Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Socially incorrect thought of the day:
These election results may be thanks (in part at least) to COVID, or at least party line covid responses. Imagine what we'd be dealing with now if COVID deaths hadn't been there to kill 10 R voters for every D voter.

It’s true. Republicans aren’t just willfully ignorant about public health. They also tend to be older and more vulnerable to diseases.

It didn’t sound like they were giving up, just stating that he doesn’t think they’ll have the votes. If he said they’re not going to bother trying to put legislation through, that might be different.

GasBandit

Staff member
If they don't at least try, and make the Republicans go on record voting it down, then there WILL be a red wave in 2 years as all the Gen Zs that showed up this time go back to being disinterested.

figmentPez

Staff member
Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers sues Indiana shopping center after being told it can’t sell chicken fingers

"Raising Cane’s, a restaurant famously known for exclusively selling chicken fingers, is suing a northwest Indiana shopping center after being told — eight months and over a million dollars in construction later — that it would be prohibited from selling chicken fingers due to a long-standing, undisclosed deal with McDonald’s.

"A lawsuit filed by Raising Cane’s in a federal court in Texas alleges that Crossings of Hobart and property owner Schottenstein Property Group tricked the popular chicken finger chain into signing a 15-year lease, that would equate to more than $2 million in rent, while never disclosing that McDonald’s held the exclusive rights to sell chicken at the shopping center located next to Southlake Mall in Hobart."

Nothing says American Capitalism like limited monopolies! "People should be able to 'vote with their wallet' so my company is going to make sure they only have one option to vote for!" Such confidence in the invisible hand of the market. It's like we're living in Rapture... after Andrew Ryan got pissed off that someone was making more money and made it illegal to be better at capitalism than he was.

I’m no lawyer but I feel like there are two outcomes to this:

1) the lease said that they weren’t allowed to sell chicken and raising canes needs to fire their lawyers.

2) raising canes can just sell chicken and whatever contract the mall has with ncdonalds is a problem for them and McDonald’s to sort out. Why should they care about someone else’s deal.

GasBandit

Staff member
I’m no lawyer but I feel like there are two outcomes to this:

1) the lease said that they weren’t allowed to sell chicken and raising canes needs to fire their lawyers.

2) raising canes can just sell chicken and whatever contract the mall has with ncdonalds is a problem for them and McDonald’s to sort out. Why should they care about someone else’s deal.
Because if it IS part of the rent agreement (see 1) and they sell chicken anyway, the mall has standing to kick them out, and Cane's would be out the money they spent on construction with nothing to show for it.

I don't have much of an opinion on this one either way because I always preferred Chicken Express to Raising Cane's. Cane's chicken fingers always seemed dry and dull to me.

Because if it IS part of the rent agreement (see 1) and they sell chicken anyway, the mall has standing to kick them out, and Cane's would be out the money they spent on construction with nothing to show for it.
I guess in my mind they’re claiming that it wasn’t, which seems like it’d be easy to prove.

Also, if they can provide proof that they were offered the chicken exclusivity deal despite McDonald’s already having it for decades, that seems like it’d be a big win too.

GasBandit

Staff member
I guess in my mind they’re claiming that it wasn’t, which seems like it’d be easy to prove.

Also, if they can provide proof that they were offered the chicken exclusivity deal despite McDonald’s already having it for decades, that seems like it’d be a big win too.
Having read the article, you are correct, they are claiming that not only did the mall not say that, they took steps to cover up the existence of the agreement.

I don't have much of an opinion on this one either way because I always preferred Chicken Express to Raising Cane's. Cane's chicken fingers always seemed dry and dull to me.
If you're going to Raising Cane's, you're doing it for the excellent sauce and absolutely perfect garlic bread. The Chicken and fries are just a vehicle for the sauce.

There's already people claiming voter fraud here in Maricopa County. I know, shocking.

They obviously want the new legislature to waste a few more billions of the state's surplus on having crackpot right-wingers paw over every last ballot to prove that there was some sort of secret printer ink that prevented Republican votes from being counted in ballots put in the super-secret "Door 3".

The fact that Frisch came so close should have Republicans worried. I compare it to the end of Bad News Bears. They lost, but they put up a solid fight and made it close.

"You talk about doing a disinformation."

This. There are people, adult people over the age of 18, who see this and go, "Yeah, this guy could lead us." THIS. THIS?!?

They see the “R” next to his name, and that’s all they need. Nothing else matters to conservative Georgia voters.

This guy merited a runoff. THIS guy. Come on, Georgia. I mean, I know you're Georgia... but COME ON.

This sounds like the opening celebrity monologue for an infomercial about IoT chastity belts that come with spike-lined codpieces that train your budding teens to not have impure thoughts.

—Patrick

They won't matter. I can't really think of anyone whose opinion on any of these topics could genuinely be changed with just the info on those sheets.
Not saying they're useless, but, they won't matter.
Moving goalposts and rewording "I can't cope with change and I want other people to be like me" a billion different ways are just a hobby to some.