Export thread

Get the sand out of your vag (Seinfeld says colleges too PC)

Mathias

Mathias

[DOUBLEPOST=1433804519,1433804484][/DOUBLEPOST]Goddamn pantie waists.[DOUBLEPOST=1433804562][/DOUBLEPOST]Charlie don't surf.... best you stay out of this thread. You might have a heart attack.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, why can't college campuses appreciate stuff like this:

Dave

Dave

There's a difference between a comedy routine that's on the edge (and funny) and a guy losing his shit onstage outside of his material.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

There's a difference between a comedy routine that's on the edge (and funny) and a guy losing his shit onstage outside of his material.
I don't think Daniel Tosh was losing his shit when he asked if it'd be funny if a woman would be raped during his show, but it was certainly outside his source material.

My point with these is that Seinfeld has been doing this for long enough to know where to draw the line (unlike certain others) and how to get a feel for a crowd, unless he's been spending too much time on Tumblr and it's misshaping his view on how people are. I think he's being over-dramatic.

Dave

Dave

Seinfeld's point, if you bothered to listen, is that it does not matter if you are even close to a line when doing comedy on a college campus these days because the students are hyper-sensitive and think everything is offensive. Comedy can be and frequently is offensive and that's perfectly fine. If you are offended, tough shit. There is a funny side to literally everything. That's a part of life. And Seinfeld is basically right. People are so needing to be offended that they throw out SJW terms like hard rock candy without giving a thought to what they mean or represent in the first place. They are so quick to jump on any perceived insult that people are getting fired for using the word "niggardly", or trying to start conversations on race.

Have things gotten better for minorities or LGBT? Yes and no. (No for minorities and I'd say yes for LGBT [if any of our LGBT people want to correct me if I'm wrong please do so]) But we have gone from the extreme where Disney had cartoons with "Indians" in them singing songs like, "What Makes the Red Man Red" to where people are overly sensitive about everything. The pendulum has swung from one extreme to the other.

"But," I hear you say, "what's so bad about that?" Well, it stifles creativity, for one. It takes pretty big balls like Louis CK to be able to weather the kinds of shit that gets flung around when you make a joke that's close to the line. You just can't give a shit, but SJW's are really, really good at briganding and swaying those who do not have said balls. So the brave get shouted down. Look at the current GamerGate bullshit. Legitimate concerns about the ethical implications of a give-n-take between game developers and game reporting has now gotten bogged down in the mire of recrimination and gleeful cries of sexism. It's all bullshit from the top down. The GamerGate people were right initially, but then instead of sticking to the facts, they dragged themselves into the muck right along with the screaming hoards of SJW morons who don't give two shits about ethics as long as their agenda is being pushed forcefully forward. And yes, both sides acted (and in some cases are still acting) abysmally.

So your point completely misses the message that Seinfeld was saying, which is that the line to cross on college campuses has moved so far away from reality that humor is no longer possible without crossing it and enraging a populace that feels so entitled that any affront to their delicate sensibilities is tantamount to all the other real injustices in the world happening to real people who are really and truly oppressed.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seinfeld's point, if you bothered to listen, is that it does not matter if you are even close to a line when doing comedy on a college campus these days because the students are hyper-sensitive and think everything is offensive. Comedy can be and frequently is offensive and that's perfectly fine. If you are offended, tough shit. There is a funny side to literally everything. That's a part of life. And Seinfeld is basically right. People are so needing to be offended that they throw out SJW terms like hard rock candy without giving a thought to what they mean or represent in the first place. They are so quick to jump on any perceived insult that people are getting fired for using the word "niggardly", or trying to start conversations on race.

Have things gotten better for minorities or LGBT? Yes and no. (No for minorities and I'd say yes for LGBT [if any of our LGBT people want to correct me if I'm wrong please do so]) But we have gone from the extreme where Disney had cartoons with "Indians" in them singing songs like, "What Makes the Red Man Red" to where people are overly sensitive about everything. The pendulum has swung from one extreme to the other.

"But," I hear you say, "what's so bad about that?" Well, it stifles creativity, for one. It takes pretty big balls like Louis CK to be able to weather the kinds of shit that gets flung around when you make a joke that's close to the line. You just can't give a shit, but SJW's are really, really good at briganding and swaying those who do not have said balls. So the brave get shouted down. Look at the current GamerGate bullshit. Legitimate concerns about the ethical implications of a give-n-take between game developers and game reporting has now gotten bogged down in the mire of recrimination and gleeful cries of sexism. It's all bullshit from the top down. The GamerGate people were right initially, but then instead of sticking to the facts, they dragged themselves into the muck right along with the screaming hoards of SJW morons who don't give two shits about ethics as long as their agenda is being pushed forcefully forward. And yes, both sides acted (and in some cases are still acting) abysmally.

So your point completely misses the message that Seinfeld was saying, which is that the line to cross on college campuses has moved so far away from reality that humor is no longer possible without crossing it and enraging a populace that feels so entitled that any affront to their delicate sensibilities is tantamount to all the other real injustices in the world happening to real people who are really and truly oppressed.
That's what I said--I think he's being over-dramatic. You're saying it's too much of a shift to accept edgy comedy, but he's the one saying no, he won't do it. So, he doesn't have the balls, but it's someone else's fault?

It's too late at night to get into where you're right and wrong on the GamerGate thing, but in the end it was a trainwreck and IGN still stands on the curbside of the red light district waiting for EA, undeterred.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Comedy can be and frequently is offensive and that's perfectly fine. If you are offended, tough shit. There is a funny side to literally everything. That's a part of life.
Few people tackled it as head-on as this guy:

...and that's a good portion of why he is revered.

NOTE: Do you see the title of that clip? If not, let me repeat it here: "George Carlin-rape CAN be funny"
Does this give you some idea what the clip might be about? That it could be NSFW (btw it is, and very much so)? If you click on that video, you now know EXACTLY what you are getting into, naughty language and controversy both, and while you may have every right to be offended, you have no right to complain about it. None.
1) You knew what you were getting into when you clicked it.
2) He's dead now, so you ain't gonna change his mind.

If you click it, you by definition have expressed your desire to listen to it. If you didn't want to hear it, then don't click the video. Go find something more PG- or PC-rated and watch/listen to that instead.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

i won't get in the way of this thread worshiping probably the richest and most powerful comedian in america (the world?) punching down and making fun of the people with the least power

but most of what is being said ITT is incredibly gross. I like that Carlin bit but everything you just said @PatrThom (-patrick) is putrid and proves that you really don't understand anything about the subject

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

i won't get in the way of this thread worshiping probably the richest and most powerful comedian in america (the world?) punching down and making fun of the people with the least power
That's another thing--why does Seinfeld even care? He doesn't do colleges.

