Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Rush also bitches that the NFL is a left wing organization, ignoring that NFL owners gave substantially more to GOP than to Democrats.[/QUOTE]

And then he blames Obama. :facepalm:

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

And in case it got missed in the DADT thread amidst all the other carrying on...

Fox couldn't be bothered to point a camera out the window to cover the gay march, yet they send a satellite truck to cover an empty sidewalk in NJ.

Remember all that hand-winging on Fox about "the media" not covering their publicity stunt on 9/12? See what they do when actual news breaks out.

Par for the course, man.

It's the government's fault that a private corporation made a private decision not to sell to a guy they consider divisive.

A

Armadillo

Par for the course, man.

It's the government's fault that a private corporation made a private decision not to sell to a guy they consider divisive.
Not the government's fault, NFL is a private organization, free association, all things I agree with.

It does bother me a little bit that one of the main talking points and reasons to drop Rush from the bid was a "quote" from Limbaugh that he in fact never said. I believe it was something along the lines of "Slavery had it's good points."

EDIT: found the "quote":

"I mean, let's face it, we didn't have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: Slavery built the South. I'm not saying we should bring it back. I'm just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark."
This link explains how some of these quotes attributed to Limbaugh came into being:

Urban Legends: Limbaugh Slavery Quote is Bogus

The earliest attributions anyone has been able to find cropped up in a series of anonymous edits to the Rush Limbaugh Wikiquote page in July 2005 — about a year before Huberman's book came out.

Thanks to Wikiquote's "History" feature, every edit ever made can be isolated and tracked. The slavery quote, for example, first appears at 5:53 a.m. on July 20, 2005.

In any case, all three entries were repeatedly challenged, removed, and reposted over the next few months, and finallydeleted for good on October 13, 2005 with the notation, "Removed fake quotes, including paraphrased Hitler quote."

A year later, two of them turned up in Jack Huberman's book.

Three years after that, the same two quotes reappeared on the Rush Limbaugh Wikiquote page, now labeled "sourced." Can you guess who the "source" was? That's right: Jack Huberman, in 101 People Who Are Really Screwing America.

If, as appears to be the case, Huberman originally came across the statements on Wikiquote (or even in some secondary source citing Wikiquote), the history of their sourcing is perfectly circular and Huberman isn't a credible source himself.
If the NFL doesn't want to associate with Limbaugh because he's a polarizing figure, that's fine. For him to be dropped from the bid because of words attributed to him that he never said is completely unfair and shows complete cowardice on the part of the bidding group.

EDIT 2: It's worth mentioning that one of the media outlets that used the fake quotes as evidence of Limbaugh's racism was CNN, the same outlet that fact-checked the SNL skit about Obama.

If the NFL doesn't want to associate with Limbaugh because he's a polarizing figure, that's fine. For him to be dropped from the bid because of words attributed to him that he never said is completely unfair and shows complete cowardice on the part of the bidding group.
Oh, I quite agree. It's totally unfair to have something attributed to you that isn't.

It's also not like there's a shortage of recent and verifiable quotes, for that matter.

But the self-righteous victim-hood by the right-wing blogosphere is insane. Because the NFL not wanting to sell to Rush is exactly like the Holocaust. :eek:rly:

"Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

"Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

"Take that bone out of your nose and call me back."

"I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve."
Rush Limbaugh

Go ahead and check Snopes. Those are the ones that either have been admitted to or have audio clips of him saying it. But you're right, he's a swell guy and it's just politics. /snark

A

Armadillo

"Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

"Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

"I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve."
Rush Limbaugh

Go ahead and check Snopes. Those are the ones that either have been admitted to or have audio clips of him saying it. But you're right, he's a swell guy and it's just politics. /snark
All or nothing...I say it's unfair to drop him because of false quotes, and you go right to assuming I'm a Limbaugh water-carrier and think he's a "swell guy." So because you don't like him and he's said some controversial things, it's perfectly OK to falsely smear him?

Rush Limbaugh

All or nothing...I say it's unfair to drop him because of false quotes, and you go right to assuming I'm a Limbaugh water-carrier and think he's a "swell guy." So because you don't like him and he's said some controversial things, it's perfectly OK to falsely smear him?[/QUOTE]
I didn't say that and you know it. Stop trying to dismiss the awful things he's said by pointing out things wrongly attributed to him. The stuff I quoted he actually said.

