Export thread

Funny (political, religious) pictures

Limit: 500

strawman

strawman

Post your funny political/religious pictures here. Rather than the main thread. Please. For the children.

Here, I'll start you off:

Tress

Tress

Post your funny political/religious pictures here. Rather than the main thread. Please. For the children.

Here, I'll start you off:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

LETS START ANOTHER DEPRESSION SO WE CAN HAVE $2 GAS!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!

Espy

Espy

Is this the "Post funny poltical/religious pics" thread or is this the "Post funny political/religious pics with citations" thread?

I kid, I kid. Everyone knows everything should have a citation.

Tress

Tress

Is this the "Post funny poltical/religious pics" thread or is this the "Post funny political/religious pics with citations" thread?

I kid, I kid. Everyone knows everything should have a citation.
As Gilgamesh is so fond of pointing out to me , if it's based on a lie or outright fallacy it's not funny.

Besides, I live in the Sf Bay Area. Gas hasn't been under $2 for us in ~10 years. :fu:

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

As Gilgamesh is so fond of pointing out to me , if it's based on a lie or outright fallacy it's not funny.

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1349291344][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1349291840][/DOUBLEPOST][DOUBLEPOST=1349291899][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1349292035][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1349292104][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1349292234][/DOUBLEPOST]
[DOUBLEPOST=1349292519][/DOUBLEPOST]

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Alternative version:

GasBandit

GasBandit

On the other hand...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Holy shit that was well done.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

oxopq.jpg

and

y0JSF.jpg

evilmike

evilmike

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm glad that they clarified that DPS means deaths per second. :rolleyes:

phil

phil

Bowielee

Bowielee

Excellent use of the McGurk effect.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Covar

Covar

GasBandit

GasBandit

snoop-list.png

MindDetective

MindDetective

Excellent use of the McGurk effect.
Psychology nerd alert!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

111.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

How the taiwanese saw the debate:

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

sGkzw.jpg

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bowielee

Bowielee

Psychology nerd alert!
Takes one to know one :p

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

3XQdXYLspECY2Vbt5OjNeQ2.jpg

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

jwhouk

jwhouk

I don't think so, Tim.

Necronic

Necronic

The UT case about Affirmative Action gave me this priceless quote today (I am a UT grad):

"A marginal candidate who gets rejected by UT can always enroll in ROTC at Texas A&M or Texas Tech" - Justice Samuel Alito

Suck it aggies.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The UT case about Affirmative Action gave me this priceless quote today (I am a UT grad):

"A marginal candidate who gets rejected by UT can always enroll in ROTC at Texas A&M or Texas Tech" - Justice Samuel Alito

Suck it aggies.
Let's see you and IronBrig4 in a fistfight. Do it! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

GasBandit

GasBandit

How it feels to be a Libertarian, in one panel.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

How it feels to be a Libertarian, in one panel.
reminder that in this instance that 2 means corporations paying for roads, police, fire fighters, and the following gem:

LP dot org said:
We favor free-market banking, with unrestricted competition among banks and depository institutions of all types. Individuals engaged in voluntary exchange should be free to use as money any mutually agreeable commodity or item. We support a halt to inflationary monetary policies and unconstitutional legal tender laws.

GasBandit

GasBandit

reminder that in this instance that 2 means corporations paying for roads, police, fire fighters, and the following gem:
Libertarians are not anarchists. Try again. Also, note the quote you quoted said unrestricted COMPETITION, not unrestricted banks.

Bowielee

Bowielee

But they are for small government.

I have an honest question about Liberterianism. What is the stance on anti-trust issues?

GasBandit

GasBandit

But they are for small government.

I have an honest question about Liberterianism. What is the stance on anti-trust issues?
Well, seeing as how Gary Johnson (Libertarian nominee for 2012) has filed an antitrust lawsuit for the Libertarian Party's exclusion from the debates... I'd say not what a lot of people might expect it to be.

Tress

Tress

Did you want their actual stance, or the load of bullshit they claim to support when they're speaking in public?

Bowielee

Bowielee

My basic view is that a supply and demand economy is the proper way for capitalism to function effectively. That's why it's imperitive that there IS some government interference in large corporations and banking institutions. When they are allowed to become the juggernauts of market influence that they are now, this is how we end up with the destruction of small businesses and with it, a marginalization of the buying power of the middle class.

Basically, I'm tired of the Corporate Oligarchy and the Personhood of corporations needs to be repealed, like, 20 years ago.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I thought this was the thread for pictures...

Bowielee

Bowielee

You're right. I retract my previous statement.

Shakey

Shakey

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Terrik

Terrik

576984_534806319879073_1230929967_n.jpg

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

A picture of Biden at his debate with Ryan

GasBandit

GasBandit

Either way, we're boned.

Eriol

Eriol

I'm not supposed to laugh.... and yet... I'm not supposed to laugh...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

How it looks when Paul Ryan tries to appeal to America's Youth:

evilmike

evilmike

I wonder if he will fix the obvious error on the first line.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I wonder if he will fix the obvious error on the first line.
Ahh, I didn't catch it until you said something. Adams didn't defeat an incumbent, Washington stepped down after his second term.

evilmike

evilmike

Ahh, I didn't catch it until you said something. Adams didn't defeat an incumbent, Washington stepped down after his second term.
This is why we need a "Not sure if serious tag". ;)

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Untitled-3.jpg

Eriol

Eriol

Could be worse. You could be drunk, pull up to a homeless shelter (or soup kitchen, don't remember), yell at the people to "go get jobs", throw a bunch of misc bills at them, drive off, and have your approval rating go UP as a result since he went into AA afterward. Ralph Klein, Premier of Alberta in the 90s and early 2000s. It really happened.

That being said, I generally think he was actually a really good leader of the province. Some bad decisions yes, but on the whole a good Premier. But that incident happened.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

It was pretty bad, the whole story was:

He went in after they pretty much had closed.
Pretended to wash dishes that were actually already cleaned by the volunteers.
Went in against the director's permission (director used the quote: -Ramrodded their way in for a PR photo op)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, that's no way to get ahead in politics. He should have just drove his car off a bridge and left a woman to drown. That's how you get the media to love you and throw themselves in front of bullets for you.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Yeah, that's no way to get ahead in politics. He should have just drove his car off a bridge and left a woman to drown. That's how you get the media to love you and throw themselves in front of bullets for you.
Lost me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not surprised.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Not surprised.
Ouch....
sad.gif

GasBandit

GasBandit

Eh, don't fret too much, I'm guessing it happened before you were born. Mmmmaybe before you were pubescent.

Tress

Tress

Ted Kennedy.

You shouldn't feel too bad, it was a non-sequitur.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I didn't really start paying attention to my politics till around 2005 so even if it did happen in my life time (32yrs old) I probably missed it.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Silent Bob

Silent Bob

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Easily my favorite thing to come out of the binders quote:
igqsn.gif

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I lost all self control laughing at these:
Josh Romney
13.jpg

14.jpg

hli2q4_hed5gbl.gif

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeeeeah, but it kinda makes your chances of getting elected president microscopic at best.

Isn't that right, Ms. Kopechne?

...Ms. Kopechne?

...Uh, this is no time to go for a swim...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Not sure if funny....
120624_600.jpg

or sad because it's true....

Eriol

Eriol

Sure. NONE of that second panel was happening after the first debate. Keep on believing that one.

I'd actually fully approve of this comic if it wasn't naming sides. If it was just "our side" "their side" and applied generically, then I'd be with it.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Sure. NONE of that second panel was happening after the first debate. Keep on believing that one.

I'd actually fully approve of this comic if it wasn't naming sides. If it was just "our side" "their side" and applied generically, then I'd be with it.
It's not a matter of it not happening, it's a matter of it being overwhelmingly true majority wise. I'm entrenched in all forms of the political media at the moment and have been for the past year and a half, listening to both sides and I can tell you for a fact that it's was definitely as portrayed in the comic by a majority (not a whole)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Of course the second panel did not happen after the first debate, Romney pretty much won that one.

Zappit

Zappit

Terrik

Terrik

Not sure if funny....
View attachment 8562
or sad because it's true....
Chris Matthews would prove otherwise.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Chris Matthews would prove otherwise.
Chris Matthews did exactly what the comic portrays. Hell it EMBODIES how he reacted to Obama losing the first debate. He CLEARLY stated that Obama lost because he wasn't on his game.

However, when Romney lost the second debate, every single GoP flunkie went on a crazy attack on EVERYTHING possible except Romney's failure. Rush Limbaugh, Laura Ingram, Sean Hannity, multiple Fox News anchors and if that's not good enough, I'll be happy to link all the facebook/tweets and blog videos they all released.

For posterity:
Chris Matthews said:
"Tonight wasn't an MSNBC debate tonight, was it?" Chris Matthews said after the first Obama-Romney presidential debate concluded on Wednesday night.

"I don't know what he was doing out there. He had his head down, he was enduring the debate rather than fighting it. Romney, on the other hand, came in with a campaign. He had a plan, he was going to dominate the time, he was going to be aggressive, he was going to push the moderator around, which he did effectively, he was going to relish the evening, enjoying it," Matthews said.

"Here's my question for Obama: I know he likes saying he doesn't watch cable television but maybe he should start. Maybe he should start. I don't know how he let Romney get away with the crap he throughout tonight about Social Security," Matthews complained.

Matthews then demanded that President Obama start watching cable news, specifically his program.

"Where was Obama tonight? He should watch -- well, not just Hardball, Rachel, he should watch you, he should watch the Reverend Al [Sharpton], he should watch Lawrence. He would learn something about this debate. There's a hot debate going on in this country. You know where it's been held? Here on this network is where we're having the debate," Matthews said.

"We have our knives out," Matthews said, admitting his network is trying their best to defend Obama and his policies. "We go after the people and the facts. What was he doing tonight? He went in there disarmed."

"He was like, 'Oh an hour and half? I think I can get through this thing. And I don't even look at this guy.' Whereas Romney -- I love the split-screen -- staring at Obama, addressing him like prey. He did it just right. 'I'm coming at an incumbent. I got to beat him. You've got to beat the champ and I'm going to beat him tonight. And I don't care what this guy, the moderator, whatever he thinks he is because I'm going to ignore him," Matthews said.