I mean, listen to the age he's complaining about. 14. Tumblr group age. That's not college age. I'm sure to old people he sounds wise, but he doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. He's acting like this really affects him, but it sounds more like an excuse to rant about something that pisses him off. Maybe instead he should have a talk with his daughter about what words mean. Then she can ignore him because she's 14, and get it later on without making a connection to anything he said ... because she's a teenager. What does he expect? This isn't difficult to comprehend.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I like that Carlin bit but everything you just said @PatrThom (-patrick) is putrid and proves that you really don't understand anything about the subject
You and I ... we have different opinions on the assertion as to who "gets it."

--Patrick

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

Chris Rock Stopped Playing Colleges Because They're 'Too Conservative'

'Not in their political views -- not like they’re voting Republican -- but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.'

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

That's another thing--why does Seinfeld even care? He doesn't do colleges.

I mean, listen to the age he's complaining about. 14. Tumblr group age. That's not college age. I'm sure to old people he sounds wise, but he doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about. He's acting like this really affects him, but it sounds more like an excuse to rant about something that pisses him off. Maybe instead he should have a talk with his daughter about what words mean. Then she can ignore him because she's 14, and get it later on without making a connection to anything he said ... because she's a teenager. What does he expect? This isn't difficult to comprehend.
I would assume because it affects people he knows.

Also, just because the first specific example that came to mind (since it's from his daughter) comes from a kid who was 14 doesn't mean he hasn't experienced that from college aged kids as well. "Tumblr group age" doesn't end with high schoolers, it's most popular demographic is 18-29 year olds.

Z

Zero Esc Mobile

Let's say he was right ... what becomes the issue there?

A comedian's job is to make the audience laugh, not for the audience to form a culture that laughs at the comedian's jokes no matter what.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Let's say he was right ... what becomes the issue there?

A comedian's job is to make the audience laugh, not for the audience to form a culture that laughs at the comedian's jokes no matter what.
Well, that depends, really. Is the comedian merely pandering to an audience, or is he trying to make art?

Dave

Dave

It's art, but like all art it's totally subjective. And humor must be at least a little on the edge or it's just milquetoast and funny to a scant few. The problem is that to be successful you have to be as general as possible while being funny, which is incredibly difficult.

And the fact that Charlie has missed the entire point is, in fact, proving the point. The inability of those to see the other side and have a need to be offended is pretty standard.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

All I took away from that Seinfeld video is that he needs to talk to his daughter more often.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

humor must be at least a little on the edge or it's just milquetoast and funny to a scant few. The problem is that to be successful you have to be as general as possible while being funny, which is incredibly difficult..
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nope

Dave

Dave

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

nope
And your experience in comedy is what again? And your comment added what to the conversation?

Ah, I see. When faced with experience in a topic - because Chris Rock, Seinfeld, etc. can't be trusted as experts - you instead troll and do your best to be offended. Well done.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

this isn't a conversation, this is a stupid childish shit-flinging contest from post one.

and I don't TRY to be offended, when I'm talking in spaces without routine shitty stuff being said, I'm never offended, in fact it makes me wonder why I even bother, but whatever, here's a really shitty article everyone in this thread will agree with, so I'll add to y'alls discussion and actually leave the thread instead of just saying I will

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

Dave

Dave

So you are posting MORE PROOF BY AN EXPERIENCED EXPERT and wondering why we're all thinking you are wrong? You proved our point AGAIN with someone who knows FAR MORE ABOUT IT THAN YOU!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

hahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha

Dave

Dave

And again you add nothing. Bring salient points and state your case. But you never ever do that. You'd be a big hit on Tumblr.

MindDetective

MindDetective

@Charlie Don't Surf is just being a bossy, holier-than-thou gnat. He can't even stick to his own directives. He's a trolling fraud.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

we ought to create more honeypot threads like this to suck charlie in and keep him out of the rest of the forum.

Dave

Dave

Don't say honeypot.

:rofl:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Don't say honeypot.

My bad...I forgot about about it being slang for deletable female parts ;)

Maybe I should have said "tar baby" instead...

:troll:

Dave

Dave

Ah, the old Disney racism. It's rather amazing the stuff they did back then, isn't it? The whole Song of the South is just one big racist rant in cartoon (and some live action) form. Things our kids will see and go, "What the hell?!?"

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Ah, the old Disney racism. It's rather amazing the stuff they did back then, isn't it? The whole Song of the South is just one big racist rant in cartoon (and some live action) form. Things our kids will see and go, "What the hell?!?"
The tar baby myth/story existed long before Disney, and has literally nothing to do with black people (thus the wiki link)...

Like a honeypot, it means a sticky situation that's difficult to get out of. And, like honeypot, it has a secondary meaning that would get Charlie's panties all up in a twist.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'll add to y'alls discussion and actually leave the thread instead of just saying I will
4 minutes later:

hahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahaha

....*sigh* I really am one for sticking up for the weak or the bullied, and I love playing devil's advocate and defend points I don't agree with necessarily, but seriously, Charlie makes it hard...I mean, difficult, to take him seriously in any way.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

To quote the Nostalgic Chick, Song of the South propagates the stereotype that black people are boring.

Because that movie is boring as shit.

Dave

Dave

The tar baby myth/story existed long before Disney, and has literally nothing to do with black people (thus the wiki link)...

Like a honeypot, it means a sticky situation that's difficult to get out of. And, like honeypot, it has a secondary meaning that would get Charlie's panties all up in a twist.
Yeah, but tarbaby has been really, REALLY appropriated. Still I get your point.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's rather amazing the stuff they did back then, isn't it?[...] Things our kids will see and go, "What the hell?!?"
This can be applied all over the place and we already do that, often, with a lot of stuff. It's strange how some people demand we look at other cultures in our time period with a lot of cultural relativism and accept differences in opinion and in view, while not applying the same relativism to a Western culture from a different time period. Of course you can say "now we know better", and it's a good thing we've learned from past mistakes and don't think the same things are acceptable - up to a point. The over-PC-ing as shown by Charlie, for example, is something that we'll either come to accept as the new norm, or it'll be something else people from the future will look back on as a form of mental victorian puritanism. Or, more likely, both, at different points of time.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yeah, but tarbaby has been really, REALLY appropriated.
So has pussy.