Rush Limbaugh

All or nothing...I say it's unfair to drop him because of false quotes, and you go right to assuming I'm a Limbaugh water-carrier and think he's a "swell guy." So because you don't like him and he's said some controversial things, it's perfectly OK to falsely smear him?[/QUOTE]

CNN did, reporter pulled the Dan Rather defense. "Doesn't matter if it's not true, the point still stands"

how is that racist? McNabb was an overrated Quarterback.

A

Armadillo

Rush Limbaugh

I didn't say that and you know it. Stop trying to dismiss the awful things he's said by pointing out things wrongly attributed to him. The stuff I quoted he actually said.[/QUOTE]

I'm not "dismissing" anything. I also don't see anything "awful" in the quotes you posted; one is a shot at Jesse Jackson, who deserves every ounce of flak he catches, the hypocritical shit. The "bone in the nose" does look bad, but I'd like to see some context before I pass final judgement, and the McNabb thing has been done to death. He was going after the media, not McNabb. Just because race is brought up in a discussion does not make it racism.

A

Armadillo

Edit function's acting all jinky today, so sorry for the DP.

I realize I missed the "bloods v. crips" quote. Putting those in a contrasting color would be helpful.

What the hell does that even mean?

See, if that's not good enough for you, then nothing will be short of a Reverend Wright break down. Excuses are like rectums. Everyone has one.

I realize I missed the "bloods v. crips" quote. Putting those in a contrasting color would be helpful.

The Bloods and The Crips are gangs, Armadillo.

A

Armadillo

The Bloods and The Crips are gangs, Armadillo.[/QUOTE]

Gee, thanks. And?

I don't get what black people and gangs have to do with each other. You see, anyone who links the two are racists.

Gee, thanks. And?

I don't get what black people and gangs have to do with each other. You see, anyone who links the two are racists.[/QUOTE]
remember racist Rush is responsible for releasing the racist "Barack the Magic Negro." he totally crossed the line by quoting the LA Times and Joe Biden.

A

Armadillo

Gee, thanks. And?

I don't get what black people and gangs have to do with each other. You see, anyone who links the two are racists.[/QUOTE]
remember racist Rush is responsible for releasing the racist "Barack the Magic Negro." he totally crossed the line by quoting the LA Times and Joe Biden.[/QUOTE]

Yes, quite true. I had not fully considered that. *smokes pipe*

A

Armadillo

Man, you guys are impossible. I don't have enough facepalm to answer you both.
OK, let me get out of "obtuse smartass" mode:

You used the term "awful" to describe those quotes. The only one I see that gets close is the "bone in the nose" comment, and I said I wanted context. Taking quotes out of context is a common way to attack someone, and oftentimes the message changes considerably when the context is revealed. With the gangs, if you're going to make a reference to the "gang lifestyle" that everyone will get, you're going to use the Bloods and the Crips, because they're the most widely-known gangs. He could have said the Latin Kings and the Vatos Locos, and the point would have been the same, but not as many people would have gotten it. The racial implication comes from the critics of the quote, not Limbaugh, who never mentioned race.

Jesse Jackson: again, the "racism" comes from the critics, who (I guess) think he meant that all black people look alike. Well, there's two problems with that: not all wanted posters feature black people, and again, HE NEVER MENTIONED RACE.

McNabb: again, done to death.

You used the term "awful" to describe those quotes. The only one I see that gets close is the "bone in the nose" comment, and I said I wanted context. Taking quotes out of context is a common way to attack someone, and oftentimes the message changes considerably when the context is revealed. With the gangs, if you're going to make a reference to the "gang lifestyle" that everyone will get, you're going to use the Bloods and the Crips, because they're the most widely-known gangs. He could have said the Latin Kings and the Vatos Locos, and the point would have been the same, but not as many people would have gotten it. The racial implication comes from the critics of the quote, not Limbaugh, who never mentioned race.

Jesse Jackson: again, the "racism" comes from the critics, who (I guess) think he meant that all black people look alike. Well, there's two problems with that: not all wanted posters feature black people, and again, HE NEVER MENTIONED RACE.

McNabb: again, done to death.[/QUOTE]
Keep rolling with that, then. I disagree that someone has to say "black" or "race" in order for a comment to be racist. Rush is smart. He knows what he is saying and what people will take out of it. I maintain it's intentional.