"What was Romney doing?" Matthews asked. "He was winning."

"If he does five more of these nights, forget it," Matthews added. "Obama should watch MSNBC, my last point. He will learn something every night on this show and all these shows. This stuff we're watching, it's like first grade for most of us. We know all this stuff."

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

gTx6O.png

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

11kjdc9.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

hah... she looks like Terry Jones in drag.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

with Jay Leno

@Li3n

@Li3n

Low pressure areas... how ridiculous!

GasBandit

GasBandit

It ain't easy bein' cheesy...

... the election that goes... CRUNCH.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

fmwl3.jpg

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

sack102612.jpg

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Awesome Videos Thread, Gil! NAOWGH!!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Martin Sheen said:
“He doesn’t have a clue what 99 per cent of the people are going through. He’s never lived on that level. He’s never had to compete for a job or face eviction or struggle to get a college loan. ‘He was born on third base and thought he hit a triple.’
http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/10/martin-sheen-romney-is-stupid-arrogant-147573.html

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'd vote for Martin Sheen.

Actually, I'd be voting for Jed Bartlet. But Martin Sheen's close enough.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

On Hurricane Sandy:
GHzTT.png

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

bhamv3

bhamv3

Aaaaand... song stuck in my head.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

More sad than funny. This is the entirety of my local paper's front-page election coverage:

@Li3n

@Li3n

He's juuuusssstttt WHITE:

evilmike

evilmike

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'd vote for that...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

So many reasons why Louie is the next big legend of comedy.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

11.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Guess this means she's going to be MIA on more raid nights.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Guess this means she's going to be MIA on more raid nights.
Hey now, people voted for her based on her keeping it Horde credentials, she had better install WoW on all government computers or 8,666 WoW-heads will be disappointed...

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Wrong but hilarious
ou0nE.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I feel bad for laughing.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Mouseover: As of this writing, the only thing that's "razor-thin" or "too close to call" is the gap between the consensus poll forecast and the result.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Razor Tight...

what the hell is that supposed to mean?

evilmike

evilmike

I suspect Obama won because he captured a key demographic:

Eriol

Eriol

Razor Tight...

what the hell is that supposed to mean?
It means that in the USA a margin of 2-5% is announced as a "landslide" or "dramatic shift" when in every other country in every other election it's advertised as "squeaked by" or "razor tight" or "barely held on to their mandate."

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

but "razor tight" does not mean a damned thing. Razor thin margin does, but not razor tight... I was getting sick of hearing politicos using "Cow Shit" terms.[DOUBLEPOST=1352305566][/DOUBLEPOST]virgin vag is tight, not a razor.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Untitled-3.jpg

SOULLESS FOOOOOOLS!

@Li3n

@Li3n

It means that in the USA a margin of 2-5% is announced as a "landslide" or "dramatic shift" when in every other country in every other election it's advertised as "squeaked by" or "razor tight" or "barely held on to their mandate."
Yeah, weird how in countries with more then 2 parties % aren't that close all the time....

HOW DID HE KNOW THE GINGERS RIGGED THE ELECTION? IS HE ON TO US? CHEESE IT!!!!

Zappit

Zappit

So Cat Scratch Fever is a brain-wasting disease?

Terrik

Terrik

Durex tweet on their China Weibo account:

The difference between Romney and Obama is...

durex-china-weibo-account-after-obama-wins-reelection.jpg

Frank

Frank

Yup.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Again I have to ask, how much more of this does Disney have to tolerate before they tell Pat to fuck off and pull the 700 Club off of ABC Family? They have enough money and lawyers to stick it to him until he croaks.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Now now, be nice. Pat Robertson escaped from a Liberal Death Camp in California, where Christians are shipped in by the trainfull and gassed in the showers, to bring us this information. He risked life and limb to make sure we knew that Christians are being systematically exterminated throughout America.

Oh wait.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Frank, thats not too funny to me...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

aqdHp58drkaBClsvl74aiw2.png

Frank

Frank

Frank, thats not too funny to me...
Yeah...I thought about that, but we don't have a terrifying/unbelievably pathetic political pictures thread.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Sorry the site's in dutch, but the video's in English and I can't be bothered to go find it elsewhere.

http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/mediatheek/ookdatnog/1.1477565 <- "What Mitt Romney really said after his defeat".

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

There are times when the President can be awesome, other times, freaking awesome:

533827_10151273396981749_1876991773_n.jpg

McKayla Maroney: "Did I just do the 'Not impressed' face with the President...?" Yes.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Eh. That's ok I guess.

Krisken

Krisken

Blotsfan is not impressed by Barack Obama and Mckayla Maroney being not impressed.

Make the face, Blotsfan, make the face!

bhamv3

bhamv3

I have come to the conclusion that everyone named Mckayla, or some variant spelling thereof, is hot.

blotsfan

blotsfan

She's 16.

@Li3n

@Li3n

She's 16.
So it's totes legal here and i should go for it... Got it man, tnx.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Is she at least mature for her age?

Krisken

Krisken

No.

jwhouk

jwhouk

She's a gymnast. What do YOU think?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

this got awkward fast

GasBandit

GasBandit

this got awkward fast
Only for people whose humor antenna got broken off.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

gmq0i.jpg

Sometimes you just have to have a -Me- day ya know? ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

What an awkward way to be nailed to a cross. I mean, it's not supposed to be comfortable, but I'd expect palm out would be preferred, should the crucifixee have a choice in the matter anyway.

Also, have you ever noticed how awkwardly awkward is spelled? There are only 8 english words that contain the "wkw" sequence, and 6 of them are variations of awkward.
Since -ward is a standard suffix indicating direction, couldn't it also technically be appended to any noun that ends in wk? Like, hawkward, for toward the hawk? Or Squawkward, or ... ok, that's all I got.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That sounds tomahawkward.
See, I avoided that one because it contains "hawk" in it, but I think you've hit a gold star word there... there's awkward, and then there's tomahawkward.

Piotyr

Piotyr

There's an Assassin's Creed 3 joke in there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Find a pic of the "hero" killing someone, and that someone has that tomahawkward feeling.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Hehehe, seems like he's looking out the window to see everyone under the bus.

GasBandit

GasBandit

evilmike

evilmike

The White House discovers the hazards of letting the internet interact with things...
deathstar.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

We need a "facepalm" option.
:facepalm:

evilmike

evilmike

Krisken

Krisken

Wut?

It is as if they are trying to fight stupid with stupid.

jwhouk

jwhouk

By having the coin (so the suggestion goes), the US Government would be able to "back" any debt they have.

Unfortunately, it's like deciding to melt down all your jewelry, take it in to a pawn shop and try to get a loan on an Escalade with the funds.

Krisken

Krisken

Oh, I get that. That's stupid on its own level. I was talking about that graphic which is so moronic it defies all logic.

Eriol

Eriol

By having the coin (so the suggestion goes), the US Government would be able to "back" any debt they have.

Unfortunately, it's like deciding to melt down all your jewelry, take it in to a pawn shop and try to get a loan on an Escalade with the funds.
Because of the concept itself is "mint a coin, the metal for which must be platinum, but the value is whatever we say it is on the face" it doesn't actually need very much platinum at all. You don't need the equivalent value amount of platinum. Just like a Quarter doesn't have enough (whatever metal it's made from) to justify its value. Or paper money is obviously not enough paper to be worth 20 bucks, or whatever. So you're not sacrificing your jewelry collection, it's more like lopping off a branch of your tree, and trying to sell it for thousands of dollars as "art". If somebody buys it... well I guess you're not the stupid one anymore! Though what implications this concept has for the current way we issue and assess the value of currency is of course another disturbingly parallel discussion IMO.

All of which is why that graphic itself is so STUPID. It's just... wow.

evilmike

evilmike

The White House discovers the hazards of letting the internet interact with things...
View attachment 9307
I think it is safe to say that the White House wins this round...
This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For

bhamv3

bhamv3

Someone in the White House has a sense of humor. :D

jwhouk

jwhouk

The man in the Oval Office does read Spider Man, of course.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The man in the Oval Office does read Spider Man, of course.
He also collects Conan comics, having been a reader of them for many years.

GasBandit

GasBandit

George Burnett, a smoothie shop owner from Vernal, UT is in the local news spotlight after implementing a unique pricing structure for his customers: if you're a liberal, you pay a dollar more. According to KSL's news report, Burnett says he will donate the proceeds from this surcharge, as well as any tips received, to various conservative political groups including the think tank The Heritage Foundation. While only a handful of people have volunteered to pay the liberals price, many others have taken to the store's Facebook page to complain about the perceived discrimination. Yet Burnett stands by his methods, noting that he's trying to start a conversation about the financial problems in this country.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Okay... how is that any better than if he had pulled the same stunt with, say, the Muslims?

PatrThom

PatrThom

George Burnett, a smoothie shop owner from Vernal, UT is in the local news spotlight after implementing a unique pricing structure for his customers: if you're a liberal, you pay a dollar more. According to KSL's news report, Burnett says he will donate the proceeds from this surcharge, as well as any tips received, to various conservative political groups including the think tank The Heritage Foundation. While only a handful of people have volunteered to pay the liberals price, many others have taken to the store's Facebook page to complain about the perceived discrimination. Yet Burnett stands by his methods, noting that he's trying to start a conversation about the financial problems in this country.
I wondered if you had seen this. I didn't mention it only because I thought you'd rant on it.

Totally unfounded, right?

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

YEAH, IT'S THEM LIBERALS' FAULT!

Moron.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Okay... how is that any better than if he had pulled the same stunt with, say, the Muslims?
Well, prefacing my statements with "I'm not sure he can actually, legally, do what he's doing, it's a little too deep into lawyer territory for me to speak with certainty," I'd say the difference would be that political persuasions are not given the same sort of protections as religious or racial differences.[DOUBLEPOST=1358378420][/DOUBLEPOST]
I wondered if you had seen this. I didn't mention it only because I thought you'd rant on it.

Totally unfounded, right?

