Green Vegetables and Fruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once watched a sex expert on TV claim that a vegan diet makes it "sweet and nut-like". Even as a veggie, that somehow creeped me out.

figmentPez

Staff member
I guess asparagus pee has an especially strong odor that one can't miss even if one wants to.
Well, it does, but only if you're both a detector and an eliminator. There's a compound in asparagus that does make your pee stink, but not everyone can smell it, and not everyone's body eliminates it as is via the urine. So there are people whose pee stinks after they eat asparagus, but they never realize it. There are people whose pee doesn't stink from asparagus. I'm one of the unlucky ones who is both an eliminator and a detector. Blech!

I still love asparagus, though. Veggies can be really tasty if they're good quality and cooked right. You'll never catch me going vegetarian, but I love to eat my greenies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Wow, it almost sounds like someone actually studied the link between eating asparagus and having stinky pee.

Oh God, it means somebody also got funding to study that.

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh God, it means somebody also got funding to study that.
You mean someone actually got money to study the human metabolism?! Perish the thought. There couldn't possibly be any importance to studying biochemistry and figuring out how various chemicals are processed by the body. Our sense of smell is just for show and should remain a mystery. Also, no one should bother looking at any chemicals besides the major vitamins and minerals, because if it's not an essential nutrient than it's obviously not important what the body does with it.

Sorry, I'm feeling ranty today. Just because the purpose of science isn't obvious doesn't make it frivolous.

Off Topic:

One time I was having some coffee and reading the newspaper when I flipped to the science section. It was there that I read an article where scientist had proven that ducls prefer standing the rain to swimming in a pond.

They gad a 50, 000 dollar grant to study this.

They basically came out with the finds that DUCKS LIKE WATER.

My mind was fucking blown.

figmentPez

Staff member
Off Topic:

One time I was having some coffee and reading the newspaper when I flipped to the science section. It was there that I read an article where scientist had proven that ducls prefer standing the rain to swimming in a pond.

They gad a 50, 000 dollar grant to study this.

They basically came out with the finds that DUCKS LIKE WATER.

My mind was fucking blown.
And Popular Science explains why that study was important.

Baths, it turns out, are a bad idea. “Commercial duck producers would very much like to provide ducks with bathing water, but—and this is what is so often misunderstood—doing so brings health and welfare problems with it,” wrote one of the researchers, Marian Stamp Dawkins, after her study was ridiculed by British papers. Stagnant ponds can lead to bacterial and fecal contamination that can work its way up the food chain. Showers are better for the fowl and their keepers. “Their health was good,” Dawkins writes, “and they spend even more time in showers...when given the choice.”
This wasn't just a study on the preference of ducks. It was a study on how to best care for the health of commercially raised ducks.

Not that there isn't frivolous science. When my parents lived in Alaska one of their neighbors got a grant to "study the growth of pumpkins" or some bullshit. He threw the seeds on the ground, and recorded "no growth". It wasn't science, it was just bilking the government.

See, if the article explained ANY of that instead of just saying "LAWL DUCKS LIKE RAIN!" I would have been actually informed on something.

What shitty reporting.

Science reporting is some of the worst reporting there is. Most reporters (and their audience) are functionally science illiterate.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Not to mention much of what is reported by media outlets is there for the "shock and awe". It elicits more of a response to say 50,000 dollars were spent on a study that found out ducks prefer showers than to give the entire story. I have eczema. A few years ago there was a study that found use of corticosteroids could possibly increase the risk for skin cancer. The media took off with it. They made it sound like anyone using these medications were in immediate danger. The reality was that your skin can be more photosensitive when you use the medication long term, so you need to take more precautions when exposed to the sun. You didn't see that bit in the media though.

North_Ranger

Staff member
You mean someone actually got money to study the human metabolism?! Perish the thought. There couldn't possibly be any importance to studying biochemistry and figuring out how various chemicals are processed by the body. Our sense of smell is just for show and should remain a mystery. Also, no one should bother looking at any chemicals besides the major vitamins and minerals, because if it's not an essential nutrient than it's obviously not important what the body does with it.

Sorry, I'm feeling ranty today. Just because the purpose of science isn't obvious doesn't make it frivolous.
It was meant as a joke, figmentPez. Jesus, who pissed in your cereal today?

And did it smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.