Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

The solution to this is obvious, of course. If the state says they're going to start beating your kids, you just pull your kids out of those schools and move to another place where they don't do that. Vote with your feet, and your wallet, and all that.

...what's that? Current wages are so low that you have to work extra hours in order to make ends meet which means you don't have the time to bring your concerns up in front of anybody? And housing prices are so sky-high that there'd be no way you could move much less afford a new place to move into anyway? And you can't vote to change any of this because you don't even know where you're supposed to vote because it keeps changing every year?

If only someone could've seen this coming.

--Patrick

So Cochise County's two GOP Supervisors found out the hard way today that Laws Are Real and Have Consequences no matter what you think of your neighboring county's election policies.

And I would like to point out to any remaining "Stop The Steal" people that if the Dems in Arizona are really trying to steal the election, they really did a $#!+ty job of it by suing Cochise County to canvass (aka "Certify") their election results immediately.

---

Anyone who's scratching their head, here's the story:

Two GOP Cochise County Supervisors (there are only three on the County's board of Supervisors, by the way) voted on Monday - the deadline day for certifying their election results - to instead delay certification until they could get "more information about whether ballot tabulation machines were certified by an accredited laboratory" (quoted from AZCentral.com).

Of course, one of the GOP Supervisors, Peggy Judd, essentially told the NY that "the machine complaints were a "pretext" to mask their real concern, which was Election Day problems in Maricopa County." (ibid)

Judd and the other Supervisor, Tom Crosby, voted to delay certifying results, out-voting their Democrat colleague (and Board Chair) Ann English, 2-1.

After two separate lawsuits - one from the Secretary of State's office (oh, hai, Katie Hobbs), one from the Arizona Alliance of Retired Americans - they tried to talk to a lawyer for an emergency hearing set for today. The lawyer listened to the two GOP supervisors, and informed them this morning that he wasn't taking the case.

They essentially walked into the courtroom unrepresented. (I think English lawyered up on her own, but I'm not sure.) The judge in the case, Pima County Superior Court Judge Casey McGinley, ordered the board to convene a meeting this afternoon and certify the results.

Crosby had already left, and Judd refused to make the motion to certify after she and English likely met for an "emergency meeting."

Oh, but it gets better: Yesterday (Nov. 30), "(Cochise County) was hit with a claim seeking $25,000 in damages for the board's inaction on certification. Paul Sivertsen, a Cochise County resident, said the board's failure to certify dismissed his vote and disenfranchised his rights as a voter." (ibid) Silversten hinted that this could be part of a class-action lawsuit - guess who the "class" would be (hint: there were 46,618 votes for Governor in the 2020 election from Cochise County).

Dave

Staff member
Doesn’t their failure to certify mean that a democrat would get the seat? Did I read that incorrectly?

Dave

Staff member
My disdain for Kanye and everything he has said or done is pretty well known. I have always said he’s a substandard artist and even worse person. While I feel vindicated, everything he is doing now - as it has in the past - points to mental issues. They’ve only gotten worse but I do hope he gets the help he so desperately needs.

And once he gets it I hope he goes out of the public eye forever.

And once he gets it I hope he goes out of the public eye forever.
Little the media love more than a redemption arc for dickheads.
Also, there's plenty of evidence to suggest simply being obscenely wealthy/powerful leads to mental issues. He's a great example, along with Trump, Elon, and qutie a few others.

Kanye has been pretty open in the past about his mental health issues. He seemed to be handling it fairly well until some of those on the far right got their tentacles in to him. That’s what put him on this spiral. It seems to be backfiring on them now, which is no surprise.
I’m no fan of his music, but people have been using his mental health problems to further their own agenda, which makes this whole mess incredibly sad. Hopefully he can get the help he needs.

Little the media love more than a redemption arc for dickheads.
Also, there's plenty of evidence to suggest simply being obscenely wealthy/powerful leads to mental issues. He's a great example, along with Trump, Elon, and qutie a few others.
I'm actually a fan of Kanye, or at least old Kanye, and his mental health issues go back far before he was stupidly rich and famous. But they started to spiral out of control in 2007 when his mom died. She was his support system, and without her he was left in a system that saw him as a useful, vulnerable person to exploit.

This isn't to absolve Kanye of blame. Mental illness or not he has agency over his actions, just pointing out the tragedy of the situation.

This isn't to absolve Kanye of blame. Mental illness or not he has agency over his actions, just pointing out the tragedy of the situation.
There was a quote I saw somewhere else that said something like "being bipolar doesn't make you anti-semitic". It's like when Mel Gibson got drunk & went on his tirade about Jewish people - the alcohol may be why he vocalised the thought but it didn't make him think it in the first place.

Kanye's mental issues may be why he's saying the quiet part out loud, but the quiet part is still coming from him and that's the problem.

Last edited:
There's also plenty of evidence that decently well-off people get sucked into extremist movements because they're just plain bored and mediocre. Diving into conspiracy rabbit holes gives them a sense of purpose.

figmentPez

Staff member
There's also plenty of evidence that decently well-off people get sucked into extremist movements because they're just plain bored and mediocre. Diving into conspiracy rabbit holes gives them a sense of purpose.

The Simpsons s34e01 "Habeas Tortoise" (Wikipedia link)

Homer is publicly humiliated at a town meeting, which results in his joining a conspiracy theory group online, and eventually in person. Their theories grow increasingly bizarre, until they start plotting violence to try to get a information out of the subject of one of their theories.

There was a quote I saw somewhere else that said something like "being bipolar doesn't make you anti-semitic". It's like when Mel Gibson got drunk & went on his tirade about Jewish people - the alcohol may be why he vocalised the thought but it didn't make him think it in the first place.

Kanye's mental issues may be why he's saying the quiet part out loud, but the quiet part is still coming from him and that's the problem.
I don’t think that can actually carry over. When my friend had his mental break he was convinced that’s his wife was trying to kill him and acted on that belief which I can only assume he doesn’t believe when he’s not having a mental break. Kanye’s probably a dick when he’s “sane” but we have no idea what his beliefs are.

Not even the first time “shooting up a substation” has been on my bingo card.
This is the first incident that has pushed it into “Ok, we’re up to actual terrorism now” for me. Yes we’ve had intimidation, assaults/murders, misrepresentation, and so on, but this is the first Oklahoma City/Boston Marathon-level event that I know of.

—Patrick

Some of my wife's people are from a small town in Camden County in southeast Georgia. Her relatives there definitely voted for Walker because they have spent the past twenty years glued to Fox News. They have been told over and over that all them thar educated, librul, high-falutin' college types think they're better than those God-fearing, salt of the earth, real 'Murkins.

Last edited: