them the purchase price of what was deleted. Therefore, those who lost their e-books have the option of re-purchasing it in some other way without any loss.

Also, for the record, the whole Apple thing pissed me off because it's not something that was readily apparent. Looking around the net, I think it sucks that there are so many stories of "learning the hard way" when it comes to itunes.

I do take responsibility for making the assumption that you could re-download your music, but I've never used Itunes prior to getting my Ipod, and the only other music service I've used was Napster and they DO let you re-download your songs at least a few times no questions asked.

J

JCM

smurf apple

Fair enough. I´ll disagree with amazon, as I´d hate to have anyone deleting stuff from my hardware without telling me, or finding out a book I am reading has disappeared, but on the Apple case, I agree.

Yeah, its a business decision to avoid people downloading the same song over and over for each authorized pc and save bandwidth, but its still an extra step and rather dickish.
Shegokigo said:
Chazwozel said:
The RIAA and Apple both love to fuck people in the ass.
RIAA are dicks! They're reckless, arrogant, stupid dicks. And the we are pussies. And Apple is an asshole. Pussies don't like dicks, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes: assholes that just want to shit on everything. Pussies may think they can deal with assholes their way. But the only thing that can fuck an asshole is a dick, with some balls. The problem with dicks is: they fuck too much or fuck when it isn't appropriate - and it takes a pussy to show them that. I don't know much about this crazy, crazy world, but I do know this: If you don't let us fuck this asshole, we're going to have our dicks and pussies all covered in shit!
Except in this case, Apple is the dick, and asshole,

C

Chibibar

It is the digital age and space is cheap (especially network space) itune connects to their server all the time just like Steam. If you purchase the songs, I feel you should be able to redownload it since you have to authorize the machine (which is more than Steam does you just have to log in) Apple still limit to 6 authorization right? (I don't buy anything from iTunes BUT do have 2 iPods. We buy all of our CDs and upload to iTunes and we backup those to an external hdd.

Even the RIFFTRAX people have a storage for their downloadable content on the web site.

It seems silly to me that Apple, being larger, wouldn't. Must be a record company thing.

C

Chibibar

General Fuzzy McBitty said:
Even the RIFFTRAX people have a storage for their downloadable content on the web site.

It seems silly to me that Apple, being larger, wouldn't. Must be a record company thing.

Nah.. I say more of a money thing :)

Just found out that apparently some publishers on Kindle only allow you to download a book you've purchased three times (to the same device, mind you). After that you have to BUY IT AGAIN.

After I heard that the iTunes thing didn't sound so bad.

smurf apple

ZenMonkey said:
Just found out that apparently some publishers on Kindle only allow you to download a book you've purchased three times (to the same device, mind you). After that you have to BUY IT AGAIN.

How is allowing you to re-download something 3 times worse then never allowing you to re-download it?

Necronic

Staff member
smurf apple

Well fuck me in the goat ass.....

I don't think I have ever seen a more civil discussion of apple involving JCM, Chazwozel and the rest of you scrubs......

Congrats bitches.

V

Viggs

smurf apple

Jake said:
:rofl:

Bowielee said:
ZenMonkey said:

How is allowing you to re-download something 3 times worse then never allowing you to re-download it?
I think she was comparing having unlimited downloads but requiring e-mails VS. not having to send e-mails but being limited to three downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.