--Patrick
Well, that depends on how you define "rant." I think he's being a little silly.

tegid

tegid

I'd say the difference would be that political persuasions are not given the same sort of protections as religious or racial differences.
It may be legally different. Is it morally different? (No it isn't)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll take my money where the food matters more than the politics of the customer. It'll probably taste a whole lot better, too.

Eriol

Eriol

It may be legally different. Is it morally different? (No it isn't)
Unless you take your political affiliation with a similar amount of conviction as your religion (which most don't), then they're not equivalent. Throwing race in there (which is immutable) is just silly.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Eh. I think its just trying to make a statement. Its not like anyone is actually forced to pay the extra dollar.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Journalist Guide to Firearm Identification.jpg

tegid

tegid

Unless you take your political affiliation with a similar amount of conviction as your religion (which most don't), then they're not equivalent. Throwing race in there (which is immutable) is just silly.
Surely not the majority, but I'm sure many people do. A lot of people are half-assed about religion or not religious at all, and some people are very strong about their political convictions. Wait, make that a question, because it may not be estimating the amounts of people right (after all, I'm in another continent and religiousness is a bit different here).

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

c7NsO.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I so wanted to hear about how sometimes there was only one set of footprints...because that was when he was turned into a pirate.

--Patrick

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

40829_635601589799825_1649836065_n.jpg

Tress

Tress

Where's the "sad, but true" button?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Espy

Espy

What is a "War Mongler"?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Holy hell I lost my mind laughing at this one.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Actually, I'd argue about that "better funded" part.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Actually, I'd argue about that "better funded" part.
You'd argue incorrectly.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Not in MY neck of the woods.

GasBandit

GasBandit

jwhouk

jwhouk

You forgot the "A Division of Koch Industries, Inc."

figmentPez

figmentPez

11713_10151387792469290_580720914_n.jpg

Krisken

Krisken

haha, nice. I've always wondered what effect the income disparity (not average, which can be a misleading metric for measuring wealth) and population density has on homicide rates.

Eriol

Eriol

Ya, up here in Canada, it's like Mad Max. Obviously. What other conclusion could be drawn?

Telephius

Telephius

Ya, up here in Canada, it's like Mad Max. Obviously. What other conclusion could be drawn?
Well, Winnipeg is murder capital of Canada...

Frank

Frank

And in 3rd place is Edmonton, which is just as miserable as Winnipeg. That temperature murder thing might be onto something.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's true, the hottest areas in the world are all extremely peaceful.

Egypt, Syria, Libya, Somalia... etc. No one ever gets killed around those areas.

Frank

Frank

GasBandit

GasBandit

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

The bottom right panel should read "Kill this man."

figmentPez

figmentPez

Oh, so that's why Dark Souls is such a difficult game...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

but racism is dead........

ALSO - not to defend Weiner (lol, I'm 5 years old), but "young girls" seems a little misleading? I don't think it was ever anyone underage, was it?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Since he tweeted his junk to all his twitter followers... the may have been some young girls on there.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Mr Jesus No Here.jpg

bhamv3

bhamv3

... I see an "Agree" under there. Does anyone else see an "Agree"? When'd we get those back?

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

... I see an "Agree" under there. Does anyone else see an "Agree"? When'd we get those back?
Is from tapatalk when you like something from the app

Frank

Frank

Potato broke me.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I think that's a Poe.

drifter

drifter

Yeah, it's from larknews.com, a satire site.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I think that's a Poe.
Just what are you trying to say?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Just what are you trying to say?
I'm saying you've got your own law, man!

PatrThom

PatrThom

We the people
In order to form a more perfect union
Ensure domestic tranquility
To ourselves and our posteri...

Ok, I'm-a stop now.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

We're men, we're men in tights.
We roam around the colonies looking for fights.
We defend our new nation and kill the British, that's right!
We may look like sissies, but watch what you say or else we'll put out your lights!
We're men, we're men in tights,
Always on guard defending the people's rights.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

We roam around the colonies looking for fights.
We defend our new nation and kill the British, that's right!
We may look like sissies, but watch what you say or else we'll put out your lights!
We're men, we're men in tights,
Always on guard defending the people's rights.
Fucking bravo

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Facepalmingly, eye-rollingly blasphemous.

umqqQ.png

(also it's fake, but still clever)

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Shot in the dark CNN, but it's probably the one you refuse to spell out.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Who the fuck was suggesting cracker was worse. I really, deeply want to meet that person. And slap the shit out of them.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Watching the video now... let's see how ridiculous this gets.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I saw somewhere that captioned it "If you aren't gonna say one of the words, it's that one."

fade

fade

1000470_10151520194486275_1379587827_n.jpg

Bubble181

Bubble181

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

The CNN N-word debate reminded me of this

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hell yeah.

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

nsa.png

GasBandit

GasBandit

Espy

Espy

Noooooooooo

Gared

Gared

I heard that Wiener was going to run for President in 2016, with the AG as his VP. It'll be the Wiener Holder ticket.

(credit to local radio host, Luke Burbank)

Zappit

Zappit

The alternate title for that article was, Weiner Drops in Poll, Causes Weiner's Pole to Drop

PatrThom

PatrThom

vetX5.jpg

Clearly the media are having no end of fun with this.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Well it's not every day you get to make headlines about a guy named Wiener. They're lucky it's happened twice so close together.

bhamv3

bhamv3

A guy named Weiner who's embroiled in a sex scandal, no less.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Not a picture, but a really embarrassing interview from a foxnews program called Spirited Debate. Didn't think this deserved its own thread, so it's going here.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/is-this-the-most-embarrassing-interview-fox-news-has-ever-do

Tress

Tress

Not a picture, but a really embarrassing interview from a foxnews program called Spirited Debate. Didn't think this deserved its own thread, so it's going here.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/is-this-the-most-embarrassing-interview-fox-news-has-ever-do
"I don't know, Fox has a history of ridiculous interviews. This can't be THAT bad..."

*watches interview*

:Leyla:

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I have to be honest, I don't really understand the widespread criticism this is getting. I mean, yeah it's an atrocious interview, but also, it's the "24-hour news cycle" which is really just reality TV masquerading as news, trying to sell you toothpaste and Febreeze and Zoloft and Hyundais.

Like, this is just what "the news" does. People call it embarrassing, but I suspect they knew exactly what they were doing. I mean, after all, we're talking about it, aren't we?

A lot of people are crying about Fox's anti-intellectual, Christian-right bias in this, but I think the interview would have been equally content-free, if for other reasons, on the other 24-hr networks. Truthfully, academic and/or historical discussion just isn't going to sell as well as a narrative, so Fox went with "Muslim writes books about Christ: Controversial? Yes." and then, everyone who agrees with them gets to be all "Muslims blew people up for cartoons about Mohammed, but they feel they can write about our Saviour?" and everyone who disagrees gets to be all, "Look at how ignorant and biased Fox is. I've always disagreed with their bias, and now I can disagree with their bias some more, which is great." And meanwhile, both groups are watching, which means maybe they're not as stupid as their detractors like to thing, since all they're really selling is their viewers to advertisers.

Let's not pretend the other other networks aren't as bad. CNN asked Trayvon Martin's friend what the difference was between "n*gger and n*gga," for a totally information-free discussion on the outcome of the Zimmerman trial, but the narrative they were selling was an open conversation about race. But no one asked, like, I don't know, why didn't you finish high school, and do you wish you had, and why do you think there is such a high rate of young black people like yourself not staying in school, and what would improve the environment to make you want to stay or go back? Nah, that might be useful dialogue about the problems faced by black people in America, and instead, it was a lot easier to just comfort everyone by reminding them, if you're not black and you say "n*gger" (or "n*gga"), you're probably an asshole.

Of course, what they really should have done, if they were human beings, is let that girl just go grieve her friend, post-verdict. But then people might watch other channels, so, that's not going to happen.[DOUBLEPOST=1375048553][/DOUBLEPOST]ANYWAY, the point is,* I like Reza Aslan and I'll probably buy his book. Maybe that interview was very awkward and frustrating for him, although I suspect he knew what kind of deal he was going to get with that organisation.

*Not actually the point.

figmentPez

figmentPez

hotair.jpg

Without the logo on the button, this could really be about any president.

Eriol

Eriol

Without the logo on the button, this could really be about any politician
FTFY

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's lo.

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

560798_703450873005296_1940094395_n.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Shouldn't the second photo be Bush not Obama?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Shouldn't the second photo be Bush not Obama?
Bush wiretapped every OTHER nation.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Bush wiretapped every OTHER nation.
That was Ike or Kennedy. Echelon has been going on for decades.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

I suppose that depends on how much the First Family capitalizes on Sunny merchandise.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

My dad includes me in all his political shit emails he sends out, so I've seen this picture like 10 times. Why is this guy such a big deal right now?

Tress

Tress

He has made waves since getting elected for not following usual etiquette rules in Congress (being an asshole), being so far to the right that he makes many Relublicans look like hippies, and for his threats to try to shut down the government in the coming months over the Obama administration healthcare reforms. Also, he's already warming up for a 2016 presidential run.

Frank

Frank

But he was born in Canada. Isn't that how you're disqualified from ever being president?

Dei

Dei

There's a big argument about whether "Natural Born Citizen" means born in the country, or just born a citizen, since being born to an American parent still means you are a citizen at birth. So yeah, to Republicans, it only applies to people born outside the country if it is their own guy.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Republicans have twice run candidates born on foreign soil in my lifetime. Romney (the elder) was born in Mexico to a family that denounced their citizenship. John McCain was born in Panama.

Frank

Frank

Oh, so it's only when they're black that it counts.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

But they're totally not racist.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I don't know about Cruz or Romney, but McCain was born 'in Panama' but on a base that was under US control and was US soil, so I don't think anyone argues the legitimacy of American-born credential.

Tress

Tress

Now you're getting it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Lemme know when you guys are done jerking each other off and are ready to get back to the funny again.

Covar

Covar

Lemme know when you guys are done jerking each other off and are ready to get back to the funny again.
racist.

figmentPez

figmentPez

But he was born in Canada. Isn't that how you're disqualified from ever being president?
Of course, but he can still be the president's hat.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was actually shocked by those findings, because the double stuffed 'looks' like it is more than double...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Do we know if "stuff" is of uniform density?