To be fair, though, I thought you were originally using that term ironically, since the moment you mentioned the latin root, I immediately pictured you in a fedora.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I am going to say that I am sympathetic to Charlie (and his views) here. In no way is Seinfeld, Chris Rock, or anyone else who hasn't been directly involved in any immediate timeframe for an extended period of time to a college campus an "expert" on whether colleges have "become too PC". And in fact, Seinfeld states directly in the actual recorded interview in the OP that this is only something he's heard from other people, not experienced himself, as he doesn't do college campuses.

I would go so far as to say that the tolerance that an assortment of college students in a room have for certain comedians or jokes has basically nothing to do with whether a particular campus is "too pc" (unless it's a performing arts college). Rather, we should be looking at the students' reactions to content of the classes they are taking for learning purposes, the actual nominal reason that people go to colleges.

And in that way, it sounds like we have a bit of a problem.

The promotion of social justice is a good thing in my mind, at least as a concept. But what we're definitely seeing more of in the media (and apparently in colleges) is a version of social justice that equates "justice" with "not being offended" as opposed to the righting of actual wrongs. As if injustice doesn't exist if you can't hear about it. Micro-aggressions absolutely exist. But if you equate everything that makes you uncomfortable with an aggression against you, you've literally given up any agency you have in trying to tackle any problem on your own terms.

Dave

Dave

So has pussy.

To be fair, though, I thought you were originally using that term ironically, since the moment you mentioned the latin root, I immediately pictured you in a fedora.
Which is why I said I took his point.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And again you add nothing. Bring salient points and state your case. But you never ever do that. You'd be a big hit on Tumblr.
Dave, he already explained his situation in the article he quoted to support his position. The article demonstrates his assertion that we are supposed to care more about how he feels than about the subject being discussed.

--Patrick

Covar

Covar

I'd be really curious to see where the secondary meaning actually developed. The wiki article makes it seem like situation from the video below.

Of course I'm being fucking gross so we should just shut down all discussion on this matter. Or would if people like Charlie and the college students/tumblr crowd/Seinfeld's daughter were actually willing to have a dialog.

Dave

Dave

Ooh! I forgot about that one!

Necronic

Necronic

humor must be at least a little on the edge or it's just milquetoast and funny to a scant few.
Jim Gaffigan. Pretty much the only people he might offend are those with IBS.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

That's just because they don't have the stomach for that sort of humor.

PatrThom

PatrThom

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

That's just because they don't have the stomach for that sort of humor.
My stomach's fine, dammit. Stop making a caricature of my life-defining invisible illness. Your "humor" isn't funny at all. Now excuse me while I go to the bathroom and I'll be back with a scathing remark in 5 to 10 minutes.

(I actually do have IBS so I can make jokes about it dammit! :p)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I've heard lots of comedy routines that have no edge to them but are funny. A stream of one-liners like "I live on a one-way dead-end street" for example, or a poem about an occasional table that spends its day off as a chair.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I have an ulcer, you insensitive cad! You people with your still-mostly-intact stomach tissue can kiss my butt!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I have an ulcer, you insensitive cad! You people with your still-mostly-intact stomach tissue can kiss my butt!
...Oooh, can I? Can I? :unibrow:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You can, sir! You can right to hell, sir!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Well, that depends, really. Is the comedian merely pandering to an audience, or is he trying to make art?
It's live art, which means there's some degree of leeway. For example, back when oral tradition storytelling was a bigger thing, the storyteller would lengthen the story if the audience was into it, cut it down if the audience wasn't enjoying it much. I'm not saying a comedian is ever going to be perfect, but let's take the Louis CK clip from earlier. When the audience started showing negativity, he knew how to diffuse it.

Chris Rock Stopped Playing Colleges Because They're 'Too Conservative'

'Not in their political views -- not like they’re voting Republican -- but in their social views and their willingness not to offend anybody. Kids raised on a culture of “We’re not going to keep score in the game because we don’t want anybody to lose.” Or just ignoring race to a fault. You can’t say “the black kid over there.” No, it’s “the guy with the red shoes.” You can’t even be offensive on your way to being inoffensive.'
On the idea of people's speech, that's a more complex issue than is being given credit. On the one hand, people don't want to offend each other or even seem racist just by being descriptive. On the other hand, ignoring race is one step towards ignoring racism, which is bad. My personal opinion is that it's better for us to have differences and accept them than for us to become homogenous. But people have a harder time accepting differences than just saying "we're all the same."

On the comedy part, I'm sure there are political conservatives who would love to hear race jokes, but Seinfeld, Rock, others wouldn't want to cater to that crowd. Thing is, as they get older, their generation is going to become more out of touch with youth, and what was considered progressive at a time eventually isn't considered progressive enough. That's how it should be; otherwise we get decades of schools telling kids that Martin Luther King ended racism and nothing gets done--oh wait.

With that said, I think the situation has two sides. On the one hands, if a comedian's comedy is their art, they should be willing to do it. It's not like an unhappy college campus is going to ruin the careers of people like Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock. On the other hand, we all need to be a little offended sometimes not only so we can know how that feels, but why we feel that way.

On a side-note, goddammit Charlie, why are you so useless?[DOUBLEPOST=1433884436,1433884040][/DOUBLEPOST]Side-side-note, sometimes when a person says a joke "wasn't funny," it's not because they were offended; it's because they found it lacked humor/failed to amuse them. I think a lot of people don't understand that.

Emrys

Emrys

...Oooh, can I? Can I? :unibrow:
Only if you make a video and post it for my edification.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My stomach's fine, dammit. Stop making a caricature of my life-defining invisible illness. Your "humor" isn't funny at all. Now excuse me while I go to the bathroom and I'll be back with a scathing remark in 5 to 10 minutes.
...did you watch the video?

--Patrick

Mathias

Mathias

Don't say honeypot.

That's racist! Bears like honey.

Mathias

Mathias

Also related...

Bubble181

Bubble181

...did you watch the video?

--Patrick
One of many downsides of visiting this place mostly from work: no videos, no sound.

Mathias

Mathias

And it's old enough not to get taken down from youtube. I fucking rule.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Also related...

I said, "can you blow me where the pampers is??"

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Also related...

I love that movie

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So has pussy.

*cuffs upside the head* Don't disparage the hat. :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

*cuffs upside the head* Don't disparage the hat. :p
The hat has come to mean something more than its original, purely-hat roots.

Much like certain words.