A

Armadillo

Keep rolling with that, then. I disagree that someone has to say "black" or "race" in order for a comment to be racist. Rush is smart. He knows what he is saying and what people will take out of it. I maintain it's intentional.[/QUOTE]

How can a comment be "racist" if race is never mentioned? That's a pretty basic definition, and if you want to go down the road of "implied racism," well holy hell that's going to get awfully messy awfully fast.

There are those who see implied racism whenever someone criticizes the President or when a black head coach gets fired, despite the reasoning used.

Keep rolling with that, then. I disagree that someone has to say "black" or "race" in order for a comment to be racist. Rush is smart. He knows what he is saying and what people will take out of it. I maintain it's intentional.[/QUOTE]

How can a comment be "racist" if race is never mentioned? That's a pretty basic definition, and if you want to go down the road of "implied racism," well holy hell that's going to get awfully messy awfully fast.

There are those who see implied racism whenever someone criticizes the President or when a black head coach gets fired, despite the reasoning used.[/QUOTE]

Well according to Krisken anyone who criticizes Obama is a Racist because they never explicitly stated that they're not racist.

There are those who see implied racism whenever someone criticizes the President or when a black head coach gets fired, despite the reasoning used.
Aaaaaand I disagree with that. That's how the world works though. Funny how hundreds of years of oppressive history can do that to someone.

Not saying it is right, I'm saying it is understandable that some come to that conclusion. I'll happily disagree when someone puts forth a case I don't think is racism (and have in the past).

A

Armadillo

Aaaaaand I disagree with that. That's how the world works though. Funny how hundreds of years of oppressive history can do that to someone.

Not saying it is right, I'm saying it is understandable that some come to that conclusion. I'll happily disagree when someone puts forth a case I don't think is racism (and have in the past).[/QUOTE]

I don't even think it's understandable, but I bet we'll agree to disagree on that point.

Well according to Krisken anyone who criticizes Obama is a Racist because they never explicitly stated that they're not racist.
If your trying to brow beat me into not posting by putting words in my mouth I neither said nor meant, it's working.

If your trying to brow beat me into not posting by putting words in my mouth I neither said nor meant, it's working.[/QUOTE]

From the Political Picture thread. Relevant part bolded.

Krisken;255435][quote=Covar said:
No. No. Every conservative and Libertarian is a racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobe. We just want to keep the poor down, so we can take all the money they don't have.
It sure doesn't help when you make excuses for the ones that are racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobes. If you're not part of the solution and speak against it...[/QUOTE]

A

Armadillo

If your trying to brow beat me into not posting by putting words in my mouth I neither said nor meant, it's working.[/QUOTE]

No. No. Every conservative and Libertarian is a racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobe. We just want to keep the poor down, so we can take all the money they don't have.
It sure doesn't help when you make excuses for the ones that are racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobes. If you're not part of the solution and speak against it...[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I have nothing to add, I just wanted to post that picture. It makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

If your trying to brow beat me into not posting by putting words in my mouth I neither said nor meant, it's working.[/quote]

It sure doesn't help when you make excuses for the ones that are racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobes. If you're not part of the solution and speak against it...[/quote][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm not seeing how that's the same thing. That's ok though. I'm getting used to it.

really? you need help understanding what you wrote? ok, fine.

"If your not part of the solution and speak against it..."

now we fill in those ellipses

"you're part of the problem"

Now I'm sure even you can agree that by the problem you mean racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobes.

So you see, your statement now becomes "If you're not part of the solution and speak against it you're part of the racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobes."

See that wasn't so hard to figure out, now was it.

Oh just to help you along, I find the actions of terrorist groups to be deplorable. Now you know I'm not a terrorist.

really? you need help understanding what you wrote? ok, fine.

"If your not part of the solution and speak against it..."

now we fill in those ellipses

"you're part of the problem"

Now I'm sure even you can agree that by the problem you mean racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobes.

So you see, your statement now becomes "If you're not part of the solution and speak against it you're part of the racist, sexist, bigoted, homophobes."

See that wasn't so hard to figure out, now was it.

Oh just to help you along, I find the actions of terrorist groups to be deplorable. Now you know I'm not a terrorist.
You win. I can't argue with that kind of logic.