Shakey

Shakey

I was actually shocked by those findings, because the double stuffed 'looks' like it is more than double...
They have been fluffing the stuff to make it look bigger than it actually is...

bhamv3

bhamv3

They have been fluffing the stuff to make it look bigger than it actually is...
2332-1271525302.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ultimately decided to post this here instead of the AVT due to the heavily religious overtones.

I'm not Jewish, but I'm about to start a new life next week, so this celebration comes right at a serendipitously appropriate time.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Ultimately decided to post this here instead of the AVT due to the heavily religious overtones.

I'm not Jewish, but I'm about to start a new life next week, so this celebration comes right at a serendipitously appropriate time.

--Patrick
That was actually kinda awesome.

I wonder if they perform Bar Mitzvahs.

GasBandit

GasBandit

In a nutshell:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Gas, at times it seems like you know what international relations are about, then you post these things that make it seem you have no idea.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Gas, at times it seems like you know what international relations are about, then you post these things that make it seem you have no idea.
He doesn't, most of the time anyway. Doesn't make him any less entertaining.

GasBandit

GasBandit

He doesn't, most of the time anyway. Doesn't make him any less entertaining.

We can't all be content with your guys' model of uniform incorrectness.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

We can't all be content with your guys' model of uniform incorrectness.
See? Comedy gold ;)

GasBandit

GasBandit

... want something done right.... grumble grumble...

Eriol

Eriol

And your counterproposal is, what, that the United States invade every single country who goes to war with someone else, or itself?
Nope. Just take a simple line: If the UN says to go in, then the USA will. Or if an allied country ASKS for help with a conflict, then you can evaluate your alliance and help them (or not). Or if something of yours is directly assaulted (you're allowed to defend yourself) you retaliate. That's it unless the UN says "the UN is stepping in."

The (good) consequence of such is that people will finally see the UN for what it is: a dictator's club. It will lose all world respect from those that see it as having anything resembling moral authority (it doesn't have it, but people think it does). Shift the blame to them every time something bad happens that they vote to NOT intervene in. THEN things can change globally once they're cut out of anything resembling respect.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nope. Just take a simple line: If the UN says to go in, then the USA will. Or if an allied country ASKS for help with a conflict, then you can evaluate your alliance and help them (or not). Or if something of yours is directly assaulted (you're allowed to defend yourself) you retaliate. That's it unless the UN says "the UN is stepping in."

The (good) consequence of such is that people will finally see the UN for what it is: a dictator's club. It will lose all world respect from those that see it as having anything resembling moral authority (it doesn't have it, but people think it does). Shift the blame to them every time something bad happens that they vote to NOT intervene in. THEN things can change globally once they're cut out of anything resembling respect.
While I don't disagree with you, I'm going to anyway just because that's kind of my thing.

As you note, the UN is usually paralyzed when it actually comes to intervening in a situation that one would normally consider to be the very reason for their existence. Hell, it's pretty much a given that any action worth taking will be vetoed by Russia, China, or both - regardless of the situation. The issue becomes, then, that when things actually need to get done, they get done outside the auspices of the UN. Which begs the question, why even have the UN at all?

The UN does have a minimally useful purpose - even if it is only to provide a forum for diplomats to lie to each other with raised voices on camera. It was part of why world war 3 stayed "Cold," and if that forum is removed it makes international diplomacy a fair amount less efficient. This in turn greases the skids on the paths to armed conflict. Without UN ballyhoo, we might already have been dropping bombs on Damascus and reading about it in the paper afterwards.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And I did post something funny! So I guess that made room for more tomfoolery.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

In the wrong hands, cabbage can be extremely dangerous.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

How about that the Affordable Care Act has around 400,000 words to it?

GasBandit

GasBandit

The internet lied to me! AAAAAGH!

Krisken

Krisken

I always found the number of words in a bill argument to be the most unconvincing argument for why a bill was bad. We shouldn't have to dumb everything down to Michelle Bachmann's level, and god forbid we make our representatives WORK for us and all those perks they enjoy for their position of power.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I always found the number of words in a bill argument to be the most unconvincing argument for why a bill was bad. We shouldn't have to dumb everything down to Michelle Bachmann's level, and god forbid we make our representatives WORK for us and all those perks they enjoy for their position of power.
Simplicity is better, fewer loopholes, less ambiguity. You have to work harder to keep a bill simple (and without tons of riders and pork added) and get the job done. Make bills specific, don't add funding for pet projects that involve livestock to a defense bill, or visa-versa.

Zappit

Zappit

Their staffs do most of the reading, and they have to put together the Cliff Notes version for the lazy fuckers. Most people on said staffs are quite in line with their bosses politically, and they're getting more politically extreme. Extremists tend to be less...analytical, considerate of consequences...intelligent, really. The lobbyists who write these bills just need to cram in lotsa words to cause them to throw their hands up and vote blindly.

Krisken

Krisken

Kinda my point. We are getting what we deserve by electing the LCD.

Terrik

Terrik

Well unless you know of a way to make a congressman or senator "do their job", as you put it, and read through a 1,000 page bill, I'm also for reduction of bill size. People obviously don't give a flying fuck whether or not their congressman/senator fully reads a bill because they continue to elect them--while this "gives us what we deserve" it doesn't really fix anything. I WANT SOLUTIONS DAMNIT--and barring solutions, I'll have a beer.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The EU press is pretty bad at overstating "Heath and Safety Gone Mad" instances. For example, they claimed that bananas couldn't be too big, or that bartenders would have to start wearing hair nets, or that businesses couldn't put up christmas decorations due to fire hazards. All these rumors were circulated, mostly by the Daily Mail, and are all untrue.

Krisken

Krisken

Well unless you know of a way to make a congressman or senator "do their job", as you put it, and read through a 1,000 page bill, I'm also for reduction of bill size. People obviously don't give a flying fuck whether or not their congressman/senator fully reads a bill because they continue to elect them--while this "gives us what we deserve" it doesn't really fix anything. I WANT SOLUTIONS DAMNIT--and barring solutions, I'll have a beer.
I dunno, my Senator read the bills he voted on and they voted him out for an ideological hack, so yeah, we get what we deserve. I'm getting too old to care anymore.

jwhouk

jwhouk

If you lived in Wisconsin over the last three years, "jaded" is an operative term.

Krisken

Krisken

Have you even had your mid-life crisis yet? You're too young to become jaded.
Are we ever too young to be jaded? I'm too old for it to be angst.

And no, haven't had my midlife crisis yet. It's not as far away as you probably think, though.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

The EU press is pretty bad at overstating "Heath and Safety Gone Mad" instances. For example, they claimed that bananas couldn't be too big, or that bartenders would have to start wearing hair nets, or that businesses couldn't put up christmas decorations due to fire hazards. All these rumors were circulated, mostly by the Daily Mail, and are all untrue.
There is a problem with EU legislation being rife with seemingly redundant phraseology, going into hyperextensive details and regulatory examples. According to my Basic Translation prof back at the university, this is because every piece of legislation has to be translated to every official language in the Union, so there is a very real need to limit language-based loopholes.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

bhamv3

bhamv3

God QI is such perfection.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Simplicity is better, fewer loopholes, less ambiguity. You have to work harder to keep a bill simple (and without tons of riders and pork added) and get the job done. Make bills specific, don't add funding for pet projects that involve livestock to a defense bill, or visa-versa.

Riders and Pork, are one thing. And should be done away with as much as possible. Too much simplicity is what opens up a lot loopholes, by allowing lawyers, lawmakers & the courts to start 'interpreting' simple language for more complex situations, in either direction of the political spectrum.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Riders and Pork, are one thing. And should be done away with as much as possible. Too much simplicity is what opens up a lot loopholes, by allowing lawyers, lawmakers & the courts to start 'interpreting' simple language for more complex situations, in either direction of the political spectrum.
Case in point: The Second Amendment.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Case in point: The Second Amendment.
I don't know how much clearer "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" could be. Just a bunch of squeamish prevarication has muddled the issue. That, and our washingtonian overlords only believe in enforcing the law, or indeed, the very concept of the rule of law, when it suits them.

Kind of like how now we've decided we're going to supply arms to known and avowed terrorist groups, declaring a "time out" on the AECA to get around that whole "this is actually committing treason" thing. With bipartisan support, by the by.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't know how much clearer "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" could be.
By that logic, that sentence alone is enough. It doesn't say you can also buy bullets, though, for example. There's also no definition at all included of "arms" - do laser guns count? And hey, no age restrictions, or disallowing proisoners, or anything. Too much simplicity and brevity is not a good thing. The opposite is possibly worse.

GasBandit

GasBandit

By that logic, that sentence alone is enough. It doesn't say you can also buy bullets, though, for example. There's also no definition at all included of "arms" - do laser guns count? And hey, no age restrictions, or disallowing proisoners, or anything. Too much simplicity and brevity is not a good thing. The opposite is possibly worse.
"Prisoners" is a strawman - all their other rights are already curtailed. But hey, I owned ("kept and bared") my first rifle when I was 10. Bullets is also splitting hairs - though many people already make/remanufacture their own.

And fuck yes laser guns count. You know as soon as that technology becomes viable to the point of combat portability, there'll be a shift to it. The whole idea, clearly laid out by the discussions of the time, was that if you'd expect a regular soldier to carry it, it must be available for private purchase and ownership. That's the real meaning of the term "well REGULATED militia."

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

"Prisoners" is a strawman - all their other rights are already curtailed. But hey, I owned ("kept and bared") my first rifle when I was 10. Bullets is also splitting hairs - though many people already make/remanufacture their own.

And fuck yes laser guns count. You know as soon as that technology becomes viable to the point of combat portability, there'll be a shift to it. The whole idea, clearly laid out by the discussions of the time, was that if you'd expect a regular soldier to carry it, it must be available for private purchase and ownership. That's the real meaning of the term "well REGULATED militia."
This is one of the main things Gas and I always agree about: it's really all or nothing. The entire intent behind the amendment was for the common man to be able to defend himself against a state sanctioned group looking to oppress him. This means that he needs to have the opportunity and right to possess all the tools a typical soldier would have available to them. Otherwise those who would be oppressed do not have the means to fight those that would oppress.