Zappit

Zappit

I have one rule with my comedy. Only make fun of people who possess the capacity to crack back. I don't joke about people with mental disabilities.

If you look centuries back, the comedians have always helped to point out and mock humanities foibles and failings. In most Shakespeare plays, The Fool is often the only character really able to speak the truth about other characters or situations, often in a low-brow manner.

Jerry Seinfeld has a valid point about the Tumblr age crowd, because there are a tremendous number of simply insufferable, immature, petty people who actively harass and target the "offensive" humorists. A cartoonist who poked fun at SJWs was doxxed, and the SJWs bombarded her place of business with nasty calls until they fired her. One of many such acts of intellectual persecution. Congratulations are in order, because they all get a trophy for being Tremendous Assholes.

But it's nothing new. Humorists are always targets because there's very often a bit of truth to what they say and produce. If you read a blog called The Daily Cartoonist, you'll see many cases of foreign cartoonists jailed without cause or victimized by oppressive governments. Hell, look at what Lenny Bruce went through here just a few decades ago. It takes courage to stand up and be funny. The Hardcore SJW crowd is simply another oppressive ideological movement that seeks to suppress and limit speech it does not agree with. They want to represent the downtrodden, but take it to such an extreme level that they literally cannot mentally or emotionally handle ideas dissimilar to their own. Most of them will probably grow out of it in time, and might someday have a conversation like an adult. But right now, they're toxic.

Comedians had it easier in the 80's, 90's, and early 00's. There wasn't an ideological or political group that actively targeted them for their jokes to the extent we're currently seeing. They could get edgy. They could experiment. Thank God for that.

The thing that sickens me right to my core is that while the SJW crowd has a noble cause - seeking social equality and equal justice - it has been hijacked and perverted by a small but extraordinarily shrill group that bullies people into ideological extremism. No negotiation. No gray areas. No dissent. Silence your enemies. A number of them have openly stated that facts just get in the way, and should be dismissed of they dispute a selected narrative. We're now seeing college groups demanding trigger warnings on classic literature, and "safe zones" being erected when a potential controversial speaker gives a presentation. This goes beyond the pale. We're allowing these people to become intellectual hemophiliacs. I doubt they could comprehend the nuances of satire. The rest of the world doesn't give a shit about those kinds of concerns.

Free speech is a pillar of freedom, and I have no tolerance for those that seek to suppress it. Do I enjoy Rush Limbaugh's often racist rhetoric? No. Do I approve of Mike Huckabee's homophobic statements and hypocritical support of an admitted sex-offender? Not in the least. They have the right to spout off their nonsense. It's a right paid for by the blood of patriots, and it is a sacred right. Do I approve of Rick Santorum stating the Pope should shut his mouth about global warming? No way in hell do I support a man trying to take away another man's right to express an opinion. Fuck Rick Santorum.

I've heard plenty of offensive comedy, and read plenty of truly tasteless and offensive comics. They have their place, and we grow from them, one way or the other.

Sorry if that was long and ranty, but as a cartoonist and smart-ass, I'm pretty passionate about the sanctity of humor.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The above rhetoric could apply equally well to any group which has been labeled as "extremist."

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Seinfeld notes that there are subjects he can't make funny, and so he doesn't touch them. That makes sense to me. However, granting that anything can be made funny, that doesn't mean anything can be made funny by just anyone. Comedians who fail in that shouldn't be rewarded with laughter they didn't earn.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I've mentioned before, but I've cut ties with a local acquaintance who was getting more and more toxic in her tumblr and twitter posts. For starters, she was one of those "I'm white but I hate white people" types. But the kicker was during the Baltimore riots, she was joining the mob to ruin the life of another girl who had posted some ill-advised racial tweets. That girl got doxxed, and the frothing mob actually declared it's intent to DESTROY HER LIFE (caps theirs.) At that point I wanted nothing more to do with her. It makes me think about all her other posts about how much she couldn't stand her jobs (lots of them), apartments (lots of them), towns she's lived in (lots of them), and other people.

Gee, didja ever stop to think YOU may be the toxic one, dear?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I feel like many people watched a completely different clip than I did. Seinfeld never even said one way or the other how he personally felt about the issue because he doesn't need to work campuses anyway (he never really has in his career). He is just affirming that yes, he has heard this from other comedians who do work colleges.

Dave

Dave

More comedians are coming out supporting Seinfeld and what he said.

Seth Meyers
Larry the Cable Guy
Colin Quinn
Lewis Black - I heard this this morning, but I didn't hear the quote so I may be wrong about him.

Again, these are experts in the field, agreeing with the stated point that colleges are too PC and comics are staying away.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Now just imagine doing standup in front of 300 Charlies.

Celt Z

Celt Z

More comedians are coming out supporting Seinfeld and what he said.
Seth Meyers
Larry the Cable Guy
Colin Quinn
Lewis Black - I heard this this morning, but I didn't hear the quote so I may be wrong about him.
Again, these are experts in the field, agreeing with the stated point that colleges are too PC and comics are staying away.
I see this list, and if you include Seinfeld and Rock, I think there's a lot of truth in what @Zero Esc said:
Thing is, as they get older, their generation is going to become more out of touch with youth, and what was considered progressive at a time eventually isn't considered progressive enough. That's how it should be..
No one is saying these guys aren't funny, but people under a certain age just aren't their primary audience anymore. And the same thing happened when they were up-and-coming: appealing to a younger audience with a different style of comedy. Comedy has, and does, change with the times. When was the last time you heard vaudeville acts or Henny Youngman-types finding a college audience? I'd really love some younger comics to weigh-in to see if they're having similar issues reaching an younger audience.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'd pay good money to kickstart a show featuring Andrew "Dice" Clay performing on a PA system in the middle of UC Berkeley.

Cajungal

Cajungal

No one is saying these guys aren't funny.
For the record, I just wanna say that Larry the Cable Guy is absolutely not funny.

PatrThom

PatrThom

When was the last time you heard vaudeville acts or Henny Youngman-types finding a college audience?
While I was in college, actually.
But my college was weird.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

For the record, I just wanna say that Larry the Cable Guy is absolutely not funny.
I'm not a fan of Daniel Whitney's ("Larry's" real name) act...but I take solace that it is just an act. He was a run-of-the-mill stand up performer until the popularity of that particular bit in his act took off. You can't blame the guy for capitalizing on it.

http://splitsider.com/2013/03/defending-larry-the-cable-guy/

The ironic thing is that the Larry redneck act was originally a bit mocking rednecks...and now he's stuck being one. Sad, really

Cajungal

Cajungal

I won't say he's not shrewd. I've seen his out of character material and he never would have made it. Now he gets to be a truck, talk about heartburn, and say three words to pay his bills.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'd really love some younger comics to weigh-in to see if they're having similar issues reaching an younger audience.
I've done some open mic on younger crowds; I live near the university here in town so the bars often have that population. I'm hardly one of the funniest people -I'm also new- but I can say I haven't felt like pulling punches or being sensitive. Maybe I'm not big enough for offence to register, or maybe I'm just not offensive.

