Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

GasBandit

Staff member
@BErt That is Patrick Rothfuss, author of the Kingkiller Chronicle books, consisting of..

• The Name of the Wind (2007)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (2011)
The third book, The Doors of Stone, is FAMOUSLY late. It has been 12 years without anything other than a ridiculous side story pamphlet of a book for his favorite side character manic pixie dreamgirl that nobody gave a shit about.

He also offered up a supposed sample chapter from Doors of Stone to backers of his charity in 2021, and they have yet to get it.

A great number of his fans, myself included, have pretty much given up on ever seeing the third book. Which is a shame, because the first two were, hands down, the best fantasy novel series I've ever read outside of LOTR.

Dave

Staff member
Which is a shame, because the first two were, hands down, the best fantasy novel series I've ever read outside of LOTR.
They started out good but holy shit were there some terrible things in them. Like the whole "sex fairies took me captive until I showed them what good sex was and they let me go and now I can make every woman within a half mile radius know what good sex truly is".

Dave

Staff member
Let's just say Kvoth is very good at making himself look infallible but when it comes time to actually DO anything he can't. He's very much a Mary Sue character.

They started out good but holy shit were there some terrible things in them. Like the whole "sex fairies took me captive until I showed them what good sex was and they let me go and now I can make every woman within a half mile radius know what good sex truly is".
I agree, although I interpreted it the other way around. He *learned* really good sex from the fairy. It was his wit that saved him to escape back to the real world. So...still Mary Sue through and through.

GasBandit

Staff member
That's also the thing... the framing of the story is Kvothe telling the story. He is an unreliable narrator.

Also, he didn't "show the fairies what good sex is," he
Tricked them into releasing him. He wrote a song about the fae queen's sexual prowess that was damning in its faint praise ("In bed, being with her is nice, her skills at love, they do suffice" etc) that really irritated the fae queen's pride to the point of nearly killing him, but he pleaded that since he was a virgin when they stole him, and thus the queen was his first and only, he had no basis for comparison - so they sent him back out into the real world to experience other women so he could write a REAL song about how good fairy sex is. And since he was fae-touched after that, it did make him get bonus rolls on all sex encounters, as well as knowing The Seven Words That Will Make A Woman Love You.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, I think he's more of a deconstruction of a Gary Stu/Mary Sue than an actual one, given that -
1) he's the one telling the story, so his achievements are aggrandized and his faults are swept under the rug ("I'm not good at alchemy, it's weird, and not important") and makes excuses for himself ("I couldn't answer the question, it must have been Hemme's fault" "I was dumb enough to bring an open flame into an ancient parchment-based library, but I was tricked so it's not my fault")
2) Elodin basically outclassed him at everything. One of the hallmarks of a mary sue is that they are the best at everything.
3) He's monsterously flawed - egotistical, overconfident, impatient, and obviously all these things lead to some sort of tremendous downfall which is how he ends up running a backwater inn under an assumed name instead of being the Greatest Hero Of All. Which also brings up...
4) Another crucial hallmarks of a mary sue is that by the end of the story, everyone loves them. Kvothe easily makes more enemies than friends at every turn, and most of them are not Bad Guys. By the end/beginning of the story, he's so hated that he's got a price on his head and has to live in carefully guarded anonymity in east bumfuck village.

GasBandit

Staff member
Completely the same as a guy getting in academically just like everyone else.
If anything I find the football situation to be LESS believable.

"What, you get paid to go to a top university and treated like royalty because you can throw a ball good?"