The founding fathers did not imagine a world where the assault rifle would exist. However, they already lived in one where those willing to use it against them unjustly existed. The 2nd amendment was simply a device to prevent such an inequality again.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bubble181

Bubble181

Assume a scifi future where current-tech guns are next-to-useless due to other technological improvements (for all I care through genetic modification we've all become fast enouh to dodge bullets effortlessly, I dunno - I'm talking hypothetics here for a second). The only things still useful/feasible in any sort of fight-the-power way are lightsabers orbital lasers power armor Doohickies. The problem being that Doohickies are prohibitively expensive for normal individuals. The state has a small army which are supplied with these - cost is not as much a factor since casulaties are so low and all that. Say each Doohicky would cost $5.000.000 modern-day-equivalents. Not because of taxes or crap, simply the production process (Doohickies can only be made with Expensivium, found in select asteroids in the Kuyper Belt).
Would the fact that only 1% of the population can afford a Doohickey break the 2nd Amendment? Would you ask for government intervention (subsidies or elsewise) to lower prices to keep Doohickies available for the common man?

Bubble181

Bubble181

What you're essentially asking is that if it becomes impossible to kill a human being without spending loads of money, should the govt subsidize the weapon required.
No it isn't. There's a huge difference between "capability to kill a person" and "capability to stand against an armed soldier/be armed in a simila manner".
Heck, plenty of SF universes where such is the case. Take Starship Troopers. Sure, you can have all the funs you want - but one cap trooper will make mincemeat out of a thousand people with regular guns, because he's practically impervious to anythign up to antitank weaponry.

Besides, I've neevr heard the 2nd Amendment applied to knifes or pillows, both perfectly capable murder weapons.

Covar

Covar

Would the fact that only 1% of the population can afford a Doohickey break the 2nd Amendment? Would you ask for government intervention (subsidies or elsewise) to lower prices to keep Doohickies available for the common man?
No. The second ammendment (all of the Bill of Rights really) is about government restrictions and preventing excess involvement. Now if the government were to tax the cost of arms to be insanely prohibitively expensive you would start getting into infringing territory.

Bubble181

Bubble181

For the purposes of the second amendment, there is no difference, but this isn't the thread to discuss it at length.
But this very difference is what I'm asking about. I can have a million full automatic guns, if the opponent has just one Dune-style kinetic shield, he can cut me to ribbons. In such a world, applying the 2nd amendment to rifles would be useless - they'd be a hunting tool, a murder weapon, but not a weapon giving the capacity to stand up to the Man. Would that mean everyone should be able/allowed to acquire a shield, while the uzi could be retired and restricted, or not? Or is it open for uinterpretation at that point? Where or how does one draw the line is all I'm saying - people clinging to a vision of the Founding Fathers having foreseen everything, completely and utterly, with no possibility for error or for being overtaken by science/society evolving are even more blind than those thinking the Bible or Qoran is to be taken literally and as 100% complete and utter truth - for no-one claims the FF were anything but fallible humans.

But no, this is not the right thread.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Besides, I've neevr heard the 2nd Amendment applied to knifes or pillows, both perfectly capable murder weapons.
Heh, the American Revolution being fought by Aussie knife-nuts and college girls with pillows. That's my mental image of this debate from now on :D

GasBandit

GasBandit

But this very difference is what I'm asking about. I can have a million full automatic guns, if the opponent has just one Dune-style kinetic shield, he can cut me to ribbons. In such a world, applying the 2nd amendment to rifles would be useless - they'd be a hunting tool, a murder weapon, but not a weapon giving the capacity to stand up to the Man. Would that mean everyone should be able/allowed to acquire a shield, while the uzi could be retired and restricted, or not? Or is it open for uinterpretation at that point? Where or how does one draw the line is all I'm saying - people clinging to a vision of the Founding Fathers having foreseen everything, completely and utterly, with no possibility for error or for being overtaken by science/society evolving are even more blind than those thinking the Bible or Qoran is to be taken literally and as 100% complete and utter truth - for no-one claims the FF were anything but fallible humans.

But no, this is not the right thread.
I don't see why this is confusing for you. The fact that we have body armor and automatic weapons now doesn't mean people still can't buy/keep bows and arrows, regardless their continued lethality despite obsolescence and relative uselessness against an army. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. And yes, that means dune shields and doohickeys.

Just had to get my last 2 cents in now that we're all agreeing this isn't the thread :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

Now if the government were to tax the cost of arms to be insanely prohibitively expensive you would start getting into infringing territory.
The government (city, state, fed, whichever) already habitually engages in the practice of onerous licensing fees/procedures for plenty of the things it doesn't like, thankyewverymuch.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't see why this is confusing for you. The fact that we have body armor and automatic weapons now doesn't mean people still can't buy/keep bows and arrows, regardless their continued lethality despite obsolescence and relative uselessness against an army. The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. And yes, that means dune shields and doohickeys.

Just had to get my last 2 cents in now that we're all agreeing this isn't the thread :p
I'm not confused - sure, you could have everything you wanted...But if what was required to go toe to toe with a soldier was impossible to afford for Jope Trader, the 2nd Am. fails, is all I'm saying.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm not confused - sure, you could have everything you wanted...But if what was required to go toe to toe with a soldier was impossible to afford for Jope Trader, the 2nd Am. fails, is all I'm saying.
No it doesn't. The right to own something in that case is not impeded, you just can't afford it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

No it doesn't. The right to own something in that case is not impeded, you just can't afford it.
Right. The amendment is not stating your right to be armed. Instead, it is stating your right not to be disarmed.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm not sure what "Jope Trader" is, but if you're thinking that the army outfits grunts in with weapons that cost millions per unit, you're overestimating even our military budget just a tad. Remember, the AR-15 is the civilian lookalike of the M-16, which is still our standard issue, and costs about $1000. The only difference is that the AR-15 doesn't come with a full auto setting. It's technically possible to convert it up, but accepted (if unconstitutional, imo) laws currently on the books make that illegal.[DOUBLEPOST=1379800431,1379800351][/DOUBLEPOST]
Right. The amendment is not stating your right to be armed. Instead, it is stating your right not to be disarmed.

--Patrick
Exactly. I often bring this up when people talk about the "right" to healthcare. Of course you have a right to healthcare. Whatever healthcare you can afford. I have a right to a gun, it doesn't mean the government has to buy it for me.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not sure what "Jope Trader" is, but if you're thinking that the army outfits grunts in with weapons that cost millions per unit, you're overestimating even our military budget just a tad. Remember, the AR-15 is the civilian lookalike of the M-16, which is still our standard issue, and costs about $1000. The only difference is that the AR-15 doesn't come with a full auto setting. It's technically possible to convert it up, but accepted (if unconstitutional, imo) laws currently on the books make that illegal.
The only differences between a full size M16 and an AR15 are...

- Shot selector: Single or Full Auto
- A single, small plate in the receiver. The AR15 ones prevent the gun from doing a part of the process necessary for it to fire in full auto.

Anyone with basic metal working tools can make a new one and install it for a few bucks, returning the gun to full auto. However, ownership of the modified plates is illegal. Coincidentally, this is why the receiver is the only part of the gun that is considered a "gun" for legal reasons. You can buy every other part for a gun without any kind of ID checking.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hey, this isn't funny.... this isn't funny at all.

Thread Title, you have LIED TO ME!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, this isn't funny.... this isn't funny at all. Thread Title, you have LIED TO ME!
url.jpg

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

"This is my body, given for you. Do this in rememberence of me. Because I'm so freakin' delicious."

PatrThom

PatrThom

"This is my body, given for you. Do this in rememberence of me. Because I'm so freakin' delicious."
Transubstantiation aside, I think the thing you're missing...is the fact that it's a cake.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The cake is the truth . . . the way and the life.

GasBandit

GasBandit

In the name of the Donut, the Cruller, and the Bear Claw, amen.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

GasBandit

GasBandit

cross post from my political thread:

Rovewin

Rovewin

cross post from my political thread:

Your spouse?

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

Not a picture, but a quote that's been going around Tumblr
“The US budget is like a 1st grader playing Oregon Trail. Spend all the money on ammunition so you can shoot at stuff, then wonder why your wagon is falling apart and everyone is dying of dysentery.”
Malhavoc430 Reddit
Buying bullets was a strategy that worked in Oregon Trail, at least on the Apple II version. Skilled hunting and savvy trading could get you a lot more resources than you could have otherwise.

Dei

Dei

I'm pretty sure that everybody gets dysentery now matter how well off you are.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gared

Gared

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, if it's just a funding problem, they could start buying up some of the surrounding land with the income from the casinos and personal loan programs. Poetic justice, at least.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

GasBandit

GasBandit

And from the other perspective,

"We've decided to burn down the house. The gasoline's in the garage. Give us the key."
"Uh, no, let's just keep the garage locked and talk about this."
"But the car is in the garage, and we'll have to unlock it to go to work at some point, so there's no discussion needed."
"Tell you what, I'll unlock the garage if you promise not to burn the house down."
"No."
"I'll unlock the garage if you promise to wait a year to burn the house down."
"No."
"I'll unlock the garage if you promise just to burn down the doghouse and leave the main house alone."
"No!"
"Ok, I'll unlock the garage if you promise to stay INSIDE the house till I get back, and not set any fires that aren't contained to the fireplace."
"No! We're both going to lose our job and it's all your fault for not unlocking the garage! It's already been decided to burn down the house, you're just holding our jobs hostage! Burning down the house is DONE, unlock the garage and move on! I expect a clean unlock of the garage before there is ANY negotiation. We can talk about not burning down the house once the garage is unlocked and I have the gasoline."

PatrThom

PatrThom

Maybe he could just burn down the Senate?

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

GasBandit

GasBandit

Or, you know, the surest sign that you made it illegal not to do so.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Or, you know, the surest sign that you made it illegal not to do so.
With such horrible consequences... like a $90 the first year fine! :rofl:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Or that federal sites are closing down anyway because of the shutdown. (I guess Obamacare site is exempt.)