Cannot agree with this enough.

Zappit

Zappit

I see this list, and if you include Seinfeld and Rock, I think there's a lot of truth in what @Zero Esc said:

No one is saying these guys aren't funny, but people under a certain age just aren't their primary audience anymore. And the same thing happened when they were up-and-coming: appealing to a younger audience with a different style of comedy. Comedy has, and does, change with the times. When was the last time you heard vaudeville acts or Henny Youngman-types finding a college audience? I'd really love some younger comics to weigh-in to see if they're having similar issues reaching an younger audience.
The thing is, this younger audience turns on "their" stars at the drop of a hat. The slightest potentially offensive material sends them into a frothing frenzy. Look at Whedon. One of the most progressive writers in entertainment, making huge cultural contributions to the LGBT cause, crucified online for making Black Widow vulnerable and humanly flawed. They even went nuts because she was locked up for five minutes in the movie. Lessee, Loki was locked up, Thor was locked up...

Look at the guy picked to take over the Daily Show. He's pretty funny, but about three out of the hundreds of jokes and one-liners offended some people, and they ripped him up.

There's too many people in the younger audience who don't find anything funny, because they're lacking the ability to laugh. Why the hell would any comedian even want to try to engage people like that?

phil

phil

To me the thing about "offensive" comedy is that you just have to be bringing something new to the table for it to actually be funny and not crossing that line to just plain offensive. The best examples I can think of are the differences between The Chappelle show and Mind of Mencia. One of Chappelle's best and earliest sketches was the Clayton Bigsby sketch where a blind black man believes himself to be white and is raciest against black people as a result. This was so off the wall and witty that it was hilarious even though without context it would just be Dave Chappelle yelling racial slurs for a few minutes.

Mind of Mencia on the other hand had a sketch called Punji at the 7-11 where Mencia plays an Indian store clerk hurling obvious insults at cookie cutter stereotypes coming into the store. Right off the bat we're already in an over done and just plain not funny situation. Of course all the customers end up being just as bland an unoriginal. The Redneck white guy tells him to speak American, the fat black lady says she'd be thin too if she could get a personal trainer while buying nachos and the black guy robs the store to which Mencia just says "of course!" There's no real new ground being explored with any of it and, to me, is closer to the edge of offensive than Chappelle literally yelling the N word and White Power over and over.

Similarly Adult Swim had a cartoon called Minoriteam for a little bit that had the same problem. It centered around a team of minority super heroes who all had powers based on their stereotypes. The Chinese guy was super smart, the black guy was fast the mexican had a super powered leaf blower and so on. It wasn't even really offensive because it was just so tired and dumb it was like being offended at your grandparents for saying colored that one time. On the other hand you also had The Boondocks which was able to actually look at and poke fun at aspects of black culture because it was able to give it a twist or present it in a new light that hadn't been done to death.

I think the problem, in relation to the main topic, comes in that people aren't taking the time to really reflect on things that could possibly offend them. I understand that they have their guard up because this is the generation that's mostly grown up online which is still a largely toxic environment. How long ago was it that people were posting that meme of Beast grinning with a caption that said "just do it f----t" or something to that extent? And were the people posting it homophobic at their core or were they just posting something with the word f----t in it because this is the internet and that's just what you do? If you can't play an online game for more than a few minutes without someone calling you a n----r is it any surprise that the group of people who are legitimately sick of that behavior are becoming more vocal and quicker to call foul on things as they pop up?

Personally I think this will work itself out over time. For every post about how offensive this thing or that thing is I see two talking about how tired people are about hearing how offensive it is. And that's the problem too, is that everyone has a voice now thanks to the social media bukkake we expose ourselves to on a daily basis so we're bombarded with everyone's opinion about every little thing 24/7.

Cajungal

Cajungal

^You said it. In my experience, people are willing to be "forgiving" if there's more to what you're saying than just "let me shock and/or disgust you."

And even then there needs to be wiggle room. Louis CK has a great bit about an attractive couple where he says, "I want to see what their kid looks like. Who knows, maybe I wanna fuck their kid too." And when the audience groans, he says, "That's just me saying something awful because I know how you'll react" <--or something similar. Then he says something worse and laughs this playful, evil laugh. It's a great bit. For me personally, it reminded me of my dad and brother, who say things just to get a rise out of me. It makes me love them more, but it also drives me crazy sometimes. It's just plain fun and powerful to know you can push people's buttons. Sometimes that's the joke. "Listen to how horrible this is... can you imagine if people were really like this? Oh, they are sometimes? Well, if you don't laugh you'll cry..."

Comedy, art, film, music... we have to be willing to let these people have some freedom or else we're going to be a sad, boring bunch of people. If you don't like it, don't buy it or walk out of the theatre. That's your right.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Louis CK knows how to do that kind of stuff.

But not every comedian has that skill.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The thing is, this younger audience turns on "their" stars at the drop of a hat. The slightest potentially offensive material sends them into a frothing frenzy. Look at Whedon. One of the most progressive writers in entertainment, making huge cultural contributions to the LGBT cause, crucified online for making Black Widow vulnerable and humanly flawed. They even went nuts because she was locked up for five minutes in the movie. Lessee, Loki was locked up, Thor was locked up...

Look at the guy picked to take over the Daily Show. He's pretty funny, but about three out of the hundreds of jokes and one-liners offended some people, and they ripped him up.

There's too many people in the younger audience who don't find anything funny, because they're lacking the ability to laugh. Why the hell would any comedian even want to try to engage people like that?
Iggy Azalea got crucified for long-since deleted tweets to the point that LGBT groups were calling for boycotts of her appearance at a Pride event in Pittsburgh this weekend. Eventually the backlash reached critical mass and she canceled.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Iggy Azalea got crucified for long-since deleted tweets to the point that LGBT groups were calling for boycotts of her appearance at a Pride event in Pittsburgh this weekend. Eventually the backlash reached critical mass and she canceled.
If there's one thing that's safe for ridicule, it's Iggy Azalea. I think that's a grand unifying force we can all get behind, no matter your personal politics.

