Funny (political, religious) pictures

Especially since the fucking Oiler's arena in Edmonton is called Rogers Place.

FUCK OFF ROGERS.

OH FUNNY PICACHUR!

Pet peeve: annotations on images or videos that tell me what I should think about it.[DOUBLEPOST=1494358198,1494357989][/DOUBLEPOST]Second (related) pet peeve: blurry letterboxing on the sides of vertical videos. Thank you for decreasing the resolution of the original video while tripling the file size. Bonus points for those who watch said vertical-converted-to-horizontal videos on a vertical phone.

Teh Donald is threatening Comey with the possible existence of "tapes." The FBI is exactly the wrong organization you want to try to bully with something like that. I guaran-fucking-tee you that for every tape Trump may or may not have, the FBI has a shipping container full of him.

If the FBI goes "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED," whatever Congress tries to do to stall it will be irrelevant. It's Game Over. (Oh man, I sure hope so.)

But Comey isn't the FBI anymmore.
Doesn't matter. Others have picked up the baton. The investigation continues with or without Comey.

Trump had planned to make a visit to FBI headquarters this weekend, but that was canceled after he was informed he would definitely not be greeted warmly.

Teh Donald is threatening Comey with the possible existence of "tapes." The FBI is exactly the wrong organization you want to try to bully with something like that. I guaran-fucking-tee you that for every tape Trump may or may not have, the FBI has a shipping container full of him.

If the FBI goes "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED," whatever Congress tries to do to stall it will be irrelevant. It's Game Over. (Oh man, I sure hope so.)
Keeping tapes... It's like he's never heard of Richard Nixon (he probably hasn't)

He's being willfully misquoted as click bait. The millionaire in question was asked why he thought Millennials weren't buying homes at the same rate as their predecessors. He replied that Millennials have a desire to spend their extra cash (after bills) on luxuries instead of saving it up. As a list of examples he mentioned getting $4 coffee from Starbucks 4 times a week, vacations in Europe every summer, and spending money on pricey produce like avocados for avocado toast.

And you know what? He's not wrong.

But every website knew that if they made it sound like he blamed low home ownership rates exclusively on avocado toast, then people would get pissy and click on the article. And the mob proved them right.

He's being willfully misquoted as click bait. The millionaire in question was asked why he thought Millennials weren't buying homes at the same rate as their predecessors. He replied that Millennials have a desire to spend their extra cash (after bills) on luxuries instead of saving it up. As a list of examples he mentioned getting $4 coffee from Starbucks 4 times a week, vacations in Europe every summer, and spending money on pricey produce like avocados for avocado toast.

And you know what? He's not wrong.
Ah yes, if you just forgo 16$ cofees every week, you'll be able to afford a brand new house in no time... 60 is the new 20 anyway, amirite...

fade

Staff member
A quick counter to this is that our parent's generation was able to experiment with gastric pleasures and still afford a house. "Tough noogies" as an argument tends to rub people the wrong way.

Also, it's kind of fucked up to tell people to just sacrifice more when you're likely flying in private jets and own several houses...

Then again, he could probably buy a house with the money he'd save if he doesn't eat fancy caviar for a few weeks, or even 1 vacation in Europe for the places he'd be able to afford.

Ah yes, if you just forgo 16$ cofees every week, you'll be able to afford a brand new house in no time... 60 is the new 20 anyway, amirite...
You're doing it too. The coffee alone adds up to over $800 dollars a year. If you combine that with other spending, it begins to add up.

Thanks for proving my point.
Also, it's kind of fucked up to tell people to just sacrifice more when you're likely flying in private jets and own several houses...

Then again, he could probably buy a house with the money he'd save if he doesn't eat fancy caviar for a few weeks, or even 1 vacation in Europe for the places he'd be able to afford.
You can't be that dense, can you?

What he actually said is: "When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn't buying smashed avocado for $19 and four coffees at $4 each".
Which may or may not be the reason millenials can't afford to own property, but is quite rich (heh) coming from him, who bought his first property when he was NINETEEN. It definitely isn't what makes him different from most other people. No, the actual difference is the money he borrowed from his grandad to buy a gym. So no avocados here.

'Live frugally and save up' is definitely good advice. But rich people DO NOT get to say 'look, I became rich because I lived frugally' or 'you just need to work hard'*. Fuck you, asshole.

*OTOH, everyone overestimates how much of their success is their own merit and underestimates how much of it is luck or helpful environmental conditions. Like that experiment with the rigged game of monopoly.

GasBandit

Staff member
The economy's had a rough time since 2008, and the Keynesian shell game that followed that slowed the recovery immensely, but there were poor people before 2008, too - and there's something I used to say a lot back then - some people are programmed to be poor. You take away a rich man's savings, and check on him again in 5 years, he'll be rich again. You give a poor man a million dollars, and check on him again in 5 years, he'll be broke again.

There is definitely a pattern in spending choices. There are a lot of people who think that the more money they have, they more they can indulge themselves in spending, when what they should be doing is saving or investing. A $4 coffee every day adds up, and it's also representative of a hundred other little single digit dollar decisions that get made every day and every week. And then, of course, these same people will suddenly blow their whole wad once they manage to get their savings above some magic threshold. "Oh, I've saved $5000, I don't usually have $5000, time to buy a 4k TV - the best one I can find!"

This is what I meant when I would say "Poverty is, outside of genuine bona-fide acts of god, usually a mental illness."

some people are programmed to be poor.
Yeah, and that's why we should have never left feudalism...

You're doing it too. The coffee alone adds up to over $800 dollars a year. If you combine that with other spending, it begins to add up.
Oh yeah, so in about 20 to 40 years you can buy a house (in some out of the way neighbourhood)... if inflation didn't exist.

Not in Australia though: https://www.livingin-australia.com/australian-house-prices/ unless you're one of those people that live past 100.

You can't be that dense, can you?
What, unlike the millionaire guy, i can't afford to be dense now?