Gared

Gared

Keep in mind though, that the reason that the Washington state health exchanges site keeps crashing is because "people are attempting to navigate through the site in unexpected ways," and "these are not capacity problems." In fact, as of yesterday afternoon, 6,000 people had signed up for insurance through the health exchanges in the entire state of Washington. Oh... and that whole "unexpected ways" thing? Yeah, I'm sure the other programmers around here will back me up when I say: you mean to tell me you complete dipshits didn't bug-test the software? Because this sounds exactly like the kind of problem you get when too many un-handled errors are causing overflows. Like when you forgot that users can be complete and utter morons and put in a zip code instead of their last name, but the DB isn't set up to handle the entry of an integer for the last name field instead of a string.

PatrThom

PatrThom

this sounds exactly like the kind of problem you get when too many un-handled errors are causing overflows.
I hope they remembered to sanitize their inputs.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

bhamv3

bhamv3

I hope they remembered to sanitize their inputs.

--Patrick
Otherwise they're going to get a nasty surprise when Little Bobby Tables signs up for insurance?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Otherwise they're going to get a nasty surprise when Little Bobby Tables signs up for insurance?
Or when some enterprising soul decides to dump the entire table to disk for later perusal.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

jwhouk

jwhouk

...that's about it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Necronic

Necronic

Scientist: "Pipettes are disposable dumbass"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Banksy'd! (maybe)

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Banksy'd! (maybe)

--Patrick
Yeah, it's banksy. Still funny.

Still TBD: How Hanksy will turn it into a Tom Hanks tribute.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I just meant that I was going to post it, but you beat me to it.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

:(

PatrThom

PatrThom

Covar

Covar

Is that a custom sign? Jesus, just lock the gates and leave the regular close sign.

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

Is that a custom sign? Jesus, just lock the gates and leave the regular close sign.
The regular closed sign doesn't send a political message. The government wants people to be aware that things are not happening because of the government shutdown.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The regular closed sign doesn't send a political message. The government wants people to be aware that things are not happening because of the government shutdown.
Or you guys could be reading too much into it. That's probably the sign used whenever the zoo is closed during normal business hours, for maintenance or whatever reasons.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Or you guys could be reading too much into it. That's probably the sign used whenever the zoo is closed during normal business hours, for maintenance or whatever reasons.
"All Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo are closed today due to the government shutdown."

Yes, that's the sign they use whenever the zoo is closed during normal business hours.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

"All Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo are closed today due to the government shutdown."

Yes, that's the sign they use whenever the zoo is closed during normal business hours.
You know, I didn't even notice that one, so I retract my statement. I was looking at the big metal one.

Bowielee

Bowielee

merica.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

cuP11Wf.jpg

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

You've got to admit, that getting a nickel back is a lot more money than some people are getting out of the government at the moment.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

figmentPez

figmentPez

GasBandit

GasBandit

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Keep tellin' yourself that.

Tress

Tress

I'm sorry. Everything America does is wrong/stupid, and Europe is the bestest thing ever.

All better?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Keep tellin' yourself that.
U so jelly Finlind.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I'm sorry. Everything America does is wrong/stupid, and Europe is the bestest thing ever.

All better?
No need for that. There's a lot of crap going on in this side of the puddle as well.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Our sense of invincibility, manifest destiny and multiple attempts at global hegemony will be our downfall, though. The same things at some time could have been said about the British Empire, the Roman Empire, the Ottoman Empire, etc...

No superpower endures forever. My biggest fear is that the next superpower won't be actual countries, but multinational conglomerations.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My biggest fear is that the next superpower won't be actual countries, but multinational conglomerations.
That's not good. Chilling, in fact.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

Shit, this is hilarious. Aasif Mandvi is forgiven for being in the Last Airbender.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-23-2013/suppressing-the-vote

And a day later the dude is unceremoniously dumped from his position.

http://wlos.com/shared/news/feature...ily-show-sparks-local-controversy-13724.shtml

Terrik

Terrik

I really liked the interview with Krauthammer

GasBandit

GasBandit

Cards against Humanity gets a little too real, eh?

Krisken

Krisken

Shit, this is hilarious. Aasif Mandvi is forgiven for being in the Last Airbender.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-23-2013/suppressing-the-vote

And a day later the dude is unceremoniously dumped from his position.

http://wlos.com/shared/news/feature...ily-show-sparks-local-controversy-13724.shtml
Yeah, that segment was genius. I can't believe the guy just kept talking.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Christmas in October _ Zombie Nativity.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Krisken

Krisken

I don't even know where to begin.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The misanthropy thread is that way.

Edit: Looks like its a troll account

Krisken

Krisken

I figured it had to be. It's hard to take a statement like that and not assume it's intentionally offensive.

Tress

Tress

Classy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ya think?

--Patrick
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

GasBandit

GasBandit

How to mess with the squares:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

That poor, gay, homeless man.

Bowielee

Bowielee

To be fair, like a huge portion of the homeless population, he's probably mentally ill. Which puts him in the disabled category. Which is another discriminated against minority :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Good thing nobody mentioned "Black" Canary. Whew!

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Good thing nobody mentioned "Black" Canary. Whew!

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Terrik

Terrik

Covar

Covar

"Because you'll just be throwing your vote away!" Says the people who vote for candidates they don't like or believe in. :mad:

bhamv3

bhamv3

"Ok, we're going to start with a game called Let's Make an Election, in this game Chip's going to be a voter, and he has to pick a candidate, and the other three guys play the candidates, except we've given them all a strange quirk or identity, which is written on these cards, they've never seen the cards before. And, at the end, Chip has to guess who they are. So, when you're ready, take it away Chip."

chip.jpg

"Okay, candidate number one, as a strong independent woman, I treasure the right to make decisions about my body. Why don't you tell me about what kind of things you'd do to my body."

waynetext.jpg

"Your own decisions? Girl, you crazy? What makes you think you are CAPABLE of making your own decisions? How about we let your baby make the decisions, huh? I'll bet you're gonna start trying to take people's guns away next, aren't you?"

chip.jpg

"Ooh, firey rhetoric, I like that! Okay, candidate number two, same question?"

colintext.jpg

"Why, I agree you should have the right to decide, missy. That's your freedom, isn't it? This is a free country, isn't it? In fact, I'm going to write a law that says the government has to put armed guards around all women, to make sure they have their freedom! Of course, I'm not sure how we're going to pay for the armed guards, but we'll deal with that later."

chip.jpg

"Oooh, so you'll be bringing friends! Sounds saucy! Okay, candidate number three?"

ryantext.jpg

"I agree with everything they said, so why don't you just tell me what you want, and I'll tell you what you want to hear."

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

And the man from Taiwan wins the thread!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

PatrThom

PatrThom

World leaders could learn a lot from this guy.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

World leaders could learn a lot from this guy.

--Patrick
Another picture from yesterday

Pope prays and lays hands on a severely disfigured worshiper
(via 22 words)

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'm not a religious guy by any stretch of the imagination, but this guy imbodies everything I'd expect in a pope figure.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really do hope this guy sticks around for a good long time. He seems to know what he's doing, even if he still makes comments I occasionally disagree with.

Bowielee

Bowielee

He's way better than Pope Palpatine.

pope_palpatine_framed.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

Palpatine! You quit torturing Colm Meany this instant!

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

On the one hand, I can't shake the feeling that most of the good stuff we see Francis doing is just good PR.

On the other hand, I still can't help but applaud the good stuff he's doing.

Bubble181

Bubble181

On the one hand, I can't shake the feeling that most of the good stuff we see Francis doing is just good PR.

On the other hand, I still can't help but applaud the good stuff he's doing.
Of course it's pr, but it's also about setting an example. This guy's trying to act more like a catholic Dalai Lama figure instead of Evil Conservative Overlord. It's a better stance for the church, I feel.

PatrThom

PatrThom

From XKCD's What If? page on whether you could have a lawn so big that one person could never finish mowing all of it:

lawn_pope.png

--Patrick

Terrik

Terrik

jwhouk

jwhouk

Pretty much sums it up right there.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

They forgot all the schmucks who get their "news" from the Daily Show. They exist. I have sadly heard plenty of folks on campus to proclaim that the Daily Show is a news show.

Krisken

Krisken

Right? How can you understand TDS without knowing the current events?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, by learning to swim as a kid, I forever alleviated my need for prophylactics? Is that what I take home from this?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fun fact, a live preserver almost got me killed one year while white water rafting. Fell out of the boat, came up under it. Life preserver wanted to hold me there. Fortunately it was a large rubber raft (instead of a wood or metal boat), so when I rammed into it headfirst as the life jacket tried to force me to the surface, I DIDN'T brain myself on the underside.

Ended up kinda.. upside-down-bouncing my way out from under the raft.

PS. The Arkansas river is colder than a welldigger's ass in January, in Colorado. It was literally snow 15 minutes ago.

Covar

Covar

Because death is equivalent to pregnancy. Also going into the water without protection results in death 25% of the time.
My take away was that if you find yourself pregnant you should throw yourself in the lake, because having a kid is a living death anyway.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

. . . because having a kid is a living death anyway.
So does that mean @stienman is an undead cat then? :confused:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Oh, Canada. All three Canadian wireless providers released a promotional campaign. Spot any similarities?

CRTC protection from competition leading to price fixing? Who'da thunkit.

Frank

Frank

Most Canadians are fully aware of how awful the CRTC is.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

PS. The Arkansas river is colder than a welldigger's ass in January, in Colorado. It was literally snow 15 minutes ago.
Damn. It was cold in June. I can't imagine how cold it was in Jan. We talked our guide into hitting some of the bigger rapids and it flung everyone out of the boat except the guide, me, and my cousin. All the guide kept saying was, "Shit, shit, shit, shit..." while he paddled and we pulled everyone else back in. Fun times!

Eriol

Eriol

Oh, Canada. All three Canadian wireless providers released a promotional campaign. Spot any similarities?