She actually does look like a Wayans in drag, a la White Chicks.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If there's one thing that's safe for ridicule, it's Iggy Azalea. I think that's a grand unifying force we can all get behind, no matter your personal politics.

She actually does look like a Wayans in drag, a la White Chicks.

I think the local NBC affiliate is just using the story to repeatedly air clips of her "Fancy" video.

Which immediately makes Weird Al's "Handy" play in my head. :p

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think the local NBC affiliate is just using the story to repeatedly air clips of her "Fancy" video.

Which immediately makes Weird Al's "Handy" play in my head. :p
On a completely tangential note, I can't believe that Weird Al is still cranking out such good music. Mandatory Fun was great.

PatrThom

PatrThom

On a completely tangential note, I can't believe that Weird Al is still cranking out such good music. Mandatory Fun was great.
Oh yeah. "Word Crimes" was absolutely brilliant.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

See, it's funny that Al wasn't thought much of other than a novelty act when he first came out in the '70's. And now? He's this beloved entertainer with a huge hit album and great videos.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

See, it's funny that Al wasn't thought much of other than a novelty act when he first came out in the '70's. And now? He's this beloved entertainer with a huge hit album and great videos.
He still got a few "worse than Hitler" critiques for Word Crimes, but those were from of the most unhinged of the tumblr screechers.

PatrThom

PatrThom

See, it's funny that Al wasn't thought much of other than a novelty act when he first came out in the '70's.
Oh, some of us knew.
A wit like that isn't something you stumble into, it's something you spend effort cultivating.

--Patrick

Mathias

Mathias

Now just imagine doing standup in front of 300 Charlies.
"Hi, folks. I just flew in and boy, are my arms tired!" :D

FLEW IN ON THE CLOUD OF PATRIARCHY AND WHITE PRIVILEGE! I BET TSA DIDN'T EVEN CAVITY SEARCH YOU! :mad:

BY "TIRED ARMS" DO YOU MEAN TIRED FROM RAPING SOMEONE! :cry:

WHO DO YOU MEAN, BOY!??! THAT'S RACIST. HATE CRIME!!!! :mad:

"FOLKS" IS A TRIGGER WORD FOR ME. IT REMINDS ME OF MY OPPRESSIVE PATRIARCHIST PARENTS ! I AM OFFENDED!:eek:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Three pages in, and no one's done this yet?

Just Me

Just Me

Just because, good ol' times.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I told my kid, "Some day you'll have children of your own". He told me, "So will you!"

Mathias

Mathias

Three pages in, and no one's done this yet?

I watched the full video of that lady flipping her shit; there are like two other instances of her doing the same thing to street preachers. I don't think she understands the irony of being a living breathing fucking stereotype.

Cajungal

Cajungal

So...she's not from a sketch? I thought she was.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I was honestly convinced she was, too.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Nope. She's the real deal.

Dave

Dave

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Unless you watch his web-show on his site. I was offended at how horribly un-funny it was.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Chanty Binx. Living cartoon. But not the nice kind.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dave

Dave

I almost posted this when I saw it a couple days ago, but I stopped myself. It's about perfect.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You want to talk comedy? Let's go timing--that comic strip got across the same joke and takes 10 seconds to read.

I think it's funny how millennials talk about the coming end of the baby boomers as if that's somehow going to free them of criticism, not realizing that gen x is right on their heels to be the crotchety old men bitching about kids these days.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think it's funny how millennials talk about the coming end of the baby boomers as if that's somehow going to free them of criticism, not realizing that gen x is right on their heels to be the crotchety old men bitching about kids these days.
About the only thing Gen X is indignant over anymore is the fact that the Millennials are poised to overcome them before they get a chance to rule the world like previous generations. They are politically insignificant at this point, even if they DID lead the charge for Gay Rights (a fight they've all but won at this point). Even if they weren't, Gen X is pretty much the same politically as Millennials.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

About the only thing Gen X is indignant over anymore is the fact that the Millennials are poised to overcome them before they get a chance to rule the world like previous generations. They are politically insignificant at this point, even if they DID lead the charge for Gay Rights (a fight they've all but won at this point). Even if they weren't, Gen X is pretty much the same politically as Millennials.
I hope you're right, because some Gen-Xers I know don't seem to realize they're becoming their parents.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What Gen-X holds against the Millennials is that is is called "X" not Molly...

jwhouk

jwhouk

Never did quite get that whole "Generation X" thing. Mostly because my dad wasn't a baby boomer.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Never did quite get that whole "Generation X" thing. Mostly because my dad wasn't a baby boomer.
There's some generational gaps that I'm not sure are paid much attention. My dad wasn't a baby boomer either, but my wife's was, yet she's younger than me.

On topic, the culture is so PC these days, even Fozzie can't get a laugh:

Dave

Dave

Interesting article in the September Atlantic called "The Coddling of the American Mind". It's about how "trigger warnings" and such are a Very Bad Thing and how college campuses are becoming bastions of non-free speech.

And it touches on the teacher who wrote about the kids and the comedians who refuse to go to colleges any longer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

Covar

Covar

Still reading, but Jesus Christ.

During the 2014–15 school year, for instance, the deans and department chairs at the 10 University of California system schools were presented by administrators at faculty leader-training sessions with examples of microaggressions. The list of offensive statements included: “America is the land of opportunity” and “I believe the most qualified person should get the job.”

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I am a pretty serious lefty, but I'm utterly flummoxed as to how some of my fellow political travelers can suggest with straight faces that everything needs to be an "emotional safe place" for them, but white Americans need to have a long, serious, uncomfortable look at their unknowing contributions to systemic racism and inequality. You really can't make the latter happen if you insist on the former.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Now I want a list of trigger words so I can mutter them as I walk around the U of M campus.

And maybe get a t-shirt made.

PatrThom

PatrThom

And maybe get a t-shirt made.
Make it the word "Triggered" vertically, but with the "T" enlarged and the "r" hooked to form the butt and trigger of a semiautomatic pistol, with the top of the "d" as the muzzle sight.

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, even I think that things have gone too far. I mean, I don't want to go back to a time when it's acceptable to use faggot and the Nword, but jesus christ, people. It's called moderation.

Eriol

Eriol

Interesting article in the September Atlantic called "The Coddling of the American Mind". It's about how "trigger warnings" and such are a Very Bad Thing and how college campuses are becoming bastions of non-free speech.

