Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

figmentPez

Staff member
Four days later and power is still being restored. ~35,000 people are still without power.
Power may be back for thousands on Wednesday night as authorities continue to go through tips on electric substation attack

Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said that whoever fired at the substations “knew exactly what they were doing.”
And the shooting isn't over yet, either:
Shots fired near Duke Energy facility in South Carolina

"An individual opened fire near a Duke Energy facility at Wateree Hydro Station in Ridgeway, South Carolina, on Wednesday, CBS News has learned.
"Ridgeway, South Carolina, is a small town of approximately 400 residents located across state lines and about 150 miles southwest of Moore County. "

The report says they don't think it caused any damage, and it's unknown if the two incidents are connected.

figmentPez

Staff member
Since I can't find a general purpose environment thread, and I'm too tired to create one:

Keystone Pipeline spill in Kansas

Keystone pipeline spill 2022-12.jpg

"It's been over a week since TC Energy announced its Keystone pipeline leaked into Mill Creek in Washington County, Kan. Nearly 600,000 gallons of oil spilled into the waterway as well as the land surrounding it. "

Over a week and the first I've heard of it came from a NSFW content creator's TikTok.

"When a tar sands disaster like this happens, it is worse than a traditional oil spill. Because tar sands is much more difficult, expensive and much more toxic to clean up. We know that this is going to take years,"
Diluted bitumen "doesn't float the way conventional oil does. And most means of spill remediation in water bodies do rely on most of the oil staying on top of the water body,"
"Keystone has been the subject of 22 reported leaks since 2010, according a Government Accountability Office report last year. With the Mill Creek case, it is now up to at least 23."

Over a week and the first I've heard of it came from a NSFW content creator's TikTok.
I watched a YouTube video covering ABC’s reporting of the incident and their lead-in went something like this:
“Keystone pipeline sprang a leak today in Kansas spilling xxxx gallons of oil onto the countryside. Here is Xxxx Xxxx, an expert on such things, to talk about it. So tell us, Xxxx, what is this going to mean for gas prices this holiday season?”

—Patrick

farran-Point_e.jpg

There's 2,600,000 freedom units in the states worth of pipeline. Not sure why specific pipelines get such media attention. The only reason we don't have even more is because rich people are fighting over who gets richer I suppose.

Congressman-elect Republican that flipped a New York seat is a complete fraud:

Would have been nice for this info to come forward, say, before the election. Given everything he's said is a lie, it shouldn't have been that hard to find something before the election, should it?

Ooo, also I suppose this is the point where we get to find out whether New York has any forward-thinking laws on the books about what to do if someone is elected to office "...under false pretenses." Because I can totally see it going down that, "Oh hey, technically there isn't anything in the election by-laws that precludes someone from taking office illegally so gee I guess it'll have to stand."

--Patrick

Would have been nice for this info to come forward, say, before the election. Given everything he's said is a lie, it shouldn't have been that hard to find something before the election, should it?
The DCCC released a memo to the press saying that much of this guy's background was falsified or exaggerated. The media largely ignored it.

Back in August.

The DCCC released a memo to the press saying that much of this guy's background was falsified or exaggerated. The media largely ignored it.

Back in August.

Except that barely touches on anything mentioned in today's article, only vaguely gesturing at the financial oddness without any real followup. Nothing about the fake address, fake education, fake work experience.

figmentPez

Staff member

If there's evidence that a political figure has been engaged in financial misconduct, their tax returns should be revealed. Period. It doesn't matter if they're a mayoral candidate for a city with a single digit population, or if they're a SCOTUS judge. Political leaders must be held accountable, and finances are a major part of how people are influenced. If someone's finances would embarrass them, then that's leverage that can be used against them, and the public deserves to know who and what is influencing their political leaders.

If there's evidence that a political figure has been engaged in financial misconduct, their tax returns should be revealed. Period.
Or, hear me out, if you're in a position of political power, and are making decision that effect the whole country's economy, your taxes should just be public by default. Maybe with a delay of a year or two, at most.