CRTC protection from competition leading to price fixing? Who'da thunkit.
I don't know which provider the 1st is, but remember, there's really only 3 companies in Canada: Telus, Bell, and Rogers. In those adds it's probably Rogers via colors (red is their thing), Koodo (Telus) and Fido which is just Rogers again!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Damn. It was cold in June. I can't imagine how cold it was in Jan. We talked our guide into hitting some of the bigger rapids and it flung everyone out of the boat except the guide, me, and my cousin. All the guide kept saying was, "Shit, shit, shit, shit..." while he paddled and we pulled everyone else back in. Fun times!
Oh no, this was June as well. I meant it was colder than "A well-digger's ass would be in January" not that I went rafting in January. I'm pretty sure all the rafting companies close up shop before then, and the Arkansas shrinks to creek-level flows because all the water's staying frozen.

What section did you raft? I used to routinely do Brown's Canyon, the Royal Gorge, and the Numbers. Occasionally we went down to Taos and did some rafting there, too.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Oh no, this was June as well. I meant it was colder than "A well-digger's ass would be in January" not that I went rafting in January. I'm pretty sure all the rafting companies close up shop before then, and the Arkansas shrinks to creek-level flows because all the water's staying frozen.

What section did you raft? I used to routinely do Brown's Canyon, the Royal Gorge, and the Numbers. Occasionally we went down to Taos and did some rafting there, too.
I've only rafted once. I'll have to look it up. It wasn't the Gorge. I am hoping to do that someday. It looked like a lot of fun when we visited.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Rob Ford!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Rob Ford!

That guy is almost as much of a live cartoon character as Boris Johnson is.

GasBandit

GasBandit

That guy is almost as much of a live cartoon character as Boris Johnson is.
It takes a special kind of brain damage to announce into 17 microphones on international TV that you aren't eating someone's pussy.

Frank

Frank

He is a giant baby.

This photo is not retouched in ANY way. This is something he did in public.

Krisken

Krisken

Our real life Tommy Boy.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Would not be surprised at all if he actually ate (or smoked) paint chips as a kid.

Frank

Frank

This isn't actually funny, but I'm posting it anyway.

Leave it to SNL to make a subject less funny than what was actually going on. Stereo-typical Canadian accents! HILARIOUS!

The real guy talked about eating pussy directly to dozens of reporters. He off the cuffed funnier dialog than that entire skit.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

... and now I'm kinda sad because this role would have been perfect for Chris Farley, except he ODed back in the 90's like virtually every other funny fat guy.

Bowielee

Bowielee

... and now I'm kinda sad because this role would have been perfect for Chris Farley, except he ODed back in the 90's like virtually every other funny fat guy.
Spoilered for extremely bad taste.

deathsoon.jpg

I'm totally going to hell.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm surprised Jack Black has lasted as long as he has, especially with his career on a downturn due to bad movie projects. I mean, he's always going to have Kung-Fu Panda but Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny flopped and he's only done what... one movie since? Gulliver's Travels was terrible. Maybe he's doing alright because he's touring with Kyle Glass still?

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I'm surprised Jack Black has lasted as long as he has, especially with his career on a downturn due to bad movie projects. I mean, he's always going to have Kung-Fu Panda but Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny flopped and he's only done what... one movie since? Gulliver's Travels was terrible. Maybe he's doing alright because he's touring with Kyle Glass still?
Actually he's won alot of accolades for his recent portraly in Bernie.

Frank

Frank

Funnier video than the SNL one, the CNN interview with Ford.

Krisken

Krisken

Huh. After watching that, I'm swaying to his side, and that might say more about CNN than Rob Ford.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hey wait, that's not funny.

Eriol

Eriol

Huh. After watching that, I'm swaying to his side, and that might say more about CNN than Rob Ford.
You know Krisken, I wasn't even going to click the video until your comment came along, and I gotta say that I agree with you. I can see why he's a successful politician (defined as somebody relatively high-profile who wins elections, as opposed to a backbencher or something who is riding the party line to get in, but nobody cares who they are), as he comes off as absolutely genuine. To a scary degree actually. It's not the first time I've experienced it, as I've met (and I mean talked with, not a quick handshake) at least one former Premier of a province (think Governor for you USA folks), and he came off very very similarly in terms of making you believe every word coming out of his mouth on a personal level.

The downtown versus suburb divide is also fascinating here. People often talk about such when taking about urban/rural, so it's interesting to see it happening here on a different scale.

As for the issue itself, the media circus over this is telling, especially given the "Ya I smoke Pot" attitude of Justin Trudeau. Both it and crack are illegal. Now I agree crack is the more serious thing, but the focus on "it was illegal" and such here, whereas basically celebrating "St. Justin" for his views... it shows it's about more than mere illegality of drugs. There is bias coming out the *** of the Canadian media. They like Justin, they don't like Rob. And hence why it's dominating. It'll be interesting to see what happens if Rob wins another election. What happens then? They're stripping him of his powers because... they don't like him? What has he done that's been mis-management of the city? If he has, boot him out, but doing so because you don't like him? This isn't even like lying under oath (Clinton) which is also serious.

Personally, I'll admit I kind of like seeing Toronto implode, as I'm not from there and like seeing them taken down a peg. But the "why is this such a big deal" thing is the real story here IMO.

Man that post rambled from one place to another. Oh well.

Shakey

Shakey

As for the issue itself, the media circus over this is telling, especially given the "Ya I smoke Pot" attitude of Justin Trudeau. Both it and crack are illegal. Now I agree crack is the more serious thing, but the focus on "it was illegal" and such here, whereas basically celebrating "St. Justin" for his views... it shows it's about more than mere illegality of drugs.
I'm not real up on any of this, but I think it's more about the view of the drug being used. Pot is becoming more socially acceptable than it has been, and a good chunk of people don't think it's any worse than drinking. People are generally pretty forgiving about marijuana use.
Crack on the other hand is seen as a drug used only by criminals and junkies. It has no real redeeming qualities. It's highly addictive and does nothing but ruin lives.

You might as well compare it to an elected official getting a speeding ticket. Speeding is illegal too, but it's not something that someone needs to be booted out of office for.

Eriol

Eriol

You might as well compare it to an elected official getting a speeding ticket. Speeding is illegal too, but it's not something that someone needs to be booted out of office for.
I agree actually. Make it so that "if you commit a felony while in office, you're out." Fine. Sounds good. Even standard.

But that's not what it is. It's not about the act itself. It's "we don't like this person, so if they do anything that we'll forgive the guy we DO like for, we'll crucify him for it."

Shakey

Shakey

I agree actually. Make it so that "if you commit a felony while in office, you're out." Fine. Sounds good. Even standard.

But that's not what it is. It's not about the act itself. It's "we don't like this person, so if they do anything that we'll forgive the guy we DO like for, we'll crucify him for it."
They didn't do the same thing though did they? Smoking crack and smoking pot is a bit different.

Eriol

Eriol

They didn't do the same thing though did they? Smoking crack and smoking pot is a bit different.
Both are felonies though, and represent something more: we're tolerant of things that "we think shouldn't be crimes." IMO it should be much more black-and-white: if it shouldn't be a crime, then work to get it legalized, but don't do it in the meantime either. If it is a crime, prosecute. The current state where it can be "decided" to prosecute or not is a very very bad thing. It allows political retaliation by the powerful on the threat of something looming. And many many other abuses. Crimes should never be "oh it's OK, we only go after the really bad people with this law." If it can ever be applied at the whim of those in power, it's a horrific law.

So yes, I agree they're different. Should smoking pot be legal? Maybe it should, and I'd be willing to engage in such a debate (and probably for making it legal), but right now, it's a felony (not just a fine like speeding), and so it should be treated the same as smoking crack. No matter who's doing it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

NANNY STATE

Covar

Covar

Name brand crackers? Fancy. Those must certainly be more nutritious than the potatoes.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Looks like it is a policy set by the child care facility and not by the MCCA. At least, the MCCAA says they want nothing to do with this news story: http://www.mccahouse.org/

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

low be to the diabetic kid on a low carb diet.

PatrThom

PatrThom

NANNY STATE
Yeah, that was quite the conversation piece over the dinner table here at home.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

NANNY STATE
That's not funny at all.

Also, what kind of idiot doesn't recognize white potato as a starch that should be included with grains?

Oh, the USDA. They're also stupid enough to put corn in with vegetables. This is why I don't trust the government to dictate what I eat. They're too busy playing politics and trying to appease everyone.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Whoever wrote that note should be charged for that absurd font. $1 per character, bitches.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

The Canada Food Guide is a joke. The school my sister sends my niece to has a similar lunch policy, which I think is ludicrous, and what I think is more ludicrous is that my sister is a defender of this policy![DOUBLEPOST=1384979171,1384978980][/DOUBLEPOST]
Whoever wrote that note should be charged for that absurd font. $1 per character, bitches.
Seriously, all elementary schools/day cares seem to use this font on things. Is it supposed to make us more forgiving of the stupid content? "Well, it's outrageous that they're fining me $10 for crackers, but on the other hand, they're clearly idiots anyway, so I guess I'm not mad."

Covar

Covar

That's not funny at all.

Also, what kind of idiot doesn't recognize white potato as a starch that should be included with grains?

Oh, the USDA. They're also stupid enough to put corn in with vegetables. This is why I don't trust the government to dictate what I eat. They're too busy playing politics and trying to appease everyone.
psst, it's from a Canadian school.

figmentPez

figmentPez

psst, it's from a Canadian school.
Yeah, I know. I'd just already typed up the rant when I realized, and I'm feeling lazy today.

evilmike

evilmike

Another picture from yesterday

Pope prays and lays hands on a severely disfigured worshiper
(via 22 words)
Background on the worshiper in the picture.

Vinicio, accustomed to stares of shock and fear, was initially confused by the pontiff’s lack of hesitation. “He didn’t have any fear of my illness,” he said. “He embraced me without speaking …"

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Bowielee

Bowielee

They should have also made Judas disfigured, because we all know from every piece of media from books to movies that ugly=evil.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They should have also made Judas disfigured, because we all know from every piece of media from books to movies that ugly=evil.
Or black. Because racism.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Well, technically, they should all be black, or at the very least brown :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

Well, technically, they should all be black, or at the very least brown :p
Dude, you can't say that. You have to call them African American.
:trolol:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

One Charlie around here is more than enough, TYVM.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

One Charlie around here is more than enough, TYVM.
Actually he had a hissy fit and left during the movie thread. He even posted a goodbye thread but it got deleted by the mods.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Actually he had a hissy fit and left during the movie thread. He even posted a goodbye thread but it got deleted by the mods.
What, again? :facepalm:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

drifter

drifter

I dunno about any good bye thread, but Charlie's still around as far as I can tell.