And it touches on the teacher who wrote about the kids and the comedians who refuse to go to colleges any longer.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/
This needs to be read by far more people IMO.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Neil Gaiman's recently released short story collection is titled Trigger Warnings. The introduction explains the reason for the title is because he figures someone's going to try putting such warnings on his books and he wanted to beat them to it, but that he assumed that the only necessary warning would be that the contents of a book, movie, etc, was intended for a mature audience. Once you were mature, aka into the adult world of media and literature, you accept the responsibility that entails for what you may experience.

And I agree with that. I don't think The Sandman would be improved by slapping labels on it that say "torture" and "suicide". Because the next step will be "non-Christian" and "homosexuality" and "racial equality". The people advocating this never think the pendulum could swing the other way, because they were children only recently. I can't imagine the laundry list you'd put on 1984 to suit multiple parties' interpretations of what is a trigger.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

You know... we're really at the point where we could just put a QR Code on the cover and let people scan that to see what it's warnings are if they really care. I'm kind of surprised they haven't started putting them on posters/covers for games and movies yet, right next to their rating. Basically everyone (but me) has a cellphone capable of reading a QR code.

Dave

Dave

Anne Rice saying on Facebook:

I think we are facing a new era of censorship, in the name of political correctness. There are forces at work in the book world that want to control fiction writing in terms of who "has a right" to write about what. Some even advocate the out and out censorship of older works using words we now deem wholly unacceptable. Some are critical of novels involving rape. Some argue that white novelists have no right to write about people of color; and Christians should not write novels involving Jews or topics involving Jews. I think all this is dangerous. I think we have to stand up for the freedom of fiction writers to write what they want to write, no matter how offensive it might be to some one else. We must stand up for fiction as a place where transgressive behavior and ideas can be explored. We must stand up for freedom in the arts. I think we have to be willing to stand up for the despised. It is always a matter of personal choice whether one buys or reads a book. No one can make you do it. But internet campaigns to destroy authors accused of inappropriate subject matter or attitudes are dangerous to us all. That's my take on it. Ignore what you find offensive. Or talk about it in a substantive way. But don't set out to censor it, or destroy the career of the offending author. Comments welcome. I will see you tomorrow.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I think one of the best point in the article is that these delicate flowers are going to be crushed in the real world. No one gives a shit about someone's microaggressions when that someone is needed to get the job done.

fade

fade

One important thing the audiences seem to be missing is that the jokes are supposed to be offensive. The comedian is absolutely aware of this fact. He or she is leveraging that offense. If a comedian gets up and says something intentionally offensive and it makes you laugh, good. There's a reason why you're uncomfortable, and now you're thinking about it. Ironically, this makes an offensive comedian a more effective social justice warrior than almost 100% of the people jeering because of the offense. That doesn't mean the comedian is intentionally starting a movement, or that that was the intent of the joke, but think for a minute about why we find this stuff funny in the first place (and I'm guessing 90%+ of the booing audience secretly finds the joke funny, which just adds to their own discomfort). There's a reason that's rooted in genetics and human psychology, and adaptation to group dynamics, and it probably has a great deal to do with getting uncomfortable issues out in the open.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I think the problem is that we've got some people now who think that the point of calling out microaggressions is to shut down others so they can feel temporarily emotionally unbothered, when the actual point of calling out microaggressions should be to help the aggressor deconstruct their own language and turn them into an ally.

The whole concept is predicated on the idea that the "aggressor" isn't consciously trying to be so, but has been conditioned by societal forces to think that certain behavior is okay. Because if they're consciously doing it, there's nothing "micro" about it.

Eriol

Eriol

I think the problem is that we've got some people now who think that the point of calling out microaggressions is to shut down others so they can feel temporarily emotionally unbothered, when the actual point of calling out microaggressions should be to help the aggressor deconstruct their own language and turn them into an ally.

The whole concept is predicated on the idea that the "aggressor" isn't consciously trying to be so, but has been conditioned by societal forces to think that certain behavior is okay. Because if they're consciously doing it, there's nothing "micro" about it.
Completely disagree. Simple example: American History X. PLENTY of triggers for many MANY things. But also a good way to shock people into thinking about the topics of race, prison, rape, violence, home defence, and probably a number of other topics too.

So they're INTENDING to set off triggers. And good on them for doing so.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

American History X isn't a "microaggression". You can argue over whether the filmmakers went too far or not in choosing to be consciously triggering, but there is nothing micro about it.

You can also make a pretty strong argument that if a film class if going to show American History X, they should actually warn students because the content of the film is deliberately triggering, but students are still ostensibly there for the purposes of getting grade and can't easily leave halfway through.

Bubble181

Bubble181

That list of cognitive disorders at the end is sobering. I think I fall prey to 9 of the 12. *sigh*[DOUBLEPOST=1439392347,1439392087][/DOUBLEPOST]My interpretation of a micro-aggression doesn't include things like American History X, either. It's supposed to be more the things someone might do that are/can be offensive, because he doesn't know any better. People who grew up in 95% white towns can sometimes be unaware that certain ways of speaking or words can be seen as discriminatory or offensive, not because of ill will but due to lack of experience.
Without the internet, how many of us might call someone with, say, Down syndrome "mongoloid"? It's a derogatory term, but if you don't come into contact with someone who tells you, you might think it's a perfectly acceptable term. Ditto for, say, "dwarf", and so on.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If you do not "bleed" off with micro aggressions, what is to keep things from piling up until they become a macroaggression?

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

If you do not "bleed" off with micro aggressions, what is to keep things from piling up until they become a macroaggression?

--Patrick
Common sense.

Covar

Covar

--Patrick
I take offense to the term bleed. It's clearly a sexist microagression. Maybe throw up a trigger warning next time you decide to be a pig.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Dave

Dave

Thanks, Trump.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I take offense to the term bleed. It's clearly a sexist microagression. Maybe throw up a trigger warning next time you decide to be a pig.
Macroagressor!

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

I feel like this belongs in this thread.

From Psychology Today.

It's too long to post, but it's about how college students just can't handle even the smallest things any longer. I'll leave just one example from the first paragraph that made me giggle.

Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a “bitch” and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them.

Zappit

Zappit

I dread the history books fifty years from now.

"From 2025 until November of 2048, Congress passed no bills that did not involve the legalization of marijuana. When faced with budgets, threats of war, and the need to reform social programs, numerous lawmakers reportedly stated they, 'couldn't even'. America fought no wars, as the military 'couldn't even' as well. Five star general Hunter Dakota Klein famously took to social media to encourage America's various enemies to commit suicide, often mocking their physical appearances."

PatrThom

PatrThom

I dread the history books fifty years from now.

"From 2025 until November of 2048, Congress passed no bills that did not involve the legalization of marijuana. When faced with budgets, threats of war, and the need to reform social programs, numerous lawmakers reportedly stated they, 'couldn't even'. America fought no wars, as the military 'couldn't even' as well. Five star general Hunter Dakota Klein famously took to social media to encourage America's various enemies to commit suicide, often mocking out their physical appearances."
Now there's a writing prompt.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Say what you will about the younger generation, theres one thing that they definitely have in common with previous ones:

The older generation loves to bitch about how much they suck.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

"Get off my lawn, you darn kids!"

"I FEEL AGGRESSED AND UNSAFE!"

"...and yet it's still my fucking lawn!"

Denbrought

Denbrought

I don't have much to contribute on the microagression/your-fave-is-problematic shit (other than pure unadulterated loathing for the concepts). On the trigger warning front, however, I'm very fond of the fairly nuanced position outlined in the following article: The Wonderful Thing About Triggers, by Scott Alexander (ignore the title)

PatrThom

PatrThom

--Patrick

Fun Size

Fun Size

I almost spit my protein shake all over the monitor at that last line.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I almost spit my protein shake all over the monitor at that last line.
It's the best part of the trailer.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Dan it. I cam to post this exact thing. Only 12 hours too late.

blotsfan

blotsfan

When I see comedians complaining that younger people don't find their material funny.

MindDetective

MindDetective

When I see comedians complaining that younger people don't find their material funny.

Well, let's be fair. They aren't complaining that people don't find their material funny. It isn't as if their audiences are merely not laughing or even heckling them. They are receiving indignant outrage as a response.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, let's be fair. They aren't complaining that people don't find their material funny. It isn't as if their audiences are merely not laughing or even heckling them. They are receiving indignant outrage as a response.
See, while I'm "on the side" of the comedians in this case, that's not always a clear way of determining things. I'm fairly sure a comedian making clear and explicit racist jokes would get indignant outrage, too, and it might be appropriate or understandable. There is a difference between making a joke about something and making a joke out of something. Hmm, my language fails me - I'm tired and all - but still. A joke made about some stereotype can be off-color or perhaps a bit risque or "wrong" but still funny; a joke made presuming a circa-1850s Southern USA mindset as the "normal"/"correct" point of view of the audience and joking based off of that would be unfunny and probably get outrage. A lot of people these days don't see the difference between the two, but yeah.

MindDetective

MindDetective

See, while I'm "on the side" of the comedians in this case, that's not always a clear way of determining things. I'm fairly sure a comedian making clear and explicit racist jokes would get indignant outrage, too, and it might be appropriate or understandable. There is a difference between making a joke about something and making a joke out of something. Hmm, my language fails me - I'm tired and all - but still. A joke made about some stereotype can be off-color or perhaps a bit risque or "wrong" but still funny; a joke made presuming a circa-1850s Southern USA mindset as the "normal"/"correct" point of view of the audience and joking based off of that would be unfunny and probably get outrage. A lot of people these days don't see the difference between the two, but yeah.
No, I get it. I think it is fair to say that Jerry Seinfeld didn't suddenly turn racist, though. These are experienced comedians that have well-tread material that is provoking a different response than they have seen before.

Bubble181

Bubble181

No, I get it. I think it is fair to say that Jerry Seinfeld didn't suddenly turn racist, though. These are experienced comedians that have well-tread material that is provoking a different response than they have seen before.
And racist comedians around 1865 or 1955 may have suddenly faced a new generation with more modern and less accepting ideas, too, and had to adapt or die off.

I'm not saying Seinfeld turned racist; I'm saying maybe he was racist all along but only the newer generation sees the racism we all accept as "normal". And not even that - I happen to agree with his point that modern audiences can't not be offended, but maybe I'm just a dinosaur, too.

Hitting the secretary on her ass when passing by was perfectly acceptable in the 1980 in a lot of corporations. Nowadays, it's sexual harassment. Did people doing it suddenly "become" sexist? No, but the societal perception of their actions changed. Saying people getting offended at stuff that used to be OK isn't necessarily saying it's the new generation's problem, perhaps they've just become more sensitive to existing issues. Maybe we're wrong in thinking micro-aggressions are mostly bullshit, I dunno.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Andrew Dice Clay needs to do another college tour.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Andrew Dice Clay needs to do another college tour.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just tried to imitate the Diceman "smoking around the back of my head" schtick

and accidentally slapped my ear just perfectly to render myself deaf on my left side for 5 minutes.

Mwop. Mwop..... Mmmmmwop.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I just tried to imitate the Diceman "smoking around the back of my head" schtick

and accidentally slapped my ear just perfectly to render myself deaf on my left side for 5 minutes.

Mwop. Mwop..... Mmmmmwop.

I bet you kicked in your acoustic reflex!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Saying people getting offended at stuff that used to be OK isn't necessarily saying it's the new generation's problem, perhaps they've just become more sensitive to existing issues.
Can't teach an old dog new tricks, like social issues or a fresh stand-up act :p.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

isn't the only black person speaking role in most of Seinfeld history the Johnnie Cochran parody? And Jerry's love of dating young teenage girls was well-documented even in the 1980's, lol. I like the show Seinfeld and laugh at it, but he's a notorious piece of shit and always has been.[DOUBLEPOST=1465636279,1465636099][/DOUBLEPOST]
perhaps they've just become more sensitive to existing issues. Maybe we're wrong in thinking micro-aggressions are mostly bullshit, I dunno.
yeah. again. so close to getting it here.[DOUBLEPOST=1465636547][/DOUBLEPOST]also Andrew Dice Clay is too busy being the worst part of two failing prestige HBO and Showtime shows to tour. He has to make sure Vinyl and Dice are the only pay TV shows to get cancelled this decade, lol

Mathias

Mathias

"I was eating this chick out and started tounging her asshole. She goes why are you licking my asshole? And I say, cause your pussy stinks!" _ADC

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

"I was eating this chick out and started tounging her asshole. She goes why are you licking my asshole? And I say, cause your pussy stinks!" _ADC

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

And Jerry's love of dating young teenage girls was well-documented even in the 1980's, lol.
Hey, he and Icarus have something in common.

Or are you just being redundant?