Bowielee

Bowielee

His only post since the move thread was "ugh" in the NR thread. According to his profile, he hasn't been back since.

drifter

drifter

Right, so he's still probably around. That weird kerfuffle in the movie thread was almost a month ago. The NR thread was just last week.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

What, again? :facepalm:
But of course, it's part of the cycle.

Right, so he's still probably around. That weird kerfuffle in the movie thread was almost a month ago. The NR thread was just last week.
There was a goodbye thread, pretty much calling everyone who called him on his shit assholes etc. It was even in all caps. Really wish I would have print screened it but contrast to popular belief, my life doesn't revolve around Charlie. (He says as he was the first one to post in the goodbye thread with the phrase -Oh sure, this'll last-) :rofl:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Aw, I missed the drama.

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

I never even noticed. Huh.

Tress

Tress

I just went to the movie thread and caught up on the Charlie situation.

Wow. You guys got rid of Charlie (if only for a while). I feel bad now, Halforums... I didn't get you anything!

Covar

Covar

Aw, I missed the drama.

--Patrick
You didn't miss anything. Charlie was being an antagonizing asshole, 100% in the wrong and wouldn't let things go. Frankly I was surprised he wasn't banned for it.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He'll be back.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I've seriously often wondered sometimes if he wasn't really an alt of GB to make all liberals seem like extremist nutbags. Strawman by proxy, so to speak.

Necronic

Necronic

Ugh, that thread made me lose a lot of respect for this forum. Seriously, if you guys think Charlie looks like the dick in that thread you really have been drinking too much of the kool-aid.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Ugh, that thread made me lose a lot of respect for this forum. Seriously, if you guys think Charlie looks like the dick in that thread you really have been drinking too much of the kool-aid.
When the majority of people see that your opinion is wrong, sometimes, though not always, means your opinion might be wrong.

Necronic

Necronic

That sounds like a good a justification for mob mentality, which is all I saw there. But v0v, you have your choral approval, and apparently that's what some of you need.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

That sounds like a good a justification for mob mentality, which is all I saw there. But v0v, you have your choral approval, and apparently that's what some of you need.
Sometimes its mob mentality. Sometimes its being on the right side of the situation. Whichever you want to call it is fine. It's all a matter of perspective, but when one party specfically asks you to stop because it's emotionally painful during an emotionally weak time, the morally right thing to do is apologize and stop. Not continue to make it worse. If you can't see that as wrong, well then I think which side of the coin you're on.

Necronic

Necronic

If I thought that what you guys did was about standing up for TNG then maybe I would buy that. But that wasn't about doing something nice for Nick. That was about jumping at an oppurtunity to shit on Charlie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Charlie didn't leave because of what I or anyone else said to him; he left because he got thread-banned. If he could've kept arguing, he would have done so and he would've loved it. That's how he is. It's why he didn't stop of his own volition. He doesn't know how. I thought he had learned, but I was wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1386014836,1386014719][/DOUBLEPOST]
If I thought that what you guys did was about standing up for TNG then maybe I would buy that. But that wasn't about doing something nice for Nick. That was about jumping at an oppurtunity to shit on Charlie.
You can think what you want, but I talk with Nick and know him. I also know what he's going through because I've seen my wife go through it, and the effect that people who acted the way Charlie did can have when a depressed person can grab onto one fragile and fleeting bit of positivity. They make easy targets and that's what Charlie was doing.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Aw, I missed the drama.
Oh, wait. I did see that, I just didn't see the farewell thread.
if you guys think Charlie looks like the dick in that thread you really have been drinking too much of the kool-aid.
We give Charlie a lot of shit, mostly because he gives us a lot of shit. But I have to agree with Necronic on this one. I think the general response was disproportionate to the stimulus, as though it was supplemented by leftover hostility from other threads.

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

PatrThom said:
I think the general response was disproportionate to the stimulus, as though it was supplemented by leftover hostility from other threads.

--Patrick
Of that, I have no doubt. But I don't see why each thread should be treated as wholly separate from the others. Charlie is an ass oftentimes, and that history/reputation leads to people having a low threshold for his bullshit. That is entirely a mess of his own making. I'm not going to shed a tear if the guy who is usually annoying, rude, and condescending decided to leave when people didn't respond nicely to him.

Then again, Zero had it right: he left because a mod gave him a time out, not because forumites were hard on him.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Perhaps the level of hostility towards him was disproportionate, but this was not about giving Charlie shit, at least not on my count, and if I recall correctly, I was probably the one being the most hostile. I don't get defensive when Charlie is picking on most of us or trying to get people pissed off. Most of the time he comes across as a cartoon character drawn by a right-wing political cartoonist to scare conservatives into action.

But the truth is that each of us on this forum is a real person. Charlie's target is a real person who had just come off a depressive episode and recovering from a suicide attempt. Charlie is a real person and should've dropped it.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Or black. Because racism.

I'm re-railing this thread with this response.

Necronic

Necronic

Thanks, sorry about that. Back to your regularly scheduled viewing. Here's a picture of Jan Brewer being evil.

http://www.opposingviews.com/sites/...agecache/300x250/featured_image/JanBrewer.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't see why each thread should be treated as wholly separate from the others.
Agreed. I guess I expected people would've bled off their frustration elsewhere rather than saving it up and then exploding all at once. Pressures are getting high what with holidays and recent events, so I suppose that explains a lot.

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:facepalm:

Bowielee

Bowielee

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

PatrThom

PatrThom

I didn't want to ruin the Lego Movie thread with this, and this was the 2nd best choice.

LEGO MOVIE USED AS CORPORATE SHILL TO PUSH...

…Anti-business agendum? What did I just watch?

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I didn't want to ruin the Lego Movie thread with this, and this was the 2nd best choice.

LEGO MOVIE USED AS CORPORATE SHILL TO PUSH...

…Anti-business agendum? What did I just watch?

--Patrick
I remember when they did this with the Muppets. Not enough eyerolls in the world.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bowielee

Bowielee

Mathias

Mathias

I remember when they did this with the Muppets. Not enough eyerolls in the world.

I.. they... you can't... it wasn't...

ugh... Fox...

PatrThom

PatrThom

ugh... Fox...

Story:
Granted, it was an affiliate and not the network itself, but still...:rolleyes:

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

Wow.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Beyonce is just stupid through and through. All her songs are contradictory and actually push back female empowerment.

Oh god... is that what it feels like to be Charlie... I'm going to go and bleach my brain.

Honestly though, I can't stand her as an entertainer or as a person.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Beyonce is just stupid through and through. All her songs are contradictory and actually push back female empowerment.

Oh god... is that what it feels like to be Charlie... I'm going to go and bleach my brain.

Woah, did you not hear her song where she shows that she's a strong, independent, woman who don't need no man?

Dirona

Dirona

I'm Canadian so the 'ban bossy' thing isn't up here, but isn't it just an alliterative title (albit poorly choosen perhaps) for a program that aims at having adults not bully little girls who stand up for themselves? Like how young girls are signifigantly less likely to take on leadership roles and are consistently silenced, while boys are encourage to stand up and take the lead? So when a girl says 'we're doing x' she's called 'bossy' and basically shut down, whereas when a boy does the same thing it's accepted and priased? I can hunt down sorces if you insist, but really, the whole whining about a movement aimed at stopping people silencing (some say bullying, I'm not convinced, yes I know I used the term ealrier) little girls seems extraordinarily petty. Ther term may be sexless, but the application is far from that.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Granted, it's been a while... but my experience was girls were called "bossy" because it was gentler than what the boys got called - and believe you me, it wasn't praise.

But in any case, if they want to encourage girls (and women) into leadership/being assertive, this is not the most effective way to do it, to put it mildly.

Also, from an article on the subject - there are far worse words maybe we should look at first:

"Turn on the radio. Popular music is replete with the words bitch or trick … both of which, by the way, can be found in “Ban Bossy” spokeswoman Beyonce’s song “Bow Down.” (Quite a bossy title, if you ask me.)"

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm Canadian so the 'ban bossy' thing isn't up here, but isn't it just an alliterative title (albit poorly choosen perhaps) for a program that aims at having adults not bully little girls who stand up for themselves? Like how young girls are signifigantly less likely to take on leadership roles and are consistently silenced, while boys are encourage to stand up and take the lead? So when a girl says 'we're doing x' she's called 'bossy' and basically shut down, whereas when a boy does the same thing it's accepted and priased? I can hunt down sorces if you insist, but really, the whole whining about a movement aimed at stopping people silencing (some say bullying, I'm not convinced, yes I know I used the term ealrier) little girls seems extraordinarily petty. Ther term may be sexless, but the application is far from that.
I think a good point was made in an article that said it shouldn't be about not using words (another one will crop up anyway), but about removing the stigma from 'bossy'. Nonetheless, "bossy" children are problematic in their own ways, at home especially; for instance my niece has taken to trying to run all conversations and lecture any other kids. Katie (my sister; her mom) does tell her not to be "bossy" but I've usually gone with "so-and-so already has a parent."

Bowielee

Bowielee

"I'm taking it back!"

Terrik

Terrik

1948108_645987982115208_1346787856_n.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Zappit

Zappit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey, there's nothing preventing the Creationists from making their own series and then airing it on PBS.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

no don't worry, you're completely and utterly wrong still and always. Beyonce owns.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

no don't worry, you're completely and utterly wrong still and always. Beyonce owns.

Frank

Frank

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

surfboart

Tress

Tress

For you, @GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

YOU'RE ALL SOCIALISTS

PatrThom

PatrThom

YOU'RE ALL SOCIALISTS
Unknown-1.jpeg

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

YOU get free health care, YOU get free health care, YOU'RE ALL GETTING FREE HEALTH CAAAAAARE!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

YOU get free health care, YOU get free health care, YOU'RE ALL GETTING FREE HEALTH CAAAAAARE!
kermityay.gif

GasBandit

GasBandit